Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A combination of :smith: and strangely uplifting for what he's accomplished.

How a Son Survived Being Injected with HIV by His Father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Fuckkkk the bits with the letters from the father's supporters and the dad being like "well HIV is a myth anyway :smug:"
ughhhhhh

great article though, drat..

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lord, I remember when this happened. I grew up in St. Louis and it was so shocking. I'm so glad that kid.. young man now, is doing as well as he is. Good article.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not an article or anything but if there's interest I could tell you about my neighbor, the cannibal.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

eightpole posted:

It's not an article or anything but if there's interest I could tell you about my neighbor, the cannibal.

There is always interest.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

eightpole posted:

Only if recipes are involved.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

eightpole posted:

Only when you just post will you reach the zen of posting and be enlightened

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

eightpole posted:

:justpost:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

eightpole posted:

Like you had to ask.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One night at the 2009 Alicia Keys Black Ball in New York, Badger found himself at a table with Samuel L. Jackson. He decided to break the ice and said, “Mr. Jackson, nice to meet you. I'm Mr. Jackson.” The movie star laughed, and then when Badger told his story, Samuel L. Jackson put down his fancy fork and said, “Wow. Wow!”

god bless samuel l jackson

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

quote:

While preparing this article, I receive a packet in the mail on Stewart's behalf from a family friend. Inside is a cover letter. No one has tried to hear Brian's side, it begins. The letter makes a list of accusations about Badger's mom and the media and HIV. His son is alive and boasting of his exploits on Facebook.

How dare he draw breath! :arghfist:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

How dare he draw breath! :arghfist:

you left out the best part

At length, Stewart writes to me himself. He is cordial—Please forgive my delay in writing back. He will consent to an interview, he says, only on several conditions, which include “that you absolutely agree in writing that you will print the following, unedited: My son's HIV test was falsely positive.”
He also insists that GQ publish “the related scientific facts by experts at both the Perth Group and AliveandWell.org.” The former is an Australian organization that believes the existence of HIV to be unproven. The latter is a website that “raises questions about the accuracy of HIV tests.” It was founded by AIDS denialist Christine Maggiore, who died in 2008 of an AIDS-related illness, and whose daughter died at age 3, also of complications from AIDS.
Our correspondence ends there.

"he told me i had to print a bunch of idiot rear end bullshit. he can suck a fuckin dick"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those may be facts, but are they scientific facts?

Sic ’em, lawyer!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

eightpole posted:

Still waiting. :colbert:

Literally The Worst posted:

you left out the best part

[...] founded by AIDS denialist Christine Maggiore, who died in 2008 of an AIDS-related illness, and whose daughter died at age 3, also of complications from AIDS.

Welp, the fact that this is a thing is pretty unnerving. From wiki (emphasis mine):

wiki posted:

Christine Joy Maggiore (July 25, 1956 – December 27, 2008) was an HIV-positive activist and promoter of AIDS denialism (the belief that HIV is not the cause of AIDS). She was the founder of Alive & Well AIDS Alternatives, an organization which disputes the link between HIV and AIDS and urges HIV-positive pregnant women to avoid anti-HIV medication. Maggiore authored and self-published the book What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?

Maggiore's promotion of AIDS denialism had long been controversial, particularly since her 3-year-old daughter, Eliza Jane Scovill, died of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia, considered to be an AIDS-defining illness. Consistent with her belief that HIV was harmless, Maggiore had not taken medication to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV to her daughter during pregnancy, and she did not have Eliza Jane tested for HIV during her daughter's lifetime. Maggiore herself died on December 27, 2008 after suffering from AIDS-related conditions.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Karma Monkey posted:

Welp, the fact that this is a thing is pretty unnerving. From wiki (emphasis mine):

Wasn't this the same organisation that the Foo Fighters supported back in the day?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

See also: Continuum

quote:

Continuum was a magazine published by an activist group of the same name who denied the existence of HIV/AIDS.

Favoring pseudoscientific content, the magazine addressed issues related to HIV/AIDS, AIDS denialism, alternative medicine, and themes of interest to the LGBT community. It ran from December 1992 until February 2001, ceasing publication because all the contributors had died of AIDS-defining clinical conditions.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Sarcopenia posted:

Wasn't this the same organisation that the Foo Fighters supported back in the day?

Yeah, one of the members heard about her through some sort of quackery website and for some unknown reason took it at face value. Of course since she died they kinda stopped supporting that, especially cause they probably don't want the rep of AIDS-deniers. welp they never actually recanted these claims so huh :smith:

bucksmash has a new favorite as of 23:23 on May 1, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The creepiest part of the Christine Maggiore story is this image, right here:

That baby underneath the "No AZT" sign is Eliza Jane, who died at age 3 from complications of AIDS. Her mother still denies this, having gotten a veterinarian (!) to independently determine the cause of death for her daughter so she could claim it was pneumonia and not AIDS.

AIDS denialism is terrible. https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/christine-maggiore-and-eliza-jane-scovill-living-and-dying-with-hivaids-denialism/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pookel posted:

That baby underneath the "No AZT" sign is Eliza Jane, who died at age 3 from complications of AIDS. Her mother still denies this, having gotten a veterinarian (!) to independently determine the cause of death for her daughter so she could claim it was pneumonia and not AIDS.

But having AIDS causes you to die of pneumonia (on account of not having an immune system anymore). That's literally what the acronym means.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Lone Badger posted:

But having AIDS causes you to die of pneumonia (on account of not having an immune system anymore). That's literally what the acronym means.
I remembered wrong - I do know how AIDS works, but I remembered wrong what the denialist story was. They claimed she died of an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin she'd been given for an ear infection a few days earlier.

quote:

Dr. Jay Gordon, a Santa Monica pediatrician who had treated Eliza Jane since she was a year old, said he should have demanded that she be tested for human immunodeficiency virus when, 11 days before she died, Maggiore brought her in with an apparent ear infection.

“It’s possible that the whole situation could have been changed if one of the doctors involved – one of the three doctors involved – had intervened,” said Gordon, who himself acknowledges that HIV causes AIDS. “It’s hindsight, Monday-morning quarterbacking, whatever you want to call it. Do I think I’m blameless in this? No, I’m not blameless.”

When even Dr. Jay Gordon thinks you're a quack, you've got problems.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's surprising there's no legal remedy for these people. At what point does the "right to parent how I want" not fly in the face of child endangerment as proven by established science?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's surprising there's no legal remedy for these people. At what point does the "right to parent how I want" not fly in the face of child endangerment as proven by established science?

There's no bright line on it, and it gets even worse when you toss religion into the blender as well.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/faith_healing_religious_freedom_vs._child_protection

There were a few cases last decade with Christian Scientists being under fire because they don't believe in blood transfusions, among other things, which inevitably leads to some kid dying. There's been a gradual tightening on what you can get away with in the name of the lord.

We may see similar stuff in the future, especially with regards to the anti-vax crowd, which doesn't have a religious bent to it. And anti-vax stuff can gently caress up other kids as well, causing outbreaks of diseases that were once nearly eliminated. The big problem there is convincing parents of autistic kids that autism isn't the doctor's fault.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know the common response to claims of an autism epidemic is that we just diagnose more kids now, but I was wondering if it might be linked to the average age of first time parents in first world countries going up over time. We know that Down Syndrome is linked to increased parental age, and I've heard similar things about autism, but never anything conclusive. Has there been any study regarding this and/or is my speculation completely baseless?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I know the common response to claims of an autism epidemic is that we just diagnose more kids now, but I was wondering if it might be linked to the average age of first time parents in first world countries going up over time. We know that Down Syndrome is linked to increased parental age, and I've heard similar things about autism, but never anything conclusive. Has there been any study regarding this and/or is my speculation completely baseless?

I don't think it's entirely baseless, but the fact that it was possibly under diagnosed in the past would make measuring increases over time unreliable. And the current diagnostic system, where autism is treated as a spectrum, adds to the data unreliability, as you would likely get a statistically substantial amount of cases that wouldn't have been tagged as autism in the past but are classified that way now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think it's similar to death, back in the day you see a lot of deaths attributed to simply "old age" or natural causes, but today we have names and understanding of exactly what that means. In the past autistic people would either be capable of blending in or lumped in with more severe impairments, depending on where they are on the spectrum, but now we have a name and understanding of exactly what that means, and we can detect it earlier.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ Exactly what I was thinking - look at something simple like the average life expectancy nowadays. Back even 100 years ago we didn't have as many vaccines or ways to treat illness or injury, so people could legit die young from something as simple as an untreated infection or common virus. Those same infections and viruses now have treatments so you don't see some 20 year old kid getting a cut on his hand and eventually losing it to gangrene, or a poor sap dying of blood loss because a doctor didn't tourniquet his leg properly before an at-home amputation.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Urgh, it's been years since I read about this AIDS denial poo poo, and I wish I would have never read about it again.
I have had multiple family members die of complications from HIV and AIDS. Including a 2 year old niece. Most of these people were dirt poor and lived in the rural mountainsides of Tanzania with little access to proper healthcare (Thankfully, it's quickly getting a lot better up there). gently caress any well of poo poo head who causes the excruciating death of their own loving children because of "The Man and Big Pharma!". Seeething

Did this make me feel a little better though.

quote:

"For example, the editors of the magazine Continuum consistently denied the existence of HIV/AIDS. The magazine shut down after both editors died of AIDS-related causes."

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Monkey posted:

Yeah I forgot about making that post immediately after making it!

I'll write something up for tonight though.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

eightpole posted:

Yeah I forgot about making that post immediately after making it!

I'll write something up for tonight though.

:neckbeard: Finally something to look forward to besides the end of the workday.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

The big problem there is convincing parents of autistic kids that autism isn't the doctor's fault.
It helps not to treat autism as a horrifying disease. To stay on-topic, here's an article about autistic and disabled kids murdered by their caregivers:

http://www.xojane.com/issues/yet-another-disabled-child-killed-by-family

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

pookel posted:

It helps not to treat autism as a horrifying disease. To stay on-topic, here's an article about autistic and disabled kids murdered by their caregivers:

:stare: Goddamn, and that's not even all of them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well in Alberta right now there is a trial against parents whose child had died of meningitis. They tried to cure their son with herbal smoothies and vegetables. It didn't work out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bootsy posted:

Another great source for wildland firefighting stories is Sebastian Junger's book "Fire." I could probably scrounge up his write-up of another famous burnover event if anyone finds this topic interesting. It's an amazingly well-researched and dramatic description of events.

Norman Maclean's book "Young Men and Fire," about the Mann Gulch Fire which claimed 13 firefighters in Montana in 1949 and was the deadliest wilderness fire until the South Canyon Fire in 1994, is an amazing book and every should read it. High winds caused the fire to jump past the men, cutting off their escape route to the Missouri River and they had to drop their tools and packs and sprint for the top of the hill. The foreman, Wagner Dodge,set an escape fire and laid down in the burned area but the others either didn't understand what he was doing or didn't care and kept running.

There's a staggeringly haunting and sad song by James Keelaghan, "Cold Missouri Waters," about that fire, told from Dodge's perspective years later as he's dying in bed of cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dztj4X3fQps

The final verse is brutal:

quote:

And when I arose, like the phoenix
In that world reduced to ashes there were none but two survived
I stayed that night and one day after
Carried bodies to the river, wondering how I stayed alive
Thirteen stations of the cross to mark to their fall
I've had my say, I'll confess to nothing more
I'll join them now, those that left me long before
Thirteen crosses high above the cold Missouri waters

And in 1994, when 14 firefighters were killed in the South Canyon fire, Norman Maclean's son John wrote the book about it.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:07 on May 2, 2016

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, excellent suggestion. The MacLeans are pretty much the seminal authors on wildland firefighting, and I highly suggest anyone check out any of their books on the topic.

In Norman's book Young Men and Fire, he describes the following:

quote:

"Dying in a forest fire is actually like experiencing three deaths: first the failure of your legs as you run, then the scorching of your lungs, finally the burning of your body."

Gee thanks, Norm. How succinct. But I think one of my favorite lines from any contemporary non-fiction piece is Sebastian Junger's parting words describing the blowup at the South Canyon Fire in 1994 which killed 14 firefighters:

quote:

"By the time the Prineville nine and the three smoke jumpers with them saw the horror coming—by the time great sheets of flame hit the dry Gambel oak and frantic voices over the radio screamed at them to run—they had only twenty seconds to live. They must have died in a state of bewilderment almost as great as their fear."

:smith:

Link to a pdf of Junger's write-up (it's a classroom activity, but the story is there): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3_CRQinSvnv-cwQ

bootsy has a new favorite as of 02:44 on May 3, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yyyyy

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

RNG posted:

Not the desert, and not really unnerving, but I used to fly from New England to Florida as a kid during the summers. You'd leave New England, it'd be nice and pleasant in the 70's, nice climate controlled plane ride, and then the second you step on to the tarmac it's like a loving blast furnace. Got a 1st degree burn from leaning on a car, once.

I've also been to Florida. Cheers

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

poopy pee pee posted:

I've also been to Florida. Cheers

Neat!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pookel posted:

This is one of the many reasons to boycott Autism Speaks, because they not only have been sympathetic to child-murderers but have printed parental stories that include "sometimes I think she would be better off dead." The only time people with actual autism were on the board, they were shut out.

No, murdering your severely disabled child is not the forgivable solution. That narrative is bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is one of the many reasons to boycott Autism Speaks, because they not only have been sympathetic to child-murderers but have printed parental stories that include "sometimes I think she would be better off dead." The only time people with actual autism were on the board, they were shut out.

No, murdering your severely disabled child is not the forgivable solution. That narrative is bad.

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I admit to having some sympathy for any parent, not just the parent of an autistic kid, who is genuinely overwhelmed and mentally ill, who commits this kind of crime, in the same way I have sympathy for Andrea Yates (who was clearly psychotic and whose husband took her off her psych meds and left her alone with the kids despite being told by her psychiatrist not to). It's hard to know from the news reports which parents loved their children and had some kind of mental breakdown, and which parents cold-bloodedly decided to murder their disabled kids because they didn't want to have to deal with them anymore.

In either case, organizations like Autism Speaks are partly to blame, not only for showing them sympathy but for promoting the narrative that autism is a terrible tragedy. They talk about autism stealing children's souls; they call it a "darkness," they talk about children with dead eyes or who are locked away from the world. It's no surprise that awful consequences result when parents start believing their children are monsters, or would be better off dead.

And now I'm reading through this list, which if you follow the links to individual articles, is absolutely horrifying: http://disability-memorial.org/category/main-list

Hard reading as a parent of an autistic kid, or as a parent at all, or really as a human being.