Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'll probably end up watching it, but I don't know how the show will carry on without Ben Mendelsohn. Not just his character, but his acting carried that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

I'll probably end up watching it, but I don't know how the show will carry on without Ben Mendelsohn. Not just his character, but his acting carried that show.

Did you watch the trailer? Danny will still be around, in a sense... he'll appear to John just like Sarah did to Danny. Not as prominent as in S1 of course, but a little Danny is better than no Danny.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The recent Macbeth adaptation with Michael Fassbender is on Amazon Prime and drat is it good. I guess it didn't do well commercially, but it makes me want a straight-up adaptation of Titus Andronicus done in the same manner.

This was a really excellent movie.

I don't know if it ever came up but Refn's Neon Demon is apparently going to Amazon sometime in June.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
goddamn Patton Oswalt's wife dying the same day his netflix special came out is going to make that pretty hard to watch for me

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Thanks to whomever recommended Eraser a billion pages back. It's always tons of fun to hear Ahnold deliver lines. "Someone tald me that impwavsiashun was the key ta feld verk. i tink is vas yooah."

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Accident Underwater posted:

This was a really excellent movie.

I don't know if it ever came up but Refn's Neon Demon is apparently going to Amazon sometime in June.

Is it skipping the theaters, or gonna be one of those dual releases?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
TCM and Criterion are launching their own streaming services, FilmStruck. Since it's gonna be "the exclusive streaming home for [...] the Criterion Collection," it sounds like Hulu's gonna lose Criterion's stuff

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have mixed feelings about this. At some point content is going to be spread over so many services that having a good selection will mean paying about as much as cable anyway.

Still will probably subscribe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just hope there's going to be an app for it on the PS4. This sounds like my ultimate streaming service, combining TCM and Criterion is amazing, but its going to be really inconvenient if I can't stream it on PS4.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I just hope there's going to be an app for it on the PS4. This sounds like my ultimate streaming service, combining TCM and Criterion is amazing, but its going to be really inconvenient if I can't stream it on PS4.

WatchTCM never got apps on anything so I'm not holding my breath.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Criterion's coming from Hulu though, one of the more accessible streaming services out there, so I'm hoping they would have a focus on making sure this becomes as widely available as possible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Hulu free option is what keeps it viable, IMO.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
ARGH this is so stupid. I just canceled Netflix since I couldn't justify having two streaming services at once, and now Criterion is ditching Hulu!?

I think for me this might mean constantly jumping around between providers. I still want to go back to HBO Now at some point, but I typically only watch one or two shows at once so having multiple services at the same time doesn't make sense.

I don't see how this model is sustainable. Setting up the streaming infrastructure and creating a suite of apps for every platform is not a trivial amount of work. HBO Now's app is still garbage from what I understand.

Hulu seemed like they already solved the tiered-content problem - Showtime is an optional upgrade. I would much rather have a handful of streaming services that are actually competent at the technical side of things and let certain content be optional add-ons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would just pick a service that has a lot of stuff you like, and wait. The problem with all of these streaming services is the problem with Cable TV now - there's not enough volume to actually justify the underlying costs. No one wants to watch 8 hours of Ice Road Truckers, or if they do they don't want to pay $10/mo for it and nothing else.

Eventually these services will either go out of business or will be bundled in some way that you can get everything at one location.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've been dying for a standalone version of TCM, hopefully it's not watered down. FilmStruck is a terrible name, though.

I'll probably drop Hulu at this point, especially if I can scrounge up a Comedy Central login.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

david_a posted:

ARGH this is so stupid. I just canceled Netflix since I couldn't justify having two streaming services at once, and now Criterion is ditching Hulu!?

I think for me this might mean constantly jumping around between providers. I still want to go back to HBO Now at some point, but I typically only watch one or two shows at once so having multiple services at the same time doesn't make sense.

I don't see how this model is sustainable. Setting up the streaming infrastructure and creating a suite of apps for every platform is not a trivial amount of work. HBO Now's app is still garbage from what I understand.

Hulu seemed like they already solved the tiered-content problem - Showtime is an optional upgrade. I would much rather have a handful of streaming services that are actually competent at the technical side of things and let certain content be optional add-ons.

Would saying that password sharing is the way to go with these services be considered :filez: ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

wa27 posted:

Criterion's release specifically mentions "internet-connected television platforms"

quote:

So when they asked us to team up with them to launch FilmStruck, a new subscription streaming service designed for people who love independent, art-house, and international cinema, we were honored and thrilled. Combining Turner’s programming experience with Criterion’s library of films and supplemental content made all the sense in the world.

FilmStruck will be launching this fall on desktop and mobile devices, and internet-connected television platforms. A service built from the start with nothing but movies in mind, it will feature films from many major studios and independent distributors alongside a broad and constantly rotating selection of Criterion films, complete with the commentaries and rich supplemental content that Criterion viewers have come to expect. Carefully curated and always changing, it should be a cinema lover’s dream.

FilmStruck subscribers will also be eligible to sign up for the Criterion Channel, a premium service that will be all Criterion’s own. Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way. After thirty years of focusing exclusively on one film or cycle of films at a time, we will now be able to feature a steady stream of original content that runs across filmographies, genres, time periods, and themes. We’ll reach outside our library to include films from major studios and independent rights holders. We’ll tap into our community of filmmakers and experts to act as guest curators and highlight archival discoveries not available on disc or anywhere else. It won’t replace our Blu-rays, but it will definitely add a new dimension to the Criterion experience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Haha what even is #Horror? It's hosed up, a slasher movie involving 12-year-old girls with rich parents at a sleepover who are mean to each other.

Didn't really like the ending where the "message" of the movie was how the images from the murders millions of views and likes and no one who saw them did anything. What? That wasn't portrayed anywhere in the movie, which was completely isolated in the house.

Edit: I should also mention that it takes over an hour from the opening murder to anything else remotely evil happening. It still builds this sense of foreboding, but nothing happens until like the last twenty minutes.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 26, 2016

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
That movie was a big :psyduck: for me

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not sure what it is about Stephen Dorff.. I really hate his face, to the point that I just kind of avoided movies with him in them. Maybe I was jealous of him because he was Alicia Silverstone's fake boyfriend in the Cryin' music video or something.

The thing is, he's really good, and he's been in tons of movies that I absolutely love.. Cecil B Demented and Botched, for instance! :swoon: So I got over whatever hangup I had with wanting to punch him in his smug face and now enjoy watching him like a normal human being.

This brings us to American Hero which showed up recently on Netflix and stars him and Eddie Griffin, as two wastrels cruising the streets of New Orleans getting drunk and stoned and generally being terrible examples of human beings - with a "Birdman"-esque twist.

edit: I almost forgot, Band of Robbers is also pretty great, it's like Super Troopers written by Mark Twain. Now I want a bumper sticker that says, "my other car is jesusfishing"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 27, 2016

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Really hope that the Criterion Collection gets English subtitles on that WatchTCM thing. Here's a link to the list of stuff being added to, and leaving Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

edit: I almost forgot, Band of Robbers is also pretty great, it's like Super Troopers written by Mark Twain. Now I want a bumper sticker that says, "my other car is jesusfishing"

This was surprisingly good for me too. Not even sure why it got such a low-key release, as it stars Hannibal Burress.

Watched Moonwalkers which was just absolutely frustrating. Instead of being satisfied with making a good, goofy road comedy with Rupert Grint managing Robert Sheehan faking being Stanley Kubrick, for some ungodly reason they had to crowbar in "Also, Ron Perlman is here and he has PTSD which makes the movie a tonal trainwreck".

I mean, I love Ron Perlman, but he should not have been in this.

e: It does have a really fantastic opening title sequence though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BJPaskoff posted:

Haha what even is #Horror? It's hosed up, a slasher movie involving 12-year-old girls with rich parents at a sleepover who are mean to each other.

Didn't really like the ending where the "message" of the movie was how the images from the murders millions of views and likes and no one who saw them did anything. What? That wasn't portrayed anywhere in the movie, which was completely isolated in the house.

Edit: I should also mention that it takes over an hour from the opening murder to anything else remotely evil happening. It still builds this sense of foreboding, but nothing happens until like the last twenty minutes.

You probably shouldn't tag that second thing, because holy gently caress on a stick. That is impressively bad pacing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You probably shouldn't tag that second thing, because holy gently caress on a stick. That is impressively bad pacing.
It's marketed toward tweens/teens whose only major introduction to horror is paranormal entity and Ghost Hunters shows where the entire thing is nothing but a slow buildup to nothing happening.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
But what the gently caress kind of slasher movie uses that kind of pacing? That defeats the entire purpose of a cheap slasher.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Like I said, the kind that's hoping for a tween/teen audience which doesn't actually know any better

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A fair amount of old HBO stuff is hitting Amazon Prime in May, including the entire run of Mr Show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of HBO, I signed up for Now and wouldn't mind starting a new series from my bucket list.

Some I haven't seen.

Six feet Under
Carnivale
Treme
Rome
Oz
generation Kill
True Blood (actually I watched some of this and thought it was dumb years ago so maybe not)
Curb
Veep
Second season of Deadwood

probably some others...I've seen most of the big ones. Suggestions?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know what your sense of humor is like, but if curb clicks with you, you'll probably really love it. IMO it's really consistent all the way through up until maybe the last season. I couldn't get enough of it, and I never really cared about Seinfeld either.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 1, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rome was about as solid as I remember on a recent rewatch, that's worth the time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

pizza valentine posted:

I don't know what your sense of humor is like, but if curb clicks with you, you'll probably really love it. IMO it's really consistent all the way through up until maybe the last season. I couldn't get enough of it, and I never really cared about Seinfeld either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jw6mKmozjM
HO-HO!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

Speaking of HBO, I signed up for Now and wouldn't mind starting a new series from my bucket list.

Try Six Feet Under. The acting is top notch and it's an interesting concept.
Oz is pretty dated but the first season is good. If you want a less 90s version, check out Wentworth on Netflix. It's an Australian show about a woman's prison.
I liked season 1-3 of Treme but I also worked in New Orleans shortly after Katrina so YMMV.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

NESguerilla posted:

Some I haven't seen.

Six feet Under
Carnivale
Treme
Rome
Oz
generation Kill
True Blood (actually I watched some of this and thought it was dumb years ago so maybe not)
Curb
Veep

start with curb, literally the best show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched the first couple of episodes of curb. Definitely super funny. Does it eventually stop looking like it was made with a camcorder though?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
LARRY SANDERS :siren:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NESguerilla posted:

Watched the first couple of episodes of curb. Definitely super funny. Does it eventually stop looking like it was made with a camcorder though?

It never stops being shot handheld, but s2 onward has a bit higher production values.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

Some I haven't seen.

Six feet Under
Carnivale
Treme
Rome
Oz
generation Kill
Curb
Veep

Generation Kill was good but really ... bleak. It has some really goddamned funny moments but it paints such a depressing picture overall. That said, the reporter's agenda plays a big part of that. I know one of the guys portrayed in it, and while it paints a great picture of him personally, he has said it differs from the actual events enough that it should basically be treated as a work of fiction.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

NESguerilla posted:

Some I haven't seen.

Six feet Under
Carnivale
Treme
Rome
Oz
generation Kill
Curb
Veep

Six Feet Under and Carnivale are masterpieces, in my opinion. Oz is also great but drops off badly, I forget where. Just stop watching when it starts to feel dumb I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrible Horse posted:

Six Feet Under and Carnivale are masterpieces, in my opinion. Oz is also great but drops off badly, I forget where. Just stop watching when it starts to feel dumb I guess.

Midway through the first season? Terrible advice. Oz is very silly, you just have to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I love SFU, but gently caress almost anything to do with Lisa and gently caress season 4.

NESguerilla posted:

Some I haven't seen.

Six feet Under
Carnivale
Treme
Rome
Oz
generation Kill
Curb

Everything left I consider must viewing. Oz is the weakest in quality and either Carnival or Treme are the most underrated. I wished I could watch all of this for the first time.

Also as a Marine, Generation Kill is spot on in capturing Marine culture.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2016