Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Asimo posted:

The only place CO really loses out over COH is faces, and even that's kind of unfair since most of COH's were just textures applied on a really simple head model.

I still prefer this method, myself. I really struggle with making faces in character creators; I'm great with the other parts of the creator, but faces tend to just have so many tiny little options that I can't handle them, and trying to pick between sixteen different eye types and six noses, or handling a jillion tiny sliders, means I usually stick with a mostly-default face because I can't teust myself to build a good one. In CoH it was easy, if I wanted to make an Asian character I'd pick an Asian face rather than just hope I can twist the creator into something that didn't look like rear end.

For what it's worth my favorite creator for faces was Dragon's Dogma, even if I really couldn't get into the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lezard_valeth posted:

Thanks to both replies! I have put the PA tank build on hold in the meantime while I familiarise myself a bit more with the spec trees. Right now I made a Munitions DPS character and I must say Munitions tree is really fun and I now understand why a few of my friends spammed Lead Tempest. I always wanted a character with Breakaway Shot because Kevin Poe made it look so awesome, but powerwise it's a bit underwhelming (specially since it only hits the enemy once, while Kevin Poe hits twice or more if I'm not mistaken).

About the Villain Powers, I want Nuclear Shockwave for a theme build but I heard they are a bit underwhelming. Just how bad are we talking about?

I haven't bothered with any of the villain powers, but it looks like it's just a regular charge up AoE. If it's for a theme build then just go for it, because having fun is the best. It's really hard to gently caress up a freeform character if you hit on all the key power types (passives, toggles, single target, AoE etc.)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't agree, I think Marvel Heroes does this kind of thing much better in concept (Daredevil keeps up with Thor reasonably well e.g.). Aside from the pure powergamer outlook on it that you're talking about, which is a question of character system design, I'm more talking about the presentation of content. If Level One Billion Superman (aka a fat guy eating Doritos behind a keyboard) wants to go punch gangbangers in Nuevo Manhattan then the content should be interesting and at least somewhat rewarding and challenging for him. If Level 10 Squirrel Girl (aka another fat guy in his computer cave wearing a diaper) wants to go punch Galactus in the dick then again, it should be interesting and reasonably practical and rewarding to do.

Duder my reading comprehension is not very sharp right now; what exactly are you describing? A game with zero "upward" progression, or more creativity regarding story telling? Maybe the examples are throwing me off, but I have been scrutinizing this comment since you posted it like 18 hours ago.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FF is advocating for a game where all content is playable by all players. Playable in the sense of "allowed to" and in the sense of "appropriate challenge and reward structures".

Superhero MMOs have never had much trouble with storytelling in terms of "why am I involved with this". "He is BAD and doing CRIME, stop him!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bluhman posted:

I'm actually curious to know what you find lacking with CO's costume creator. I played CoX in the past and found its character editor to be great for the time, but CO's just bests it in terms of geometry variety concerning the number of different shapes and items you can give your characters.

I found it easier to navigate than COs. And I'm more familiar with it, I guess.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
COs costume editor really is something that requires getting used to - first finding the shape of armor or clothing you want, and then hoping that the right texture is available for it. Like for most of the pieces it tends to be pretty self-explanatory or simple to find something that might fit what you're going for, but then you have times where, to get steampunk armor, you need to choose something generic like "armor tech light 1" and it just happens to have alternate textures for bands or fancy scrolls or what have you.

Certainly something that warrants exploration. Thankfully, a lot of newer costume options tend to just create new geometry rather than expand on textures. Still doesn't change the fact there is questionably too many options.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the logical way to put it. The top option is the mutually exclusive categories, and then there's a straight list of everything you can do.

It just needs to be clearer the top option is actually a drop box and not just a heading.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The only thing left for the CO character editor to fix is the waist and mass scale for my awesome lady characters, since wearing rad armor and having a stupidly small waist is the worst. And the mass slider does basically nothing unless your character is a dude, in which case you can go from stick-man to marshmallow.

LordSaturn posted:

FF is advocating for a game where all content is playable by all players. Playable in the sense of "allowed to" and in the sense of "appropriate challenge and reward structures".

Superhero MMOs have never had much trouble with storytelling in terms of "why am I involved with this". "He is BAD and doing CRIME, stop him!"

Okay that makes sense.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really liked that they started selling additional texture types for existing stuff, like the Sparkle and Ice hair textures that can be used with all hair, even hair from other costume parts bought in the store, and theoretically future hair they add. It's rad.

Plus with the whole 'equip two hairstyles' thing you can layer sparkles on normal hair or metal hair or ice hair and it looks great

CO has a great costume creator it just has kind of blah faces

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Duder my reading comprehension is not very sharp right now; what exactly are you describing? A game with zero "upward" progression, or more creativity regarding story telling? Maybe the examples are throwing me off, but I have been scrutinizing this comment since you posted it like 18 hours ago.

LordSaturn posted:

Exactly, I'm not saying there should be no "upward" progression, but the game should not be a literal train track that you can never get off of. If you want to take your almost-max-level character to the noob zone and finish leveling there (or even post-level cap, or maybe there should be no level cap :shrug:) then it should be reasonably rewarding, challenging and interesting for you to do so. If you want to take your brand new character fresh out of the tutorial to the ~ELITE CONTENT~ then you should be reasonably functional and able to contribute meaningfully to a random team of others. CO's skull leveling system allows this reasonably well, it's just not implemented everywhere. I wish future games would structure all their content like CO's story packs but that's kind of a pipe dream.

e: as you might surmise, I think the various incarnations of the "Purple Patch" comparative level scaling rules are poo poo covered with AIDS and stuffed with cancer

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 22, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So more like short spurs than one long sprawling epic. Maybe a couple of spurs locked behind other spurs, maybe a beat-hard-mode-to-unlock-hard-mode thing for progression's sake - but less expectation that you'd follow one specific progression track all the way through.

This runs the risk of one spur being massively more popular than the others, but that seems fixable in the short term by reward warping, and in the long term by balance adjustment.

EDIT: I do maybe ten levels per character on overworld content, the rest by grinding alerts or similar. gently caress the story arc, and I say this as someone who's been through FFXIV up to level 52.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 22, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Once you've completed the ~grand epic story arc~ once or twice, being forced to repeat it every time is really repellent to a lot of people even if we're all trained to expect it. If you have a freeform content system not tied to character levels, then if one particular spur/area/whatever becomes really popular and a large majority of players decide to hang out there, that's probably more to do with either a lack of effort in making the other areas interesting, or some too-profitable reward in the popular area (which is what you just said, I know).

e: How many of you dudes who have played a lot of characters up, always do it through the traditional traintracked missions rather than freeform alerts?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 22, 2016

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I've started questing (again) for leveling recently. They really did make a lot of cool missions and interesting characters, and everything Gadroon has been my favorite. One thing I liked as well was that ~14-20 or so you could go the Mojave route or the Canada route. That combined with AP's keep things from getting stale too quickly.

Flesh Forge posted:

Exactly, I'm not saying there should be no "upward" progression, but the game should not be a literal train track that you can never get off of. If you want to take your almost-max-level character to the noob zone and finish leveling there (or even post-level cap, or maybe there should be no level cap :shrug:) then it should be reasonably rewarding, challenging and interesting for you to do so. If you want to take your brand new character fresh out of the tutorial to the ~ELITE CONTENT~ then you should be reasonably functional and able to contribute meaningfully to a random team of others. CO's skull leveling system allows this reasonably well, it's just not implemented everywhere. I wish future games would structure all their content like CO's story packs but that's kind of a pipe dream.

e: as you might surmise, I think the various incarnations of the "Purple Patch" comparative level scaling rules are poo poo covered with AIDS and stuffed with cancer

Yeah "levels" are kind of archaic at this point. I am all for some kind of power-scale, but god drat D&D was like 50 years ago.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

LordSaturn posted:

maybe a beat-hard-mode-to-unlock-hard-mode thing for progression's sake
I'm convinced that this is the only real way to do level agnostic content in any game with meaningfully customizable progression. Automatic scaling just doesn't work when aimed at maintaining a reasonable* challenge, because accounting for a given build's strength and its player's competence is a total crapshoot. Putting players in control of their own difficulty target is the only way, even if it does enable grinding.

There is nothing more rage inducing than to be trying out a suboptimal build only to have every piece of content upscale to the point that what was easy 5 levels ago is now impossible.(Skyforge)

And then you have the added problem of trying to do it for several unteamed characters outside of an instance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A "beat X to unlock Y" system segregates players from being willing or able to team with random dudes, which is the problem with level/tier-restricted content in the first place. Granted, in any set of character mechanics where players have a lot of flexibility in how they construct their character you're going to have strong and weak individual characters, and that's fine (even good!) but having a hard line that divides players from each other or excludes them from content because that particular character hasn't logged enough hours killing giant rats and collecting rusty knives is some old-school bullshit that needs to go.

Related to this, systems that allow you to build a really lovely character should allow you to fix the shittiness without farming more rusty knives and giant rats (e.g. in Champions, retcons should be a trivial cost and not 100 cash alerts). RPGs with a lot of character diversity should encourage the player to explore their systems, not punish them for it.

e: I am totally on board with variable difficulty within a given team/solo session though, much the way City did it

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 22, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Counterpoint: People enjoy overcoming barriers, and a system with no barriers deprives them of this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Achievements :shrug:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I guess it's time for someone to make a Tekken Force mode MMO. No levels, all skill. Oh poo poo maybe a game that has gear what unlocks moves and combos like in Warframe. I'm getting close, right?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, I think the best way to do this would be with a combination of GW2-style 'scale-to-area' along with player progression that's more horizontal than vertical.

So basically, your stats go up or down to match whatever area you're in or whatever group your dealing with, so any character can technically do anything, but while you may be able to take a fresh character to go punch the Darkseid equivalent, the guy with you who has a 'leveled up' character has a lot more options (more powers, gear, fighting styles, contacts, whatever) so he's not limited to JUST punching out guys.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Awesome, you two go gather some venture capital and find a programmer and maybe a couple of 3d artists! I'll keep the ideas comin!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ill make the website

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow this race thing is pretty horrible. Even ignoring the one that has no guidelines and has the rings laid out to be intentionally confusing, I've been failing half the time after flying through a ring fine but the game doesn't recognize me doing it for no reason whatsoever. And ten minutes to try again! Cryptic Games! :toot:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I've had decent luck with it. I think the ring race works better in uncrowded zones. Also works more reliably the slower you're going (though if you're using a steam bike or travel power, usually going too fast isn't a problem.)

You also can switch zones to do races more rapidly than once every 10 minutes. Currently I think the zone order is 3-2-1?

The ring collision is generally kind of terrible, though, I do agree. Another thing that helps I think is also aiming for the center of the ring, as the passing detection seems to be better in there.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That reminds me of the door puzzles in Aftershock (I think). You have 4 choices for a simon-says type thing, and you have to hold down each choice for like a full two seconds just for it to register. Good times.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm now trying to build a Force (Force Cascade) + Darkness themed Ego/End/Con DPS, but I cannot decide which passive to use. Dark Form increases most skills I have in the set, but FC does not benefit from it. Ego Form says it increases your Paranormal damage (lower amount when compared to Dark Form) and your Physical Damage. Will this work on FC? Cause the Energy related form Kinetic Manipulation specifically says "Physical Ranged Damage". Any other form recomendation that might work or should I stick with Dark Form?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

What darkness powers are you going to be using? I mean, FC seems like the kind of power that you spam all the time and all the time.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

What darkness powers are you going to be using? I mean, FC seems like the kind of power that you spam all the time and all the time.

It's still on the build, I was wondering if DoTs trigger the energy return from Spirit Reverberation?

Dunno if I will be able to pull this off quickly enough, but my idea is Ebon Rift + the Ebon tornado (forgot it's name) to gain energy from Spirit Reverberation, Force Eruption to proc the hotspot, then Dark Transfusion (Blood Sacrifice, maybe with probably Dark Shroud too or Ego Surge?) followed by Force Cascade till Dark Transfusion is over then repeat. Ebon Ruin for those 4 or 5 seconds till Dark Transfusion is up again. Lifedrain for health (dunno if it's a good heal, I'm currently using this one because I am tired of Resurgence and Bountiful Chi lol)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Pretty sure any dimensional damage will trigger the unlock. I know full-charged Burning Chi Fists do it.

Ego form technically will work with force cascade, but I wouldn't recommend it for a variety of reasons. If I remember correctly, Ego form counts as an energy form, which means that while it will soften the energy cost of cascade, it will also be completely disabled with each force cascade you fire, which is very bad for your DPS. Ego form's physical damage boost isn't very large, either.

Even that aside, Dimensional/Crushing is a very weird combination of damage types (for non-melee) that's difficult to work with. I'd just stick with darkness or force, not both. My exception to this would be building a tank, but even that inversely has issues with damage, due to how defense-down effects are being implemented nowadays.

In any case, the plan you got for your attack cycle isn't bad, but probably the single easiest way to enable yourself to easily full-charge a FC is if you use Circle of Arcane power, or use the advantage on the force EB. Lifedrain isn't a terrible heal, though it lacks burst in those cases where you're taking a ton of damage, and it's not like BCR/Conviction where you can block between your uses to conserve health.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bluhman posted:

Pretty sure any dimensional damage will trigger the unlock. I know full-charged Burning Chi Fists do it.

Ego form technically will work with force cascade, but I wouldn't recommend it for a variety of reasons. If I remember correctly, Ego form counts as an energy form, which means that while it will soften the energy cost of cascade, it will also be completely disabled with each force cascade you fire, which is very bad for your DPS. Ego form's physical damage boost isn't very large, either.

Even that aside, Dimensional/Crushing is a very weird combination of damage types (for non-melee) that's difficult to work with. I'd just stick with darkness or force, not both. My exception to this would be building a tank, but even that inversely has issues with damage, due to how defense-down effects are being implemented nowadays.

In any case, the plan you got for your attack cycle isn't bad, but probably the single easiest way to enable yourself to easily full-charge a FC is if you use Circle of Arcane power, or use the advantage on the force EB. Lifedrain isn't a terrible heal, though it lacks burst in those cases where you're taking a ton of damage, and it's not like BCR/Conviction where you can block between your uses to conserve health.

On Conviction, I see a lot of people recommending it, yet I can't properly test it on the powerhouse. If you are at 25% Hp and pop conviction, does it heal you for the amount stated + 15% due to the increase on Hp (meaning that after using it you should sit somewhere around 40% Hp?) If not, what makes it such a great heal if you don't have Pre?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

It's fast. Fast and very low cooldown, and that's it. The health increase is buggy and weird, but literally the fact that it's an instantly poppable heal with a short cooldown and no charge/maintain mechanics means that it's very popular.

Almost universally when Conviction's taken, it's put at rank 3 for maximal healing power. Even then it's not like an amazing heal, but it can critical and aside from maybe absorb heat, there is basically no better option for self-healing while also trying to fight back.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lezard_valeth posted:

On Conviction, I see a lot of people recommending it, yet I can't properly test it on the powerhouse. If you are at 25% Hp and pop conviction, does it heal you for the amount stated + 15% due to the increase on Hp (meaning that after using it you should sit somewhere around 40% Hp?) If not, what makes it such a great heal if you don't have Pre?

The temporary hp is just a buffer. You'd heal, the 15% hp would show up, but then would disappear as soon as you took damage.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lezard_valeth posted:

It's still on the build, I was wondering if DoTs trigger the energy return from Spirit Reverberation?

Dunno if I will be able to pull this off quickly enough, but my idea is Ebon Rift + the Ebon tornado (forgot it's name) to gain energy from Spirit Reverberation, Force Eruption to proc the hotspot, then Dark Transfusion (Blood Sacrifice, maybe with probably Dark Shroud too or Ego Surge?) followed by Force Cascade till Dark Transfusion is over then repeat. Ebon Ruin for those 4 or 5 seconds till Dark Transfusion is up again. Lifedrain for health (dunno if it's a good heal, I'm currently using this one because I am tired of Resurgence and Bountiful Chi lol)

In the time it takes for you to do all that you can just abuse Circle of Arcane Whatevers and do CoAWhatever -> Force Eruption -> FC -> Circle again -> FE -> FC. If you want to stick with a theme though then that's cool too.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

In the time it takes for you to do all that you can just abuse Circle of Arcane Whatevers and do CoAWhatever -> Force Eruption -> FC -> Circle again -> FE -> FC. If you want to stick with a theme though then that's cool too.

Yep it's for a theme. I tested around a bit on PTS and Dark Form is the way to go. It lessens the cost of Force Cascade seens it's an Energy Form, and with Ego Surge adv I can pop 3-4 FC crits at around 17-19k initial one and the following 14-17k on the PH doll. Dunno how that would translate to bosses.

It's the first time I'm messing around with a Force Cascade build and drat, it's an amazing DPS skill but it has so many little details to pay attention to. I didn't notice till Bluh mentioned that it shuts down your energy form, which all passive that could boost it are.

On an aside note, how good is Tremor in replacement of Havoc Stomp? Havoc does some nice damage but...the drat knock back to the next country is really annoying. Is Tremor's HoT advantage worth it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The temporary hp is just a buffer. You'd heal, the 15% hp would show up, but then would disappear as soon as you took damage.

It's made for pairing with Iniquity, it works really well with it.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lezard_valeth posted:

Is Tremor's HoT advantage worth it?

It's not huge but it's noticeable. Just keep in mind that when you're using Dark Transfusion you'll be healing for less.

Also, have you thought about using Quarry as a passive? You wouldn't get the energy discount on FC, but you'd get more physical damage than Shadow Form and you'd still get some non-phy damage too. And the healing adv is con based. And Quarry is awesome.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Quarry with the heal on kill advantage is really good, yeah.

I think I am gonna clear my freeform slot and remake my stun/support character, I really enjoyed playing that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

It's not huge but it's noticeable. Just keep in mind that when you're using Dark Transfusion you'll be healing for less.

Tremor is for another toon. I got tired of not being able to AoE mooks cause Havoc Stomp knock back so I'm respecing it. (also cause I can't read and went with Frenzy because I thought Shred wasn't AoE)

And yeah I thought about Quarry too. I'll see how it plays out.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 1, 2016

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Frenzy still has some use. It hits 5 targets instead of Shreds 3, and has some really unwieldy (imo) advantage and gives you regen and crit.

I am reminded of a build I did where all of my attacks involved stomping on the ground. Surprise it owned.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

i think Frenzy has a wider arc on all its attacks too, the last (and hardest) hit of Shred is fairly narrow. Still, it's pretty drat nice that they made most of the melee attacks AoE cones, that instantly made about half the archetypes less obnoxious to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So Cosmic Villains are out and I decided to dust off my old healer since they seem to be very required.

So far I have Primary: Pre, Sec: Con, Intelligence

Trees: Presence, Sentinel, Sentry, Pre mastery

Powers: Rebuke, Iniquity, Mindful Reinforcement, Protection Field, Rebirth, AoPM, Telekinetic Shield, Divine Renewal

Should I choose other superstats or switch them around?

Also what other powers I should get? I'm undecided between Circle of Radiant Glory, Circle of Arcane Power or Circle of Primal Dominion.

Regardless of which, I think I still have 2 points leftover. I considered Sigils of Radiant Sanctuary but I think those will go down in a poof once the Cosmics do their AoEs. What about Redirected Force?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 9, 2016