Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mercator is still the best projection, except for continent-specific conic projection maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They were on all the drugs when they made them. I saw it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Mercator is still the best projection, except for continent-specific conic projection maps.

What the gently caress is this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plate carrée is best for general use, unless you're navigating.
Butterfly is best for being a map for maps sake.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

I'm glad we're finally beginning to admit to ourselves that Norway isn't real

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Eckert III is the best world map projection.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's Kavrayskiy VII by a mile.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The best map projection is probably Rygel XVI.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anything more complex than equirectangular is overthinking it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Powered Descent posted:

Anything more complex than equirectangular is overthinking it.

Oblate-spheroidal globes only. Anything else is a lie. Also they must be printed so that the names of cities and countries and such can be read from any direction.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Go Dymaxion or go home.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
No! Stop now, everyone!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In what map is Europe the biggest continent and is north always up?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This one.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If we're posting stupid maps made for children, here's a couple I found at a closeout store last xmas:

Greater China is strong :china:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The north isn't quite always up on that one.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

steinrokkan posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It's called a globe. Get one, it's neat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
As I was saying, some globes are too inaccurately round.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

As I was saying, some globes are too inaccurately round.

Also a globe will rotate along a fixed axis while the Earth rotational axis wobbles a bit.

+ The actual Earth is hollow.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's full of Nazi reptiloids though, so it evens out

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
What It would be to live in a cylindrical planet?

Ask the players of Empyrion. Empyrion is one of these sandbox games where you craft tools, build bases and vehicles with cubes.
Is currently in development, and they don't have implemented spherical worlds yet. The map for the planets are cylindrical.

Players can smootly transition from the surface of the planet to space, where they see the planet has a sphere.

The devs had a funny idea to stop people going to the parts of their cylindrical map that don't really exist. That part of the map is covered by a huge forcefield.

http://youtu.be./jILIaEKAa1M?t=16m38s

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/discussions/0/451851477891132064/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

What It would be to live in a cylindrical planet?

Ask the players of Empyrion. Empyrion is one of these sandbox games where you craft tools, build bases and vehicles with cubes.
Is currently in development, and they don't have implemented spherical worlds yet. The map for the planets are cylindrical.

Players can smootly transition from the surface of the planet to space, where they see the planet has a sphere.

The devs had a funny idea to stop people going to the parts of their cylindrical map that don't really exist. That part of the map is covered by a huge forcefield.

http://youtu.be./jILIaEKAa1M?t=16m38s

http://steamcommunity.com/app/383120/discussions/0/451851477891132064/

Thank you, ad bot, for your subtle commercial suggestions!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

Thank you, ad bot, for your subtle commercial suggestions!

hhaha.. I have played other similar games where planets are 2D planes, or even cubes, or even dodecadrems. Make for some funny things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyWmyl47AU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

hhaha.. I have played other similar games where planets are 2D planes, or even cubes, or even dodecadrems. Make for some funny things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyWmyl47AU

Woah, a Minecraft clone with a gimmick, what a revolutionary concept

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Lets go back to maps. Planets are boring.

Sorry for this detour :D

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 30, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some old games (and perhaps new ones too) have a simple switch to the other end when you fly off the map. When you fly off the west end, you appear on the east, makes sense.

But in a lot of them, if you fly off the north end, you appear in the far south. Final Fantasy IV certainly did that.

A world in which such a map makes sense is theoretically possible. A world like that would have a torus (donut) shape. I think that if we lived on a world like that, map projection chat would be even worse.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Carbon dioxide posted:

A world in which such a map makes sense is theoretically possible. A world like that would have a torus (donut) shape. I think that if we lived on a world like that, map projection chat would be even worse.

If the universe is not infinite, possibly works like you describe. So if you move in a straight line long enough, you return to the starting position.

I think this article describe is exactly like that "infinitelly finite". But I am not a physic guy.
http://phys.org/news/2015-05-universe.html

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 30, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"Heating degree days are defined relative to a base temperature—the outside temperature above which a building needs no heating. The most appropriate base temperature for any particular building depends on the temperature that the building is heated to, and the nature of the building (including the heat-generating occupants and equipment within it). The base temperature is usually an indoor temperature of 18 °C or 19 °C (~65 °F) which is adequate for human comfort. A similar measurement, cooling degree day (CDD), reflects the amount of energy used to cool a home or business."

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Some old games (and perhaps new ones too) have a simple switch to the other end when you fly off the map. When you fly off the west end, you appear on the east, makes sense.

But in a lot of them, if you fly off the north end, you appear in the far south. Final Fantasy IV certainly did that.

But you can perfectly map/project the torus to a plane so there's no discussion on projections? And you just did that in fact.
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/360533/torus-by-identifying-two-equivalent-points-mod-mathbbz2

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Belgian posted:

But you can perfectly map/project the torus to a plane so there's no discussion on projections? And you just did that in fact.
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/360533/torus-by-identifying-two-equivalent-points-mod-mathbbz2

I was thinking the inner circle of the torus would be smaller than the outer circle so you get a map where the middle is wider than the far ends or something.

I suppose doing what they do in that video and turning the cylinder as you go along the torus would solve that. Except, if you make a map out of that you don't preserve the important bits of a torus: the innermost and outermost circles as a straight line on the map. These lines would be important to, for instance, describe what someone would see when looking up from a certain point on the torus. So the projection with the blobby shape would be useful in some ways.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Having just seen "Monte Isa" on that delightful hypercolour globe, I have to ask- is there a word for towns that only appear on maps for the sake of filling otherwise blank space?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tree Bucket posted:

Having just seen "Monte Isa" on that delightful hypercolour globe, I have to ask- is there a word for towns that only appear on maps for the sake of filling otherwise blank space?

I don't know, but it seems fairly common. When I was a kid we had a globe that had Uranium City labeled on it, apparently just to have something to put there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

injustice.jpg

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Aliquid posted:

injustice.jpg

Florida is not the south.

Well, the actionhandle is. I wonder why I can't get biscuits all day in Pensacola.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aliquid posted:

injustice.jpg

Amerikanische Bürgerkrieg

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Lord Wexia posted:

Florida is not the south.

Well, the actionhandle is. I wonder why I can't get biscuits all day in Pensacola.

Could be a franchising thing. In that Florida McDonalds' are operated by the same people who operate NE franchises.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Aliquid posted:

injustice.jpg

Is Southern Indiana muffin or biscuit territory? Noboby knows, as the giant McBiscuit covers it. Great job!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I live in rural northern Illinois and we have the biscuit menu. What the gently caress local franchise people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aliquid posted:

injustice.jpg

God their muffins are loving hockeypucks. Who eats those? We're stuck with them up here, which is probably a godsend because if they had the biscuits all day I'd be on My 600 Pound Life next year.