Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hemophilia posted:

zephyr teachout is a loving excellent name

Sounds like a World of Warcraft NPC name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
FLYYYYY AWAY ON MY ZEPHR

I FEEL IT MORE THAN EVER

AND IN THIS PERFECT

WEATHER

WE'LL FIIIIIIIIIND A PLAAAACE TOGETHAAAA

FLLLLYYY ON MY WIIIIIND

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

m'eh

not impressed. I could do better.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

My Imaginary GF posted:

m'eh

not impressed. I could do better.

Prove it

I'll buy you a sammich as big as 2 babies

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

hemophilia posted:

zephyr teachout is a loving excellent name

excuse me it's zephyr RAIN teachout

lmfao she must have the hippiest parents ever in existence like srsly that's basically 'river/rain/summer phoenix' level hippie.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

Prove it

I'll buy you a sammich as big as 2 babies

Purchase me PM's, establish a rapport with me. and see that I am the motherfucking real deal young-gun progressive who gonna get nationwide HSR loving built chooochoooo motherfuckers

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

My Imaginary GF posted:

Purchase me PM's, establish a rapport with me. and see that I am the motherfucking real deal young-gun progressive who gonna get nationwide HSR loving built chooochoooo motherfuckers

Dude, I don't even have PM's either. You expect me to buy it for you?

:saddowns: no free lunch for you

Although keep on with the train stuff, add fiber utility lines to it and you'll be like 60% good and 40% cool.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

Dude, I don't even have PM's either. You expect me to buy it for you?

:saddowns: no free lunch for you

Although keep on with the train stuff, add fiber utility lines to it and you'll be like 60% good and 40% cool.

gently caress fiber utility lines

I want LEO access thats affordable on a household income for a family of 4.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

My Imaginary GF posted:

i thought this was high speed rail, not a space elevator

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i thought this was high speed rail, not a space elevator

If you make the rails high enough speed, what cha think gonna happen? If roller coast tycoon is anything to go by, affordable LEO access!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

My Imaginary GF posted:

LEO has too much latency and has too many uncontrollable points of failure

Although have you heard of OuterNet?
https://www.outernet.is

They're doing broadcast stuff from sats and are throwing up cubesats later this year, along with hopefully shipping their receiver for the planetwide signal later this year too.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lantern-one-device-free-data-from-space-forever (They changed the design so check the updates to see the current one)

You currently can use it for free if you have a receiver and dish, but only in NA, EU North Africa and some other places.

I backed it and hope they complete it, as they already had a service established so I'm sure they'll complete it someday. Had some delays due to partnering with a sattelite company and redesigning the lantern to also support some potential up-stream data rather than just 100% downstream.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you make the rails high enough speed, what cha think gonna happen? If roller coast tycoon is anything to go by, affordable LEO access!

So what you're really asking for is a rail-launcher for aerospace deployment.

Wouldn't the G's kill the people onboard? :ohdear:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Classic Comrade posted:

excuse me it's zephyr RAIN teachout

lmfao she must have the hippiest parents ever in existence like srsly that's basically 'river/rain/summer phoenix' level hippie.

her wikipedia says her parents are Vermont-area academics so yeah, but good hippies and not abusive pedo sex cult hippies.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mr. Horrible posted:

Speaking of everyone's favorite mayor-who-looks-like-a-roadie, he's back home with his family. :3:

http://www.phillymag.com/citified/2016/04/29/john-fetterman-senate-campaign/

And he has some words about our organizing game:

Would better communication between campaigns and organizations really make that big a difference? Maybe with the balkanization of the left one of our first hurdles will be some sort of solidarity charm offensive?

Boba Fett is 100% right.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Here's an article on the patronizing attitude towards Bernie supporters/progressives and how the DNC at large is basically shooting itself in the foot by taking this line: http://usuncut.com/politics/democrats-dnc-bullying-sanders/

Also clicked on a pretty WTF? article about DNC leaders deliberately working against the president's goal of pharmaceutical transparency: http://usuncut.com/politics/democrats-big-pharma-obama/

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

I am the motherfucking real deal young-gun progressive who gonna get nationwide HSR loving built chooochoooo motherfuckers

If you do this I will eat an entire Imo's pizza with the toppings of your choice.

E: But you'll have to buy me plat to PM me when you get it done.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Someone gave progressives a bunch of guns (bernie) and now the meek shall inherit the earth motherfucker

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

ThndrShk2k posted:

So what you're really asking for is a rail-launcher for aerospace deployment.

Wouldn't the G's kill the people onboard? :ohdear:

Some of the largest coasters are about 120 meters tall (we'll call that ~150 m barrel length)

In order to leave Earth's orbit you need to hit about 1100 meters per second.

We'll call 5 g's the maximum 'acceptable' acceleration.

If we need to hit 11000 m/s in 150 m that means we need to come up to speed in an average of .015 seconds putting us at a roller coast car full of very dead humans.

This isn't the velocity needed to reach LEO which is probably a lot lower but that poo poo would require a bunch of math with trajectories and gravity and I really don't feel like doing that. :v:

e: Oh huh it was easier to find than I thought. 7800 m/s in 150 m gives us about .02 seconds.

Yes, I should be doing integrals on the acceleration to actually find velocity. No I'm not going to do it I'm lazy. The numbers are so extreme that I can tell you right now that using a roller coaster to launch people into LEO will in fact kill them.

NumberLast has issued a correction as of 01:42 on May 1, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Subjunctivitis posted:

Here's an article on the patronizing attitude towards Bernie supporters/progressives and how the DNC at large is basically shooting itself in the foot by taking this line: http://usuncut.com/politics/democrats-dnc-bullying-sanders/

Also clicked on a pretty WTF? article about DNC leaders deliberately working against the president's goal of pharmaceutical transparency: http://usuncut.com/politics/democrats-big-pharma-obama/

I'm sure none of that coincided with a big check to the Hillary Victory Fund

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This dude is running for Barbara Boxer's open Senate seat in California. He has no chance but he's got a very Bernie-like platform. He's partaken in a life of civil rights and green energy activism and wants electoral reform and money out of politics.

https://voteforemory.com/

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Going to be the Bernie delegate at the local convention for the caucus!

Also going to be running for a position within the local party to help while I can, along with my new found powers of PUBLIC RADIO CONNECTIONS and being a committee member in my local government.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

welp looks like this is The Thread, guys.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also going to be running for a position within the local party to help while I can, along with my new found powers of PUBLIC RADIO CONNECTIONS and being a committee member in my local government.

niceeeeeee

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Also getting an evening gown for formal events made, it's going to be a dull satin ice blue dress with one collar with a very low key embroidered finch on two parts of the dress

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

look out femme fatales, here comes the bern fatale

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Classic Comrade posted:

i nearly made a new one

perhaps i still should?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

see if you can score us some tote bags

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Classic Comrade posted:

Other one lacked a coherent OP and this one aint' just bernie :(

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Lobbied by big public radio :monocle:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Dewgy posted:

i nearly made a new one

perhaps i still should?

i'm assuming it will get gassed, just like the last two.

gotta stick it out here

talk about other things

like zephyr rain teachout's name

or the fact that either jim langevin stole bernie's logo or bernie stole jim langevin's logo

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
rise up and seize the means of conversation by shitposing in the hillary thread, imo

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Dewgy posted:

i nearly made a new one

perhaps i still should?

Do what you like, friend :)

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Very good!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Classic Comrade posted:

i'm assuming it will get gassed, just like the last two.

That last one got gassed cus ZDR said to quit bitching about the old thread.

I assume we should avoid that here as well :tinfoil:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also getting an evening gown for formal events made, it's going to be a dull satin ice blue dress with one collar with a very low key embroidered finch on two parts of the dress

make sure it has a star trek-lookin collar imo

gotta get with the current Lady Politician Couture

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

That last one got gassed cus ZDR said to quit bitching about the old thread.

oh.

oops.

:ssh:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

CurtisLemays Cuck posted:

Thorium is nuclear lol

But it's called Thorium.

It's the Clean Coal of nuclear, the rubes won't know what hit them.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Classic Comrade posted:

or the fact that either jim langevin stole bernie's logo or bernie stole jim langevin's logo

o i forgot some of you guys won't know what i'm talking about

here

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Rand alPaul posted:

But it's called Thorium.

Brand it with Thor

People love Thor.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Other one lacked a coherent OP and this one aint' just bernie :(

Lobbied by big public radio :monocle:

if anything I lobby big public radio by being a donor

the thing is because I'm also a millenial and a major donor, they actually listen to me and ask me for ideas

So now I'm talking with their producers and stuff that like me a lot (I hit off with them all really well) to try and help give them a breath of fresh air for doing cool things that millenials would give a poo poo about

for instance, not just streaming on their website anymore and getting into twitch creative for streaming and stuff

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

my boss said it was a waste of money to donate to my state public radio but tbh it's actually given me a lot of soft power to help do good for something I care about instead of just throwing money to the void

i also give almost as much to planned parenthood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

But it's called Thorium.

It has Thor in it that must mean its cool

• Locked thread