Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pretty much anyone can. Sam got possessed by an angel and Crowley a few seasons ago.

Anyone who can be possessed by an angel without splattering, that is.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Only difference is Castiel is an Angel who is possessed by an Archangel, who then gets possessed by a demon.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
I don't even know how I know about this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pretty much anyone can. Sam got possessed by an angel and Crowley a few seasons ago.

Anyone who can be possessed by an angel without splattering, that is.

Angel possession is no biggie shakes. The only difference between it and demon possession is that demons can forceably possess, angels must have permission (including Lucifer).

The other thing is higher angels, like Lucifer, Michael, and Gabriel, will burn out a host due to their power. Only specially born types, ie Sam, Dean, John, or an odd entity like Cas, can hold them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Astroman posted:

Angel possession is no biggie shakes. The only difference between it and demon possession is that demons can forceably possess, angels must have permission (including Lucifer).

The other thing is higher angels, like Lucifer, Michael, and Gabriel, will burn out a host due to their power. Only specially born types, ie Sam, Dean, John, or an odd entity like Cas, can hold them.

I believe it was only Sam because that yellow eyed demon fed him his blood to prepare him to take Lucifer. I thought I remembered that from one of the flashback episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Astroman posted:

Also there was that whole thing where the angels were using the televangelist to recruit hosts, a lot of them were just instantly destroyed when the angel tried to possess them. Demons can possess anyone, angels can possess only willing hosts and risk instantly destroying them. The higher level angels can possess anyone a lower-level angel can, but whereas a lower-level angel can stay in that body indefinitely, the higher ones will gradually destroy it. For Lucifer and Michael, there was literally one body each that they could possess indefinitely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Angel possession seems to be a totally different thing than Demonic possession. Remember that when Angels first showed up the Demons were terrified of them and the some sight of them would fry all of them. Angels are just WAY more power than Demons so the vessels have to be tougher and better fits. The Winchesters are apparently just a really good line.

And I honestly don't think anyone knows what the gently caress Castiel is anymore. Dude's been resurrected 2 or 3 times by mysterious forces (presumably God) and at one point was vessel to all the souls of Purgatory including the Leviathons. I think Cas is just an anomaly. Which I think is part of the reason the Angels fear/hate him so much (besides all the turmoil he's caused them).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Titan posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Only difference is Castiel is an Angel who is possessed by an Archangel, who then gets possessed by a demon.

:psyduck:

It's cool man. His wife literally wrote the book on threesomes. He can handle it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I believe it was only Sam because that yellow eyed demon fed him his blood to prepare him to take Lucifer. I thought I remembered that from one of the flashback episodes.

Initially, yes, it looked like the demon blood was what made Sam special. Later we learned that the angels/cupids also made sure their parents got together, and that their mom's family had been hunters for generations. Their bloodline was basically genetically engineered to be able to host archangels. They didn't just need Sam, they also needed a vessel capable of taking Micheal, and having the vessels be brothers would be poetic.

Which does make one wonder WTF Yellow Eyes was doing with those kids and the trials. Maybe trying to infuse the potential hosts with demonic essence to make even more powerful hosts, to give Lucifer an advantage in the final battle?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Wasn't he out to make generals in the upcoming battle? I doubt many people knew what sams true purpose was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I'm remembering right Azazel was really the architect of the entire "raise Lucifer" plot. The kids were a means to an end, to make soldiers strong enough to open the gates of Hell/break the final seal. I don't know if he knew the Winchesters' greater significance in it all, but he might have. He was clearly pulling for Sam in S2 but seemed ok with that other guy (Jake?) having won and presumably killed Sam.

My understanding was always that Azazel, Lilith, Meg, Ruby, and Alastair were all in on it together all with the goal of raising Lucifer. But maybe that was just an assumption based on how it all connected, especially with the time travel episodes.

I can't remember if I assumed Raphael and Michael were in on it too in order to bring about the final conflict or if they just saw an opportunity and went with it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 19, 2016

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

If I'm remembering right Azazel was really the architect of the entire "raise Lucifer" plot. The kids were a means to an end, to make soldiers strong enough to open the gates of Hell/break the final seal. I don't know if he knew the Winchesters' greater significance in it all, but he might have. He was clearly pulling for Sam in S2 but seemed ok with that other guy (Jake?) having won and presumably killed Sam.

My understanding was always that Azazel, Lilith, Meg, Ruby, and Alastair were all in on it together all with the goal of raising Lucifer. But maybe that was just an assumption based on how it all connected, especially with the time travel episodes.

I can't remember if I assumed Raphael and Michael were in on it too in order to bring about the final conflict or if they just saw an opportunity and went with it.

If memory serves, Raphael and Michael were not overtly trying to make the apocalypse happen, but they weren't exactly trying to stop it either. They did order Castiel to raise Dean from Hell which was one of the seals wasn't it?

I thought that whole arc was that God intended the Angels to protect humanity but after he bailed and the Archangels took over, they interpreted that the apocalypse was Gods will and they had to make it happen. They just had to be sneaky about it since the other Angels didn't buy into that idea 100%

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Titan posted:

If memory serves, Raphael and Michael were not overtly trying to make the apocalypse happen, but they weren't exactly trying to stop it either. They did order Castiel to raise Dean from Hell which was one of the seals wasn't it?

The seal was Dean breaking and torturing souls in Hell. Castiel raised him so that he'd be able to be Michael's vessel.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

The seal was Dean breaking and torturing souls in Hell. Castiel raised him so that he'd be able to be Michael's vessel.

Ahhh that's right.

The whole breaking of the seals thing seemed really stupid to me. God puts Lucifer in a cage with 600 seals keeping it shut, yet only 66 of them need to be broken. Poor planning there, Chuck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Titan posted:

Ahhh that's right.

The whole breaking of the seals thing seemed really stupid to me. God puts Lucifer in a cage with 600 seals keeping it shut, yet only 66 of them need to be broken. Poor planning there, Chuck.

True, but it let the boys have a win occasionally by preventing the breaking of a particular seal, without derailing the whole plotline.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, so the next episode is directed by the Blair Witch Project guy, that'll be cool.

Also it looks like the last two episodes are going to be about the overarching arc, since, the second to last one is titled "Don't Call Me (Chuck) Shurley".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chuck? Could God Himself be coming back on the scene? :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Astroman posted:

Chuck? Could God Himself be coming back on the scene? :allears:

Well with his sis threatening to eat his favorite toy it makes sense.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I liked that episode. The show is always at its' best with a supporting cast. Even if just for one episode.

Dean deciding not to ask them for help and letting them walk away was a nice moment too.

looks like Amara is about to gently caress up all the poo poo next episode though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Dean deciding to let them try their hand at a normal life. But before that I was wondering if Sam and Dean would be like "remember the Roadhouse and how hunters had a place to call home and get info? Or how Bobby used to coordinate for a bunch? We have a secret clubhouse where a fraternity of monster hunters used to live." There's been a lot of other hunters in this season. The Irish lady. The girls with the sheriff. I thought maybe Dean had an idea to create a network of hunters which I think would have been a cool change to the show to introduce a semi-regular recurring cast. Plus I always like the big hunter team up episodes even if it usually means someone dies.

Also when I read the intro as "they meet two hunters with a personal tie to new monsters" I secretly hoped for the Earp Sisters! My silly crossover dream that will never be.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Much as I'd love to see those guys live a happy retirement, I'd also be down for a MexiHunters spinoff. :ese:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I liked Dean deciding to let them try their hand at a normal life. But before that I was wondering if Sam and Dean would be like "remember the Roadhouse and how hunters had a place to call home and get info? Or how Bobby used to coordinate for a bunch? We have a secret clubhouse where a fraternity of monster hunters used to live." There's been a lot of other hunters in this season. The Irish lady. The girls with the sheriff. I thought maybe Dean had an idea to create a network of hunters which I think would have been a cool change to the show to introduce a semi-regular recurring cast.

Yeah, it's consistently annoying how hunters don't coordinate or cooperate and the Winchesters keep their secret base full of valuable information to themselves. Rather than whatever's going on with the Darkness and Lucifer this season they should have had the major plot be the Winchesters tracking down other hunters and convincing them to pool resources and work together.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm mostly glad that in Season 11, they still managed to come up with something pretty original that the boys haven't seen before.

Also, I had trouble buying Dee from BSG as a sheriff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, it's consistently annoying how hunters don't coordinate or cooperate and the Winchesters keep their secret base full of valuable information to themselves. Rather than whatever's going on with the Darkness and Lucifer this season they should have had the major plot be the Winchesters tracking down other hunters and convincing them to pool resources and work together.

Most of the hunters we've seen are pretty dysfunctional people. Can you imagine 10 of them in a kitchen together, trying to get along? That isn't necessarily bad television, it would just mean interpersonal problems would be the main plot rather than the seasoning. :v:

10 people all stupidly keeping secrets from each other.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Most of the hunters we've seen are pretty dysfunctional people. Can you imagine 10 of them in a kitchen together, trying to get along? That isn't necessarily bad television, it would just mean interpersonal problems would be the main plot rather than the seasoning. :v:

We've already got Arrow for that.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I liked this episode well enough, but it just sort of went no where. I enjoyed the setup and the new monster threat, but then it just ended. "Oh hey, I found the nest. They are all dead, good job guys." The scene with Sam and Jessie at the Ex-Sheriff's place was completely pointless. It didn't forward the plot or even Jessie's character in anyway.

Tiggum posted:

With the exception of Rufus, Jo, Ellen, and Ash (The greatest metal band ever?) hunters have been wildly unstable and untrustworthy. I can't see how allowing random dudes access to the stuff in the bunker would be anything but disastrous. It's not as if Sam and Dean have the time to vet and train the hunters either.

Some Numbers posted:

Dee from BSG.

Ah Ha! I knew I recognized her. I meant to look her up, but got distracted.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Finally caught up.. The hand of god not working was hilarious, and made complete sense. Why would she fear god?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah, they don't have to all be working on the same stuff in the same place at the same time. Most of them would be out hunting things most of the time, many of them would have permanent residences elsewhere and just come into the bunker when they needed something.

Dragonrah posted:

It's not as if Sam and Dean have the time to vet and train the hunters either.
Well, they don't because the writers decided to have them keep fight ever bigger monsters, but they could have made tracking down, assessing and recruiting hunters the focus of the season instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Well, they don't because the writers decided to have them keep fight ever bigger monsters, but they could have made tracking down, assessing and recruiting hunters the focus of the season instead.

Doing training with inexperienced hunters would make the reasoning for MOTW episodes more sensible than the spurious "Hey Dean/Sam, we're getting nowhere with research/finding Cas/finding Amara, let's go on a hunt!" :haw:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

That would be a great excuse for not furthering the main plot, though.

Astroman posted:

Doing training with inexperienced hunters would make the reasoning for MOTW episodes more sensible than the spurious "Hey Dean/Sam, we're getting nowhere with research/finding Cas/finding Amara, let's go on a hunt!" :haw:

Yeah, this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The do still have a large number of leviathans out there somewhere. Immortal, nearly unkillable, hungry leviathans. They are disorganized and laying low, but presumably they are still eating people. Other hunters know nothing about them, not even the borax trick.

They are still at large, right? I didn't miss a throw away comment where Crowley mentioned he had demons go dismember them all or something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Facebook Aunt posted:

The do still have a large number of leviathans out there somewhere. Immortal, nearly unkillable, hungry leviathans. They are disorganized and laying low, but presumably they are still eating people. Other hunters know nothing about them, not even the borax trick.

They are still at large, right? I didn't miss a throw away comment where Crowley mentioned he had demons go dismember them all or something?

The implication is that they're not so much laying low as barely sentient, at least since their Dick got cut off at the head.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen the episode yet but the preview opening with Dean screaming "WE'RE NOT THE ONLY HUNTERS ON THE PLANET!" followed by a hunter montage is pretty much what someone needed to scream at the producers for a very long time.

ED: Hahahaa. Oh gently caress you show. "Hey look, maybe we should actually keep these two competent supporting characters around." (Oh wow, they're actually going to..) "Oh we're retiring."

Why the gently caress are they so afraid of adding supporting characters!?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Remember the Hunter Bar? Back when the show actually understood the Hunter concept/vibe? The fact they've had run ins with crazy hunters is true, but they also made some of the best episodes. It always felt like there was a whole community out there until like season 7 and then the producers world view got tiny as hell.

Stupid secrets don't have to happen, but crazy personalities clashing (Rufus and Bobby = Yet another example of this) makes it actually interesting.

PS: They should just loving drop the main plot, it is stupid as hell wasting 5 minutes every episode explaining why the plot is going nowhere (literally), then book ending every episode with 5 minutes of explaining how they'll totally progress the plot next week, repeat. I mean man. "Oh poo poo our episodes are running 11 minutes under let's have them lament the fact that they aren't even active players in their own plot."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They can't afford reoccurring characters. After all these seasons, the money goes to Jensen and Jared.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

PS: They should just loving drop the main plot, it is stupid as hell wasting 5 minutes every episode explaining why the plot is going nowhere (literally), then book ending every episode with 5 minutes of explaining how they'll totally progress the plot next week, repeat. I mean man. "Oh poo poo our episodes are running 11 minutes under let's have them lament the fact that they aren't even active players in their own plot."

When the villain power creep has reached "sister of God" I don't know how they reconcile that with the villain occasionally showing up around the midwestern US and spending most of its time "gone to ground" with 99% of the world not even knowing it loving exists.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Remember the Hunter Bar? Back when the show actually understood the Hunter concept/vibe? The fact they've had run ins with crazy hunters is true, but they also made some of the best episodes. It always felt like there was a whole community out there until like season 7 and then the producers world view got tiny as hell.

The hunter bar appeared in and was destroyed in season 2.

The big reason the hunter community got smaller was Bobby's death as he was the person who helped organize everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bobkatt013 posted:

The big reason the hunter community got smaller was Bobby's death as he was the person who helped organize everything.

True. The increased number of demons has probably taken out a lot of hunters off screen as well. Most hunters didn't get a demon killing blade.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Garth stepped in to replace him though, until he got turned into a werewolf. Then I guess no one bothered taking the job after him.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Garth stepped in to replace him though, until he got turned into a werewolf. Then I guess no one bothered taking the job after him.

Part of me wishes instead of killing Charlie she became the new coordinator of the hunters. She had the chops for it and wasn't she talking about wanting less adventure at the time as well?

She would have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Supernatural, we have the best supporting characters and then they die.