Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hit and run is pretty rough to deal with until you get the weapon distance and animation timing down, and then its trivial. Keep practicing, you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Cyberventurer posted:

Just got chumped by someone who probably did most of his damage to me with running katana thrusts that I couldn't punish or parry. I never felt so bad at the game before. :(

Katana's have a really lame move set it's hard as gently caress to deal with that spam.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They poke like spear-distance, it's rough.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

O.M.G

I had no idea if you two hand the longsword you can use the weapon arts regardless of offhand.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Untended Graves has to have the best atmosphere in any souls game

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So just got invaded by a dude who went through my shield with on attack and then killed me with one animation of 3 hits.

It was Yohrms but at least he let me get to the first bonfire of dragon peak when he came in. Lol.

Vermain posted:

The few percentage points of difference really don't matter, and VIT is usually worse point-for-point than VIG for increasing your survivability. The difference between the Lothric Set and the Dark Set is maybe, maybe being able to tank one extra hit at very high levels of VIG.

But it's a few points on each piece so surely it adds up?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Music some guy ripped from the game files. Despite the titles it just might be unused or unfinished music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLFfAdPEsgwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IyI5TLRNvwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdByf0lP-qM

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

But it's a few points on each piece so surely it adds up?

Armor is useless in Dark Souls 3 and you should only wear that set if you think it looks pretty.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah so...I was in the undead settlement and I found the whole way over to Siegeward and we defeated the demon but unfortunately after it was dead he planted himself on a ledge and I didn't get to talk to him. Will this mess up the storyline? Do I have to wind my way back through there to get it to progress or what?

Also, this game is so much tighter than 2. Straight up.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the Nameless King. I've been trying to kill him for the better part of a day and I can get him down to 1/4 of his health before dying. Right now he and the final boss are the only ones I have left to kill before moving onto NG+. He's only the boss that's been giving me a lot of trouble, more than all the other bosses combined, and I just want to get his soul.

I've been trying to use the summons outside but I have Been unable to summon a single player out of the 30-40 signs I've seen so far. I figured I might have better luck with a password matchmaking system. If anyone is willing to help out, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'd be happy to listen to some advice that isn't a variation of "Git Gud."

Oh yeah I'm on the PS4. Almost forgot to mention that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Yeah so...I was in the undead settlement and I found the whole way over to Siegeward and we defeated the demon but unfortunately after it was dead he planted himself on a ledge and I didn't get to talk to him. Will this mess up the storyline? Do I have to wind my way back through there to get it to progress or what?

Also, this game is so much tighter than 2. Straight up.

In my last playthrough I didn't even do the demon with him and he still appeared in the Well for me. You should be okay. You did miss two gestures though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nakar posted:

I'd happily accept this if I got Bloodborne quickstepping back. Or Bloodborne weapon movesets. Just put the Saw Cleaver in DLC and we'll call it squares, From.

This is what I want. I miss quickstepping so much, and the wilder, more varied weapon movesets with faster windups.

Weapon art quickstepping just isn't the same. :smith:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

The few percentage points of difference really don't matter, and VIT is usually worse point-for-point than VIG for increasing your survivability. The difference between the Lothric Set and the Dark Set is maybe, maybe being able to tank one extra hit at very high levels of VIG.

VIT has much better fashion souls scaling though.

The other big advantage of VIG though is that life ring and ring of favor make it even better value, and non-magic builds have plenty of flexibiltity in ring slots for them.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 1, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Cyberventurer posted:

Just got chumped by someone who probably did most of his damage to me with running katana thrusts that I couldn't punish or parry. I never felt so bad at the game before. :(

As a Katana user, I can tell you that the running attack can most definitely be parried consistently once you learn the timing. Parry someone doing it once or twice, and they'll generally learn to stop doing it to competent players that are facing them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I miss the quickstep a lot and it was hard to get used to being stuck with the lame roll again. I want the bloodletter or the whirligig, personally. or any weapon with alternate combos like the rakuyo had

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cool little easter egg someone found where you don't talk to the handmaid until after speaking to her in Untended Graves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mHuSFRzZM

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

actually gently caress that, bring back the beast's embrace/beast claw combo. werewolf mode was awesome

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The Dancer/Sword Master glitch is fun if nothing else so that I can be a Fat Dancer Bluecop at level 38

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Genocyber posted:

Cool little easter egg someone found where you don't talk to the handmaid until after speaking to her in Untended Graves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mHuSFRzZM

That's actually really cool.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Manatee Cannon posted:

actually gently caress that, bring back the beast's embrace/beast claw combo. werewolf mode was awesome

I was hoping they'd do something like this for the dragon items this go around so they wouldn't be useless. Some dragon claw weapons would be pretty rad.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

According to the wiki all of the Ghrus can drop them, but from my experience only the poison spitters and naked ones with daggers drop them. The spear/shield guys never did.

As a guy who had to farm 30 swordgrass, the spear guys do drop them.

Took me 4 million souls worth of silver knights to get the ears with 340 item find. That's more time than it took to go through ng+.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anal Surgery posted:

The Dancer/Sword Master glitch is fun if nothing else so that I can be a Fat Dancer Bluecop at level 38

You're beautiful :allears: Now we just need a slim Vordt and we have a reverse duo.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Actually, Bluecop question, does it matter WHERE I am bluecopping? I'm level 38 so is it better for me to be "active" in Farron keep or Catacombs or will it pull me in wherever?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Anal Surgery posted:

deadly at every size

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nicaden posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the Nameless King. I've been trying to kill him for the better part of a day and I can get him down to 1/4 of his health before dying. Right now he and the final boss are the only ones I have left to kill before moving onto NG+. He's only the boss that's been giving me a lot of trouble, more than all the other bosses combined, and I just want to get his soul.

I've been trying to use the summons outside but I have Been unable to summon a single player out of the 30-40 signs I've seen so far. I figured I might have better luck with a password matchmaking system. If anyone is willing to help out, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'd be happy to listen to some advice that isn't a variation of "Git Gud."

Oh yeah I'm on the PS4. Almost forgot to mention that.

What are your stats? A shield with high lightning block helps a lot in the second phase. Dragonslayer shield is perfect, but requires very high strength. I did the fight with 18 Str, which was just enough for a +9 lothric knight shield, which has high stability and high lightning block. Otherwise, you could try the spirit tree crest shield. Rings and gear that boost physical and lightning absorption will help a lot as well. After that, you just need to get the rhythm down for his attacks and find when to hit back. The end of a combo is not always the safest time, and it pays to be aggressive when you think you're safe, since you can stagger him and get a critical if you get in enough hits. Use human pine resin for a boost to your damage, since he is weak to dark damage. If you have the build for a dark weapon, that would be even better.

Are you having trouble with the first phase? What I found to work for me is to only lock on when he flies away from you, but not when he flies directly up. If he's getting you with the fire breath, then try not to be directly under him for long. That's easier said than done because I often found that I'd end up under him since that's a safe way to dodge his other attacks. But after he's done attacking, just run directly back in front of his head. If he starts the downward fire breath, just keep running in that same direction and you'll be fine. Using a weapon with vertical swings helps a lot here, as does lightning damage. If you hit the dragon's head, you can stagger it, but I found it safer to go for its neck and just reposition after attacking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The best time to hit Nameless King is whenever he's standing with his arms at his side. Wait for about a second after he finishes a combo, and if he's in that pose, hit him once or twice with a fast weapon., I was still able to get three visceral attacks off just slowly whacking him with a Scimitar using this strategy.

I recommend blocking the first two attacks of his combo and then rolling through the third, depending on your Endurance. The timing on the last hit is different than the first two swings, so it's better for your sense of rhythm to only focus on dodging the last one.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
His swings are slow enough to dodge, and he really doesn't have anything that's lagless or fast. Pretty much all of his moves have -some- or even considerable delay to them, he's just relentless in how much damage he does and how big his health bar is.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

argondamn posted:

In my last playthrough I didn't even do the demon with him and he still appeared in the Well for me. You should be okay. You did miss two gestures though.

Awww, I wanted those gestures too. Ahh well. How I fell off the ledge actually saved both of us because I manged to get in a split second plunging attack which whopped like 550 damage off of him. Saved both of our asses. Was the giant up in the tower supposed to help? I was nice to him. I figured he'd throw some of those spears.

Anyhoo...

I've been using the Dark Axe I found in the mimic back on the wall and it's really nice. Any suggestions for upgrades or just straight titanite? Is it viable late game. I like it's enemy attack cancelling on all but the heavy mobs.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Awww, I wanted those gestures too. Ahh well. How I fell off the ledge actually saved both of us because I manged to get in a split second plunging attack which whopped like 550 damage off of him. Saved both of our asses. Was the giant up in the tower supposed to help? I was nice to him. I figured he'd throw some of those spears.

You get the emotes later on in the quest if you miss them the first time IIRC.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Ugh, the host being able to summon the same phantoms over and over after you kill them is the worst, theres basically no penalty for them dying.

Casual Souls.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NTT posted:

he's just relentless in how much damage he does and how big his health bar is.

Right, which is why it's best to block with the Lothric Knight Shield for most of his attacks and only roll through the ones you're confident on.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monomythian posted:

Ugh, the host being able to summon the same phantoms over and over after you kill them is the worst, theres basically no penalty for them dying.

Casual Souls.

Some dragon invader and I just fought like, twelve phantoms from the same host before he finally went down

I wish I'd gotten a video of that

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What are your stats? A shield with high lightning block helps a lot in the second phase. Dragonslayer shield is perfect, but requires very high strength. I did the fight with 18 Str, which was just enough for a +9 lothric knight shield, which has high stability and high lightning block. Otherwise, you could try the spirit tree crest shield. Rings and gear that boost physical and lightning absorption will help a lot as well. After that, you just need to get the rhythm down for his attacks and find when to hit back. The end of a combo is not always the safest time, and it pays to be aggressive when you think you're safe, since you can stagger him and get a critical if you get in enough hits. Use human pine resin for a boost to your damage, since he is weak to dark damage. If you have the build for a dark weapon, that would be even better.

Are you having trouble with the first phase? What I found to work for me is to only lock on when he flies away from you, but not when he flies directly up. If he's getting you with the fire breath, then try not to be directly under him for long. That's easier said than done because I often found that I'd end up under him since that's a safe way to dodge his other attacks. But after he's done attacking, just run directly back in front of his head. If he starts the downward fire breath, just keep running in that same direction and you'll be fine. Using a weapon with vertical swings helps a lot here, as does lightning damage. If you hit the dragon's head, you can stagger it, but I found it safer to go for its neck and just reposition after attacking.

Thanks for the suggestion to use the Dragonslayer Shield. It really helped me out a lot. Beat him on my first try after trying your suggestion. Looks like going on the forums to complain about a boss helped as well.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Suddenly the fight seemed to click for me and I was dodging most of his attacks and blocking the rest.

Nicaden fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 1, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Bad fashion confessions.

I love the Herald's set chest piece with Knight hands and legs, adjust funny hat to taste. Even with my tendency to fill all 6 weapon slots with something, I wouldn't need even the VIT I have while eyeballing a bit more later, if not for wanting "Armor" to go with the herald's chest and my pope hat (With assassin hood up until then). The main reason I'd want even more VIT beyond my tendency to carry a small arsenal, would be to pop on the shiny as hell Lothric legs without Havel's ring.

I mean, who the gently caress uses mostly class equipment as their favorite dressup, right? :saddowns:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Section Z posted:

I mean, who the gently caress uses class equipment as their favorite dressup, right? :saddowns:

a lot of it is cool and good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

I mean, who the gently caress uses class equipment as their favorite dressup, right? :saddowns:

My Demon's Souls go-to was the Knight chest with the Thief mask/gloves/legs for a kind of brigand with a breastplate look and I used the Knight chest in Dark Souls 2 (the like chainmail with a red falcon surcoat over it, Falconer) all the time because it looked loving fly

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously all red invaders in ithyrill dungeon can get hosed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Anal Surgery posted:

Actually, Bluecop question, does it matter WHERE I am bluecopping? I'm level 38 so is it better for me to be "active" in Farron keep or Catacombs or will it pull me in wherever?

Apparently not. I was in Anor Londo and got summoned to Cathedral of the Deep yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Wagrid posted:

Astora Straight Sword has high base damage but bad scaling, so it's ideal for a Raw infusion, which will be really strong for most of the early game. It is a solid choice.

That's exactly what I did. Got a raw gem and infused rear end (heh raw rear end) and got it to plus 2. New character has 20 vigor and my health bar is 4 feet long. I got 21 STR I think and just enough des and faith to use it. Going to go with strength this time on my new herald. Armor looks great. Capes are great.

The rear end does 184 damage lol.