Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

German tourist add to the rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkojS1QFEc&t=5s

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thanks for the reinactment images Raskolnikov38!

Also, holy gently caress we might hit 1000 pages in the coming week!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Speaking of, do y'all think it might be time for a new thread? It's probably a pretty loving daunting feat to read this one from the beginning at this point, it might be scaring off some potential new posters.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Since this one will be gold mined, I think 1k pages is a good stopping off point. People doing mega posts might need some time to gather their stuff together to continue in the new thread if there is one now.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I read all of it over two weeks, was a good read, like a book that kept taking weird tangents. I'd say 1k pages just because its 1k.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I want all of George the Objector stuff in the new thread, it's solid gold from a historical perspective and super interesting to me personally.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
P-mack's stuff and the Soviet tank development

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Polish-Soviet War write up and the Special Operation of the 2nd World War too, the goons writing them seem to be terribly busy at the moment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rather than start a new thread, why not just re-work the OP with links to all the really neat stuff. Put a note in it to the effect of "you odn't need to read all 1000 pages of this, but here is some notable cool stuff"

There's no reason for anyone to read fifty pages broken across ten incidents of us talking about tank suspensions or whatever but consigning some of the good effort posts like the Chinese Taiping war stuff or the CO diaries to the archives would be unfortunate.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The goldmine is readily accessible without archives though.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Any Kraut-speakers ITT know the pronunciation of Sylt? My dumb English-speaking mind says it should sound like "Silt" but I assume that's wrong.

When a "y" comes in the middle of a word it represents a rounded "i". When you pronounce the vowel sound in the English word "silt" your lips are relaxed, but when you make the vowel sound in "Sylt" your lips should describe an O shape. Also, in German initial "s" followed by a vowel is a voiced consonant, meaning it sounds like "z".

It should sound more like "Zoolt" (not a perfect representation, but close).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cyrano4747 posted:

Rather than start a new thread, why not just re-work the OP with links to all the really neat stuff. Put a note in it to the effect of "you odn't need to read all 1000 pages of this, but here is some notable cool stuff"

There's no reason for anyone to read fifty pages broken across ten incidents of us talking about tank suspensions or whatever but consigning some of the good effort posts like the Chinese Taiping war stuff or the CO diaries to the archives would be unfortunate.

Pitty this thread hasn't spawned more books then it already has. Welp, since the thread might not last the day...

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 1, 2016

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Any Kraut-speakers ITT know the pronunciation of Sylt? My dumb English-speaking mind says it should sound like "Silt" but I assume that's wrong.

It's a ü.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

An informative article looking into the past of counter insurgency tactics.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 1, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It actually is the IPA symbol /y/, a high mid rounded vowel.

Basically, make the sound in "heat" a couple of times, then make the sound in "hoot". Can you feel how the first sound is farther forward in your mouth than the second sound? What you want to do is bring the second sound about half-way forward towards the first sound, while keeping your lips rounded. Make sense?

And fyi the IPA for the word is /zylt/.

PS this is why everyone should take Intro to Linguistics.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

I've been reading a book that's on Insurgency and Radical Islamism. It's called "The Management of Savagery." It's supposedly written by the head of ISIS and is basically a book on how to run an Insurgency. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it, so I'll stay on the safe side.

Edit: Just checked, the Abu Bakr who wrote this is not the same Abu Bakr who runs ISIS.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder what Abu Hajaar wrote.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

it seems to be a fools errand for precisely the reason noted in the article:

"One basic difference between insurgency and counterinsurgency is that the insurgent starts out with nothing but a cause and grows to strength, while counterinsurgent often starts with everything but a cause and gradually declines in strength to the point of weakness"

successful tactics/ideas seem to only apply narrowly(protected villages in malaya, which didn't work in kenya) or scale poorly(combined action patrols in vietnam, seluous scouts in rhodesia(a bit of a stretch)). its interesting that the author notes how barbarity(torture, mass/indiscriminate killings) crept into the counter-insurgents toolbox. its kind of the one hallmark of a *counterinsurgency: they tend to end up doing terrible things to the people of the country in question.

edit: the rational actor thing is interesting as well. im not as well versed in this but americans tend to like to break the world down in classes or stratifications or rankings etc. each individual within that class or rank is interchangeable with another but has distinct characteristics from those in other classes or groups. its, supposedly, how we like to view the world.

vains fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 1, 2016

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Xerxes17 posted:

I wonder what Abu Hajaar wrote.

"On the management of hot brass and RPG backblast"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Interesting article, but I had to chuckle a bit at the end:

quote:

And David Petraeus is tipped by some to be the next US president but one.

Yeah, about that...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

it seems to be a fools errand for precisely the reason noted in the article:

"One basic difference between insurgency and counterinsurgency is that the insurgent starts out with nothing but a cause and grows to strength, while counterinsurgent often starts with everything but a cause and gradually declines in strength to the point of weakness"

successful tactics/ideas seem to only apply narrowly(protected villages in malaya, which didn't work in kenya) or scale poorly(combined action patrols in vietnam, seluous scouts in rhodesia(a bit of a stretch)). its interesting that the author notes how barbarity(torture, mass/indiscriminate killings) crept into the counter-insurgents toolbox. its kind of the one hallmark of a *counterinsurgency: they tend to end up doing terrible things to the people of the country in question.

edit: the rational actor thing is interesting as well. im not as well versed in this but americans tend to like to break the world down in classes or stratifications or rankings etc. each individual within that class or rank is interchangeable with another but has distinct characteristics from those in other classes or groups. its, supposedly, how we like to view the world.

I think that the expectation of one universally applicable strategy is missing that it's really important to engage with what makes the insurgency tick and what makes people in the population angry enough to join the insurgency, as well as what would encourage the population to stay and encourage the insurgents to stop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adam Curtis is a ding dong and people take his poo poo way too seriously.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Cyrano4747 posted:

Unless somebody does this work for me it literally will not happen.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Adam Curtis is a ding dong and people take his poo poo way too seriously.

:justpost:

e: specifically about the article in question, and I guess counterinsurgency in general

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 2, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Adam Curtis: The Loving Trap of Pandora's Nightmares

100 Years Ago

It's the 25th of April. Military efforts having failed, General Townshend is now trying to bribe his way out of Kut. We'll see how that goes. We'll also see how BEF Intelligence goes; right now it's expending considerable effort in trying to work out which conscript class the German army is sending to the front, and for very good reasons. Grigoris Balakian goes a-workin' on the railroad; E.S. Thompson continues the safari to nowhere; Louis Barthas passes through a destroyed village that's fast rebuilding itself; and the results of Maximilian Mugge's medical board have come through.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Unless somebody does this work for me it literally will not happen.

I've got some time over the next week so there's a chance I might actually try to do something like this, if no one else is up for it.

Edit: Though it might be easier if everyone just quoted their favorite posters/posts.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 2, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've got some time over the next week so there's a chance I might actually try to do something like this, if no one else is up for it.

Edit: Though it might be easier if everyone just quoted their favorite posters/posts.

You can do half of it by just displaying all posts from the superstars who are droppign those high content serial posts

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanqol posted:

They used a missile to deliver mail? What? Why?

Because it was loving awesome.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just emptyquote the best HEY GAL story for the next OP.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Just emptyquote the best keldoclock story for the next OP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

New OP:

Welcome to the military history thread!

Shut the gently caress up Keldoclock.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That clock is stopped now. Sleep well, sweet general and may angels of (something something military puns)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Greatest thread, a shining beacon in this dark alley of the internet.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

New OP needs best quotes from keldoclock and fred leander.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Let's not forget our old friend :agesilaus::

Agesilaus posted:

Politically, culturally, economically, and socially, many modern societies are flawed in certain respects compared to ancient societies like that of Sparta. Modern America, for example, is oppressed by the nobility clause, does not have an explicit class-based society, and in many ways is governed and controlled by low class people given over to money. Importantly, the institutions are designed to be vulgar and are beholden to lower class interests.

Culturally and philosophically, many modern people are in a worse position than learned Hellenes, where they are given to false moral and religious teachings. Christianity is of course ancient, but if we're talking about the heights reached by humans, then it remains that the most correct and helpful moral texts and cultural practices come from Ancient Greece and China. Indeed, the most valuable texts on other topics, such as politics and law, all come from the ancient world; their breadth of experience and knowledge when it comes to such matters is not rivalled by the rather simple and vulgar modern democrats. In some ways the modern is to be pitied, without the classics he is left a narrow minded and blinkered sort who can hardly imagine a world of such freedom and power as the ancients experienced.

I could go on and on, really, but each example is another discussion in and of itself. There are many times when people will disagree as to whether something is better or worse now, and it will have to be debated. Point is, in some ways many modern societies and people have risen above the ancients, and in other ways many modern societies and people are inferior to their learned ancestors.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that guy was some kind of Dark Enlightenment type before that became the delusion of choice for internet wackos.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 2, 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The nobility clause: truly, the very root of oppression.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So that's what that's from

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, that guy was a hoot and a half.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I forgot about keldoclock for a bit, may his awful posts live forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

EvanSchenck posted:

It should sound more like "Zoolt" (not a perfect representation, but close).

If someone told me he came from "Zoolt", I would assume it's an alien trying to tell me it comes from planet Zoolt.

Then again, I've never in my life heard an English speaker correctly pronounce "ü", so maybe I'm a bit unfair. :v:

• Locked thread