Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

In which case, why the hell would he ever think Capcom would hire him on as a contractor after he basically abandoned Capcom? What did he think would happen, that they'd say yes and hire him again?

Probably wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Inafune got promoted mere months before he left Capcom. Maybe I'm being too :tinfoil: about it, but I'm starting to wonder if Inafune intentionally set Mega Man Legends 3 to fail, after he left Capcom so he'd get more support. If it was his dream project, why would he leave it before completion? And why would he leave after finally getting promoted?

He announced his departure a month after MML3 was announced and it was cancelled more than half a year after he left. That'd would have been a pretty elaborate plan.

ImpAtom posted:

Inafune offered to have his new company come back and finish MML3. This is an openly stated fact. So at bare minimum he started a game and then expected Capcom to hire his new company to finish it. If that wasn't intentional it's still pretty weird.

He offered to stay as a contractor to finish his projects when he resigned. Founding Comcept came after that.
https://web.archive.org/web/20131110210246/http://www.edge-online.com/news/inafune-offered-finish-mega-man-legends-3/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

He offered to stay as a contractor to finish his projects when he resigned. Founding Comcept came after that.
https://web.archive.org/web/20131110210246/http://www.edge-online.com/news/inafune-offered-finish-mega-man-legends-3/

Bullshit. Comcept was officially founded on December 1st 2010. Inafune left Capcom at the start of November in 2010. It was literally a month between the two and if Inafune had stayed on as a contractor it would have been as part of Comcept.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I know most people probably assumed he was talking about Legends 3 there, but the great irony (?) is that I think the game he's referring to there is Mega Man Universe, which many gamers didn't even really seem to respond all that well to at first if I remember right? Like people were looking forward to creating Mega Man levels but the art style was...actually now that I think about it the art style was kinda like what MN9 would end up looking like eventually.

I was actually pretty glad that game got canned.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Bullshit. Comcept was officially founded on December 1st 2010. Inafune left Capcom at the start of November in 2010. It was literally a month between the two and if Inafune had stayed on as a contractor it would have been as part of Comcept.

Founding a company is a matter of filling in a few forms.
He officially announced the company in April 2011.

The contractor discussion would have been after he handed in his resignation.
That's why he "offered to stay as a contractor". Staying is hard after leaving.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really hope Bloodstained comes through with flying colors. I would have actually donated to MN9, I'm a pretty big fan of Mega Man, but this is just awful.

Pretty much every kickstarter that has a name that was big years seems to end in a disappointingly controversial fire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Founding a company is a matter of filling in a few forms.
He officially announced the company in April 2011.

The contractor discussion would have been after he handed in his resignation.

It's pretty unlikely that he didn't actually have a plan when he left Capcom, and even more unlikely if Capcom had said yes he would have just shrugged and go "Oh, okay, I guess I won't found my own company then." Especially considering the role Comcept has taken in development in everything they work on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Julian Gollop's game turned out pretty much as he proposed, and Toejam & Earl isn't out yet but they're plodding away just fine right now.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Was the base concept of that game some sort of Mega Man Maker? Because the little bit of that MM:PU had was neat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Idk Broken Age was kinda weak.

Kinda weak is fine for a kickstarter project. It's only a failure if you don't deliver what you promised, and no one can accuse Broken Age of not being a Point and Click adventure game written by Tim Schafer. Plus it got pretty good reviews, the only people who are really down on it are people who backed the kickstarter hoping for something like Grim Fandango 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blackheart posted:

Was the base concept of that game some sort of Mega Man Maker? Because the little bit of that MM:PU had was neat.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it was - you could make levels and also custom player characters with different attributes, and they had demos with other Capcom characters running around and stuff. It was playable at TGS one year and everyone who played it said it controlled poorly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, that was the point of MMU. It was going to be basically Mario Maker before Mario Maker and let you create customized Mega Men (including Bad Box Art Mega Man and Capcom cameos like Ryu.)

The early word on it was pretty negative but it also never got very far.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty unlikely that he didn't actually have a plan when he left Capcom, and even more unlikely if Capcom had said yes he would have just shrugged and go "Oh, okay, I guess I won't found my own company then." Especially considering the role Comcept has taken in development in everything they work on.

You claim Comcept was founded with the intend to continue development of MML3.
After Capcom told Inafune they don't want him anymore. And half a year before it was actually cancelled (and they still not wanting him back).

You are trying to link Inafune leaving with him offering to pick up the scraps. They are seperate events.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

You claim Comcept was founded with the intend to continue development of MML3.
After Capcom told Inafune they don't want him anymore. And half a year before it was actually cancelled (and they still not wanting him back).

You are trying to link Inafune leaving with him offering to pick up the scraps. They are seperate events.

No I'm not. I'm saying that if Inafune had been allowed to pick up the scraps it would have been Comcept's first project as an outside contractor and I doubt that isn't true. Comcept was even credited for Inafune's support in Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk II, there is no way it wouldn't have been if he'd kept up MML3 development.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying that if Inafune had been allowed to pick up the scraps it would have been Comcept's first project as an outside contractor and I doubt that isn't true. Comcept was even credited for Inafune's support in Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk II, there is no way it wouldn't have been if he'd kept up MML3 development.

What does this mean, then?

ImpAtom posted:

Inafune offered to have his new company come back and finish MML3. This is an openly stated fact. So at bare minimum he started a game and then expected Capcom to hire his new company to finish it. If that wasn't intentional it's still pretty weird.

This reads like a conspiracy theory.

When Inafune offered continuing as a contractor, Comcept didn't exist. Give me a proof he was going to found it if Capcom had kept him.
Of course Comcept can be in Neptunia Mk II's credits, it was released in August 2011. I don't know what this is supposed to prove. By the time MML3 was canned, Neptunia 2 would have already finished development. The previous game was released in August 2010, so Inafune would have been independent for most of its development.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

When Inafune offered continuing as a contractor, Comcept didn't exist. Give me a proof he was going to found it if Capcom had kept him.

Oh, actually:

“So, I told them that I was going to found my own independent company and leave Capcom. However, I stated that I was ready to make a contract with them so that I could keep working on those projects that I started. I couldn't start making contracts with other publishers for sure if Capcom agreed to the proposition, but I wanted to see those projects that I started to completion. But it couldn't be done. They answered, 'We have no need to do that.'"

Here is the direct quote from Inafune where he says he was going to found his own company.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 30, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shut up and read these MML interviews! http://shmuplations.com/megamanlegends/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Quote is not edit

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 30, 2016

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Speaking of Legends, I'm playing Legends 2 for the first time on PSP (downloaded it from PS3) and I just got the 4 keys and, man, I don't know what the gently caress is going on asides from a bunch of tan skinned green haired children somehow being associated with The Master (is this supposed to be Zero?) except some of them can turn into giant falcon gold and silver Reaverbots and HUH WHAT :aaaaa:

(I'm guessing most of this gets explained at the end?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Speaking of Legends, I'm playing Legends 2 for the first time on PSP (downloaded it from PS3) and I just got the 4 keys and, man, I don't know what the gently caress is going on asides from a bunch of tan skinned green haired children somehow being associated with The Master (is this supposed to be Zero?) except some of them can turn into giant falcon gold and silver Reaverbots and HUH WHAT :aaaaa:

(I'm guessing most of this gets explained at the end?)

You'll get a big ol' plot dump right near the end, yeah.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Master is definitely not Zero despite the flowing golden mane.

or am I totally wrong on this? I always thought he was The Last True Human but I can't honestly remember if that was actually from the game, and it would be just like Inafune to throw Zero into the central plot role of yet another sub-franchise.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I really hope Bloodstained comes through with flying colors. I would have actually donated to MN9, I'm a pretty big fan of Mega Man, but this is just awful.

Pretty much every kickstarter that has a name that was big years seems to end in a disappointingly controversial fire.

I donated to IGA because I trust him more than I do Inafune. And I don't really regret backing Bloodstained so far either, since it already looks much better in its early stages than Mighty No. 9's supposed near final build does.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I donated to IGA because I trust him more than I do Inafune. And I don't really regret backing Bloodstained so far either, since it already looks much better in its early stages than Mighty No. 9's supposed near final build does.

To be fair, Mighty No. 9 looked like it was going really well for a while there. It wasn't until around the Red Ash delay that the game started it's slow decline to disappointment. I'd wait to see if IGA gets burdened with a variant of Inafune's ever-'evolving' vision before judging a two-year younger project.

At the very least he'll hopefully not try to crowdfund the spinoff before the game even comes out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

At the very least he'll hopefully not try to crowdfund the spinoff before the game even comes out.

I can't believe no one stopped them from doing that. It was such bad PR.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cant believe no one told them that the game looks like a low-res pile of trash now.

Cel-shaded Beck, suplexing robots for powers in bright cheery colors... What could have been...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I wish Inafune would have kickstarted Red Ash first and handed off MN9 to some shady Chinese mobile developer. I know it would still lead to insane delays due to mismanagement but I think I'd end up happier with both final products in the end (five years from now when they actually release).

EDIT: PINOBEE! That's what MN9s dumb dash attack system reminds me of! God drat Pinobee for the GBA! What an awful game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Pinobee was alright.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Is there any way to get MegaMan Trigger's notoriety in MML2 down? (make him lighter again?) I've kicked pigs so much the ladies at the Mayor's House on Manda Island won't let me take the friggin' quiz and thus can't get the parts to complete the Blade Arm....

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

LemonLimeTime posted:

Is there any way to get MegaMan Trigger's notoriety in MML2 down? (make him lighter again?) I've kicked pigs so much the ladies at the Mayor's House on Manda Island won't let me take the friggin' quiz and thus can't get the parts to complete the Blade Arm....

I remember donating large amounts (I forget to who, it's been a decades since I played the game last) being a good way to get your alignment up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LemonLimeTime posted:

Donate to the church. Before you do though make sure you get the weapon part from that guy hanging around the same area as the elevator to the ruins in the desert city.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Donate to the church. Before you do though make sure you get the weapon part from that guy hanging around the same area as the elevator to the ruins in the desert city.

1. note that the cost in zenny to go from full black to full white is absolutely insane.
2. Ohh noo, you might have missed out on the horrible "intentionally walk in on your adopted sister in the shower" scene. Poor you, time to restart.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mega Man Legends 2 sure sounds like a great game that we deserved a follow-up to.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

1. note that the cost in zenny to go from full black to full white is absolutely insane.
2. Ohh noo, you might have missed out on the horrible "intentionally walk in on your adopted sister in the shower" scene. Poor you, time to restart.

What brought up 2?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pretty sure Roll is supposed to be Volnutt's romantic interest, due to the original existence of Artillery.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Mega Man Legends 2 sure sounds like a great game that we deserved a follow-up to.

it's

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
megaman command mission on psn when

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where you fought Tiesel Bonne?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LemonLimeTime posted:

Where you fought Tiesel Bonne?

Yeah, also just remembered that's where you can trade in the reaverbot claw if you have it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

megaman command mission on psn when

Never and I'm sad for it

Most of the new characters were ok at worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011