Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

THe shade of purple is unpleasant.. Plus you can probably accidentally kill monsters that you're using as backup.

Purps are only hostile to mobs if they got summoned in with a soapstone.

The real reason to invade as a red is that the host won't get away. Nothing annoyed me more than busting a ganksquad only for the host to get away because his three phantoms filled my quota.

e: How does the game determine your quota anyway? Is it random? I've had invasions where I had to kill host or three phantoms, but the host has no buddies and no blue showed up, and others where it's kill host or one phantom and it turns out I invaded a fight club.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Is there any point in equipping Rosaria's covenant item at all? It's not like the other covenants where you get a specific item for them when you equip the right emblem. As far as I know, you get the tongues for a successful invasion whether you have it on or not.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah true. it's unsatisfying when you kill the host's bodyguard over and over and he just, escapes with zero consequences. (guts and griffith cosplayers should not let this happen to them)

its cool when you get really messy invasions with people of varying allegiances and, as a purple, you just betray everyone. i invaded last night in the swamp with the human ring on and it was a catastrophe

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I suspect it's based on the maximum number of players that have been in the world you're invading, whether they're currently there or not. I find it's usually "host or two phantoms" when there have been 1-2 phantoms and maybe a previous red invasion, but if you're invading a world that's had multiple reds and bluecop intervention it's usually "host or three phantoms." I don't think I've ever seen "host or one phantom" before.

Killing reds is something I try to avoid, but if they won't play ball or rush the host and limp off after getting thrashed by a gank squad, well, wildcard bitches.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

Okay I am ready to agree with everyone who says Darkmoon autosummon is busted.

Level 30, +2 reinforcement at Undead Settlement? No way you shouldn't be summoned, come on.

I had an absolute blast yesterday getting summoned in to someone's world as an Aldrich invader at level 25 or so. I want to say it was the host and a phantom partner, a darkmoon defender, red phantom, me and another Aldrich guy and a Seed of Giants activated, and we basically had a 3v2v1 brawl going on while dodging giant feet and fire from the sky. So once I die (after the darkmoon guy did), I figure I'd pop on the darkmoon covenant and still got no bites. I KNOW there's a brawl there, and that the host has Way of Blue equipped, but the game wouldn't pull me in. I re-equip the Aldrich Faithful covenant and I'm put right back into the same host, so I know he's been using Dried Fingers to keep the mayhem going. But the stupid covenant almost never works for me. :(

I wonder if maybe the password system could be to blame? Is it possible that it prevents friendly summons from automatically joining if the host is using a password and the blue summon doesn't know it? Or does it not work that way?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I would just like to re-iterate how incredibly effective offhanding a polearm with a fast weapon with roughly longsword reach in your mainhand is. This works and is incredibly effective. It gives you a wide variety of ranges and attack speeds and you can combo most polearm pokes into a light attack combo with your longsword-equivalent (again, may be able to use shorter range weapons, but speed I don't think is negotiable). As bonus, it's quick and easy to two-hand your polearm or your main hand for access to two different weapon arts at any given time (it's why I'm using the champ halberd as my offhand of choice).

It looks goofy, but people absolutely don't know how to deal with it. Attempting to roll the poke just gets you eating a set of R1s. Just have to be careful with parrying and you're drat near unapproachable. Try it out!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
HAhah I just noticed the Dreamchaser's Ashes is holding a pendant and the handmaiden stops short of calling him a dumb jerk, plus he unlocks babby's equipment load

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i was invaded by the npc at the start of grand archives and was repeatedly hitting them during a roll and hearing the noise of the attack landing but not seeing any damage. is this down to the poise bug?

is the lift before dragonslayer armour something i'll come back to later?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

i was invaded by the npc at the start of grand archives and was repeatedly hitting them during a roll and hearing the noise of the attack landing but not seeing any damage. is this down to the poise bug?

There is no NPC at the beginning of Grand Archives. It was a real player and they were laggy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Jose posted:

It's the shortcut to the boss of Grand Archives, so yes. Don't worry about it, you'll know when you get to the other end of it.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I just killed the two Princes in Lothric Castle, where do I go now to progress?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Haeleus posted:

Thou must deliver the lords unto their thrones and then speak with the Fire Keeper.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Haeleus posted:

Return the Lords to their Thrones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

It's the shortcut to the boss of Grand Archives, so yes. Don't worry about it, you'll know when you get to the other end of it.

Ok.

Whats the maximum number of estus shards/undead bone dust available in a single game? I've got 13 +7 estus in the grand archives

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Ok.

Whats the maximum number of estus shards/undead bone dust available in a single game? I've got 13 +7 estus in the grand archives

15 estus, +10

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
PSA: If you have a huge pile of soul items you can just sell them for full value rather than go through your inventory and use them to save some time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

15 estus, +10

Wonder if I've missed any. As far as i know i've not missed any areas. I really ought to use skills more but I've not really seen stomp being particularly useful

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Wonder if I've missed any. As far as i know i've not missed any areas

There's one of each towards the end of the Grand Archives, after that go back and look around

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've found that undead bone dust so i guess i need to go gargoyle killing to find the estus shard

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pretty annoyed at how poo poo NG+ is. Im just walking through bosses, sigh.

Imagine the bumpersticker with Bush that says "Miss me yet?" but instead of Bush its Scholar of the First Sin.

When I got past Road of Sacrifice I was suprised to see a ton of summon signs. Apparently thats the NG+ 100 level pvp area, people grinding for covenants or whatever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nakar posted:

Aside from getting tongues, is there a good reason not to invade as a mad phantom instead of a regular red? Reds are hostile to each other anyway, but get nothing out of it, and purples can fulfill their duty with phantom kills. I've had Mound-Maker invasions where I never even saw the host, but between cops and a summon that was more aggressive than his master I easily met my quota and hosed off back where I came. Meanwhile a lot of times I'm a red the other red just gets in my way or hits me. If everybody's gonna try to kill me I may as well be in the covenant where literally everyone is my enemy so the kills all count.

Thanks for pointing this out, I never invaded as a purple before and just assumed that regular enemies were going to be hostile :downs:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jose posted:

i've found that undead bone dust so i guess i need to go gargoyle killing to find the estus shard

You dont have to kill them. You get a titanite slab if you do though.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Tallgeese posted:

That would be interesting. It doesn't seem like Contribution Rate is concord contributions alone, since to test this theory I just threw 79 concords at Yorshka and that value didn't move.

That, or they made it so that Contribution Rate only updates after a successful Darkmoon summon, exactly like Sin in DS1. That's why lowering Sin in CE didn't seem to work in DS1: it actually did, but you had to get killed by a Darkmoon for a decrease to take effect.

Why would I not be surprised.

Wow how did you get so many ears?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Domattee posted:

e: How does the game determine your quota anyway? Is it random? I've had invasions where I had to kill host or three phantoms, but the host has no buddies and no blue showed up, and others where it's kill host or one phantom and it turns out I invaded a fight club.

it's based on how many phantoms are in the game when you invade.

host or host +1 phantom - kill host or 1 phantom
+2 - host or 2 phantoms
+3 - host or 3 phantoms

i believe it caps out at kill host or 3 phantoms. the nice thing is the criteria is set when you invade, so if you invade a solo host who then summons 3 people, you still only need to kill one phantom or the host to fulfill your invasion criteria. it also doesn't care which phantoms you kill, so if the host has two white buddies and there's two reds and a blue cop, you could kill both reds or a red and a blue or whatever and still get your ember and bone shackle.

purple invasion is best invasion. i seriously don't even know why red exists when purple is better in every way and the REO isn't locked into the red covenant. someone pages ago said red should at least be something like old school DS1 invasion where it prioritizes single hosts but prevents invaders from using estus and prevents hosts from addtl summons aside from maybe a single bluecop, so that at least it'd give some kind of different gameplay, and i thought that was a cool idea that will never be implemented.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

You dont have to kill them. You get a titanite slab if you do though.

Guess i'll do it then since i could use that a little

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jose posted:

Guess i'll do it then since i could use that a little

They can be annoying because they gang up on you and jump behind you so you are stuck. There are usually phantoms around there that makes it much easier, just by spliting there attention.

It seems like more squads in this game all agro together. Harder to pull one at a time.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it's also pretty hilarious that the host, white, gold, and blue cop phantoms all can't hurt each other with AoE spells or wide arcing weapon attacks, but EVERY type of invader is hostile towards every type of invader, as well as all of the defenders. i've managed to kill more than my fair share of co-invaders without even intending to because i tend to use heavy weapons and we'd corner and host and start laying into him/her and my weapon arcs would end of smacking the host and the other invader around.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/lite_sleepr/status/726808288629661696

I'm having a much better go of it this time. This rear end hits harder than most two handers, I have plenty of health, and my rolls are much better. Plus, my point allocation makes more sense now, as I've decided that for now I'm going to keep my DEX/STR the same for a quality build and use a refine gem soon.

Or who knows I might respec and use a loving great sword :black101:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

homeless poster posted:

it's based on how many phantoms are in the game when you invade.

host or host +1 phantom - kill host or 1 phantom
+2 - host or 2 phantoms
+3 - host or 3 phantoms

I invaded someone who had only one white summoned last night and I had to kill three phantoms.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This thread was talking about Drakeblood Greatsword infusions a while back right? What's a good one for that

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jastiger posted:

For lore, is Gwyn the FIRST of all of it? I know time and space run all over, but is that part right? Did all of these places exist in different times and places or are they all the same place just millenia old?

Gwyn was first and DS1 guy was second. DS2 guy is at an indeterminate place in history, then there have been others who were not player characters either before or after.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, watching people play this game for the first time is an exercise in frustration :negative: "Oh I guess this 30 minute detour was just a dead end, oh well." Why does no one ever look at their surroundings.
I know I'm a huge sperg, but while it's so much fun to see people's first reaction to stuff in this game some people are just skilled at avoiding huge amounts of content.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Fashion Souls is all i have left...

Did we accidentally make the same costume? It's got the Swordspear and everything!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 1, 2016

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

net cafe scandal posted:

This thread was talking about Drakeblood Greatsword infusions a while back right? What's a good one for that

I think it came down to, if you're a Sorcerer or a Cleric, infuse it Raw and then buff it with Crystal Magic Weapon, Lightning Blade, or Darkmoon Blade.

If not, towards whichever physical stats you favor, same as always I suppose? I think the main thing about it was that it's a weapon with magical damage types that you can still buff, so use resins if you aren't some kind of magic-user.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

The lie down emote is the best part of this game, clearly. :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I finally have the vitality to have the dragonslayer greatshield and fume ultra great sword out at the same time with the ring of favour and not fat roll. Can't wear any armour though

Jose fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 1, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

GulagDolls posted:

yeah true. it's unsatisfying when you kill the host's bodyguard over and over and he just, escapes with zero consequences. (guts and griffith cosplayers should not let this happen to them)

its cool when you get really messy invasions with people of varying allegiances and, as a purple, you just betray everyone. i invaded last night in the swamp with the human ring on and it was a catastrophe

WILD CARD BITCHES

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I invade as a purple and the host uses a seed of giants you know I'm going to go grab every loving enemy in the zone. I've invaded Road of Sacrifice so many times and every time I see the seed of giants icon I run and grab the black knight, all of the crucifixion dudes, the crabs, everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mimingless posted:

I think it came down to, if you're a Sorcerer or a Cleric, infuse it Raw and then buff it with Crystal Magic Weapon, Lightning Blade, or Darkmoon Blade.

If not, towards whichever physical stats you favor, same as always I suppose? I think the main thing about it was that it's a weapon with magical damage types that you can still buff, so use resins if you aren't some kind of magic-user.

Or fire, fire isamazing on 95% or enemies and its not scaling based. Way better then RAW for early game. You just need a backup plan when you run into a fire demon or something.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Babe Magnet posted:

if I invade as a purple and the host uses a seed of giants you know I'm going to go grab every loving enemy in the zone. I've invaded Road of Sacrifice so many times and every time I see the seed of giants icon I run and grab the black knight, all of the crucifixion dudes, the crabs, everything.
Seed of Giants wears off as soon as you die, doesn't it? :allears:
I've tried to pull enemies to the host when I get summoned via the white soapstone, but they never want to actually follow me too far. The watery part of Road of Sacrifices was my favorite spot for PvP. Feel kinda sad that I'm too overleveled for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can i have missed 5 bosses