Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
More WHM hotbars! These could probably be tweaked a bit but it works for me. I don't tend to do hotbar swapping with cleric stance, I just keep things available to myself and adjust as needed.

My controller schema follows a general idea:

RT abilities are the regular base damage/combo abilities
LT abilities are heals/support (for healers) or extra attack/combo pieces
RT+LT hotbar is cooldowns/toggles I use frequently
LT+RT hotbar is misc spells/toggles/cooldowns I use less frequently.

Main hotbar:

RT: Stone, Stone 3, Aero, Aero 2, Holy, Aero 3, Blizzard 2, Repose (last two could probably be shuffled to another bar but I tend to PvP heal as WHM so I repose a lot)

LT: Cure 1-3, Regen, Medica 1-2, Asylum, Tetragrammaton

Expanded hotbar:

RT + LT: Shroud of Saints, Presence of Mind, Divine Seal, Swiftcast, Cleric Stance, Virus, Eye for an Eye, Fluid Aura

LT + RT: Esuna, Benediction, Assize, Stone 2 (I swap it with Stone 3 on the hotbar if level synched) Stoneskin 1-2, Protect, Raise

I also have a separate bar to manually swap to if needed for Limit Break, Sprint, Surecast and a few potions.

Main thing for controller use, IMO, is to get into some sort of overall way that you personally group your skills regardless of class. My main DPS/combo stuff is always just flat out main hotbar RT; my main cooldown set (whether offensive or defense) is always RT + LT. That way as you swap classes you have a general idea where stuff will be. I know that if I'm on a healer, I need to be holding LT to do my heal spells and they're not mixed in with my DPS stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

vOv posted:

Plus you can't cancel macros, so if you have a complicated macro that uses multiple skills in a row, there's no way to decide 'wait, no, I don't want to do that any more'. Which means that you might wind up blowing a cooldown for no good reason.

Actually, you can, I think it's /macrocancel :eng101:

Still shouldn't use macros except in rare cases though. I sometimes use a Berserk macro to remind my raid's healers when Pacification is coming up (my kingdom for a bard with warden's paean) and there is nothing as annoying as hammering that poo poo five times, starting the chat part of the macro, but not actually doing the loving Berserk :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For controller users, using a <t> macro for ground target effects like Flaming Arrows or Asylum can be handy since unless you are always in exactly the right position for your pre-targetted cursor to put the effect where you want it, you will waste a lot of time aiming the drat thing without the macro.

The downside is that if you make a macro for /ac "Action" <t> then you *have* to have a target to cast it, forcing you to put two buttons on your hotbar if you also want to manually drop them before a pull.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Suitaru posted:

Still shouldn't use macros except in rare cases though. I sometimes use a Berserk macro to remind my raid's healers when Pacification is coming up (my kingdom for a bard with warden's paean) and there is nothing as annoying as hammering that poo poo five times, starting the chat part of the macro, but not actually doing the loving Berserk :argh:

That's why I gave up macros soon after I started.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Suitaru posted:

Don't make a macro for berserk. They're always obnoxious, and having a healer cleanse it will maybe save you a second or two at most. If you do have a bard, it's better to set up an ACT trigger for it instead.

<Spell N="Berserk" T="20" OM="F" R="F" A="F" WV="5" RD="F" M="T" Tt="" FC="-16776961" RV="0" C=" General" RC="F" SS="tts [Berserk]" WS="tts [Pacification in 5]" />

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Who gives a poo poo about using esuna on berserk, you've already gone berserker your damage time is over gently caress off

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Selene gives a poo poo.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Thanks selene

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The mid-patch lull.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Selene gives a poo poo.

Selene is my homegirl.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Next time on Eorza's Got Talent.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Berserk and provoke macros are the most worthless macros in the game.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Failboattootoot posted:

I will use mouseover macros for goad, smoke screen and shadewalker and you will never stop me!

I have a mouseover macro for Aetherial Manipulation, though I should probably get used to actually casting it because it's super annoying when it won't go off because the boss is in the way.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

as a war main, i cringe whenever i see one

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

seiferguy posted:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

how does ifrit-egi kneel if it doesn't have any loving legs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

vOv posted:

I have a mouseover macro for Aetherial Manipulation, though I should probably get used to actually casting it because it's super annoying when it won't go off because the boss is in the way.

You can also mouseover their name in the party list.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

a kitten posted:

Next time on Eorza's Got Talent.

How

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

You can also mouseover their name in the party list.

Oh poo poo, thanks!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

vOv posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks!

It's great, and I'm scooting around all day every day every dungeon.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't fit. Have you actually seen that mount? It's hideous. I for one will not do the event and will actually blacklist anyone i see with that mount or any of the pokemon out.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Technogeek posted:

It doesn't fit. Have you actually seen that mount? It's hideous. I for one will not do the event and will actually blacklist anyone i see with that mount or any of the pokemon out.

I've been waiting for this since the announcement.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Suitaru posted:

If you insist on having a macro like this, put the Berserk line first, then a wait of at least 1, then the chat. So long as you spam it more often than once per second, the chat won't actually start going until you stop spamming it (which is presumably when Berserk has actually gone off).

Of course, the real issues here are that:
- The reason Berserk isn't going off in the first place is largely because you're trying to use it via a macro rather than directly.
- Berserk announcements are annoying and next to pointless for anything except coordinating paean with a bard, and even then there are better ways of doing that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does Technogeek actually still play or does he just trawl the forums for new entries to FFXIV.txt?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Does Technogeek actually still play or does he just trawl the forums for new entries to FFXIV.txt?

It's the real endgame.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i've never set foot in binding coil and when i tried to enter turn 1 in the duty finder i was searching for two hours by the time i gave up. is there anyone who actually does it any more?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i've never set foot in binding coil and when i tried to enter turn 1 in the duty finder i was searching for two hours by the time i gave up. is there anyone who actually does it any more?

Yes but it is typically done in premade groups and ran at level 60 to trivialize mechanics. Just ask in goon FC chat and you'll get plenty of people to jump on that train.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

vOv posted:

Ask me about accidentally mousing over Selene, who does not count as a party member.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Technogeek posted:

He says that like he's never been in leveling roulette with a bare-chested roe dude in a metallic green speedo and fat chocobo head before.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's at least worth a laugh. Provoke macros are just "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME I'M DOING MY JOB"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's at least worth a laugh. Provoke macros are just "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME I'M DOING MY JOB"

I don't have a provoke macro, but sometimes with pubbies I feel like I need one because the other tank just will not stop using their enmity combo while I'm trying to swap, I assume because they don't notice I'm trying to.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

my favourite macros are the macros linked to class-defining stuff that should be used on cooldown

for instance, Ninja's Trick Attack. 60s CD. When you see your group's Ninja use their Trick Attack macro for the first time after 30 minutes in Void Ark, you go into ACT and have a peek and yep

that was indeed the first time they used it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thundarr posted:

For controller users, using a <t> macro for ground target effects like Flaming Arrows or Asylum can be handy since unless you are always in exactly the right position for your pre-targetted cursor to put the effect where you want it, you will waste a lot of time aiming the drat thing without the macro.

The downside is that if you make a macro for /ac "Action" <t> then you *have* to have a target to cast it, forcing you to put two buttons on your hotbar if you also want to manually drop them before a pull.

Just make the next line the same action but without the <t>, if there's no target it'll skip it and go to ground targeting mode, if there is a target it'll cast it and then error the second line due to being busy placing the first one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just make the next line the same action but without the <t>, if there's no target it'll skip it and go to ground targeting mode, if there is a target it'll cast it and then error the second line due to being busy placing the first one.

Thanks, I diidn't realize that was a thing!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Edit: Oh look it's nothing

I'm, at level 15 thau btw halfway there

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 1, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Thanks, I diidn't realize that was a thing!

If you do /merror off it'll stop the error message from showing up in the chatlog (though it'll show display onscreen IIRC).

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Requesting BOOOOOOOOSTO.txt

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I

Um

what

exodus.jpg

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Umm that person put text on your screen without your consent, that is like virtual rape.

• Locked thread