Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

Part of what makes the Snyder/Cavill Superman so good is that they're purposefully downplaying the Jesus aspects of the character while emphasizing the Moses aspects. He gets angry, makes mistakes, and even tries to shirk his responsibilities.

It's convenient as a dismissal as well as an excuse not to think. It's like the thing of counting how many lines Superman has. If you watched the movie, you'd notice Clark Kent has most of the lines. What could be the reason for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I actually loved watching BvS, I'm not sure really how much it'll stand up to repeat viewings though. Civil War was nice and flashing and seemed more whole but it still suffers from being another Marvel Movie, something I hope changes soon with films like Dr. Strange and Black Panther but who knows.

Also, for people complaining about the financial chat, where are we meant to discuss that? Surely we can all understand that you can talk about the financial side of movies and hollywood and it's divorced from the actual quality of the movie?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I appreciate the direct implication that Superman was expected to be yakkin it up for the whole runtime.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I appreciate the direct implication that Superman was expected to be yakkin it up for the whole runtime.

I don't know, generally unless the movie is named Godzilla or King Kong the titular character is usually expected to have quite a few lines if not the most since they are usually the main focus of the film.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Says who?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know, generally unless the movie is named Godzilla or King Kong the titular character is usually expected to have quite a few lines if not the most since they are usually the main focus of the film.

Er... Drive? Mad Max Fury Road?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... Drive? Mad Max Fury Road?

Soldier. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Quixote posted:

No, no I don't think that's quite right.

Pretty sure film as a genre is a bit more complicated and hard to pin down than that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I haven't seen that since I was like six, is it actually any good? Paul W.S. Anderson making a stealth sequel to Blade Runner with Kurt Russell in it sounds like very much my poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bob Quixote posted:

In El Topo, the main character has like ten lines.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At no point did I say that every single film named after a character had to give that character the most lines, I can name poo poo like Alien and Terminator or whatever where they say basically nothing too - I just think that in the many many many films that have been made since it was invented that its most often the case.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't seen that since I was like six, is it actually any good? Paul W.S. Anderson making a stealth sequel to Blade Runner with Kurt Russell in it sounds like very much my poo poo.

I haven't seen it in well over a decade, but I remember liking it. Then again, I also liked The Chronicles of Riddick, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's almost like the amount of lines a character has is indicative of a stylistic choice rather than a quantitative flaw, or something

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

I haven't seen it in well over a decade, but I remember liking it. Then again, I also liked The Chronicles of Riddick, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Chronicles of Riddick owns, people just weren't quite ready for another ultra-sincere, goofy space opera right after the Star Wars prequels. Doesn't seem like any adjustment is necessary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bob Quixote posted:

At no point did I say that every single film named after a character had to give that character the most lines, I can name poo poo like Alien and Terminator or whatever where they say basically nothing too - I just think that in the many many many films that have been made since it was invented that its most often the case.

Convention exists in art so that you expect it, not demand it.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Right, and I'm not demanding it. Many of my favorite films have protagonists who are largely pretty close mouthed like the Leone westerns or Dredd.

I was just saying, and you appear to agree, that conventions in film tend to give people certain expectations. My original comment was in response to SMG who seemed kind of incredulous that the audience might have those perfectly normal expectations when they went to go see the movie. Counting out the exact number of lines spoken by a character to prove something about its quality is stupid, but that wasn't my point.

Personally I didn't really care much for Batman vs. Superman, but it had more to do with pacing than the precise number of lines spoken by any given character. I had really wanted more of a sequel to Man of Steel since I really enjoyed that movie and its take on the character of Superman, but this film mostly seemed like a Batman movie guest starring Superman.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, comic book movies are generally more consumer product than art.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember speaking to someone (not here) that was really angry that Watchmen was classified as 'action' (along with about three other genres) and it contained very little action. Genre conventions are funny things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marky Marx posted:

Is it just me or is it that comic book movies fail the hardest/are least popular with hardcore fans when they take popular characters and don't do them justice?

Deadpool in Wolverine Origins
Dr Doom in any Fantastic Four movie (maybe with the exception of that one that got his look right but hosed everything else up)
Batman and Superman in Batman V Superman
(I can literally make this list forever)

Batman is not the problem in Batman V Superman. He's fine and dandy, if suffering somewhat from Not MY Batman!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And The Martian is apparently a comedy. Well, maybe it is.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Can Batman and Superman iunno maybe not kill people that would be p cool imo.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Maybe a movie where Batman doesn't use guns and Superman at least makes an effort to save people from an explosion at the last moment instead of just standing there looking like droopy dog before peacing the gently caress out of that bummer zone.

And I'm not talking about killing Zod or supervillains, I'm talking random thugs and miscreants.

Unapologetic double post. (Sorry.((NOT SORRY.))) :colbert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Marky Marx posted:

Can Batman and Superman iunno maybe not kill people that would be p cool imo.

Why

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Marky Marx posted:

Maybe a movie where Batman doesn't use guns and Superman at least makes an effort to save people from an explosion at the last moment instead of just standing there looking like droopy dog before peacing the gently caress out of that bummer zone.

And I'm not talking about killing Zod or supervillains, I'm talking random thugs and miscreants.

Unapologetic double post. (Sorry.((NOT SORRY.))) :colbert:

He flies halfway across the world to save literally one person (and I"m not talking about Lois)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Marky Marx posted:

I really want an edit of that with this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYAGyZlBY0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need more positive heroes in fiction.

Non killing all good, awesome peeps.

But batman can kill people though. That will never be an issue to me because he's nuts. And we all want to get nuts.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Cause I like the idealized versions of them from the cartoons and some comics because I'm literally a manbaby. Get your grimdark out of my comic book movies and give me newspaper Spiderman the movie already. Can we not evoke 9/11 and terrorism in a movie I tend to watch to escape from an inherently evil world, not use it to be like "Hmm, Superman has a point here, terrorism and government control ARE important issues." I knew when i was five years old and watching Adam West and Christopher Reeves I was like drat, I hope I can watch these two titans duke it out in a movie and it has a congressional hearing and mass death and footage invocative of videos I will see online later when the internet exists where real people get shot in the head by terrorists.

Iunno I think comics should be fun I guess. People tend to linger on fun things more than depressing reflections of reality.

EDIT: If I wanted to see a superhero torture and kill their villains I would watch the Flash on CW tyvm.

Double Super Edit: Zack Snyder pushes his personal politics in BvS harder than Matt and Trey in every other South Park episode, and it's simply not an appropriate vessel to use for your weirdo Randian logic.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Marky Marx posted:

Cause I like the idealized versions of them from the cartoons and some comics because I'm literally a manbaby. Get your grimdark out of my comic book movies and give me newspaper Spiderman the movie already. Can we not evoke 9/11 and terrorism in a movie I tend to watch to escape from an inherently evil world, not use it to be like "Hmm, Superman has a point here, terrorism and government control ARE important issues." I knew when i was five years old and watching Adam West and Christopher Reeves I was like drat, I hope I can watch these two titans duke it out in a movie and it has a congressional hearing and mass death and footage invocative of videos I will see online later when the internet exists where real people get shot in the head by terrorists.

well...if ur saying ur a manbaby thats ur thing i guess

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Marky Marx posted:

Can we not evoke 9/11 and terrorism in a movie I tend to watch to escape from an inherently evil world,

I agree that the MCU movies need to move on from this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lack of nuance is good yeah.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Marky Marx posted:

Iunno I think comics should be fun I guess. People tend to linger on fun things more than depressing reflections of reality.

EDIT: If I wanted to see a superhero torture and kill their villains I would watch the Flash on CW tyvm.
Even the idealized versions of the heroes from the cartoons had some flaws that made them compelling

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Marky Marx posted:

Not my Superman

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Marky Marx posted:

Maybe a movie where Batman doesn't use guns

There are a lot of these.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marky Marx posted:

Why can't they be light and fun like the MCU movies, which begin with young American soldiers in not-Iraq being killed trying to protect a war profiteer?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

LesterGroans posted:

There are a lot of these.

Yeah they were p cool. :mmmhmm:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Snowman_McK posted:

Why can't they be light and fun like the MCU movies, which begin with young American soldiers in not-Iraq being killed trying to protect a war profiteer?

How long ago was that made? You'd think movies both Marvel AND DC would learn their lesson by now that people are sick of that. It's a ridiculous mistake to repeat a decade later as if they don't realize that politics involving the death of American troops doesn't really fill seats. Well, maybe it helps with the Chinese box office.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think DC should scrap the built universe thing and just go directly to having Snyder make a four hour Kingdome Come movie.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
As long as you quip while doing it and immediately cut to something else you can kill as many Americans as you like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The idea that humor in blockbusters is a bad thing is a really loving stupid notion.People enjoy laughing. It's a good emotion to feel.

A few legit humorous scenes in BvS would not have hurt the movie one drat bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

CelticPredator posted:

The idea that humor in blockbusters is a bad thing is a really loving stupid notion.People enjoy laughing. It's a good emotion to feel.

A few legit humorous scenes in BvS would not have hurt the movie one drat bit.

It gets to the point where they are so devoid of humor that when they DO try to add a quip or something, it seems out of character and breaks character.

"I thought she was with you?"

Yes, that's what an aged Batman in that predicament would say at that point in time when faced with that kind of threat. He wouldn't just be like "Who the gently caress are you?!"

• Locked thread