Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Woops, must have not been paying attention to later scenes. From the context, "Come with me now and you'll live," etc i was certain she got stabbed.

And yeah, Martha, if you hate fully stocked store shelves and reliable utilities, Moscow is gonna be great for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Martha continues to own

atomic cosmonaut
Nov 28, 2005
I’ll be alone. Just the way it was before I met you.
:smith:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Liz gutpunching Martha was a better moment than any possible Martha death.

"Are you sleeping with my husband!?"

"Bitch plz." *WALLOP*

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I'm assuming Martha is going to be Anton Baklanov's new pleasure chick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recognised the Taft Bridge despite never having seen it in person.

Why is it that longtime area resident Stanley Beeman did not?

Immersion ruined. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

Why is it that longtime area resident Stanley Beeman did not?

Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Stan wasn't a longtime area resident - they've been there a few years now, but beforehand he was 'on assignment' doing intel/undercover work on white supremacist groups in the midwest.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Stan wasn't a longtime area resident - they've been there a few years now, but beforehand he was 'on assignment' doing intel/undercover work on white supremacist groups in the midwest.

Yeah, they moved there in S1E1. And with how much he works, I'm not surprised.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Platystemon posted:

That wasn't it, or at least, the raging waters below it weren't it. I'm guessing somewhere upstate NY or CT.

Martha should have died this episode. It is just getting cruel at this point, how they are stretching it out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The two park scenes were shot in New York parks. The show is mainly shot in NY anyways.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My thinking with the reminder of the rat in the freezer was that she was going to be some sort of unknowing, unwilling virus mule.

I didn't read any other spoilers because I don't want to see next week's preview.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gabriel and Phillips reaction shot to the rat were both gold

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please give Alison Wright at least a best supporting actress nomination this year, because goddamn is she heartbreaking as Martha.

The bottle in the freezer totally needed a 'Dead rat - DO NOT EAT' sticker on it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please give Alison Wright at least a best supporting actress nomination this year, because goddamn is she heartbreaking as Martha.

The bottle in the freezer totally needed a 'Dead rat - DO NOT EAT' sticker on it.

Also one of these:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The two park scenes were shot in New York parks. The show is mainly shot in NY anyways.

The podcast said it was at croton gorge park in NY and that they had to digitally remove the big dam there for the scene.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Sometimes I'm going about my day and I think about Martha and I get sad. :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

JayMax posted:

Sometimes I'm going about my day and I think about Martha and I get sad. :smith:

Regardless of what becomes of Martha, feel better in the knowledge that Elizabeth is about 8 years away from being utterly owned on every conceivable level of existence. Oh please oh please let this show either last long enough for that to be the season-long arc, or have a timejump in the final season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Phillip was such a dick to Martha, should have lied and said he'd be on another plane next week etc.

Way to make her have nothing else left to lose.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

drunkill posted:

Phillip was such a dick to Martha, should have lied and said he'd be on another plane next week etc.

I don't think there's a non dick way for him to handle that, at least by telling her the truth she can believe that he did care for her, and maybe she can move on quicker than the utterly bitter aftermath of being lied to and feeling used n completely unloved. Unless she just dies

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

drunkill posted:

See, I took that scene to show that he did care for her. He has been lying to her forever, but this one last time he couldn't bring himself to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Poor Martha's completely hosed either way, the only option that doesn't suck enormously would be escaping to a neutral country that won't send her rear end back.

Philip telling the truth is probably the best he could do at this point. It's harsh but at least no more bullshit.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I'm totally done with the Martha storyline. There was nothing else going on in the last episode than her, and it went nowhere. Somebody give her the suitcase treatment already.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

pigdog posted:

I'm totally done with the Martha storyline. There was nothing else going on in the last episode than her, and it went nowhere. Somebody give her the suitcase treatment already.

She is one of the most boring characters in any drama I've watched and the amount of time they've spent on her is baffling

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think the Martha story is great and I'd much rather have her than Ninas Siberian Seduction Adventure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zVxTeflon posted:

I think the Martha story is great and I'd much rather have her than Ninas Siberian Seduction Adventure

They are both terrible.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pigdog posted:

I liked Martha until the pacing of this season turned glacial and she became the focal point for multiple episodes, it's just way too much and it feels like they're using her to put everything else on hold.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

savinhill posted:

I liked Martha until the pacing of this season turned glacial and she became the focal point for multiple episodes, it's just way too much and it feels like they're using her to put everything else on hold.

I think it was mentioned in another season, that they do things with Stan to distract him from searching for Phil and Liz. Because if it was just Stan searching for them, he'd be rather barney fife after multiple seasons of not getting results.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm kind of happy with this season because it's culminating in the end of the two worst plots to drag on in this show.

Now if only we could end the pastor subplot, too....

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Colonial Air Force posted:

I kinda like the Pastor Tim plot, I mean the guy skeeves me out and I definitely dislike him, but I like watching Phillip and Elizabeth try to deal with a problem that doesn't have an easy answer like that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's certainly nowhere near as bad as Nina or Martha. Maybe it feels like it's dragging on because the other two have prevents that one from going anywhere recently.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

poo poo, I forgot this was a thing. Hopefully Paige has already killed the pastor

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Somewhere, Kimmy is sitting stoned and alone.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I expect Martha will die. Between Nina's and Martha's executions, Oleg will flip and Stan the Man will take on a 'wizard' like quality to his colleagues and superiors.

Nina bored me but I liked Martha. Poor, poor Martha. :smith:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Don't be absurd. Show's going to end one of three ways:

1. Martha on a beach chair in the bahamas, accepting a pina colada from a man wearing nothing but swimming trunks and an ushanka.

2. Martha combing through the rubble of a radioactive Moscow shouting for Clark.

3. Martha looks out on a snow covered Eastern European cityscape from a darkened hotel room. She is holding a phone to her ear in one hand and holding a lit cigarette in the other.

"Yes Director Beeman, Mikhael has been very receptive to our propositions. He anticipates the democratic reforms will bear fruit by 1990 at the latest. And send Mr. Gaad my fondest regards."

Martha takes one last drag of her cigarette before stubbing it out and returning to her bed, already occupied by a man with thinning hair.

Martha stares deeply into his sullen eyes.

"They bought it, just like you said they would. When the reforms go through you'll be in the perfect position to steer your country's newly-birthed political machine to the benefit of us both. Who knows, maybe you'll even rise to be the new Premier?"

A smile creeps across his otherwise impassive face. He relaxes just a little bit.

Martha leans over and rests her head on her companions shoulder.

"Mr Putin, do you mind if... if just for tonight I call you... Mischa?"

Cut to black

Moskau plays over the end credits.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Alris posted:

"Mr Putin, do you mind if... if just for tonight I call you... Mischa?"

Cut to black

Excellent. :golfclap:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there! Just thought I'd come in here to ask a quick (no doubt stupid) question, regarding region-coding. As an Australian using a region 4 DVD player (both PC and TV), would it be possible/OK to purchase and play a R2 copy of The Americans from the UK? (Without needing to change the region on my PC's DVD player, at least) Since I've been waiting like, over a year now after seeing the first season, to see if the second season will finally be released here - however it hasn't and I'm growing impatient, especially as you're all watching season four now (which I've so far managed to avert my eyes, from your spoilers while scrolling down to 'reply', thankfully).

Naturally I've looked on Google, however it doesn't really give me much in the way of a straight answer. I just want to be able to watch the next season (read: two seasons ago), without needing to resort to :filez: or spending ages ripping ISOs off another region's DVDs, is all.
Thanks for any and all information! Please tell me this show keeps getting better... :ohdear:

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
No. Can't you just buy it on iTunes or some poo poo? Just pay for some version and then torrent it with a clear heart.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I read the AV Club's review of this show, and the guy is always talking about what an amazing job the lady playing Martha does. It makes me feel bad for getting so very bored with the Martha Martha Martha crap of this season.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Martha Martha Martha

Requesting new thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most but not all R2 discs are dual encoded for R4. It's just easier as they're both PAL territories so they can just use the exact same presses for both countries. You'd need to find someone who has a copy to check the packaging and/or put the disc into their computer and use one of those rippers that tell you what regions it's encoded for.

And I love the Martha storyline, its a realistic and tragic tale of someone getting caught up in treason and having nowhere to turn. I'd rather them take their time over angles like this than just wrap it all up in a week.

• Locked thread