Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well yeah, I know the difference between caramel and carbon. I'll keep that pan sauce recipe in mind - it'll be nice to taste a more complex sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the fuel facts, that was about what I had figured but, you know, sanity check. I look forward to ruining my attempt this weekend by entirely different means.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah, I know the difference between caramel and carbon. I'll keep that pan sauce recipe in mind - it'll be nice to taste a more complex sauce.

Pollyanna, read this entire post. It will explain exactly what you need to do for a good pan sauce. Maybe even follow the recipe with a chicken breast rather than ruin more duck, just to get more comfortable with the whole process.

Godspeed.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys know a rundown on good makers of carbon steel pans? I'm replacing my old poo poo and I want to go carbon this round.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

All I know is De Buyer and they're good.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LongSack posted:

When I lived in Columbus, OH a lifetime ago, I worked at Schmidt's Sausage Haus while going to school. They had an item on their menu called Chicken and Noodles - it was shredded chicken in a thick, savory broth with egg noodles that were somewhere between those No-Yolks and dumplings. It was fantastic (plus it was one of the items that employees could eat for free, not a bad thing for a broke-rear end college student).

I've tried to find a recipe even close to that dish with no luck. I've tried making the filling for chicken pot pie without the veg, but it's just not the same. Plus, the closest I can get to the noodles are these sad little matchstick things :sad:

Any ideas on a good recipe or even a starting place?

Plus I really miss Mark Pi's war su gai, but I am really not comfortable deep frying stuff so oh well :ohdearsass:

My mother used to make something like that. Was the chicken pretty soft? I think she just slow-cooked it for a while and then cut/shredded it up. I can't remember how she thickened it, but it might have just been a roux/bechamel. Sorry not too much help, but I think the answer may be a long cooking time, if it's similar to what I'm thinking.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The Midniter posted:

Pollyanna, read this entire post. It will explain exactly what you need to do for a good pan sauce. Maybe even follow the recipe with a chicken breast rather than ruin more duck, just to get more comfortable with the whole process.

Godspeed.

Quoting because this is a pretty good recipe.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I just got a ton of dill really cheap, more than I'll be able to use before it goes bad. Can I freeze it? Would vacuum sealing help?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Eeyo posted:

My mother used to make something like that. Was the chicken pretty soft? I think she just slow-cooked it for a while and then cut/shredded it up. I can't remember how she thickened it, but it might have just been a roux/bechamel. Sorry not too much help, but I think the answer may be a long cooking time, if it's similar to what I'm thinking.

Yeah, what I'm thinking right now, is boil the chicken in stock and veg to create a nice broth, then shred the chicken and put it back into the broth thickened with a roux, maybe adding cream / half-and-half or egg yolks or something (need to experiment). The real kicker is the noodles. I am going to go outside my normal Publix / Kroger and check out some other places to see if they have larger noodles than those :sad: little matchstick things, but if not I'll have to try to make them on my own. I am not a dough person by any stretch of the imagination, so I am dubious of the outcome.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Found aleppo pepper flakes at a local market and bought some because they smell and taste amazing. I have no idea what they actually go into though, other than Mediterranean food. Has anyone used them before, and in what fashion?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

Found aleppo pepper flakes at a local market and bought some because they smell and taste amazing. I have no idea what they actually go into though, other than Mediterranean food. Has anyone used them before, and in what fashion?
You can use Aleppo pepper pretty much interchangeably with generic crushed red pepper---flavour accent on sandwiches, pizza, random slab of meat protein, whatever.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I usually cook ~2lbs of chicken in a smokey sauce in my crock pot but I find that I go through it too quickly so today I bought an extra 2lbs. It's basically two layers, but I'm not sure how to adjust the cooking time appropriately. Just the chicken and sauce, no veggies or anything. Suggestions?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I usually cook ~2lbs of chicken in a smokey sauce in my crock pot but I find that I go through it too quickly so today I bought an extra 2lbs. It's basically two layers, but I'm not sure how to adjust the cooking time appropriately. Just the chicken and sauce, no veggies or anything. Suggestions?

It's a crock pot, so unless you've dialed your process in to a very particular time range before it becomes overcooked, just temp it at your usual cooking time and see where it's at. Unless you're for some reason crock-potting lean breast meat, chicken thighs and such are durable and lenient on cooking time. If it's under-temp, try increasing in 30 minute increments.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

baquerd posted:

It's a crock pot, so unless you've dialed your process in to a very particular time range before it becomes overcooked, just temp it at your usual cooking time and see where it's at. Unless you're for some reason crock-potting lean breast meat, chicken thighs and such are durable and lenient on cooking time. If it's under-temp, try increasing in 30 minute increments.

Thanks. I was cooking large chicken breasts for pulled chicken. Temp'd it at 4 hours and it was the same as it usually is. Shredded it up and let it soak for another 15 and it came out pretty perfect.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I went to the store and saw that they were selling pig ears and realized I'd never made them before. It's something I don't really have experience with either so if there are good pig ear ideas throw them at me.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
My aunt sent me a buttbillion sundried tomatoes from california. Should i just toss the whole drat thing into a jar with olive oil for cooking?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

net work error posted:

I went to the store and saw that they were selling pig ears and realized I'd never made them before. It's something I don't really have experience with either so if there are good pig ear ideas throw them at me.
Sisig. Boil with peppers and bay until tender. Marinate with soy, vinegar, calamansi, garlic, and more peppers and grill. Chop, then fry with onions, more peppers, and some paprika. Dress with some more calamansi, serve.

SubG fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 25, 2016

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Captainsalami posted:

My aunt sent me a buttbillion sundried tomatoes from california. Should i just toss the whole drat thing into a jar with olive oil for cooking?

here are your options:
http://www.tomatodirt.com/storing-dried-tomatoes.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Captainsalami posted:

And thank your auntie for being awesome. Man, I can't wait until my tomatoes come in...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We're having a cinco de mayo potluck at work and I want to make a really hot cheese dip. Last year I made a 7-layer dip, half with 'regular' salsa and half with a half a bottle of El Yucateco habenero sauce on it and the guys in the shop demolished the 'hot' side in 5 minutes. I'm used to working with people who won't touch anything that is even one tiny bit spicy so I'm just going to make an entire 'hot' dip this year.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking: lightly roast jalapenos, serranos, habeneros, and a couple anaheims just for some variety. Dice them up and put them in a crock pot with 2-3 cans of just plain old 'nacho cheese' and give it a good stir.

Should I add some drained chorizo for texture? What about sauteed onions for a little sweetness? Roasted tomato?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Rice vinegar vs rice wine vinegar: similar enough to use interchangeably?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Rice vinegar vs rice wine vinegar: similar enough to use interchangeably?

It's the same thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

We're having a cinco de mayo potluck at work and I want to make a really hot cheese dip. Last year I made a 7-layer dip, half with 'regular' salsa and half with a half a bottle of El Yucateco habenero sauce on it and the guys in the shop demolished the 'hot' side in 5 minutes. I'm used to working with people who won't touch anything that is even one tiny bit spicy so I'm just going to make an entire 'hot' dip this year.

Anyway, here's what I was thinking: lightly roast jalapenos, serranos, habeneros, and a couple anaheims just for some variety. Dice them up and put them in a crock pot with 2-3 cans of just plain old 'nacho cheese' and give it a good stir.

Should I add some drained chorizo for texture? What about sauteed onions for a little sweetness? Roasted tomato?

Want to knock their fuckin' socks off? Get some sodium citrate and make your own "nacho" cheese with a high quality cheese. It's really amazing to me how much better it is than the crappy canned or jarred bullshit.

As far as other stuff, black beans always go well in cheese dip. It's totally nontraditional but I love to cut andouille sausage into small or not-so-small chunks, crisp them in a pan, and add those. The smoky flavor and garlic tang goes really well with other nacho cheese dip stuff.

Forget the roasted tomato, and get some of the Rotel HOT habanero diced tomatoes. It'll make your dip even spicier.

Now I want some drat cheese dip.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

spankmeister posted:

It's the same thing.

Nope. Very different flavours.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My children and I have just been round a market to collect vegetables to have with a roast chicken, and my son has chosen the slightly bizarre combination of purple broccoli, radishes and field mushrooms. Any ideas on how I can combine these into something to have with chicken?

Edit: my current thinking is to treat them all separately: mushroom sauce, radish salad and steamed broccoli, but there must be a better way

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Congrats on raising a kid who would choose those awesome ingredients :v:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Make mushroom sauce. Roast the broccoli and radishes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scientastic posted:

My children and I have just been round a market to collect vegetables to have with a roast chicken, and my son has chosen the slightly bizarre combination of purple broccoli, radishes and field mushrooms. Any ideas on how I can combine these into something to have with chicken?

Edit: my current thinking is to treat them all separately: mushroom sauce, radish salad and steamed broccoli, but there must be a better way

Your edit is exactly what I was thinking.
I would eat it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Bought 2 doz eggs at the store today.

Dropped 2 doz eggs on the sidewalk today.

Almost half broke, but they were in a plastic bag and weren't totally smashed so I managed to salvage 8 of the broken eggs and put them in a pint container.

What can I make tomorrow for brunch with 8 whole eggs? Don't say quiche or omelette or frittata, I'm hoping for something more crazy, like dutch baby or some crazy baked monstrosity.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'd do a souffle or creme brulee with meringues/pavlova/angel food cake.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Looking for a good no bullshit banana bread recipe please.

E: Thoughts on brown vs white sugar in the recipe would be appreciated, I'm having a hard time finding consensus in the rando ones I'm turning up online.

DPM fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 1, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

DumbparameciuM posted:

E: Thoughts on brown vs white sugar in the recipe would be appreciated, I'm having a hard time finding consensus in the rando ones I'm turning up online.

Generally, white sugar means puffy and brown sugar means chewy. You want your bananas brown as well, like mad brown, to maximize the fructose that it's generated. We're talking up to twice as much fructose as a normal banana

Learned that from America's Test Kitchen (peace be upon them), whose recipe gives the following:

1.75 cups (8.75 oz by weight) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
2.25 lb very ripe bananas, peeled (6 large)
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
0.75 cup packed (5.25 oz by weight) light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.5 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)
2 tsp granulated sugar

My simplified instructions:
Preheat 350, oil spray an 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan

Whisk flour, baking soda, salt in large bowl.

Another bowl gets 5 bananas, covered in the microwave for about 5 minutes (they should release liquid). Let drain in fine mesh strainer (into a bowl) for 15 minutes, some stirring (you need about .5-.75 cup liquid)

Cook liquid in saucepan on medium-high until only half is left, about 5 minutes. Stir the liquid into the soft bananas and mash them up. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

Pour into dry ingredients and stir to combine, but stop while there are still some streaks of flour. Add walnuts if you got 'em. Batter goes in pan.

Slice the last banana diagonally into .25 inch pieces and shingle them in a line on each side of the loaf, leaving a reverse mohawk the middle. Sprinkle sugar on top.

Bake until toothpick goes in and comes out clean, about an hour. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then take it out and let it cool for an hour.

Enjoy!

I strongly recommend paying for the paywall on the Cook's Illustrated website, because I used to be afraid of the kitchen until I read their cooking concepts book, and once I got through the recipes I liked a few times, I wanted to branch out but didn't want to lose the outright quality their instruction has guaranteed me.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Rurutia posted:

I'd do a souffle or creme brulee with meringues/pavlova/angel food cake.

I wish, but unfortunately they are all mixed up--no separating yolk and white.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

I always use this one from Smitten Kitchen. And I make a LOT of banana bread. It's always a big hit with coworkers and is easily customizable. You can put in half whole wheat flour if you want and substitute a flax egg for one of the eggs (I also always double it). Definitely use the bourbon.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

I wish, but unfortunately they are all mixed up--no separating yolk and white.

Squeeze an empty bottle, put the opening on a yolk, and let go.

I never thought this stupid life hack actually had a practical application.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

Bought 2 doz eggs at the store today.

Dropped 2 doz eggs on the sidewalk today.

Almost half broke, but they were in a plastic bag and weren't totally smashed so I managed to salvage 8 of the broken eggs and put them in a pint container.

What can I make tomorrow for brunch with 8 whole eggs? Don't say quiche or omelette or frittata, I'm hoping for something more crazy, like dutch baby or some crazy baked monstrosity.

It wouldn't use all of them, but something with choux pastries? Eclairs, cream puffs, or gougères. I've also heard you can make swans with them but that sounds like dark magic. That might take half of them, so make some shakshuka or something.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Generally, white sugar means puffy and brown sugar means chewy. You want your bananas brown as well, like mad brown, to maximize the fructose that it's generated. We're talking up to twice as much fructose as a normal banana

Learned that from America's Test Kitchen (peace be upon them), whose recipe gives the following:

1.75 cups (8.75 oz by weight) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
2.25 lb very ripe bananas, peeled (6 large)
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
0.75 cup packed (5.25 oz by weight) light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.5 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)
2 tsp granulated sugar

My simplified instructions:
Preheat 350, oil spray an 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan

Whisk flour, baking soda, salt in large bowl.

Another bowl gets 5 bananas, covered in the microwave for about 5 minutes (they should release liquid). Let drain in fine mesh strainer (into a bowl) for 15 minutes, some stirring (you need about .5-.75 cup liquid)

Cook liquid in saucepan on medium-high until only half is left, about 5 minutes. Stir the liquid into the soft bananas and mash them up. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

Pour into dry ingredients and stir to combine, but stop while there are still some streaks of flour. Add walnuts if you got 'em. Batter goes in pan.

Slice the last banana diagonally into .25 inch pieces and shingle them in a line on each side of the loaf, leaving a reverse mohawk the middle. Sprinkle sugar on top.

Bake until toothpick goes in and comes out clean, about an hour. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then take it out and let it cool for an hour.

Enjoy!

I strongly recommend paying for the paywall on the Cook's Illustrated website, because I used to be afraid of the kitchen until I read their cooking concepts book, and once I got through the recipes I liked a few times, I wanted to branch out but didn't want to lose the outright quality their instruction has guaranteed me.

this is the absolute best banana nut bread. the extra step of creating, and reducing, the banana juice is worth it. this also has the added bonus of being able to use frozen over ripe bananas.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nicol Bolas posted:

If you want crazy, baked monstrosity that uses an unreasonable number of eggs, then try making spekkoek:

http://www.food.com/recipe/spekkoek-thousand-layer-spice-cake-144748

It's a multilayered, spiced cake.

Edit: Lemon Meringue or Key Lime Pie are options too. You can use the egg yolks to make the curd filling, and the whites to make the meringue. In the same vain, if you want to go for a real baked monstrosity, then you could make a Baked Alaska, yolks in the ice cream, whites in the meringue and whole eggs in the sponge cake.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Chicolini posted:

this is the absolute best banana nut bread. the extra step of creating, and reducing, the banana juice is worth it. this also has the added bonus of being able to use frozen over ripe bananas.

Awesome! Looking forward to giving this one a try. Very confident I'm going to screw up with the banana prep at the start but you don't get very far by not trying eh!

defectivemonkey posted:

I always use this one from Smitten Kitchen. And I make a LOT of banana bread. It's always a big hit with coworkers and is easily customizable. You can put in half whole wheat flour if you want and substitute a flax egg for one of the eggs (I also always double it). Definitely use the bourbon.

Cheers defectivemonkey. Didn't specify in my original post but I was looking for something I could share with the whole family. The recipe says the bourbon is optional but if you're saying it's a must have then it sounds like a fine candidate for an "adults only" banana bread. Certainly willing to try making both and reporting back. Out of interest, have you tried playing around with other liquor? I'd be interested to try playing around with cognac or brandy or something.

Additional, but unrelated, question: I tried to make aquafaba meringues for the first time this afternoon. They seemed to come together okay. Got them into the oven, which was set at around 120 C. Went back to check on them about half an hour later and I was looking at some puddles of brown liquid. I've got three guesses as to what I screwed up, sorted by likeliness descending:

1) My lovely, cantankerous electric oven got too hot and the meringues came apart in the heat
2) I didn't mix at a high enough speed. I was nervous about blasting the aquafaba at full speed for a full fifteen minutes. I went low-medium for maybe the first 10 minutes and then maxed out for the last five in order to get the peaks to form. Went back down to medium when adding the sugar. Once all the sugar had been added, I noted that the mixture was now only forming very soft peaks, so I went to max speed for another couple of minutes to get the firm peaks back.
3) The sugar I used. One cup of brown sugar, as seems fairly standard. It was dried out due to its container not sealing properly.

DPM fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 1, 2016