Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing MMOS is work no matter how you put it, so it isn't unreasonable to be nervous about everything suddenly being deleted one day. It is fun work that you can do with your buds but it is still work regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.
There are a lot of misconceptions about private servers.
No player would ever be in the slightest bit of legal trouble for playing on a private server. Ever. It's possible that the people running a private server could be in trouble, but not ordinary players. And the vast majority of them are completely free.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Playing MMOS is work no matter how you put it, so it isn't unreasonable to be nervous about everything suddenly being deleted one day. It is fun work that you can do with your buds but it is still work regardless
As someone who's favorite game was City of Heroes/Villains, I'm already completely prepared for this eventuality. Way more than most people are. SWG fans know what I'm talking about. All of these games are going to close someday, and pray that each one does when you no longer give a poo poo if they do.

11/30/12 NEVER FORGET

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 26, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Brave New World posted:

There are a lot of misconceptions about private servers.
No player would ever be in the slightest bit of legal trouble for playing on a private server. Ever. It's possible that the people running a private server could be in trouble, but not ordinary players. And the vast majority of them are completely free.

I'm not worried about getting sued for logging in. I'm worried about the server getting C&D'd meaning all that time/progression is at risk all the time and can go down at any second of any day. Even in countries where they wipe their rear end with US law, Blizzard spooks the data center and they're done for.

The amount of risk is increased a thousand times over compared to an official closure like Galaxies/CoH considering they're infringing on intellectual properties worth billions. Will most private servers remain up without Blizzard's intervention? Sure, but the ones worth playing are the ones with a decent population and those don't go unnoticed.

In defense of the Star Wars IP, rumor is that the only reason SWGEmu is still around is because Lucas' son is a huge Pre-CU fanboy.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 26, 2016

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Our lawyers said it's because there's no clear legal path to letting private servers of a product we no longer offer exist. It's totally not because we alienated over half our player base in the span of two years and are completely desperate, nosiree :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Swtor is pretty fun

SWTOR is the story driven MMO that I wish Final Fantasy XIV was. Doesn't tie you up with pointless filler quests and backtracking through every single zone in the game, multiple times, as a player at the level cap like XIV's storyline does.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

I said come in! posted:

SWTOR is the story driven MMO that I wish Final Fantasy XIV was. Doesn't tie you up with pointless filler quests and backtracking through every single zone in the game, multiple times, as a player at the level cap like XIV's storyline does.

Also I like that if you want you can get all the story / good feels contents without having to really work with other people.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

BromanderData posted:

Also I like that if you want you can get all the story / good feels contents without having to really work with other people.

Is it as good as the old kotor's?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimlit posted:

It's still an MMO so no. But it's pretty fuckin close in my opinion. You get to make tons of pointless moral choices which I love doing

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The quality varies a lot but some are pretty good, with the recent changes you pretty much get to do just the story missions, get to port between them and you can set any companion to any role you need and they scale super well with affection. And it's super satisfying the get to execute general Janeway (yes, Kate Mulgrew actually voices her) for war crimes she did commit and should have been executed for in Star Trek as well. Don't know what it is with her playing war criminals in scifi though. Long story short yeah it's pretty alright.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I continue to play MMOs because there doesn't seem to be too many other 3D third-person RPGs that offer an open world mixed with the ability to make a customized avatar from a selection of varied races and mix it with a selection of varied classes.

There's like... Skyrim and Dragon Age and I guess Fallout.

So keep the lovely MMOs coming, IMO.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The only MMO anyone needs is Project 1999.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Jimlit posted:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's still an MMO so no. But it's pretty fuckin close in my opinion. You get to make tons of pointless moral choices which I love doing

To echo his opinion no but it's so drat close.

Wheeee posted:

The only MMO anyone needs is Project 1999.

Truly the only MMO that anyone needs in their life is pre-cu SWG.

I currently play the EMU from time to time and it's getting there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.

Starting over is fun, so it aint that big of a deal. All of the hundreds/thousands of hours you put into Blizzard-server WoW raiding is worthless when a new expansion comes out as well, and people still enjoy it.

Mung Dynasty posted:

I continue to play MMOs because there doesn't seem to be too many other 3D third-person RPGs that offer an open world mixed with the ability to make a customized avatar from a selection of varied races and mix it with a selection of varied classes.

There's like... Skyrim and Dragon Age and I guess Fallout.

So keep the lovely MMOs coming, IMO.

Go play Dragon's Dogma if you haven't imo. It is the best video game.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Vargs posted:

It really is. I've played it dozens of times already, though.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Vargs posted:

Starting over is fun, so it aint that big of a deal. All of the hundreds/thousands of hours you put into Blizzard-server WoW raiding is worthless when a new expansion comes out as well, and people still enjoy it.

Looking this up I guess there is an updated PC version? Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

If this is the same game (Looks like it is) then I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BromanderData posted:

Looking this up I guess there is an updated PC version? Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

If this is the same game (Looks like it is) then I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

Dragon's Dogma:DA is Dragons Dogma + a huge expansion pack. It's amazing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I wouldn't say amazing. It shows its age which isn't too bad but at times you'll be fighting the controls and the camera way more than the actual enemy and of course being a console port the interface sucks, even by the low low standards ports usually have. Also the pawn AI is piss poor so some encounters become harder than they need to be, especially later on and some encounters come with gimmicks you have to know about in advance and be prepared for, worst offenders being iron or whatever golems you plain can't defeat with magic so if you didn't bring a regular damage bow you're just hosed. Overall it's pretty good though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Cool there's a parade at 4:00 I'd like you to rain on, you in?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Sorry, that's when I tell orphans that Santa isn't real.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Morglon posted:

Sorry, that's when I tell orphans that Santa isn't real.

Orphans know Santa is real. Who do you think made them orphans?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I really wanted to like the original Dragon's Dogma but the travel bummed me out. Teleport reagents cost like 12000g and running anywhere took forever.

On one quest I ran like 15 minutes out to some tower, or something, and on the way a cyclops/giant was blocking a road up a mountainside. So I decide to fight him, I'm doing my rogue-y thing, climbing around on his back stabbing him and he grabs me, turns towards the cliffside, walks like 5 feet towards it and throws me off.

I probably should've seen it coming but it was annoying because it took so long to get where I was going. In any other game, that would've been awesome. Instead, I was treated to another 15 minute run back to the quest I was doing. I think I shelved the game at that point.

My friends swear that the DLC fixed a lot of the issues with the game, including making port reagents super cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend another $40 on DD to give it a chance.

e: anyway uh I guess the moral of the story is that DD might be good now

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Only thing worse than current WoW is re-grinding old WoW on private servers, please don't do that if you are even moderately functional human being

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

suuma posted:

I really wanted to like the original Dragon's Dogma but the travel bummed me out. Teleport reagents cost like 12000g and running anywhere took forever.

On one quest I ran like 15 minutes out to some tower, or something, and on the way a cyclops/giant was blocking a road up a mountainside. So I decide to fight him, I'm doing my rogue-y thing, climbing around on his back stabbing him and he grabs me, turns towards the cliffside, walks like 5 feet towards it and throws me off.

I probably should've seen it coming but it was annoying because it took so long to get where I was going. In any other game, that would've been awesome. Instead, I was treated to another 15 minute run back to the quest I was doing. I think I shelved the game at that point.

My friends swear that the DLC fixed a lot of the issues with the game, including making port reagents super cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend another $40 on DD to give it a chance.

e: anyway uh I guess the moral of the story is that DD might be good now

Yeah, they give you a thing that makes teleporting free in Dark Arisen.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Avocados posted:

Why did this happen anyway? I had my share of MMOs and then got tired of the carrot-stick thing. Did people get tired of that on a massive scale too? I tried to revisit a few old ones, even picked up a sub, but the appeal is long gone even though they generally got big QoL updates.

WELL, basically, almost every western MMO released after WoW was bad. From 2004 to now I can't think of a single MMO that came out that wasn't just deeply deeply flawed or straight up unfinished.

A lot of them would release and they just felt incomplete. Anyone who played Warhammer Online or Age of Conan at launch knows what I'm talking about. Those games had huge initial player numbers and initial hype, the original WoW killers, but people eventually realized how crappy the product really was and left. Once the exodus begins the game already has one foot in the grave because those players will most likely never return and when the servers turn into ghost towns even the players who tolerate or even enjoy the game will leave because no one wants to play in a dead MMO world...

There were tons of MMO's no one ever talks about anymore and it was always the same story with them.. The gameplay was poo poo, the "feel" of the game was severely off (animations, graphics, feedback) the endgame (and often the regular game) was too light on actual content and everything was buggy and messy

I mean it's not very surprising that the genre died a slow death when everything in the genre was garbage except for a few super niche titles like EVE or City of Heroes (which eventually died also) or whatever

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 30, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Everything Zzulu said.

Tack on the fact that there was already a huge MMO that already worked through all those issues and you gotta question why you'd pay a sub for a game that is just worse than another game that already exists that you already somewhat enjoy.

If WoW came out now in the state it was in when it released, it would fail. Most of these games came out flat out worse that release-state WoW.

The ones that came out with a great launch still couldn't compete with a game with years of content.

Zzulu posted:

the "feel" of the game was severely off (animations, graphics, feedback)

This one in particular killed sooo many games for competitive play, and without competitive play theres no highly visible community.

There were a lot of bugs and issues in SWTOR that everyone could have ignored if the game didn't have input/animation delay. Can't interrupt heals cause of animation lock? Yeah that's the end of that game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
What do you mean after? World of Warcraft was just as big a piece of poo poo as the others on launch, it just stuck around because it was "the first" and people were invested. Many of the other games got better too and people still play them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Degs posted:

There were a lot of bugs and issues in SWTOR that everyone could have ignored if the game didn't have input/animation delay. Can't interrupt heals cause of animation lock? Yeah that's the end of that game.

SWTOR is more popular now than its ever been. All of the WoW clones have surpassed WoW because WoW was never good. Rift, for instance, is a great WoW clone. People often use the sheer volume of content as somehow a selling point. It might be, except the vast majority of that precious content never gets played by anyone because it sucks and always sucked. It'd be like saying Doctor Who is the best show ever because it's been on the longest. Why would I ever watch another sci-fi show EVER AGAIN, there's just so much content! Except nobody thinks like that, but somehow the same logic is applied to WoW. Why would I ever play another first person shooter ever again, I've already unlocked everything in Call of Duty, etc

A rational person consumes the media and moves on, instead of trying to convince yourself that you need to find a media that you can consume forever

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

A rational person consumes the media and moves on, instead of trying to convince yourself that you need to find a media that you can consume forever

I mean...exactly? The media was consumed. How long did it take to clear all available content in any game since 2011?

ou basically pointed out the lovely aspect of the genre. Mediocre gameplay tied to a long term hook. None of these games had long term hooks, though.

WoW didn't really have one either, it was just really good at convincing people it did.

And yes, Rift was the poo poo.

Edit: I should also point out I really enjoyed SWTOR, but what I mean by "it ended" was all sponsorship involved in high-tier gameplay dissolved in the first two months. Getting out-of-game exposure through big gaming groups/teams etc would have been huuuuuge for the games short term success, potentially long term. I love/am surprised that bioware has kept putting out quality updates for it, but I personally have never seen a game generate more interest than launch and can't find anything saying that's the case now, either.

Degs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 30, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morglon posted:

What do you mean after? World of Warcraft was just as big a piece of poo poo as the others on launch, it just stuck around because it was "the first" and people were invested. Many of the other games got better too and people still play them.

The key word there is "at launch", though. You had all these "WoW-killers" that came out that were garbage and looked awful because they didn't have a few years to work out the kinks that WoW did. It's only games that stepped away from that exact formula that really thrived, like EVE and the like.

Personally I resubbed to WoW recently and playing through it I can definitely see the wear and tear, but I think a large part of the issue people has is just that they're playing DPS. It sounds silly to say it but switching from DPS to tank (and sometimes heals) makes a huge difference for enjoying the dungeons, since you are actually playing the game rather than just assist targeting the tank.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Degs posted:

I mean...exactly? The media was consumed. How long did it take to clear all available content in any game since 2011?

You basically pointed out the lovely aspect of the genre. Mediocre gameplay tied to a long term hook. None of these games had long term hooks, though.

WoW didn't really have one either, it was just really good at convincing people it did.

And yes, Rift was the poo poo.

We are in agreement I think. My point was more directed towards the type of person that picks WoW because in 10 years your character will still be there. People skip newer MMOs out of the fear that at some point several years in the future, the game might shut down. I just think it's a very weird way to form an opinion about something.

Like I think it's totally okay to buy an MMO and just play the free month and be done with it. That seems completely reasonable to me. However I've noticed that when people are picking an MMO they are really trying to find a game that they can play literally forever

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

We are in agreement I think. My point was more directed towards the type of person that picks WoW because in 10 years your character will still be there. People skip newer MMOs out of the fear that at some point several years in the future, the game might shut down. I just think it's a very weird way to form an opinion about something.

Like I think it's totally okay to buy an MMO and just play the free month and be done with it. That seems completely reasonable to me. However I've noticed that when people are picking an MMO they are really trying to find a game that they can play literally forever

Oh, totally agree. I gotta admit the second part applies to me, though. I always go balls deep on a new game and then bail in a month. Always looking for that "I could play this forever" but never finding it.

Convinced it'll never happen, but can't stop myself from hoping.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think a ton of people do that, just because there is always something else with an established friend base and content to go back to. I know I have played far, far more MMOS that I care to admit (basically every moderate-large scale one for the past ten years) and I still go back to the same old poo poo time after time.

I am not sure if everyone is the same but I feel like I am trying to find That Game, that perfect MMO that will fit the preconceived notions of game play and content and vastness I have in my head but nothing just has made that bar yet. I wish I had played SWG when it was avalible, that sounds like so much my poo poo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also think it's interesting and telling that the two most fan-beloved MMOs (City of Heroes and pre-CU SWG) are the ones that failed the hardest. If WoW suddenly shut down I don't think people would react as emotionally. I can't envision people being nostalgic about WoW in 10 years except to mock it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

and I missed out on both :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I also think it's interesting and telling that the two most fan-beloved MMOs (City of Heroes and pre-CU SWG) are the ones that failed the hardest. If WoW suddenly shut down I don't think people would react as emotionally

Anything niche like that is going to have a rabid fanbase, just not a very large one. SWG was crazy detailed and a real grognard mmo so it died, Wow is casual play supreme so it survives to this day.

And people are super nostalgic for WoW, why do you think there's all this stuff going around about the Vanilla servers?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 30, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I kinda miss CoH. It was never my 'main' game, but it was always my 'between other MMOs' game.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Zzulu posted:

A lot of them would release and they just felt incomplete. Anyone who played Warhammer Online or Age of Conan at launch knows what I'm talking about.

These are amusing examples, because out of the great MMO glut of 2006-present, these are the two that stick out the most to me.

AoC had a really incredible world and soundtrack that contributed an excellent sense of place I haven't seen matched by any other MMO, and Warhammer had extremely good PVP and class variety.

They were both extremely flawed in other areas, but I find myself missing them anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Who is playing Perpetuum?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Warhammer Online would probably still exist if it had more than 2 factions and a bit more shine and polish. The core gameplay and classes were pretty fun, but the leveling got tedious and having two factions just meant that usually one faction was always steamrolling the other.

I never saw anything appealing about AoC. The fighting felt like mush and I didn't even like the intro tortage part that everyone else seemed to like. I gave it a try at release and a few years later and it just never clicked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Who is playing Perpetuum?

Wow, I can't believe that game still exists.

• Locked thread