Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Took your advice and grabbed a bag of pasilla chilis. Anxious to try them out this weekend.

So I was just told I will be cooking chili for 18+ people this weekend. Looks like I got about 7lbs of venison after I pull the bones, so gonna grab a tray of cubed chuck stew meat as well.

What's the ratio of meat (lbs) to people everyone estimates for? 1/3lb per person or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Dude just asked me if I put potatoes and carrots in my chili :smugjones:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

Dude just asked me if I put potatoes and carrots in my chili :smugjones:

:catbert: you know what you must do. He must become the next batch of chili.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Suspect Bucket posted:

:catbert: you know what you must do. He must become the next batch of chili.

Human meat is supposed to be closer to pork though so probably make him into sausage and add that to your beef base when you make it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use pork all the time in chilli, no need to make him into sausage.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
pork is good in everything.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
potatoes and definitely carrots might be on the short list of things that would make me refuse to eat a chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can see carrots, sort of, in a misguided belief that mirepoix was required.

But potatoes is just crazy.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Potatoes + carrots = spicy stew in my book.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah I mean if you get over "not chili," spicy meat in a sauce with vegetables is probably not the least edible thing I can think of.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Made the chili without chipotles or cayenne because people told me to make it "less spicy".

Then everyone complained it tasted flat because it had no kick :cripes:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crazyeyes posted:

Made the chili without chipotles or cayenne because people told me to make it "less spicy".

Then everyone complained it tasted flat because it had no kick :cripes:

Provide those people with a tub of sour cream and a spoon. My wife complains when I make things spicy enough to notice, but give her a bit of that to mix in and she calms right down.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've got 3lbs of coarse-ground venison that I'll be making into chili this weekend. I generally end up "watering down" the venison by cutting it with other meats. Generally 50% venison, 25% beef, 25% pork. It ends up being very noticeably venison, while not being so gamey as to throw off the unitiated.

My question though is, my go to chili recipes lately all include chipotle, but I am afraid that the chipotle will tread all over the venison. Anyone have any thoughts on leaving it out, and focusing on more standard ancho, guajillo, etc... to let the venison shine through, just getting heat from cayenne?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My award winning :smug: chili focused less on heat-for-heat's sake and more from complex flavor that comes from, as you mention, a blend of dried chiles. I used pasilla, new mexico, and guajillo (in seemingly large amounts). For heat I would use fire-roasted poblanos, and if I felt like even more, I'd use those little cans of la morena green chiles.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I usually add some odds and ends in there, and there was pork feet and beef bone with marrow on sale today. This is by far the richest the chili has tasted and it's only like 2.5 hours into the cook.

neogeo0823 posted:

Provide those people with a tub of sour cream and a spoon. My wife complains when I make things spicy enough to notice, but give her a bit of that to mix in and she calms right down.

yup this is what I do for anyone who complains.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Post dat recipe son.

Also how do pigs feet interact with the flavor? I've never used them and always wondered about that. How greasy is the end result?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

this is actually a first go round with that and the bone marrow. I'm looking to kill heat around 11 tonight (I started later than I anticipated). I would imagine I have to skim a bit since I have 2lbs of chorizo and 1lbs lunganiza in addition to that.

I'll post a pic and some kind of recipe later, but it's basically the iron leg chili on pg1 with a bunch of personal tweaks!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

If I were to make chili with anything BUT conventional beef and pork cuts, I guarantee I'd be the only one eating it.

Guess what I'm using next...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Missing Name posted:

If I were to make chili with anything BUT conventional beef and pork cuts, I guarantee I'd be the only one eating it.

what your guests don't know won't hurt them. It certainly won't hurt you either. At least till after they've eaten it and you've told them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Missing Name posted:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

How are they charging $5 a pound for pizzle?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it wasn't chili, but i made beef stew a while back using chopped heart and it was some of the best eatin's i've ever made

my mom found out it was heart and refused to eat it cause it's "organ tissue". oh nooooooooo, now i have to eat it all, how sad.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Better A, B or C?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I prefer san marcos.

Though, chiLpotle? I never noticed that before.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
B

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I go for C myself.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Ranter posted:

Though, chiLpotle? I never noticed that before.
That's apparently the traditional Mexican Spanish spelling and maybe closer to the Nahuatl pronunciation of the word.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
All three are good. To me though, San Marcos is by far the best. It is the exact flavor that I think of when I think chipotle.

I had never noticed the "extra" L though...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Some googling make me think that chilpotle is the real name in Mexico.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd just get whatever is the cheapest unless you're buying 20+ tins and don't have space

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm going to deliberately pronounce and enunciate the L now and see how many hits I get. Like a reverse Expresso.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I just got a smoker, and though I have posted in the smoker thread, I'm crossposting here because I think there is potential for wonderful synergy of smoking chilis and/or meats and then making chili with them.

Does anyone have any experience here or will I be attacking this frontier alone and confused.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dehydrated beans, how do I not gently caress this up? Can I soak it with flavorings or will the overnight soak demand water and just gently caress up, "not pure water"? I was thinking vegetable broth and or spices nothing acidic.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Junkie Disease posted:

Dehydrated beans, how do I not gently caress this up? Can I soak it with flavorings or will the overnight soak demand water and just gently caress up, "not pure water"? I was thinking vegetable broth and or spices nothing acidic.

You can soak dry beans in whatever, but if you're putting a bunch of stuff in the soaking liquid it will probably need to be refrigerated so you'll want to soak for longer. Or you could just add the beans directly to your chili since you're probably cooking your chili longer than 2 hours anyway.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Add them direct, there's no need to soak beans

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The soaking them forever thing, seems to be old hat. So I did a quick wash/boil and added them to a slow cooker for 9 hours on low with spices and a few dryed chilis. Then pureeing half the beans, and adding the norm stuff after that. I'll report how it goes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

OK so the don't soak the beans just rinse/boil/rinse slowcook with veg broth or I suppose meat broth is magic. Its got a good bean flavor and the juice is delish. I slow cooked them with diced sweet onions, dehydrated chilis and spices. Then for the end salsa and soy chorizo. A+

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Every time I don't soak and rinse my beans I get stomach cramps and excessive gas/bloating.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's psychosomatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's fear