Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

That's a quote that refers to how following Jesus will bring division, that it will separate people who follow him ideologically and faithfully against those that do not.

Maybe Justice League will have the superhumans (and Batman) against the world. But I think it's more likely to have its only schism being against Darkseid and his literal army of demons.

quote:

So you're saying the superheroes are going to focus on thwarting supernatural threats so that normal humans can be left to handle being fundamentally good?

I think there's a disconnect when your savior metaphor only inspires changes that matter in other "saviors".

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's a quote that refers to how following Jesus will bring division, that it will separate people who follow him ideologically and faithfully against those that do not.

This was the plot of Batman v Superman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nevermind that the actual Christ metaphor has more in common with say, Last Temptation than striking crucifix poses. All of the scenes that depict him as a Christ figure or demigod are deeply uncomfortable.

You shouldn't worship Superman, that'd be just silly.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 30, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As obvious as this stuff is, somehow it's always skipped over that Clark is aware of how he's viewed and doesn't yet know how to play the part, instead of simply being Born Good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just popping in to say that Joss Whedon's two Avengers movies made nearly 3bn together, and we should be kissing his feet as the clear and obvious cinematic genius that he is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Just popping in to say that Joss Whedon's two Avengers movies made nearly 3bn together, and we should be kissing his feet as the clear and obvious cinematic genius that he is.

By all means, point out the flaws in the math, about how the success of BvS properly relates to other movies. I can learn from my mistakes, and I am willing to admit that I didn't have a proper understanding of just what this movie achieved in terms of raw numbers. As I've stated before, I have trouble distinguishing real, applicable events in terms that aren't absolutely good, or absolute bad.

But again - this was brought up in regards to whether or not there's validity in regards to whether or not any success or lack of success or WHATEVER is affecting the making of MORE of these movies behind the scenes. Marvel is Marvel; they're competing with Warner Bros. financially, and are relevant to the issue of box office take only in terms of how they influence the market these stories enter into. This discussion is repeatedly trying to mix the subjective quality of the movie with discussion about the results and how The Sausage is Made, and thus, things are getting muddled. I won't pretend I haven't added to that confusion either, by trying to have two conversations at once.

I'm writing this in an attempt to course correct. The original point wasn't which superhero movie franchise is factually better. It isn't about who's a bigger genius, or who is going to win. Did BvS succeed in its financial goals, and how does that relate to the rumors and questions of whether or not DC is concerned? How will this affect their superhero movie franchise going forward? That's what I'm trying to make sense of.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TFRazorsaw posted:

Did BvS succeed in its financial goals, and how does that relate to the rumors and questions of whether or not DC is concerned? How will this affect their superhero movie franchise going forward? That's what I'm trying to make sense of.

I don't know.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

How will this affect their superhero movie franchise going forward?

Well Snyder's still making Justice League, so expect another good movie that you think is bad because it's not garishly cartoonish enough.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what I'm trying to make sense of.

And failing to make sense of.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wheeee posted:

Well Snyder's still making Justice League, so expect another good movie that you think is bad because it's not garishly cartoonish enough.

I already know that's not changing. But considering it started filming in a very narrow time frame after BvS premiered that doesn't mean his position isn't potentially contentious.

I'm gonna ignore that last part out of an attempt at self control and continue to avoid the "two conversations at once" thing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Well maybe next time they won't make Snyder cut half an hour out of the movie, disrupting the flow and clarity of events.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

As obvious as this stuff is, somehow it's always skipped over that Clark is aware of how he's viewed and doesn't yet know how to play the part, instead of simply being Born Good.

People put too much emphasis on the fact that he's an alien. Largely I think his alien heritage is irrelevant. The basic story wouldn't change if he was human with powers. He was raised 100% on Earth. If Bruce Wayne is a mask that Batman wears, Superman is a mask that Clark Kent wears. Despite its faults, Smallville does a great job of portraying this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wheeee posted:

Well maybe next time they won't make Snyder cut half an hour out of the movie, disrupting the flow and clarity of events.

Just gonna save this quote for July 16ths Ultimate Cut release

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

By all means, point out the flaws in the math, about how the success of BvS properly relates to other movies. I can learn from my mistakes, and I am willing to admit that I didn't have a proper understanding of just what this movie achieved in terms of raw numbers. As I've stated before, I have trouble distinguishing real, applicable events in terms that aren't absolutely good, or absolute bad.

But again - this was brought up in regards to whether or not there's validity in regards to whether or not any success or lack of success or WHATEVER is affecting the making of MORE of these movies behind the scenes. Marvel is Marvel; they're competing with Warner Bros. financially, and are relevant to the issue of box office take only in terms of how they influence the market these stories enter into. This discussion is repeatedly trying to mix the subjective quality of the movie with discussion about the results and how The Sausage is Made, and thus, things are getting muddled. I won't pretend I haven't added to that confusion either, by trying to have two conversations at once.

I'm writing this in an attempt to course correct. The original point wasn't which superhero movie franchise is factually better. It isn't about who's a bigger genius, or who is going to win. Did BvS succeed in its financial goals, and how does that relate to the rumors and questions of whether or not DC is concerned? How will this affect their superhero movie franchise going forward? That's what I'm trying to make sense of.
The only possible way I could ever be even remotely bothered if BvS' financial performance was within the boundaries of what Warner Brothers wanted it to be, is if it was my job to be concerned with such a thing.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Wheeee posted:

It's still a failing of a director as much as the studio if the director can't deliver a compelling product within the time constraints that are obviously going to be imposed on a Hollywood blockbuster in today's world. It's not like Snyder didn't know this would happen.

I mean as much of a mess as Age of Ultron was, at least Whedon owns it. I'm sure the director's cut of BvS will be better, perhaps much better, but that doesn't make it less of a cheat in my mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ridley Scott is a failed director cause Kingdom of Heaven wasn't very good until the directors cut.

What a old bro hack shithead.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wheeee posted:

But enough about Civil War...

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Less than a week until Civil War! I'm so psyched. Anyone else psyched?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel like there is a reference to the discussion in this thread in Civil War. Cap and Iron Man are Batman and Superman (both can be either based on how you look at it), Zemo is Warner Bros who set them up to fight, and there's a guy at the end who represents comic book fans. He asks Zemo how does it feel like to have his plan (of making Cap and Iron Man fight each other) fail and Zemo answers "did I?"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

They also inspired pages and pages of arguments in this thread, so according to BravestOfTheLamps' "people argue about it = quality" metric, the Avengers films are also two of the greatest films of all time.

Also, we argued about how much money BvS made at length so therefore it use have been a worthwhile argument.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Marky Marx posted:

Until I saw clips of it, yeah. Now in thinking it looks just okay.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People put too much emphasis on the fact that he's an alien. Largely I think his alien heritage is irrelevant. The basic story wouldn't change if he was human with powers. He was raised 100% on Earth. If Bruce Wayne is a mask that Batman wears, Superman is a mask that Clark Kent wears. Despite its faults, Smallville does a great job of portraying this.

It's part of what's made the interplay between Batman and Superman so interesting to me. On the one hand, you've got a godlike alien whose saving grace is his humanity. On the other hand, you've got a human who shuns his humanity as weakness. That's why I have no problem with Superman killing. He's human enough to make that judgement, whereas Batman's dysfunction makes him terrified that maybe he can't.

Marky Marx posted:

My psych level is medium. I was more psyched for Deadpool, but I'm looking forward to this, especially because of the good word of mouth I'm hearing about it.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 30, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Vintersorg posted:

Ridley Scott is a failed director cause Kingdom of Heaven wasn't very good until the directors cut.

Again, saying that a director or film failed to do something is not the same thing as calling it a failure.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

They also inspired pages and pages of arguments in this thread, so according to BravestOfTheLamps' "people argue about it = quality" metric, the Avengers films are also two of the greatest films of all time.

Also, we argued about how much money BvS made at length so therefore it use have been a worthwhile argument.
If movies are the dominant and most profitable art form of our age, surely we're allowed to broaden our horizons? After all, according to this metric, the Avengers movies are literally the greatest cultural artifacts in the history of our species.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

No, they inspired page on page of people refusing to understand basic rules of cinematography.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vintersorg posted:

I think Kingdom of Heaven is the exception that proves the rule. It can't be the trump card that wins every argument against directors cuts

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think Kingdom of Heaven is the exception that proves the rule. It can't be the trump card that wins every argument against directors cuts

Blade Runner, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Touch of Evil, The Big Red One, Brazil, Mimic...

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 30, 2016

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Wasn't Daredevil's director's cut one that made the movie go from "bad" to "kinda okay"?

Edit: I haven't seen DD's director cut, but read in the forums that the people who saw it had that opinion. I did see the director's cut of Apocalypse Now, and I believe it's a better version.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Watchmen DC made it go from Pretty Good to Pretty Awesome, so there's that if you want an example that's actually from the same director working for the same company making a superhero comic book movie.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Until I saw clips of it, yeah. Now in thinking it looks just okay.

That may actually be a good thing for your ultimate perception of the movie.

I went into Batman v Superman expecting it to be a shitshow due to all the bad press it was getting; in fact, I only saw it at the cinema due to a combination of having recently watched (And enjoyed) Man of Steel for the first time, and just being bored that evening. Turned out that it was a pretty good movie despite its flaws and I came away satisfied.

I'll probably go see Civil War and I'll probably be happy with it, because all I'm expecting is a merely okay dumb action movie on the same level as Winter Soldier. All it has to do to succeed in my mind is be better than the atrocious Avengers films and I'm sure it will be.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought people liked Avengers 1, just not 2

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

Watchmen DC made it go from Pretty Good to Pretty Awesome, so there's that if you want an example that's actually from the same director working for the same company making a superhero comic book movie.

He also added a scene to Dawn of The Dead for home video while reinserting the Gore he had to remove for the theatrical. His Sucker Punch extended cut adds a number of tiny character moments and one big scene that makes Jon Hamm integral to the movie's message and not a "oh hi there" cameo appearance.

In fact I think Man of Steel might be the only live-action Snyder movie that doesn't have a director's cut. Even 300 has a "Complete Experience" cut that inserts some moments here and there. It seems like he at some point just hands his preferred cut over to the studio and if they snip it up he makes sure that the pre-snipped one will make it out into the world in a reasonable amount of time.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Man, I'm just happy Spiderman is in the Avengers. Then they can get the Fantastic Four back and put them in the Avengers. Then they can bring the Defenders into the Avengers. Then they can bring the Guardians of the Galaxy into the Avengers. They they can bring back Ghost Rider and put HIM in the Avengers. Then they can work out a deal with Fox and put the X-men and Deadpool in the Avengers.

Then at that point Disney will have made so much money that they will buy the DC universe and put THEM in the Avengers.

Then there will be peace.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was pleasantly surprised with Winter Soldier, but I'm not expecting a shitshow, just more of the same, really.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I've been saying for a while now that I fully expect there to be a shared Marvel/DC movie universe by 2025.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Is it just me or is it that comic book movies fail the hardest/are least popular with hardcore fans when they take popular characters and don't do them justice?

Deadpool in Wolverine Origins
Dr Doom in any Fantastic Four movie (maybe with the exception of that one that got his look right but hosed everything else up)
Batman and Superman in Batman V Superman
(I can literally make this list forever)

All of these movies seem to illicit a real sense of pure despise from the nerd community. If some people didn't like BvS, it might be because they wanted it to be good, because they like the property involved and hate to see it shat all over? Not just Marvel fans, people who enjoy quality comic book themed entertainment in general.

Not to mention people who take literal umbrage with the fact that other nerdos don't vehemently defend the properties they claim to enjoy yet don't mind witnessing being ruined by ham fisted directing.

BvS is a perfect storm of nerd rage.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 1, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Part of what makes the Snyder/Cavill Superman so good is that they're purposefully downplaying the Jesus aspects of the character while emphasizing the Moses aspects. He gets angry, makes mistakes, and even tries to shirk his responsibilities.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Regarding Christ metaphors, I think the reason Christ metaphors work badly with Superman is that Superman keeps on dying and coming back to life over and over again. In the standard narrative of the heroic sacrifice, the idea is that the sacrifice is meaningful because you think it's permanent, and indeed even when the hero comes back it's never quite the same.

Whereas we've already seen this thing played in Superman Returns, and in wider media, to the extent that it's pretty much become a schtick.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Avenger 'debate' was like "wow that's really amateurish" vs. "stop being so critical." In other words, the debate was over the quality itself.

With BVS, there's a consistent reaction of "I don't care how good it looks; batman does not kill pepl!!" and that's the sign that something very interesting is going on.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

I've been saying for a while now that I fully expect there to be a shared Marvel/DC movie universe by 2025.

I for one can't wait for the fanboy response to Superman snapping Iron Man's neck.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

With BVS, there's a consistent reaction of "I don't care how good it looks; batman does not kill pepl!!" and that's the sign that something very interesting is going on.

Be fair, there's also a lot of complaining about it not having enough jokes to remind the audience that nothing happening on screen actually matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marky Marx posted:

Dr Doom in any Fantastic Four movie (maybe with the exception of that one that got his look right but hosed everything else up)

The first Fantastic Four movie's problem was that it was never ever intended to be released. Otherwise it's the most faithful comic book movie ever to be made especially the lovely plot and awful visuals.

• Locked thread