Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure what bearing that has on the writers of the Jewish Press website being insane and lovely. Unless you think they were specifically responsible for getting that pride parade stabber guy arrested and sentenced.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Remember everyone because Hamas is horrible it means Israel should want to imitate it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently free speech violates the Torah and causes gay marriage and Islamic terrorism. I loving love the Jewish Press's constant screeds about how liberalism and freedom are destroying society, and this one's crazier than most

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/modern-liberalism-and-the-death-of-civilization/2016/04/27/

I feel like this is actually :godwin: because it's clearly an overly-verbose reference to "...at least it's an ethos!"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently free speech violates the Torah and causes gay marriage and Islamic terrorism. I loving love the Jewish Press's constant screeds about how liberalism and freedom are destroying society, and this one's crazier than most

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/modern-liberalism-and-the-death-of-civilization/2016/04/27/

quote:

Buber, who renounced Judaism to the extent of marrying a Gentile, propagated the anti-Jewish Hegelian doctrine of Historical Relativism (or moral pluralism). Buber’s book, Two Kinds of Faith, happens to provide a philosophical basis of the “two-state solution” to the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

Buber wrote Two Kinds of Faith to justify by his marriage to a Gentile, a convenient academic justification for a Jew-turned cultural relativist!

but also at the bottom

quote:

About the Author: Professor Paul Eidelberg (Ph.D. University of Chicago) is a political scientist now residing in Jerusalem. He has drafted a Constitution for the State of Israel. His primary interest is the convergence of science and Torah. His magnum opus is "Rescuing America from Nihilism: A Judeo-Scientific Approach" (Lightcather 2014).

oh man its a free ebook!

and this description!

quote:

The purpose of this work is replace the impoverished conception of the universe resulting from postmodernism or the philosophy of the void better known as nihilism. Nihilism has been spreading over Western Civilization for many decades and is quite prevalent in America. To rescue America from this toxic disease will not be an easy task. It will necessitate a fundamental critique of what Americans are most proud of: a college or university education. No longer do they transmit a clear and unwavering sense of national pride and purpose. Indeed, multicultural moral relativism has vitiated America’s primary foundational document, the Declaration of Independence. We must revive the once revolutionary ideas and loftiness of this document; we must clarify the Declaration’s never fully understood concept, “the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God.” This book sets forth a unique method of analyzing the Declaration, whose ideas, rendered more lucid and profound and embracing, are indi …

edit: removed link stupid clickbait survey seeking garbage

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 28, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Of course free speech violates the laws of orthodox judaism. Any religion that calls for death by stoning to anyone who vilifies god cannot be considered compatible with free speech, according to the torah it would seem that the phrase 'goddamnit' ought to carry a death sentence which is somewhat on the side of censorship, imo.

Perhaps it is more absurd to pretend that laws based on some 2700 year old primitive penal code are in anyway compatible with our modern morals?

Part of the absurdity of Secular\Mesoratic jews handing Israel piecemeal to the Orthodox and Messianic sects is that ultimately according to the orthodoxy mesorati and secular jews are just as bad as the gentiles and ought to be either converted ('strengthened' in Israeli messianic colloquialism) or purged. Erev Rav and the such. I already wrote in the past about how many secular kids are indoctrinated into believing that they are flawed jews who should accept the authority of the orthodoxy as far as spiritual matters are concerned. yada yada.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

oh man its a free ebook!

and this description!

"Philosophy of The Void" sounds pretty badass.

You're seem to be implying some arbitrary difference between the Hamas's killings and Israel's (vastly more prolific) killings. I don't morally see any difference between "explicitly" deciding to kill innocent civilians and partaking in actions that you know will result in the death of many civilians. Both sides kill a bunch of innocent people; it just happens that Israel kills a hell of a lot more.

In general I seem to frequently see this idea that a society is morally better - even if it kills a whole bunch of people - as long as it preserves relative stability and prosperity for its own people. That is, Hamas is worse because it also kills other Palestinians, but Israel is not because it reserves its killing for non-Israelis/Jews.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 28, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can anyone help me fish the quote by some British officer (I think) who complains about how the Boers (I think!) fight dirty and don't have the honor of just stepping into the battlefield to get mowed down by superior british arms?

There's also another quote from the manifest destiny era where some american general or politician is boasting about how their particular ethnic cleansing\genocide campaign is the most moral in history or something.

The first quote has appeared in this thread numerous times but I don't have search and don't remember the phrasing so I can't seem to find it on google, the second one I'm not sure was quoted itt, I believe it appears in the first chapter of Finkelstein's image and reality though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

In summary: "Gays and Muslims are subhuman."

There's also some patronizing misogyny as well, of course.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

I'd say its a product of warped ethics.

It starts off by acknowledging that military operations are going to kill civilians but as long as it is for a greater good then its alright as long as it is not intentional, more or less.
then it twists into a sort of idea that the military is ALWAYS putting forth a good faith effort and doubting that makes you some unreasonable bleeding heart or whatever (e: and also the whole "And You Are Lynching Negros" style of whattaboutist arguments to maintain the moral high ground)
then there a general state of callousness and disregard for civilian lives combined with a paranoia that any increased measures to stop killing innocents would result in the "bad guys" getting free reign.
the final stage is total contempt for victims, denial of victim-hood, or denying the humanity of the victims or whatever.

you see it in police as well; I figure it is brought about by a combination of a sort of "moral hazard" where one party has total control over the narrative and use of force and so is going to gravitate towards protecting their own interests, and also as a coping mechanism since believing that there is no alternative to civilian death or denial either its occurrence or the status of victim means you never have to deal with the guilt involved of violating a grave social taboo. the narrative put out by military/police institutions gets picked up by their supporters as well, for similar reasons.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 28, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Soil sifts through my fingers. It is abused soil, fragile and lifeless with no roots to hold it together; years of crops have been sown and harvested and sown and harvested with no fallow seasons in between to let the earth recover. I am like a tree nourished by crooked roots. The earth in which I grow was laid down by the grace of G-d who wore the mountains down so we would have plains to farm. It is sand. It is silt. A cascade of rich and wholesome alluvial loam gushes forth from my vagina. My nipples leak sweet springwater and my tears are like the falling rain. Where I squirt, sunflowers grow. I want to lay my Ariel down in the hot sands of the desert, his desert, that ancient Jewish desert, and I want to gently caress him back to life even if I have to work and work at that dessicated corpse until my fluids wake the flat bleak plains and a dry-climate rainforest spreads all the way to the ocean. Oh my love I want you back.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Now I'm on a train. It's carrying me from the beautiful glass and crystal city that I love back out to the drought-stricken flat land that I also love, but I hate the people there - shrivelled pink lobsters all of them, their minds and hearts untouched by the light. I'm on a train and it smells like deodorant and perishing rubber. Everybody here is old. The sky flies past grey and mottled yet devoid of moisture. I lift the hem of my outrageous dress. My ankles wink. My secret caverns exhale a scent of lichen. The goy near the window stares in amazement as my vagina floats out into the stale breath of others, and it gazes at him with a divine serenity: a meat rose protected by the lethal barbs of my pubic hairs. I begin to dance. My breasts fly loose of their fabric prison. I am all curves and swellings, flanks and bosoms, hair and soulful eyes. The train rushes on. We are over a river. In the water I see myself reflected - my thighs, my nipples, my choice and virgin rear end in a top hat - and I see the face of Ariel in the clouds, smiling at me over the proud slick head of his titanic erection. The train whistle sounds. The security guards advance. It is time. Let us have sex.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's so rare that I see anyone go after Spinoza like that. Paul Eidelberg is a loving idiot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
thread is :five: :five: :five: :five: :five: again welcome back avshalom

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hakimashou posted:

thread is :five: :five: :five: :five: :five: again welcome back avshalom

Would you say you're into uniformed men?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So maybe wrong place to ask but what's the deal with all this talk about antisemitism in the UKs Labour Party?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Ytlaya posted:

You're seem to be implying some arbitrary difference between the Hamas's killings and Israel's (vastly more prolific) killings. I don't morally see any difference between "explicitly" deciding to kill innocent civilians and partaking in actions that you know will result in the death of many civilians. Both sides kill a bunch of innocent people; it just happens that Israel kills a hell of a lot more.

Whenever the argument that Israel wasn't trying to kill civilians comes up, I'm reminded of the time that a reporter asked Timothy McVeigh, "How do you feel about the fact that your bomb killed 19 kids?" and his response was along the lines of, "Oh. I didn't know that the building had a daycare. If I had known that, maybe I would have chosen a different target."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. Most of the people who defend Israel in conversations like this tend to genuinely believe that government-sanctioned violence committed by an organized military is somehow less bad than private individuals committing acts of terror. Usually I can at least understand the warped logic that leads to dumb right-wing opinions, but I honestly don't know where they're coming from here.

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'd say its a product of warped ethics.

The idea that violence in pursuit of national interests committed by identifiable, accountable agents of a state who comport themselves at least somewhat in line with the practice of other states is morally superior to a bunch of people loosely banding together for the purpose of killing as many identified "enemy" civilians as possible isn't novel anywhere, except apparently this thread. It's the basis for pretty much all of customary and written Law of Armed Conflict. Sort of like how, if the sheriff's deputies put someone they reasonably believe committed a crime in jail, but end up releasing them when it turns out they are innocent, people don't get terribly upset, but if Bob, Steve, and Earl throw a sandbag over the head of the guy who they suspect robbed Bob's house, and keep him chained up in Earl's basement while they conduct a Star Chamber-style inquisition, it isn't a good thing.

And yes, intention is a large part of criminal culpability, war crimes or otherwise. Even LOAC accepts that things will go wrong due to the fog and friction of war. That's why administrative discipline for the crew of an American AC-130 that accidentally whacked a MSF hospital through a series of miscalculations and bad information is a just outcome, while Syria's deliberate targeting of hospitals in order to deny medical care to soldiers and civilians in rebel areas is a war crime, even though the result in both cases is a blown up hospital. Justice and criminality don't turn on outcomes or body counts.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Hmmm.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

KomradeX posted:

So maybe wrong place to ask but what's the deal with all this talk about antisemitism in the UKs Labour Party?

https://electronicintifada.net/content/how-israel-lobby-manufactured-uk-labour-partys-anti-semitism-crisis/16481

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Israel is good and should exist.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Accountable to their superior officers who take responsibility for their command, not to some international body or to you personally. Israeli soldiers pretty clearly meet this criteria. Terrorist groups like Hamas generally don't.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hmm yes the MSF hospital targeting in which the US military investigated the US military and decided that the US military had done nothing wrong is a good, uncontroversial example.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Accountable to their superior officers who take responsibility for their command, not to some international body or to you personally. Israeli soldiers pretty clearly meet this criteria. Terrorist groups like Hamas generally don't.

So then wouldn't Syria's deliberate targeting of hospitals meet this criteria too? The people involved are accountable to the Syrian government and not some international body or us personally, after all.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
The conflation of Israel with Jews and Judaism as a tactic to prevent any criticism of Israel needs to be called out more. The labour party in the UK, which has many members who are on the anti-Zionist and pro-Palestine train, has been getting hilariously trolled these past few months by Israel lobby people and their cronies in the media with accusations of anti-Semitism and the Labour party is responding as if they got caught with their pants down (I don't follow UK politics too closely and all this information is coming to me via outlets that cover the I/P issue.)

Here's a Vox.com article covering the controversy. Vox.com can reliably be called "liberal Zionist," so the article, while attempting to seem balanced, just ends up giving legitimacy to the tactic in question.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/29/11526516/anti-semitism-labour-jeremy-corbyn-ken-livingstone

This is the closing line:

quote:

Regardless, one thing is clear: A significant number of prominent Britons see anti-Semitism as a growing problem on the UK left. That's not something Corbyn can just dismiss. It's a perception he's going to have to work to dispel.

Meaning: Hey Corbyn, if you want to dispel the perception that you and your party are anti-Semitic, tone down the criticism of Israel.

Vox.com is a site I like for the most part, even though I'm a moderate on most issues, but one of their glaring flaws is that they do act as a bulwark against criticism of Israel becoming mainstream among the left.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hmm yes the MSF hospital targeting in which the US military investigated the US military and decided that the US military had done nothing wrong is a good, uncontroversial example.
Given that the crew was suspended from duty and subsequently disciplined after a lengthy investigation, it's gonna be real hard to argue that they weren't lawful combatants acting under the command of a competent authority who they were answerable to. If you think their wing commander or whichever other officer presided over their discipline and declined to press charges has been so willfully indifferent in his duties as to tacitly endorse or support a war crime, you can go that route too, but again, gonna be a hard sell.

Ratoslov posted:

So then wouldn't Syria's deliberate targeting of hospitals meet this criteria too? The people involved are accountable to the Syrian government and not some international body or us personally, after all.
Syrian pilots are almost certainly lawful combatants. Their personal degree of culpability would hinge on what they knew and when they knew it. Even if by some miracle you nabbed the pilot that dropped the bombs, and were certain that you could show he knew he was committing a war crime by attacking a protected place when he pulled the trigger, he would still be a lawful combatant and entitled to a fair trial under military courts martial. Unless the Syrian Air Force is in such a sorry state that pilots are deciding what to bomb on their own initiative, you could go after his commander as well for authorizing the mission, all the way up the chain to whoever gave the order in the first place, because that's pretty much the definition of being under a responsible command. It's not exactly novel to insinuate that Assad and his senior generals are not just indifferent to war crimes but are actively sanctioning them as a matter of policy though.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not sure you understand what 'accountable' means in its generally-understood sense.

Also:

quote:

And yes, intention is a large part of criminal culpability, war crimes or otherwise.

There is a difference between moral culpability and legal culpability and when it does come down to legal culpability it's not just a matter of literal intent but involves concepts such as recklessness.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

objects in mirror posted:

The conflation of Israel with Jews and Judaism as a tactic to prevent any criticism of Israel needs to be called out more.

The claim that anti-Semitism allegations are thrown out at the drop of a hat is a ridiculous canard used to stifle debate and really needs to be called out more.

quote:

The labour party in the UK, which has many members who are on the anti-Zionist and pro-Palestine train, has been getting hilariously trolled these past few months by Israel lobby people and their cronies in the media with accusations of anti-Semitism and the Labour party is responding as if they got caught with their pants down (I don't follow UK politics too closely and all this information is coming to me via outlets that cover the I/P issue.)

Ken Livingstone is just a moron, no one would argue that he actually hates Jews, but he sure as poo poo is a political opportunist. Corbyn clearly has no hatred towards Jews at all, but has been idiotic in not forcefully condemning genuine, unambiguous anti-Semites. While both, rightfully, trip over themselves to angrily condemn any hypothetical instance of Islamophobia. Jews are seen as white and part of the establishment upper class and unworthy of the same protections. Similarly, Naz Shah and Malia Bouattia, while hypocrites and loving morons, are not anti-Semites. It's not a matter of direct anti-Semitism with those four, it's that the internal double standard within some realms of progressive politics, and Corbyn reaching out to genuine anti-Semites in other instances.

quote:

Vox.com is a site I like for the most part, even though I'm a moderate on most issues, but one of their glaring flaws is that they do act as a bulwark against criticism of Israel becoming mainstream among the left.

This is loving laughable. Like Vox is a bulwark of anything among the left. It isn't loving Jacobin. It's a Comcast-funded celebration of the neoliberal consensus.

edit: rofl at the autocorrect

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 1, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

objects in mirror posted:

The conflation of Israel with Jews and Judaism as a tactic to prevent any criticism of Israel needs to be called out more.

You can criticize things all you like, but when you start talking about the destruction of a nation founded to protect the Jewish people, then you are talking about genocide.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Maoist Pussy posted:

You can criticize things all you like, but when you start talking about the destruction of a nation founded to protect the Jewish people, then you are talking about genocide.

So who here is calling for Israel to be glassed since you seem kind of hung up on this "THE DESTRUCTION OF ISRAEL" thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think Israel should separate their church and their state. Is that the same thing?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I had a feeling a lot of this was redefining anti-semitism to include Palestinian rights

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I think Israel should separate their church and their state. Is that the same thing?

This is literally genocide, actually

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The idea that violence in pursuit of national interests committed by identifiable, accountable agents of a state who comport themselves at least somewhat in line with the practice of other states is morally superior to a bunch of people loosely banding together for the purpose of killing as many identified "enemy" civilians as possible isn't novel anywhere, except apparently this thread. It's the basis for pretty much all of customary and written Law of Armed Conflict. Sort of like how, if the sheriff's deputies put someone they reasonably believe committed a crime in jail, but end up releasing them when it turns out they are innocent, people don't get terribly upset, but if Bob, Steve, and Earl throw a sandbag over the head of the guy who they suspect robbed Bob's house, and keep him chained up in Earl's basement while they conduct a Star Chamber-style inquisition, it isn't a good thing.

And yes, intention is a large part of criminal culpability, war crimes or otherwise. Even LOAC accepts that things will go wrong due to the fog and friction of war. That's why administrative discipline for the crew of an American AC-130 that accidentally whacked a MSF hospital through a series of miscalculations and bad information is a just outcome, while Syria's deliberate targeting of hospitals in order to deny medical care to soldiers and civilians in rebel areas is a war crime, even though the result in both cases is a blown up hospital. Justice and criminality don't turn on outcomes or body counts.

Conflict theory isn't exactly a bold new theory invented by the something awful forms. Neither is the whole "pirates and Emperors" bit. People without power are a lot less able to shape narrative or law, and this goes doubly so for laws of war or other sorts of international law.

While intent does matter to a degree in criminal culpability, outcome is significantly more relevant when discussing broader outcomes. The goal of justice is not simple retribution, it is restitution, and protection of people from unfair outcomes. I wouldn't want to a doctor to maintain a licence if they kept killing their patients for whatever reason, no matter what their intentions were, because I would rather not see dead patients as an outcome. The question of criminality or legality is actually incredibly irrelevant to this. On a teleological ethical level (the very kind that excuses hospital bombings for a greater good), if the ends are poo poo, then you should really do something to change the ends instead of going on about how noble the means are.

Military operations will kill innocent people, and that can be okay if the ends being pursued are reasonably achievable and due diligence is taken. But the problem here is that I don't actually believe that due diligence is being pursued by many institutions whom have the ability to kill civilians, whether through callousness, groupthink, or just sheer incompetence. As a person opposed to hospital bombings, I do not believe that measures will be taken to prevent these sorts of things from occurring in the future as opposed to those involved just taking the easy way out and going "well poo poo happens", nor am I convinced that hypothetical measures taken to prevent these incidents would jeopardize the goals of the military operation, and I do not think it is reasonable to expect an institution is going to act against its own interests, so taking their internal investigations and statements at face value is a poor way to gauge intent or good will. Thus, I think moral high ground that they stand upon while they rack up a death toll that sometimes dwarfs those they oppose is worth regarding with a great deal of skepticism.

By the by, your cop analogy is a bit bent, since the actions are not really equal. If Bob, Steve, and Earl "put someone they reasonably believe committed a crime in [their basement], but end up releasing them when it turns out they are innocent", while the cops "[threw] a sandbag over the head of the guy who they suspect robbed Bob's house, and keep him chained up in [jail] while they conduct a [Kangaroo Court]-style inquisition", then I'd probably give the cops a hell of a lot more poo poo about it, regardless of whatever the law says. The police have more ethical leeway to make mistakes since in their line of work it is rather unavoidable, but treating it like carte blanche ability to gently caress up constantly because "aw shucks they try their best and they say they're good" is not good, either. There needs to be oversight and accountability, and preferably oversight and accountability by parties that are not sympathetic to them, such as, well, themselves.

Also a genuinely curious question since you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing; when has this sort of military self-investigation deal actually gone and said "Oh poo poo that sort of broke international law, someone call the ICC"?

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 1, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

Given that the crew was suspended from duty and subsequently disciplined after a lengthy investigation, it's gonna be real hard to argue that they weren't lawful combatants acting under the command of a competent authority who they were answerable to. If you think their wing commander or whichever other officer presided over their discipline and declined to press charges has been so willfully indifferent in his duties as to tacitly endorse or support a war crime, you can go that route too, but again, gonna be a hard sell.

Oh the poor dears, they're been suspended from duty (read: they get to go on vacation instead of being in a warzone) and they've been disciplined (some dude with more bling on his uniform than them has wagged his finger at them for a few minutes). That's not a just punishment for a war crime. And besides, they're just the grunts. What about mission control? These guys don't just decide to climb into a plane then wander around looking for things to shoot on their own initiative, they've been told to go there and shoot stuff at such and such coordinates; those who gave them these coordinates and those who okayed the attack are equally culpable.

There's a reason MSF wanted an independent external investigation in this issue; and it's also a reason the USAF denied it: this was a war crime, plain and simple, and an internal investigation is just a way for the USAF to cover its dirty rear end while pretending to save face as much as possible.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this balanescu piece has them changing melodies and time and key signatures completely every three seconds without missing a beat and it's blowing my mind

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sorry wrong thread

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gently caress deleting it though haha, eat my burly yid rear end

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

Er.

I mean.

Often true, yes, but not actually the same thing unless every Jew in the world moved to Israel while I wasn't looking.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Kim Jong Il posted:

The claim that anti-Semitism allegations are thrown out at the drop of a hat is a ridiculous canard used to stifle debate and really needs to be called out more.

Except that they actually are. Edward Said faced baseless accusations of anti-semitism. So has Salaita. And Desmond Tutu. And Stéphane Hessel. And Roger Waters. And Max Blumenthal. And Tony Kushner. And Jimmy Carter. Even Bernie loving Sanders was accused of anti-semitism because he mixed up the number of seriously wounded in Protective Edge with the fatality count. Student pro-Palestinian activists have faced repression and false accusations of anti-semitism repeatedly; look at the SJP at Northeastern whose (Arab) members were threatened with arrest and whose group was suspended for the crime of handing out fliers denouncing Israel's home demolitions policy. Palestine Legal has a pretty good report looking at the organized repression that Palestinian activists face and in many of those examples, false accusations of anti-semitism were used as a tool to silence activism. Anecdotally, after arguing pro-Palestinian positions on forums and comment boards, I have been accused of anti-semitism for using the term "Zionist" to describe a supporter of Israel or for referring to Peter Beinart as a "liberal Zionist" (in the sense of denying he was an anti-Zionist) or for arguing that the IDF's conduct in Protective Edge/Cast Lead was inexcusable. These are not isolated incidents; Israel's supporters (not all of them of course) systematically conflate pro-Palestinian positions with a hatred of Jewish people. Look at the University of California's attempt to conflate anti-Zionism with anti-semitism. Or just read the article you cited:

quote:

But what if we substituted "Zionist" for "Jew", what would happen then? How many would object to "Zionists" being termed enemies of the human race? How many would be glad to see the "Zionist" become impossible? Anti-Zionism has removed much of the need for classical anti-Semitism by recycling the old superstitions as a political critique of the State of Israel. Why risk the ridicule that comes with quoting The Protocols of the Elders of Zion when you can cite The Israel Lobby and win eager nods from academics and commentators? Why deny the Holocaust when you can throw it back in the Jews' faces by fictionalising Gaza as a concentration camp? Why hurl rocks at a Jew in the street when you can hurl endless vexatious UN resolutions at Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Except that you're cherry picking, and there are just as many examples of Alison Weir and Stormfront types JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about international financiers, morons like Joy Karega being wild anti-Semites and claiming they're just anti-Zionist, and things like the Mearsheimer/Walt report playing into centuries of anti-Semitic tropes in additional to being factually wrong, which didn't stop anti-Zionists from dying on the insane Israel is responsible for the war in Iraq hill. (Where the truth is that Sharon actively opposed it on realpolitik terms, but Netanyahu was among many cheerleading for it because he's an idiot, a traitor, and a chickenshit.) Or the insane double standard of the UN's disproportionate criticism of Israel, to the point where UNESCO resolutions are saying things like the Western Wall is an entirely Islamic site.