Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kurieg posted:

half-human sub-races

Sometimes this hobby gets awfully close to some really nasty business...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
..not what I meant. Sub-Races in the sense of "Wood elf as a subset of elf". Half-Human in the sense that Humans can breed with anything in this crazy tolkien world.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

404notfound posted:

Where... where's her elbow??

Wait that isn't a mechanical gnome sized arm or something like that? It has actual fingers.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Sage Genesis posted:

Sometimes this hobby gets awfully close to some really nasty business...

I had to tweak my plans for RPing a haughty sun elf in the Underdark after every Drow insult I came up with made me wince. I know some people just go for it but that's not how I roll (role?)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kaysette posted:

There's a really cartoony picture of some mondrons in the 5e phb that always makes me chuckle. It's so out of place compared to all the other art.

There's actual good mondron art in the dmg for one of the chapter headings.

Obviously there's hot mondron action in the mm, too.

In summary, mondrons own. Good day. *checks pocket watch then tips top hat with gears and ribbon hot glued on while clutching a cane made from copper pipe and a gear shift knob*
What's a mondron?

Scyther posted:

Is she coming up the stairs or coming down?
Those are clearly hurdles.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

I had to tweak my plans for RPing a haughty sun elf in the Underdark after every Drow insult I came up with made me wince. I know some people just go for it but that's not how I roll (role?)

What's wrong with calling them googly-eyed spiderfuckers? :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kaysette posted:

You're not racist! Some of your best friends are fallen kin-slaying spider-huggers!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Zereth posted:

What's a mondron?

gently caress, modrons.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zereth posted:

What's a mondron?

A monster made up of rectangles white, blue, red, and yellow separated by bold black lines.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kaysette posted:

Making constant reference to their inexplicable affiliation with spiders and love of backstabbing would probably help a lot with the obvious ones.

EDIT: I like the term, "Drider-in-waiting."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kaysette posted:

Uhh... thats not a good sign...

Like theres a limitless supply of reasons to talk poo poo about the evil bug elves without getting near anything that should make you feel bad about real life?

Plus they are basically superior in every way to surface elves so its not like you are actually talking down to them. :smug:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can't even make a Trip Fighter in 5e!

In 5e it's called "shove" instead of "trip" and you can get up to some shenanigans with it using melee weapon-type feats, depending on the liberality of your DM's interpretation of if you can do it with a weapon.

I don't mean this to sound like an rear end, and not specifically replying to gradenko; it's more just a general-info reply, for those unfamiliar.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arivia posted:

If you want to run an Eberron game, 4e is genuinely perfect for you. Keith Baker said as much himself. 4e specifically emphasizes big set piece fights and some pulp action like Eberron wants, and gets rid of a lot of 3e stuff in the core rules that Eberron did too (like monsters that are always one set alignment.)

Yeah, literally the only thing that 4e misses out on with Eberron is how the Artificer and the casual proliferation of magic items sort of thematically took advantage of how much more magic items were standardized in 3e over 2e.

Even that wouldn't have been nearly as much of a gap if 4e hadn't come out the gates with magic items that were mostly boring as poo poo.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Uhh... thats not a good sign...

Like theres a limitless supply of reasons to talk poo poo about the evil bug elves without getting near anything that should make you feel bad about real life?

Plus they are basically superior in every way to surface elves so its not like you are actually talking down to them. :smug:

They're a race that is, from an outsider's perspective, entirely defined by the fact that they are evil. So evil in fact that their skin was stained pitch black.

Yeah, I wonder why anyone would think to make in character insults based around that fact? And then, in the same thought, acknowledge that the concept is flawed and problematic. No, it must mean they're racist.

The big issue is the whole concept of the Drow has really hosed up racial connotations. And in universe it's entirely sensible/'justified' to call out Drow and Duergar's melanin content because it is a God-inflicted punishment from their ancestor's crimes and lets just put this whole topic away because it is a whole clusterfuck of exposing the roots of Western fantasy codification.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PJOmega posted:

They're a race that is, from an outsider's perspective, entirely defined by the fact that they are evil. So evil in fact that their skin was stained pitch black.

Yeah, I wonder why anyone would think to make in character insults based around that fact? And then, in the same thought, acknowledge that the concept is flawed and problematic. No, it must mean they're racist.

The big issue is the whole concept of the Drow has really hosed up racial connotations. And in universe it's entirely sensible/'justified' to call out Drow and Duergar's melanin content because it is a God-inflicted punishment from their ancestor's crimes and lets just put this whole topic away because it is a whole clusterfuck of exposing the roots of Western fantasy codification.

This is why I like Eberron drow, where there's no curse because of racial evil or whatever, they're just elves who have dark skin and somewhat different features because of different biological descendancy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Way to post-hoc your racist stuff into a game.

FWIW their skin didnt change because they became evil, and there are groups of Drow that are not evil and worship other gods. Its just that the antagonists that most people use are always Llolth-worshiping CE spider people.

Use more of this if you want a different flavor for the Drow:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee

And play up the older history:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drow

quote:

Drow were once known as Dark Elves (Ssri-tel-quessir in old Elven) and their nations were Ilythiir and Miyeritar. Ilythiir was one of the most powerful,[11] but, circa -30000 DR, their goddess Araushnee betrayed her fellow Seldarine and, along with Ghaunadaur, Vhaeraun, Malar, and others, they tried to invade Arvandor. Afterwards, Araushnee was cast into the Abyss, where she took the name Lolth.

During the First Crown War, the Ilythiiri made several unsuccessful attempts to conquer Faerûn. They conquered southern Faerûn and north up to Shantel Othreier, and perhaps only the intervention of Corellon Larethian stopped them. At the time of the Fourth Crown War, they turned to Lolth and the other outcast Seldarine in the Demonweb Pits, who gave them powerful magic and fiendish allies, as a reward for allegiance. One of these was a balor named Wendonai. He bred with the Ilythiiri, giving them a taint.[citation needed] The taint of Wendonai allowed him to hear the thoughts of the tainted. It was only the Ilythiiri who carried it, and it influenced their cruel and arrogant behavior (even though they still had the ability to choose a non-evil lifestyle, as proven by the Ilythiiri who followed Eilistraee, or by Liriel Baenre, Drizzt Do'Urden, and others.[citation needed]

After many malicious acts and abuses of elven magic, Corellon Larethian banished the dhaerow (traitors) whom Lolth used to be responsible for (and most of whom still secretly worshiped her) to the Underdark. A horrid magical storm known as the Dark Disaster laid waste to Miyeritar. History (as written by the victors of the Third Crown War) said that Miyeritar's attempts to stop Aryvandaar's armies caused the Dark Disaster. In truth, the fell magic that produced it was called forth by Vyshaantar high mages and proceeded unopposed because a Vyshaantar assassination campaign had destroyed many of Miyeritar's high mages in the months before. The Dark Disaster hung over Miyeritar like a funeral shroud for months, and when its cloying mists and bloody rains finally dissipated, the once-proud forest had been reduced to a blasted, poisonous wasteland. Although many of Miyeritar's original inhabitants had fled long before the killing storm hit, innumerable innocents had died horribly

Its already got a nice built-in narrative about how innocent Drow were slaughtered wholesale because the Seldarine didnt want to slow down and figure out who was who.

If youre one of the FR-haters then change all the names and add some robots.

Roadie posted:

This is why I like Eberron drow, where there's no curse because of racial evil or whatever
Thats only a thing for people that want lazy writing and no-effort games. Those people should just use owlbears and trolls for the whole game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Way to post-hoc your racist stuff into a game.

FWIW their skin didnt change because they became evil, and there are groups of Drow that are not evil and worship other gods. Its just that the antagonists that most people use are always Llolth-worshiping CE spider people.

If that's true that's literally the first time I've seen it, and if so yay. Have only ever had them described in the "evil and punished with their skin and sunlight weakness." And yay, one less really problematic piece of lore to look at.

That still raises the "every public group I've been near explains drow like that" issue, but there's reasons I only play with friends anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

In 5e it's called "shove" instead of "trip" and you can get up to some shenanigans with it using melee weapon-type feats, depending on the liberality of your DM's interpretation of if you can do it with a weapon.

I don't mean this to sound like an rear end, and not specifically replying to gradenko; it's more just a general-info reply, for those unfamiliar.

This is all in good-natured back-and-forth, but while Shove does exist as an action, you can't specialize in it. It's an opposed STR check, so you just max your STR to 20 and ... you're done. A Battle Master Fighter can use a Trip Attack, but that just converts it into a STR saving throw, which again you can't specifically get better at because it's just down to maximizing your STR. And you can't even Trip Attack all the time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For what it's worth, shove is actually very important because it's an easy way to gain advantage, and the way non-spellcasters pump out their damage is to gain advantage then activate GWF or whatever the -5 attack +10 damage feat is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Roadie posted:

This is why I like Eberron drow, where there's no curse because of racial evil or whatever, they're just elves who have dark skin and somewhat different features because of different biological descendancy.

I'd play an Eberron Drow stuck in Forgotten Realm due to a random portal. Badass elf from the jungle showing what's what.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is all in good-natured back-and-forth, but while Shove does exist as an action, you can't specialize in it. It's an opposed STR check, so you just max your STR to 20 and ... you're done. A Battle Master Fighter can use a Trip Attack, but that just converts it into a STR saving throw, which again you can't specifically get better at because it's just down to maximizing your STR. And you can't even Trip Attack all the time.

Actually Shove, like Grapple, is a Strength Athletics check. So the best at it are Bards and Rogues, both can get Expertise in Athletics and be better than pretty much any class except maybe the Barbarian at both actions. The bard can also use Inspiration Dice, or spells, to improve their odds and the Rogue at 11th level cannot roll below a 10 on the d20 roll for proficient skills which means 10+Str+2xProficiency minimum which can fairly easily reach levels that almost nothing in the game could match even with a natural 20.

The Barbarian is probably the third best grappler, though anyone with the right spells cast on them can meet a less than 20th level Barbarian at both checks, simply because they can get Advantage on Strength checks when raging, At 18th level the Barbarian does get an ability that makes it so they cannot get a result below their Strength score on Strength checks, but that just means they can't get lower than a 20, or 24 at 20th level. Which is not as good as what the Rogue gets at 11th level. Though 24 Strength does give the Barbarian a slight edge on pure strength, but not enough to compare to Expertise.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

For what it's worth, shove is actually very important because it's an easy way to gain advantage, and the way non-spellcasters pump out their damage is to gain advantage then activate GWF or whatever the -5 attack +10 damage feat is.

For whatever reason, the big :fuckoff: two-handers got weirdly over-supported in 5e, in terms of weapon loadout options.
And interestingly Monks get large chunks of Polearm Master and that other feat (my book is over there :effort:) as class features.

I think what I'm getting at is that feats are weird in 5e; I wouldn't mind seeing more, if they make different weapons more interesting/viable.

and :lol: Medium Armor Master :allears:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Actually Shove, like Grapple, is a Strength Athletics check. So the best at it are Bards and Rogues,
[...]
The Barbarian is probably the third best

And Monks are bad at grappling, because Ability Scores are stupid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd play an Eberron Drow stuck in Forgotten Realm due to a random portal. Badass elf from the jungle showing what's what.

You can do that without the Eberron part even, just play a wild elf. Badass barbarian elf from the jungle showing everyone up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

For whatever reason, the big :fuckoff: two-handers got weirdly over-supported in 5e, in terms of weapon loadout options.
And interestingly Monks get large chunks of Polearm Master and that other feat (my book is over there :effort:) as class features.

I think what I'm getting at is that feats are weird in 5e; I wouldn't mind seeing more, if they make different weapons more interesting/viable.

and :lol: Medium Armor Master :allears:

With feats, it's extremely hard to justify not using a polearm.

Without feats, :laffo: why the gently caress are you doing a thing that isn't spellcasting? At least with feats you can stack up enough damage to look like you're contributing.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So what you guys are saying is I should make 2 warforged rogues that go around shoving people and yelling "we are here to protect you!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Machai posted:

So what you guys are saying is I should make 2 warforged rogues that go around shoving people and yelling "we are here to protect you!"
that is exactly what we are saying

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

enworld posted:

I can't see carrying a great axe and a halberd RP wise. For tunnels and other in close fighting, a short sword makes more sense. I don't see someone switching from a halberd to a great axe and back to the halberd in the middle of a battle. I can buy wizards slinging fireballs at dragons, but weapon caddying mid battle between ostensibly similar weapons breaks suspension of disbelief.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

A while back, there was a "Make the Best Martial Character Possible" thread over on Giant in the Playground.

Pretty much all of the submissions were based on a strategy of shoving the opponent over, using an immovable rod to pin him/her/it in place, and wailing on the pinned target until dead.

Smell the tactics!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Character died, need a new one, PHB only, priority is fun and being good, but slightly fun over good

was thinking Wild Mage Sorc but open to suggestions

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

bowmore posted:

Character died, need a new one, PHB only, priority is fun and being good, but slightly fun over good

Any variety of bard. Sorcs always seem boring to me. I want to try the storm one from SCAG but obviously that's not an option for you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bards can be built to be good at literally anything, so you can figure out what's fun for you and get good at that

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

A while back, there was a "Make the Best Martial Character Possible" thread over on Giant in the Playground.

Pretty much all of the submissions were based on a strategy of shoving the opponent over, using an immovable rod to pin him/her/it in place, and wailing on the pinned target until dead.

Smell the tactics!

Truly the heights of epic fantasy combat adventure, the likes of which Elric or Drizzt or the knights of yore would weep to gaze on the glory of! When I think of badass combat, I think of just shoving a dude over and while he is stuck on his back like a turtle, shanking him repeatedly. Which I guess is historically valid and therefore verisimilitudinous in the end and WotC was right all along ...

:dawkins101:

bowmore posted:

Yeah a Sorceror or a Bard are both solid choices.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Don't tell any of these people that Half-Swording exists, they might scream bloody murder.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

P.d0t posted:

You should know this already.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Earspoon supremacy is only right and proper.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Roadie posted:

Earspoon supremacy is only right and proper.

:black101:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was doing some analysis of 5e's encounter building rules, and found some interesting things.

I started with the basic question of: If creating an encounter composed of 4 monsters to balance action economy against 4 players, and keeping the encounter to a Medium difficulty, what CR monsters should be used?

So first, I extracted the Adjusted XP Total of four monsters of any given CR, keeping in mind that the formula is [XP value * 4 number of monsters * 2 Encounter Multiplier for a group of four]

Then, I cooked up a chart of the Medium and Hard Encounter thresholds for a group of 4 PCs, and picked out the CR which would fall within a Medium encounter

There's an oddity in the pattern that I marked in yellow where the thresholds are too tight for the result I'm trying to produce:

1. A party of four level 4 characters has a Medium XP threshold of 1000 XP
2. Four CR 1/2 monsters has an Adjusted XP Total of 800 XP, which is too low to hit the Medium XP Threshold, so it's technically an Easy encounter
3. However, I cannot increase it to four CR 1 monsters, because those have an Adjusted XP Total of 1600 XP, which would actually make it a Hard encounter

And the pattern repeats over player levels 5 and 6 as well

There's another thing that happens at player levels 16, 17, 18 and 20, where the thresholds are wide enough to span two CRs instead of just one.

Anyway, that does give us a reference for which line of the Monster Quick Stats Table in the DMG should be compared against the baseline stats of a player-character for any given level.

This gives us the following player attack vs monster AC, and monster attack vs player AC tables:

And I suppose that's sort of what the game means when it says "you don't need magic items (except for when you do)" because monster attack bonuses never go high enough to severely outclass a Fighter's AC, and monster AC keeps so low as to allow players to hit oftener as they gain levels.

The mistake I did in my previous analyses was assuming that, similar to 3.x, monster CR was 1-to-1 proportional to player level.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Gradenko, at this point I think you have put 10x the amount of thought into the balance of 5e than the designers have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

captain innocuous posted:

Gradenko, at this point I think you have put 10x the amount of thought into the balance of 5e than the designers have.

I appreciate it because his analysis is interesting for me to read.