Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Seed of Giants wears off as soon as you die, doesn't it? :allears:
I've tried to pull enemies to the host when I get summoned via the white soapstone, but they never want to actually follow me too far. The watery part of Road of Sacrifices was my favorite spot for PvP. Feel kinda sad that I'm too overleveled for it now.

I have no idea how it works other than "enemies target invaders", I don't use it. They also target the host during the effect, too, right?

I've gotten a few host kills by bringing the Black Knight into bonfires or enclosed spaces and rolling like a motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

my new dog posted:

How can i have missed 5 bosses

dumb and bad

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

net cafe scandal posted:

This thread was talking about Drakeblood Greatsword infusions a while back right? What's a good one for that

Raw with a buff is probably the best unless you're really high level or a ridiculous glass cannon. I know at 60 faith raw does better than 40 faith/dex does with sharp while the buff is up and you have the other benefits of 60 faith. Faith builds are probably better for it since you can choose between magic or lightning damage, at least in a perfect world in which you could get darkmoon blade. Lightning still seems to be a little better than magic anyway, but a couple late game bosses are highly resistant to it. Interestingly, if you infuse it with chaos or dark, the lightning and magic damage also get scaling. If you went 40/40 int/faith it might be worth it to do so, but probably not because you lose the buff and a huge amount of physical damage and probably only break even on magic and lightning since they lose so much base damage. It is cool to deal four damage types at once, though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I didn't think it would be this hard just to get 1 giant seed. I've only been invaded once by a mad phantom in crucifixion woods. NPC invasions don't trigger it do they?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

arghblarg

Edit: are we done with spoiler tags or should I spoiler this just to be safe?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

homeless poster posted:

it's also pretty hilarious that the host, white, gold, and blue cop phantoms all can't hurt each other with AoE spells or wide arcing weapon attacks, but EVERY type of invader is hostile towards every type of invader, as well as all of the defenders. i've managed to kill more than my fair share of co-invaders without even intending to because i tend to use heavy weapons and we'd corner and host and start laying into him/her and my weapon arcs would end of smacking the host and the other invader around.

It would be amusing if there was an item like a reverse Tree Giant seed that did this. Imagine the chaos if suddenly blue cops and sunbros could hurt their friends. That could be a bit OP. Perhaps something that just makes a host able to damage any phantom regardless of color?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Toiwat posted:

arghblarg

Edit: are we done with spoiler tags or should I spoiler this just to be safe?

It's so strange. I'm not trying to flex my dick here or anything but he's never given me any real trouble. I've always been able to read his attacks and dodge them fine. I perfectly get why people have so much trouble with him but for whatever reason it hasn't been too bad for me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tracula posted:

It would be amusing if there was an item like a reverse Tree Giant seed that did this. Imagine the chaos if suddenly blue cops and sunbros could hurt their friends. That could be a bit OP. Perhaps something that just makes a host able to damage any phantom regardless of color?

Maybe it could work like the undead hunter charm where you actually have to hit them with it, instead of like the seed where it just happens.

I'm very much down for a whole bunch of weird items we can throw at each other to make our lives more difficult.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A single hollow guardbroke me than took me from 1200 hp to 100 in one combo on my alt at the halfway fortress. That's literally more dangerous than most bosses.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
What weapons take to raw infusion well for a caster build? Preferably something that's also a low stat investment. Alternatively, weapons that have something else, utility moveset, weapon art, what-have-you.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Tracula posted:

It's so strange. I'm not trying to flex my dick here or anything but he's never given me any real trouble. I've always been able to read his attacks and dodge them fine. I perfectly get why people have so much trouble with him but for whatever reason it hasn't been too bad for me.

Eh, I mean, it's fine, I can read him pretty well except for the first time because I was all "I know what to do, STAND IN THE BEAST'S CROTCH :black101:" and I could not see its attacks.
This was one of those :darksouls: moments where I got hosed because I tried to go for just one more hit instead of backing off to heal.

Still, he's one of my favorite bosses, along with the Princes and Armour, compared to something like Pontiff, Dancer and the second part of Watchers which while good I don't like as much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Viperix posted:

What weapons take to raw infusion well for a caster build? Preferably something that's also a low stat investment. Alternatively, weapons that have something else, utility moveset, weapon art, what-have-you.

I would recommend either a raw Astora Straight Sword or a raw Drakeblood Greatsword. Everything else is rather mediocre as far as base AR goes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, if ever you want to grind sunlight medals the Nameless King is the place to do it.

Most times you won't even finish the animation for putting down your sign before you get summoned.

That fight sucks in general though, if for no other reason than the fact that you spend so much time running around. That and the whole "damage sponge" and "basically no reliable opportunities to heal" thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also the crystal sage has a three hit combo where he beats you with his stick, which is hilariously ineffective. Especially compared to the 1100 hp combo hollow. :haw:

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Wonder if I've missed any. As far as i know i've not missed any areas.

There's one that's quite easy to miss, I missed it on my first playthrough even though I usually explore pretty thoroughly. There's a chest in the Anor Londo hall, just before the Aldrich fight. It's in a dark corner, I didn't spot it until I was standing right next to it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr Dog posted:

Well, if ever you want to grind sunlight medals the Nameless King is the place to do it.

I've found Deacons to be the easiest place to co-op. It's just so much fun to go in with a few other phantoms and just randomly swing around a great sword and smash all of them :black101:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

The lie down emote is the best part of this game, clearly. :allears:

All your missing is a blue power ranger.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So is nobody going to comment on how Bloodborne-y two of those "DLC" songs were? Cause they were pretty goddamned Bloodborne-y

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

lite_sleepr posted:

dumb and bad

:cry: im going down to the lake of fire now OK

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mr Dog posted:

Most times you won't even finish the animation for putting down your sign before you get summoned.

That fight sucks in general though, if for no other reason than the fact that you spend so much time running around. That and the whole "damage sponge" and "basically no reliable opportunities to heal" thing.

I tried summoning for that fight on a dex build, holy crap, "unable to summon unable to summon unabl.....

The worst part is when I finally would get a team, they would die in phase one like a bunch of chumps. So i figure it was people trying to get a free kindle/emeber to summon their own help.

Really annoying getting into the fight and then having a double help boss and no backup because they all suuuuucked at phase 1.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

A single hollow guardbroke me than took me from 1200 hp to 100 in one combo on my alt at the halfway fortress. That's literally more dangerous than most bosses.

your fault for using a shield tbh

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I really like the flamberge for style reasons, but I never hear anyone talk about it. My flame flamberge is falling behind pretty badly, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Chaos version? Is there a stat minimum I should go for? I went quality so I could try most of the weapons but I'm not against changing things for theme reasons now that I'm past dancer.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I was finally gonna start the game this weekend, but now I'm reading all this stuff about how the PC version is infested with cheaters and there are people going around using hacks to get other players banned. Is it really as bad as it sounds? Should I play offline? Honestly, I can take or leave the multiplayer stuff for now, but I actually really like having orange signs and bloodstains on my first time through a Dark Souls, I think it's a big part of the exploration.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ruggington posted:

your fault for using a shield tbh

To be fair the next time I dropped it and two handed my weapon, but those guys also get hyper armor and tracking, so gently caress you no matter what if you're not backpedaling like mad. :haw:

It's mostly just weird how weak most bosses are compared to the things in front of them.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Viperix posted:

Other than the rear end or the drakeblood, you might check out the falchion. It has low requirements, and decent base damage. Note, I haven't actually used one, rather I used the Carthus curved sword for a good while, which hits lightning fast two-handed (perfect for a buff build) and has good reach. It sucks up stamina like crazy, though, has lower base damage than a falchion and higher requirements. It is, however, far more stylish.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

super fart shooter posted:

I was finally gonna start the game this weekend, but now I'm reading all this stuff about how the PC version is infested with cheaters and there are people going around using hacks to get other players banned. Is it really as bad as it sounds? Should I play offline? Honestly, I can take or leave the multiplayer stuff for now, but I actually really like having orange signs and bloodstains on my first time through a Dark Souls, I think it's a big part of the exploration.

What you're reading is wildly exaggerating the frequency, but not the consequences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What you're reading is wildly exaggerating the frequency, but not the consequences.

Yeah, most of the cheaters you encounter are just giving themselves infinite hp or stamina or both.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's pretty boring. They can't all be The Last Guardian of Asgard

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

I tried summoning for that fight on a dex build, holy crap, "unable to summon unable to summon unabl.....

The worst part is when I finally would get a team, they would die in phase one like a bunch of chumps. So i figure it was people trying to get a free kindle/emeber to summon their own help.

Really annoying getting into the fight and then having a double help boss and no backup because they all suuuuucked at phase 1.

This is why you only ever summon one phantom for a boss fight.

The phantom's there to prevent the boss from being up in your poo poo nonstop so that you have a chance to heal. Further phantoms don't really help much in that regard and just buff their HP through the roof.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Wisdom.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Never summon a phantom for any boss fight.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

my new dog posted:

Use a longer sword.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is it normal for the game to not hand you the achievement for the dark ending?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I really like the flamberge for style reasons, but I never hear anyone talk about it. My flame flamberge is falling behind pretty badly, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Chaos version? Is there a stat minimum I should go for? I went quality so I could try most of the weapons but I'm not against changing things for theme reasons now that I'm past dancer.
I'm liking the flamberge too and also confused by the general lack of discussion on it. But if you've got quality build stats and they're both higher than the base to wield the weapon, a refined infusion seems like it'd be much better than flame or chaos.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Butt Ox posted:

I summon phantoms for vordt, because why not help somebody get an easy medal

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BillmasterCozb posted:

Is it normal for the game to not hand you the achievement for the dark ending?

Did you attack the Fire Keeper? I want to say that's technically its own ending if you kill her.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mr Dog posted:

This is why you only ever summon one phantom for a boss fight.

The phantom's there to prevent the boss from being up in your poo poo nonstop so that you have a chance to heal. Further phantoms don't really help much in that regard and just buff their HP through the roof.

I was not aware extra phantoms buffed the health more. Huh. You are right though the splitting of the boss's attention is why you want another player there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Based on the thread I was expecting Nameless King to be like impossible, just took me like 4 tries. This game is too easy. :smuggo:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Butt Ox posted:

Co-op is fun though.

Also I was getting really tired of Nameless King's poo poo. He's a Dude In Armor, a damage sponge, and you're running around on top of a featureless storm cloud and oh hey is he going to do the follow-up for this combo or isn't he?

Oh and you have to run yourself ragged up and down the arena to slay the giant chicken first on every single attempt. Thankfully the Dragonslayer Spear tears strips out of the giant chicken and also the riposte animation is really satisfying, especially the way it goes right into the phase change cutscene right as you grab the cross bar and wrench the spear out.

Boring. Boring boring boring. It's a difficult fight but not for any interesting reason. Final boss is difficult, Sulyvahn is difficult, Champ is difficult. All those fights are difficult and actually fun as well. NK is a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tracula posted:

Did you attack the Fire Keeper? I want to say that's technically its own ending if you kill her.

I didn't do this and still got the applicable trophy.

my new dog posted:

At least you didn't manage to stumble upon all of them on your first playthrough. That was kind of a bummer; beating the game for the first time, hitting up the wiki, and finding out you didn't miss a single drat thing to check out on a subsequent playthrough.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2016