Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

CelticPredator posted:

The idea that humor in blockbusters is a bad thing is a really loving stupid notion.People enjoy laughing. It's a good emotion to feel.

A few legit humorous scenes in BvS would not have hurt the movie one drat bit.

Movie is funny as hell.

*opens box, finds green light bulbs, attacked by Super-Fascists and Parademons*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not everything needs to be a comedy and lighthearted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marky Marx posted:

How long ago was that made? You'd think movies both Marvel AND DC would learn their lesson by now that people are sick of that. It's a ridiculous mistake to repeat a decade later as if they don't realize that politics involving the death of American troops doesn't really fill seats. Well, maybe it helps with the Chinese box office.

And they've certainly not made allusions to 9/11 or the War on Terror since. Aside from in Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Winter Soldier and Avengers 2. Aside from those movies alluding to and being structure around real world parallels, they don't allude to contemporary issues.

CelticPredator posted:

The idea that humor in blockbusters is a bad thing is a really loving stupid notion.People enjoy laughing. It's a good emotion to feel.

No one has said that and no one is doing that. There has yet to be a humour free DC movie.

Marky Marx posted:

Yes, that's what an aged Batman in that predicament would say at that point in time when faced with that kind of threat. He wouldn't just be like "Who the gently caress are you?!"

What?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Humor is subjective. But for most they would fail to see what's funny about that.

Like what is so funny about that?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Humor is subjective. But for most they would fail to see what's funny about that.

I don't know what you're talking about, but explaining a joke (any joke) is never going to help when someone didn't find it funny.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

mr. stefan posted:

It's almost like the amount of lines a character has is indicative of a stylistic choice rather than a quantitative flaw, or something

I'm addition to not saying much, he just doesn't do very much to propel the plot.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

CelticPredator posted:

A moment in this terrifying nightmare/vision is something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, with big exaggerated bulbs and wires. It's also the moment poo poo starts to fall apart.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Why didn't Tommy Lee Jones' character in No Country For Old Men crack a few jokes to lighten the mood, it would have made the movie a lot more fun!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I really hope we're not going to the point of saying any of these movies have or should have 'realistic' dialogue for the characters or situations. There is absolutely nothing realistic about the quip a minute dialogue in most Marvel movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Not everything needs to be a comedy and lighthearted.

It's not all that black and white dude.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Wheeee posted:

Why didn't Tommy Lee Jones' character in No Country For Old Men crack a few jokes to lighten the mood, it would have made the movie a lot more fun!

Now I wanna see No Country For Old Super Men. 100% old Superman jokes. Haha he even flies in a wheelchair!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheeee posted:

Didn't he though? I remember laughing a bit at some of his lines. But it's been a long time.

Also, Anton Chigur is pretty funny in a dark way. There is humor in that film. Maybe not a lot, but I remember it being there.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CelticPredator posted:

I agree. For example, The Dark Knight is a darker film than BvS, but it also includes significantly more bits of comic relief.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It's not all that black and white dude.

You are making that black and white, dude. That's been your most consistent point.

"Why doesn't it have jokes?" is reducing it to a binary.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Most people don't really think about this kind of weird poo poo though. It's not a universal truth that Godzilla is Bryan Cranston because that's weird.

I do like the idea and I do love the film, but you can't expect everyone to share the same reading.

This is a ways back but I missed it so I wanted to clarify

I wasn't referring to Godzilla literally being Cranston's character, just that he makes Cranston redundant. Of course I do believe he pretty much is Cranston in spirit, but as far as writing goes, the two would not make a good movie active at the same time.

Cranston's character realistically could not have kept going in the film because its scope so utterly dwarfed what he could have done. So instead, a character with the same goals and viewpoint as his character that COULD keep up with the scope was brought in- Godzilla.

The best thing about the Everyday Soldierman character was that he very neatly slots into lots of different scenarios and because he is driven by different things than Godzilla or his father, he doesn't get in the way of those two instead acting as their support when their goals align. This results in a main character who is kind of just there for most of it, not helped by his actor generally not being able to match the force of personality that you'd need to to be heard in that kind of shitstorm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So there's no middle ground is there, apperently.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Did you completely forget Woody Harrelson's character?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everything already is funny

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I think the lesson to learn is that you have to find a balance between harsh reality and comic relief. Deadpool without jokes would be a super depressing movie.

At least til the happy ending. Even then. EUgh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was humor through out Batman V Superman though?

Lex is generally hilariously sociopathic and deeply misanthropic in his inability to cope with normal people and project a human facade for more than a few moments. Alfred is one of the best things in the movie and Wonder Woman and Bruce's entire banter back and forth is great.

Superman is the only one who really doesn't indulge too much in the comedy stylings but the dude has the entire world on his back and is grappling with how he is seen by the public. He's got the most on his plate and every time he tries to do the right thing it blows up in his face.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

So there's no middle ground is there, apperently.

I disagree. DC movies, for me, do hit that middle ground. Marvel does not. Marvel seems terrified of making me feel anything but the urge to chuckle. I can't care about them anymore because they don't seem to want me to. Honestly, that's fine. I'm 29, now. It would be weird if I still had strong feelings about watching Captain America punch different kinds of SWAT team in different movies. I do hate to use the term 'for children' because I don't think that's what Marvel aims for (they aim for everyone) they just seem a little worried about the extremes of emotion. DC seems less worried about that. And, again, these are sweeping generalizations about varying media from both companies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen No Country For Old Men despite having the bluray, but the Coen Bros are masters of black humor.

The problem with quippiness is that they are used to mask their films' lack of sincerity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

I disagree. DC movies, for me, do hit that middle ground. Marvel does not. Marvel seems terrified of making me feel anything but the urge to chuckle. I can't care about them anymore because they don't seem to want me to. Honestly, that's fine. I'm 29, now. It would be weird if I still had strong feelings about watching Captain America punch different kinds of SWAT team in different movies. I do hate to use the term 'for children' because I don't think that's what Marvel aims for (they aim for everyone) they just seem a little worried about the extremes of emotion. DC seems less worried about that.

Nolan did this perfectly for me. And he included jokes and a ton of emotion. Like, I've never gotten that complaint that Nolan films were cold. They have a ton of heart to them. Sure, they're not the most subtle thing, but I'll be damned if Rachel's death isn't still kinda shocking to me.

Snyder just doesn't work for me at all any more. Which sucks because he was an all time favorite director for me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Nolan did this perfectly for me. And he included jokes and a ton of emotion. Like, I've never gotten that complaint that Nolan films were cold. They have a ton of heart to them. Sure, they're not the most subtle thing, but I'll be damned if Rachel's death isn't still kinda shocking to me.

I've absolutely seen the complaint that his films are cold. Mostly about Inception, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will agree that MoS's jokes were much better than BvS's. The 0 Days Since Last Accident gag is so simple, yet perfectly executed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inception's issue might be Cobb's lack of a real personality. He's probably the coldest of all of Nolan's heroes. I like him, alright, but I can understand their issues with him.

Like, for all of Interstellar's faults, that movie is just a loving wave of emotions. Nolan loves to make people feel. And that's great because he's real good at it. You can argue that his movies might be inconsitant in terms of story or logic or whatever, but like the message of Interstellar, sort of...emotion transcends time and space.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

BiggerBoat posted:

I think DC should scrap the built universe thing and just go directly to having Snyder make a four hour Kingdome Come movie.

I'm 100% down for this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Interstellar and Tomorrowland make a good double feature.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I've absolutely seen the complaint that his films are cold. Mostly about Inception, though.

It's weird. Inception struck a bigger chord with me emotionally than any other action movie that I have ever seen.

In defense of BvS, Snyder did manage to make me feel uncomfortable during some scenes which is more than any of the Marvel films. BvS is much more frustrating to me than any of the Marvel films though since I feel that it had moments of greatness in it but missed the overall mark.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Avenger 'debate' was like "wow that's really amateurish" vs. "stop being so critical." In other words, the debate was over the quality itself.

With BVS, there's a consistent reaction of "I don't care how good it looks; batman does not kill pepl!!" and that's the sign that something very interesting is going on.

Yeah, I get it, you purposely ignored the gigantic boatload of other complaints people had with BvS to rile them up. Pretty low effort for you though, I give it four out of ten.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Inception's issue might be Cobb's lack of a real personality. He's probably the coldest of all of Nolan's heroes. I like him, alright, but I can understand their issues with him.

Like, for all of Interstellar's faults, that movie is just a loving wave of emotions. Nolan loves to make people feel. And that's great because he's real good at it. You can argue that his movies might be inconsitant in terms of story or logic or whatever, but like the message of Interstellar, sort of...emotion transcends time and space.

The funny thing is, the complaints used to be exactly reversed, that his films were extremely logical (the phrase used was 'a big puzzle') but cold. Logic at the expense of emotion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do think that as well. The opening disaster is an all timer for me. It perfectly captures ground level horror of the scene. It being pretty much 9/11 gives it that extra punch considering how many people went loving bonkers when those Towers came down. Batman has the perfect motivation for going after Superman. I love it.

Then you have to add the Martha stuff. It's like the movie has a clear path, and says "gently caress it, lets take the bumpy dirt road" and ruins it's tires with mud.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Nolan's The Dark Knight and Interstellar are two of three films in recent memory (the third being Rise of the Planet of the Apes) that have left me feeling completely overwhelmed in the theater, either emotionally, from sheer spectacle, or just from a "holy poo poo this is so loving good" feeling. Probably a mix of all three.

Snyder very briefly touched on that kind of feeling for me in the MoS scene when Cavill's face subtly morphs into Christopher Reeves as he flies up to punch the gravity machine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's weird. Inception struck a bigger chord with me emotionally than any other action movie that I have ever seen.

I haven't seen BvS but the sound design and scores in Dark Knight, Inception, and Interstellar seriously outstanding in how well they complement their movies. I think that's a big part of why those three Nolan flicks in particular resonate ( :haw: ) so strongly with people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are a lot of different kinds of humor in the world and BvS is full of different kinds of humor, most of which tends towards the style of "ridiculous things, depicted with absolute solemnity" dry contrast humor.

When people say the movies are humorless they just mean that it lacks the trite quip humor that they've been pavlovian conditioned to laugh at.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i legit get a little chill down my spine when jor-el does his monologue as superman prepares for his first flight in man of steel. it really sells him as a symbol of hope, and the line "in time, they will join you in the sun" always makes me think of the ending to All-Star Superman, which while tonally completely different makes for an excellent complement to Man of Steel. Zimmer's score really, really makes the movie work.

I kinda hope that DC doesn't spin out their cinematic universe forever, even though they absolutely will, just because I want to see All-Star Superman in live action as the final Superman film.

Directed by Zack Snyder :getin:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Batman's reflexive little "woah, buddy" gesture as the gas wears off when he's punching Superman was def one of my favorite gags I've seen in a superhero film in a while

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mr. stefan posted:

There are a lot of different kinds of humor in the world and BvS is full of different kinds of humor, most of which tends towards the style of "ridiculous things, depicted with absolute solemnity" dry contrast humor.

When people say the movies are humorless they just mean that it lacks the trite quip humor that they've been pavlovian conditioned to laugh at.

gently caress this stupid poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

You cannot escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CelticPredator posted:

Go watch One Punch Man, you will feel better.

• Locked thread