Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Krinkle posted:

I have seen silver knights pop and drop literally every loving item on their loot table sans ears more times than I've seen ears. I have 99 luck and 500 item find. I have 18 ears. I'm in hell. This is the worst loving poo poo I've ever done to myself. I just sold 297 loving silver knight boots and hats and shields. I did the math.

I had to farm a full set for my cosplay and that took me about 4 outfits worth of spares. It took an hour.

Don't be a bluecop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

lite_sleepr posted:

Why do I suck?

I'm finding that even Lothric Knights are tricky when they hit me. I'm easily staggered and none of my hits seem to stagger anything. I can hit something once and it will just swing right through it and murder me with a quickness. Take for example that black rear end in a top hat in the Ferran Keep perimeter. That guy is sick nasty to fight, more so than the red eyed Lothrics.

What have I done wrong?

https://twitter.com/lite_sleepr/status/726567351030665216

Everything everyone else has said: too low hp, drop flynns + fatrolling is really bad since there is no poise. Endurance might be a little low for a shield user, but then again it's not so easy to get it up in the early levels.

For infusing your sword, I would go with refined. Since your Str is so high you will probably get more from the scaling than you would raw infusion at this point, Raw is only good if you have bare minimum stats and Heavy is good for min maxing str weapons. You can do the math on the infusion screen to be sure. The reason I say refined because it's a Dex weapon and you have more STR (I found Refined works better on such a weapon for a STR character.) It's a marginal difference, but it adds up over many swings (such as against a boss.)

Also recommend adding some resins to your quickbar for buffing before hard fights, the buffs add a LOT of damage especially early on since they dont scale with anything.

When selecting which armor to wear, make sure to prioritize physical absorbtion and available weight, dont bother with poise. Make sure to have one piece of gear in each slot.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 1, 2016

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Andrigaar posted:

Walking into that area drops me from 45+fps to 4fps as it loads the area. Is your computer straining itself and passing out?

Nah before this patch I would get 60 frames a second no problem. Didn't have any crashes at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTT posted:

I had to farm a full set for my cosplay and that took me about 4 outfits worth of spares. It took an hour.

Don't be a bluecop

there's a spell in there you need for a trophy/achievement, so you kinda have to if you care about that stuff

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The big advice I have for new players would be don't be greedy for damage to enemies. Trying to squeeze in 4 hits and getting hit in return won't sustain getting 2 hits in and having the stamina to avoid the counter attack from a heir of flame. late game that goes down to one hit on everything except the occasional long break between attacks you get, as well as certain fast weapons.

Also, always have a response for both groups of small enemies and shielded big ones. Certain characters get crushed handily by cathedral knights because they will always lead with shield bash (:argh:) and only have a small window of vulnerability after their 2-3 attack string before they're back behind the shield.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's a spell in there you need for a trophy/achievement, so you kinda have to if you care about that stuff

I have 74% achievements and this is the first time I've bothered to look. I don't see how getting the achievement for getting darkmoon blade will ever be worth farming for literally like 20 hours WITH tryhard luck boost. It's a cool spell but I treat covenant rewards in DS1 as off limits for the same reason; it's not worth the effort. Unless you're a big serious PvP guy and having darkmoon blade is literally what makes your build run, I just don't see the use.

e; i say this as someone who desperately wishes bluecopping worked and tried to get it to work as soon as I got it. I will not loving grind that poo poo.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Krinkle posted:

I have seen silver knights pop and drop literally every loving item on their loot table sans ears more times than I've seen ears. I have 99 luck and 500 item find. I have 18 ears. I'm in hell. This is the worst loving poo poo I've ever done to myself. I just sold 297 loving silver knight boots and hats and shields. I did the math.

I have a suspicion there's actually an anti-farming thing in the game. While farming the last 10 or so Swordgrass for the Watchdogs because the summons started getting too slow, I almost immediately got 5 or so drops within 10 runs through the area right outside Abyss Watchers. All of the drops came off of different individual enemies. After that, I got a few more through summons and then the last drop came off an individual enemy that had yet to drop one. I never got another drop from an individual enemy that had dropped one before.

I was also killing the darkwraiths and over time they started dropping way less equipment, and started dropping just cracked red orbs. This is just conjecture based on an anecdote though, but it definitely felt like something was up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

BillmasterCozb posted:

there has to be a better way to get swordgrass and ears

Grass ain't no big deal. That bonfire with a bridge that has three of them on it? Farm those suckers. Quick and easy.

Ears are wait-until-patch bad poo poo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NTT posted:

Also, always have a response for both groups of small enemies and shielded big ones. Certain characters get crushed handily by cathedral knights because they will always lead with shield bash (:argh:) and only have a small window of vulnerability after their 2-3 attack string before they're back behind the shield.

Eat the shield bash, it does jack poo poo for damage. Parry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTT posted:

I have 74% achievements and this is the first time I've bothered to look. I don't see how getting the achievement for getting darkmoon blade will ever be worth farming for literally like 20 hours WITH tryhard luck boost. It's a cool spell but I treat covenant rewards in DS1 as off limits for the same reason; it's not worth the effort. Unless you're a big serious PvP guy and having darkmoon blade is literally what makes your build run, I just don't see the use.

e; i say this as someone who desperately wishes bluecopping worked and tried to get it to work as soon as I got it. I will not loving grind that poo poo.

it doesn't really matter if it's worth it to you. if someone else wants that trophy, that's what they're gonna have to do. clearly it is worth it to some people, even if it is an awful grind. people had platinum in demon's souls and dark souls 1 as well, and they also had terrible grind trophies

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I mean maybe I'm a big dummy too but I just bothered to bring up my vigor to 30 recently from like 22 and I'm level 100.

I'm strength building. Currently

30 VIG
29 END
30 VIT
47 STR

I dumped a ton into VIT to wear the Lothric Knight armor but I also didn't know the STR rings existed at that point. Still dumpin more into it now so I can use FUGs and not be wearing rags.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

argondamn posted:

New co-op gimmick idea, blue character with dragon stones named Ocelotte.

New Gesture gimmick to go along with your idea, "You're pretty good".

e; Alos, what teh hell is a vig gouge build? Gutting VIG and gitting gud for better stats in other areas?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also I found out the hard way dumping the points to put DEX to 15 to use bows was kinda a waste. Oh well.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrLonghair posted:

Grass ain't no big deal. That bonfire with a bridge that has three of them on it? Farm those suckers. Quick and easy.

It seems that the only one that drops grass would be the poison spitter, the other ones are just way too goddamn strong on NG++, it is not worth the frustration.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MrLonghair posted:

Isn't the grass drop rate completely garbage?

Not that it matters terribly to me, I'm having fun with my new second character who is almost to the swamp to play 25-30 invademans.

Edit: actually I know for a fact the drop rate is poo poo, didn't see a single loving grass while mashing out pale tongues for respecs and the Bad Player Sword from dickwraiths. Three of the poison dudes per run.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 1, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

It seems that the only one that drops grass would be the poison spitter, the other ones are just way too goddamn strong on NG++, it is not worth the frustration.

According to the wiki all of the Ghrus can drop them, but from my experience only the poison spitters and naked ones with daggers drop them. The spear/shield guys never did.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Krinkle posted:

The worst thing I ever did was the headshot trophy in Witcher 3. I had max critical gear for my crossbow and after about 5 hours realized crits didn't count as headshot kills when you shoot them in the head.Took another couple of hours after that to finish up.

This sounds even worse. Getting all miracles is the BME Pain Olympics of trophies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

According to the wiki all of the Ghrus can drop them, but from my experience only the poison spitters and naked ones with daggers drop them. The spear/shield guys never did.

I thought the bonfire with 3 dudes next to it was a good farming spot, and aren't at least 2 of those 3 mobs spear/shield guys?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They are supposed to drop from them, that poster was just using an anecdote

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As someone who has farmed those enemies in that area, no. No it's barely better than Silver Knights.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, it's better than Silver Knights, but not as good as human dreg farming from the deacon guys.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Broseph Brostar posted:

I seen a phantom yesterday named Ashen Larry and lost my poo poo

Hello gimmick pvp name.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think the main issue with Poise is the game acts like Bloodborne but has Dark Souls hit frames on weapons. In BB you can almost always hit trade with enemies because your attack does damage before you can get stunned and it's possible to soldier through that with the rally regain or just quickstep out of it. In exchange enemies recover faster so only really quick attacks like the untransformed Saw R1 and Reiterpallasch R1s and (sometimes) the Kirk/Ludwig 1H mode R1s could stunlock. In DS3 your damage and hit frames happen later in the swing so you can get knocked out of it before you actually hit trade with anything, and stuff recovers too fast unless you're in the exact sweet spot that Straight Swords occupy. And you're not regaining lost health with the hit trade so you just eat poo poo constantly.

I'd happily accept this if I got Bloodborne quickstepping back. Or Bloodborne weapon movesets. Just put the Saw Cleaver in DLC and we'll call it squares, From.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Your Computer posted:

I thought the bonfire with 3 dudes next to it was a good farming spot, and aren't at least 2 of those 3 mobs spear/shield guys?

I tried both spots, the bridge near the bonfire and outside Abyss Watchers and outside Abyss Watchers seemed much better but like I said I never got more than one drop off an individual enemy, and never got one from any spear/shield guy. It's a relatively small sample size though, and I only had 150-ish Item Find.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, I was doing some PvP with a buddy of mine in Lothric Castle and then the Archives (I used a dried finger the whole time) and I have to say, this was the most fun I've ever had in this game. The constant 2 Vs 2 matches were incredible. I also had Way of the Blue on, so a bunch of darkmoons and sentinels were quite happy tonight I imagine, since I got a pretty steady stream of them popping in.

Some Highlights of the night:
1. Multiple occasions, a red phantom would be dueling with me or a darkmoon or my buddy (I made a policy to never engage in 2 Vs 1 fights. I'd stand back and applaud) and then a mad phantom would run up out of nowhere and try to gank one of the participants, only to have both immediately turn on them and mulch them. It only got funnier every time it happened. It happened to one mad spirit twice in a row. Guess he didn't learn his lesson.

2. Was fighting a red phantom that had killed my buddy in the narrow bookcases right near the entrance where you run up and drop down. They end up getting finished off by a second red phantom doing a surprise plunging attack on them. I dunno if they were aiming for me or the other red phantom, but it was pretty funny.

3. Me and my buddy decided to do something REALLY goofy and we made a prism stone trail leading from the pre-bridge elevator up to the winged knight area, where we then both used white branches to pose as incredibly out of place statues on either side of the staircase leading up to the winged knights/tower. Now, this was an INCREDIBLY obvious disguise, but people just kind of paused and stood there for a moment to process the inconceivably lovely ambush in front of them.

Finally, I discovered a remarkably effective PvP weapon combo while goofing around: Take a polearm with some sort of poke on its light attack (I used gundyr, my buddy decided to try this as well and had success with the black knight glaive) and use it in your offhand. In your main hand, use some sort of fast weapon with roughly longsword reach (I used the Moriron sword, personally. But anything with roughly that speed and reach should do. Maybe can get away with shorter reach, but I'm not sure). It is incredibly easy to combo your polearm poke into an r1 combo from the straight sword or what-have-you. There's no way to avoid it, the hitstun is long enough and the reach is just right and magic happens. If they try to roll the polearm? 90% of the time, they ate a bunch of R1 strikes from the straight sword coming out of their roll. I had a variety of attacks with different degrees of reach and speed, which played havoc with dodging predictions and parrying. As a bonus, I could two-hand Gundyr's and pull off the charge whenever i felt like it. I also won several fights because people didn't expect the sudden double red tearstone effect when I hit low HP from the ring and sword. They'd rush in, only to eat and attack that would not have killed them before, but now it does.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have gotten like ten ears in the last half hour. What the fuckkkk? I just need one more. One more and I can go to NG++ and pick up the two on the ground and I'm done.
Just.
One.
More.
Ear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

farming for any of the covenant items is a hellish nightmare; from really hates the idea of players bypassing the pvp stuff for the covenants. you gotta have a looooooot of patience to get all the spells. never thought I'd say that dark souls 2 forcing you to go to ng++ for no reason was better game design, but here we are

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would be fine with them making bypassing the pvp covenants a slog if the pvp covenants worked properly in the first place

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm his buddy :v:

Obligatum VII posted:

1. Multiple occasions, a red phantom would be dueling with me or a darkmoon or my buddy (I made a policy to never engage in 2 Vs 1 fights. I'd stand back and applaud) and then a mad phantom would run up out of nowhere and try to gank one of the participants, only to have both immediately turn on them and mulch them. It only got funnier every time it happened. It happened to one mad spirit twice in a row. Guess he didn't learn his lesson.

The best example of this was a red phantom doing duel bows and clapping at the stairs up to the Archives, when all of a sudden a mad phantom with a demon's greataxe barrelled around the corner and instantly killed him with a backstab mid-bow...and then got jumped by a Darkmoon that invaded buck-naked with nothing but a Symbol of Avarice and some curved greatsword. That 45 seconds was basically The Dark Souls PVP Experience.

Obligatum VII posted:

Finally, I discovered a remarkably effective PvP weapon combo while goofing around: Take a polearm with some sort of poke on its light attack (I used gundyr, my buddy decided to try this as well and had success with the black knight glaive) and use it in your offhand. In your main hand, use some sort of fast weapon with roughly longsword reach (I used the Moriron sword, personally. But anything with roughly that speed and reach should do. Maybe can get away with shorter reach, but I'm not sure). It is incredibly easy to combo your polearm poke into an r1 combo from the straight sword or what-have-you. There's no way to avoid it, the hitstun is long enough and the reach is just right and magic happens. If they try to roll the polearm? 90% of the time, they ate a bunch of R1 strikes from the straight sword coming out of their roll. I had a variety of attacks with different degrees of reach and speed, which played havoc with dodging predictions and parrying. As a bonus, I could two-hand Gundyr's and pull off the charge whenever i felt like it. I also won several fights because people didn't expect the sudden double red tearstone effect when I hit low HP from the ring and sword. They'd rush in, only to eat and attack that would not have killed them before, but now it does.

For real, sword+offhand halberd may sound loving stupid, but try it. People have no idea how to react, and because poise is still busted, tagging them with a poke is a death sentence if your main-hand weapon is fast enough. I'm pretty sure the build could be punished extremely hard by people who know what to expect (or if poise is put back in properly), but people very visibly had no idea what the gently caress we were doing, or treated us like idiots up until we mauled them to death.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I don't know what these ears are you are all posting about but I sure do have a lot of these.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't get it lol. I can't get summoned as a watchdog but I can invade 1000000 watchdogless worlds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I would be fine with them making bypassing the pvp covenants a slog if the pvp covenants worked properly in the first place

the covenants should work, but it also shouldn't take like 10 hours of farming per covenant to get the items if you don't like pvp. also I think watchdogs should have the same kind of back scaling as password coop because it seems like you're kinda hosed if you don't get that done the first time you get to the swamp

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I got two in a row so now I only need one. But I had an inkling of a thought. Did I already give her one? Last week when I played through for the first time?

I ran over and handed in 29 ears. Darkmoon blade and a cool story. I'm done. Thank you ma'am. Thank you. I'm a dumb-as-rocks luckboy now and can't cast it until NG++ because I melted the respec lady down for the third to last miracle but thank you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the covenants should work, but it also shouldn't take like 10 hours of farming per covenant to get the items if you don't like pvp. also I think watchdogs should have the same kind of back scaling as password coop because it seems like you're kinda hosed if you don't get that done the first time you get to the swamp

You can literally only get summoned to farron, ever, if you're not level 20 and you haven't upgraded your weapon differently from 3. At high levels and NG+ Nobody even stands around and farms people later in the game. Or it uses the same math as blue moon and there's nobody eligible for summoning. I leveled my swamp hag too high and 35 with a +6 can't get summoned. I was just trying to get that sweet spot where you invade in the poison part of the swamp and that doesn't seem to exist. I was tired of yellow finger hazel giving me poo poo in the upstairs not poison swamp area.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 1, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I am just gobsmacked that the Lothric Knight set is the best provided you have the carry limit. Like I love how the dark knight set looks but it's pretty much worse than the Lothric set.

So basically farm the Knights when you start a new game and never have to worry about farming gear again.

Cool.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Rosaria doesn't need to be alive for covenant purposes, there's no actual reason to return her soul rather than transpose it. You can respec at her corpse.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
me irl (armor spoilers?)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

So I am just gobsmacked that the Lothric Knight set is the best provided you have the carry limit. Like I love how the dark knight set looks but it's pretty much worse than the Lothric set.

So basically farm the Knights when you start a new game and never have to worry about farming gear again.

Cool.

The few percentage points of difference really don't matter, and VIT is usually worse point-for-point than VIG for increasing your survivability. The difference between the Lothric Set and the Dark Set is maybe, maybe being able to tank one extra hit at very high levels of VIG.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Nakar posted:

Rosaria doesn't need to be alive for covenant purposes, there's no actual reason to return her soul rather than transpose it. You can respec at her corpse.

Haha gently caress yeah! Thank you. I was using morne's hammer and having fun just before this nonsense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I got two in a row so now I only need one. But I had an inkling of a thought. Did I already give her one? Last week when I played through for the first time?

I ran over and handed in 29 ears. Darkmoon blade and a cool story. I'm done. Thank you ma'am. Thank you. I'm a dumb-as-rocks luckboy now and can't cast it until NG++ because I melted the respec lady down for the third to last miracle but thank you.

You can literally only get summoned to farron, ever, if you're level 20 and you haven't upgraded your weapon differently from 3. At high levels and NG+ Nobody even stands around and farms people later in the game. Or it uses the same math as blue moon and there's nobody eligible for summoning. I leveled my swamp hag too high and 35 with a +6 can't get summoned. I was just trying to get that sweet spot where you invade in the poison part of the swamp and that doesn't seem to exist. I was tired of yellow finger hazel giving me poo poo in the upstairs not poison swamp area.

yea the abyss watchers have to be alive in the host's world for them to even be eligible for invasion, so that makes anyone above, like, level 30 impossible to invade outside of the occasional person that cleared the cathedral first

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
glad to see host + blue phantom teams are still somehow easier to kill than lone hosts

also what the hell are those flying things above lothric castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just got chumped by someone who probably did most of his damage to me with running katana thrusts that I couldn't punish or parry. I never felt so bad at the game before. :(