Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

nuru posted:

What makes the Kunz spoon particularly useful?

well for starters, it's gray - and also a spoon. furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It's hard to say. It's just the perfect spoon for doing stuff. Not like, eating cereal, but a Kunz spoon of xyz was always the perfect amount for a plate. It was heavy for its size, and just felt good in your hand.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/09/gold-gray-kunz-sauce-spoon.html

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Looks like a good spoon for eating kraft macaroni and cheese with.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you must have a very large mouth because that is a very large spoon on an equally large plaque

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I was going to make fun of you guys for overpaying for a simple loving spoon, and then I saw that the non special edition ones costs about half of the price a normal table spoon from Zwilling or a similar brand and now I sort of actually want one myself instead.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wear the spoon on your neck as a sign of office.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was going to make fun of fetishizing a spoon, but honestly that's no where near the weirdest example I've seen of cooks freaking out over gear.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Business Gorillas posted:

yeah, i know its like 20%, which is why i'm having kind of a hard time believing that doubling the prices of everything on your menu is necessary, unless he wants to pay his BotH like $25-30/hour plus benefits.

i imagine the more realistic idea for him is "double the prices on everything, say its for your workers demanding more money, give them all a dollar raise and now your customer base is angry at your workers while you pocket way more money than you did previously"

its not like private restaurant owners have a history of being shady as gently caress and wanting to cut as many corners as humanly possible or anything

Most places are only paying 10-12. If you wanted to pay them well, you'd need to do something like a service fee gratuity, or increase prices to increase wages. You also have to deal with things like payroll tax.

IMO, most of our wage issues come from being a tipping culture.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you eliminated tipping but increased prices by the 15-20% people were hopefully tipping I imagine there would be horrific public outcry despite the final number being the same.

People.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

nuru posted:

If you eliminated tipping but increased prices by the 15-20% people were hopefully tipping I imagine there would be horrific public outcry despite the final number being the same.

People.

I imagine it would be something along the lines of 'taking away my CHOICE as a CONSUMER' or some such.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nuru posted:

People.

I would welcome it because even the little math that a tip requires is often too much for my food addled brain post gorging

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

nuru posted:

People.

At least where I live, the company would go out of business b/c at least 50% of our clientele consists of hilljack assholes who will be furious at no longer being able to save money on the tip.

That's probably the coolest thing about serving, though: You quickly develop a (fallible) sixth sense for assholes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What are cooks doing with sharpies?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Hopefully labeling and dating things.

In other news, I went salary today. Got a huge pay bump, and I'll still be working the 50 per week I already do.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

sniffing them, obviously

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Vorenus posted:

That's probably the coolest thing about serving, though: You quickly develop a (fallible) sixth sense for assholes.

quick guide to which customers are assholes for new FoH: all of them

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Hopefully labeling and dating things.

In other news, I went salary today. Got a huge pay bump, and I'll still be working the 50 per week I already do.

It is adorable that you believe that.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

JawKnee posted:

quick guide to which customers are assholes for new FoH: all of them

It's easier for me to keep a list of customers that I do like, there's only a dozen or so regulars that don't suck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

Well he works for a hotel, so he actually dos get treated well and compensated compared to restaurants

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Hotel dude, I get treated like a human being.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Most places are only paying 10-12. If you wanted to pay them well, you'd need to do something like a service fee gratuity, or increase prices to increase wages. You also have to deal with things like payroll tax.

IMO, most of our wage issues come from being a tipping culture.

Oh I definitely agree. It mostly just depends on what his idea of "well" is. That whole "think about the restaurant owner too :qq:" put a really bad taste in my mouth too. Then again, maybe that's due to the owners I've worked with.

I found out a couple years ago that the guy who owned the place that I had my first job at got arrested in a corruption scandal.

Edit: congrats on your promotion, btw!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hospitals too.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oh poo poo. Please tell me what an enjoyable life is like.

I get paid less at the job I went to college for than I do in the front of house...

Every other chef I've known who has moved to salary has faced 70 hour work weeks and abuse.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I'll still be working the 50 per week I already do.

Quote this in 2 months and see if it's still the case :smith:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Quote this in 2 months and see if it's still the case :smith:

Considering the guy I'm replacing could barely be bothered to do the 50 he agreed to when he got hired, I don't see it being a problem. I've also been at this property for 2 years, so I Knew What I Was Getting Into.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Pay the people that work for you a living wage in a major metropolitan US city, with benefits. $17 for a bowl of noodles isn't poo poo. That's what food grown by people paid a living wage, prepared by people paid a living wage and served by people made a living wage costs.

My restaurant calculates all prices based on labor because that's by far our highest cost, and we are an old, established farm to table. The only thing not grown/raised within 100miles is a few spices, the occasional mussel or truffle.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Pay the people that work for you a living wage in a major metropolitan US city, with benefits. $17 for a bowl of noodles isn't poo poo. That's what food grown by people paid a living wage, prepared by people paid a living wage and served by people made a living wage costs.

My restaurant calculates all prices based on labor because that's by far our highest cost, and we are an old, established farm to table. The only thing not grown/raised within 100miles is a few spices, the occasional mussel or truffle.

He charges $17 for a bowl of noodles without paying his people a living wage. He said it would increase to $28 if he did.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

He charges $17 for a bowl of noodles without paying his people a living wage. He said it would increase to $28 if he did.

The problem is that David Chang is a manchild who finds the most expensive, bestest, etc. ingredients and then just loving deep fries them. Great guy, think he's doing Good Things for the industry, but at the end of the day, he's pretty goddamn mediocre.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Haha, if you really want to check out a $28 bowl of noodles poo poo-show look into the whole Hapa Ramen story from SF. Total trainwreck.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You really have no clue what you're talking about.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I haven't talked to anyone directly involved, just friends of people. I'm not saying that Richie is anything like CDC's comment - from my limited perspective it seemed like there were a number of reasons the whole thing imploded so dramatically. It was definitely a case of $28 ramen gone awry tho...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Where can I find out more about this nefarious ramen implosion?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Guy sells restaurant/brandfor $20k (this seems super low?).
4 months later is fired for not making any money/being uncooperative.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Discendo Vox posted:

Where can I find out more about this nefarious ramen implosion?

Here, among other places. It's not an especially interesting story, though.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

The General posted:

Guy sells restaurant/brandfor $20k (this seems super low?).
4 months later is fired for not making any money/being uncooperative.

Local Line Cook Makes Poor Business Decision, Screws Everything Up All At Once

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

The problem is that David Chang is a manchild who finds the most expensive, bestest, etc. ingredients and then just loving deep fries them. Great guy, think he's doing Good Things for the industry, but at the end of the day, he's pretty goddamn mediocre.

Coming from you? That's pretty loving rich dude.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Psychobabble posted:

Coming from you? That's pretty loving rich dude.

What the gently caress? CDC isn't anywhere near as pretentious as Chang. And I like Changs stuff (except his IG is getting fuckig annoying with a million photos of Ssam sauce bottles and fuku sandwiches that all look lovely).

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Shots fired ITT

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 1, 2016

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

I was going to make fun of fetishizing a spoon, but honestly that's no where near the weirdest example I've seen of cooks freaking out over gear.

Do tell. :allears:

As dishbitch for a DFAC, I think the best I can come up with is cooks on the serving line having a preference for which ice cream scoop they use to serve up our Army slop. I'll be up to my rear end in pots, being one dishwasher for 16 cooks serving 500 troops in 90 minutes, and yet I still get "[whine] can you clean the scoop with the purple handle for me?"

Sigh... and I do, because that's the kinda agreeable doormat of an employee I am. Of course what I want to say is "sorry Private Douchebag, but your over-salted, under-done mashed potatoes aren't gonna taste any better if you served 'em with a magical Kunz spoon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Might be a portioning thing. Last cafeteria I did any work for had portioning scoops with different colored handles for easy identification.

• Locked thread