Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DreadLlama posted:

I would add to this:

The chargeup + jump sequence represents a large~ish contiguous chunk of player downtime. It would be handy if the jump sequence did not pull the player out of the galaxy map / systems menu / galnet. Is there a reason why they make you sit there and watch the jump sequence instead of allowing the player to do something else?

Conceivably the decision to not give any guarantees as to where you land in relation to close binaries and/or not to auto-cancel the throttle. Enough people would fly into stars and explode to eventually force :frontear: to kick you back into the cockpit on landing regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

tooterfish posted:

I'm not too sure about this. People almost always seem gravitate towards the most efficient grinding, sometimes to the point of utter self loathing. I think it's a psychological kink we have as a species. It's why gamification is a thing, we'll subject ourselves to the most tedious poo poo ever as long as some imaginary numbers go up.

When CQC came out, a lot of first reactions were "it's really fun, but there's no point in doing it because you don't earn enough credits!"

This is so very true but I didn't realize how bad it was until GTA Online.

IN GTAO one of the primary ways to earn levels and cash was to do contact jobs, jobs that contacts would be offered to you by contacts and once you did them once they would end up on a big list so you could repeat them at will. New jobs opened up from the beginning of the game to the 80 level range slowly expanding the list of available jobs to 100+

The problem is that the jobs had wide pay disparity for the effort they took. Some of the worst jobs, offered by Simeon, would pay 1200 for 6-10 minutes to finish it meaning an hourly return of 10k an hour. Better jobs averaged 50k an hour or so with the best jobs, of which there were only maybe 1 or 2 would pay 150k an hour. People would grind the job Rooftop Rumble over and over and over and that's the only job they would do. It was soul crushing.

Rockstar then rebalanced the pay of all of those jobs so no matter what job you did you could make 100k an hour if you had half a brain. You could pick any job and do it and make solid pay. 90+% of the jobs pays more to substantially more than they used to so you could play whatever you felt like and have a lot more fun doing it.

People still complain to this day that the update was a nerf because the one single soul crushing job that was repeated to nausea paid less now, even though almost everything else was increased. loving people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

That's just it - there are no features. There are only more ships, and while I love spaceships, once you have a decent jump range having different ships doesn't open up any new gameplay at all.

The more expensive ships play substantially differently from the cheaper ships. If you don't think there's any difference in gameplay between the Eagle and the FAS, or between the Hauler and the Python, I dunno what to tell you

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

Conceivably the decision to not give any guarantees as to where you land in relation to close binaries and/or not to auto-cancel the throttle. Enough people would fly into stars and explode to eventually force :frontear: to kick you back into the cockpit on landing regardless.
I'm hoping they'll sort out the "arriving inside an object" thing eventually, it makes the game seem really amateurish when you drop inside a station's mesh. Maybe once walking in ships arrives and they can't guarantee people will be sat in the chair ready to panic once they exit hyperspace/supercruise. I'd fully expect pushback from the brown sea though. :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

The more expensive ships play substantially differently from the cheaper ships. If you don't think there's any difference in gameplay between the Eagle and the FAS, or between the Hauler and the Python, I dunno what to tell you

They fly differently, but at the end of the day you're still either pointing the ship at mans and shooting them or flying through mailslots. It's different but I wouldn't call it feature gating. Ultimately I stopped bothering much with new ships, because once I'd got over the sweet new cockpit I was always disappointed. I'd let the feeling of progression trick me into expecting anything other than the fact that this one kills faster or that one can't take on an anaconda.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm hoping they'll sort out the "arriving inside an object" thing eventually, it makes the game seem really amateurish when you drop inside a station's mesh. Maybe once walking in ships arrives and they can't guarantee people will be sat in the chair ready to panic once they exit hyperspace/supercruise. I'd fully expect pushback from the brown sea though. :v:

I'm really of two minds about it. On the one hand, yeah, it would be really neat if there was some collision logic to where you land. On the other hand, until (if ever) they implement some kind of deep space threat, those close landings are really the only excitement you ever get out of exploration. Looking at the star map preview and figuring out whether that indistinguishable smear of stars is worth the risk/effort to go in there and have a look represents half of the risky choices you're ever faced with (the other being "can I avoid crashing on this high-gravity planet?”).

Maybe if they made it as a risk vs. effort choice — you can choose to jump in at a safe distance, but that means you land 100k ls away from everything. So while you can certainly land safely honk the system, any scanning of more interesting stars and plants will mean you have to SC a looong way to get there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tippis posted:

Maybe if they made it as a risk vs. effort choice — you can choose to jump in at a safe distance, but that means you land 100k ls away from everything. So while you can certainly land safely honk the system, any scanning of more interesting stars and plants will mean you have to SC a looong way to get there.

I don't think they should add an option that is lovely and not fun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shine posted:

I don't think they should add an option that is lovely and not fun.

Arriving out in the middle of nowhere would be great for a "just travelling" mode, and also help with the 400 interdictions you get on your way back from Robigo. :haw:

But sure, if they add in some more interesting risk, the warp in hazard could just be cut completely since it's pretty silly to begin with.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
much rather be able to jump directly to any stellar body far, far too close

get around scans by popping in next to a station at 400 m/s and 800m from the mailslot :mrgw:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
That could be hilarious if you popped into normal space at planetary glide speeds from a random angle and had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid pancaking into the station at 2.5km/s.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Frags are wonderful :allears:

timn posted:

That could be hilarious if you popped into normal space at planetary glide speeds from a random angle and had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid pancaking into the station at 2.5km/s.

I wish you could glide longer on planetary approach. I want to glide down to NOE and just cruise above the surface until I smash into a space power line.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

On the other hand, until (if ever) they implement some kind of deep space threat, those close landings are really the only excitement you ever get out of exploration.
I don't think "excitement" is why people explore, to be fair. It's like the arguments you see on the official forums about how traders don't face enough risk and should get ganked by npcs more - "play the game your way" is pretty meaningless if all the ways to play involve combat.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Strategic Tea posted:

That's just it - there are no features. There are only more ships, and while I love spaceships, once you have a decent jump range having different ships doesn't open up any new gameplay at all.

It's kinda depressing that I can take months-long break from this game and check out the last two pages of the thread to see people talking about issues that apparently haven't advanced since the beta.

This game could have been so good.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I'm sorry, but this game is good.

e: :colbert:

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 1, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The core gameplay is fantastic, and everything else is minimally functional at best.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Voyager I posted:

The core gameplay is fantastic, and everything else is minimally functional at best.

Someone's a little grumpy about being bumped around too much!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Isn't there variety? If I want to shoot mans in powerplay, I naturally want to take a vulture. But this means 19+ jumps to get from where I parked my ratting ship to where there's men to shoot. Because I only like to watch the wormhole sequence when I'm exploring and not when I'm manshotting, I want to get to the nearest PP expansion system in 7 jumps or fewer. This means DBE or ASP.

Shooting NPCs in a vulture vs. in an asp is a very different experience. For a well-fit vulture, nothing short of multiple anacondas / clippers in a wing is a genuine threat. For myself, even a single anaconda is a risky proposition in a DBE. It is slow enough that even with full power to engines, I'll take enough hits to need full power to shields, which means less time with full power to weapons, which means taking more hits. It might not look it on paper, but this kills things a lot more slowly than this. You wouldn't think so right away what with 12 dps being a higher number than 8. But it turns out that "9 agility" is really really super important and lets you get away with crazy stupid stuff like getting right up on someone and shooting them nonstop in the powerplant for a minute straight without in turn taking a single shot. In fact I wonder if releasing the vulture wasn't a mistake. It's almost too perfect.

I guess it'd only be a problem if there were some sort of conflict of interest wherein frontier's funding were somehow related to ship balance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

I kind of worry that they'll never be successful, since when players are given a galaxy they'll all go farm Robigo because maximum ISK/hour

Well, it's not JUST that it's maximum per hour. It's also the fact that outside of things people call "exploits" even when not using the literal exploits, everything else is loving garbage.

I haven't even done any Robigoagogo stuff myself out of a combination of stubborness and lazyness. But I still barely touch the Bboards unless it's related to Reputation... And then were back to "Ugh, that's basically an exploit for WoW grind obsessives :rolleyes:" from the Average Elite Player, because anything that gives tangible progress past 1% every hour or two involves mission stacking or praying to the Bboard jesus for donations be it cash or easy supplies.

So of course their big announced in newsletter "improvement" to planetside missions, is to add hostile ships guarding outposts. Because oh poo poo, people are stacking outposts assaults!

... What? Escape pod missions are so buggy that even if you take them with a cargo hold full of escape pods you took four hours to fill fail literally instantly? Wait until 2.1 you entitled manchild, we told you were were GOING to fix it! Later.

Guess which point it was I finally started stacking planetary assaults long enough to to from Nothing to Viscount a while back.

EDIT: I would take way more Bboard missions just for fun, if I could guarantee a way to get "Legal" combat bboard missions. But the majority of the time, its either asking you to murder people that would make you wanted by the station and faction you are working for, or it's one of those missions that's a coinflip if your target is wanted or not.

Yeah yeah, bounties are an "Idiot tax". But that still doesn't change the fact they should make it easier to work for the people writing the bounty checks in an official combat capacity outside of RES farming or CZs. Instead of an entire Bboard filled with Empire Naval rank up missions asking you to murder Empire cops and Empire Miners, to prove your dedication to keeping the empire citizens safe.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 1, 2016

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
people keep complaining about missions as though they aren't being completely overhauled in a week

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TRON JEREMY posted:

people keep complaining about missions as though they aren't being completely overhauled in a week

How many times have they claimed that so far? I can remember Missions getting "completely overhauled" after beta, then again with powerplay at the very least. Neither of those times did they do poo poo about the missions paying like poo poo 99% of the time and gating the 1% that pays decently behind Elite rank. I know several people that bought ED and just want to make some money taking missions like they're supposed to (and like the game is telling them to), but they simply can't because the mission system is hosed. The lack of reward for grouping doesn't help either (and the fact that grouping came months after "release").

And they're understandably annoyed, because having a working mission system isn't rocket science. It's super basic. Many games have had decent missions - loving Freelancer nailed it years ago and that was a game made by Chris Roberts!. If Roberts can do it, how the hell has Elite not done it yet after how many months and an entire expansion?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 1, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
granted I only have a few hours into this game now, but I'm having fun with this game so far :kiddo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

And they're understandably annoyed, because having a working mission system isn't rocket science. It's super basic. Many games have had decent missions - loving Freelancer nailed it years ago and that was a game made by Chris Roberts!. If Roberts can do it, how the hell has Elite not done it yet after how many months and an entire expansion?

“Attempted by” is probably more accurate than “made by.”

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

How many times have they claimed that so far? I can remember Missions getting "completely overhauled" after beta, then again with powerplay at the very least. Neither of those times did they do poo poo about the missions paying like poo poo 99% of the time and gating the 1% that pays decently behind Elite rank. I know several people that bought ED and just want to make some money taking missions like they're supposed to (and like the game is telling them to), but they simply can't because the mission system is hosed. The lack of reward for grouping doesn't help either (and the fact that grouping came months after "release").

:nallears:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Except in this case their stated goal was to make missions worth running for more players than just people starting out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sedisp posted:

Except in this case their stated goal was to make missions worth running for more players than just people starting out.

Yeah but personally I doubt Frontier even knows what that even means. They stuck to their guns with power play and it's a thing that lots of people see as a pointless grind and that's after they walked back from the most heinous of things. Remember how there was only going to be 1 person as the top Power Play cmdr for each faction?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I've never played the game, what is it about the missions in Freelancer that makes them better?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I've never played the game, what is it about the missions in Freelancer that makes them better?

They work.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dead helpful that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Dead helpful that.

:D

Ok. What I mean is that they follow very simple templates, and that they do not break down at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason.

“Go kill dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> kill him, return to base -> "Good on you, have cash.”
“Go capture dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> blow him up and pick up the pod, return to base -> “Good on you, have cash.”
“Go blow up installation; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, installation is clearly marked -> blow it up and RTB -> "Good on you, have cash.”

You fail them if you do something obviously wrong, like blow up pods and loot drops you are meant to tractor and return, not because of some hidden background flag that flips out of nowhere without explanation when you've got 2 hours left on the mission clock. The objectives are clear and the method for fulfilling them are spelled out; the objectives are marked, so you know what to actually do when you get there; the objectives actually appear in space as expected, rather than bug out half the time. If you pick a difficult mission, you get larger numbers and/or higher-levelled opponents; pick an easy one and you get fewer and lower levels.

The system is, in short, robust and logical, even if (or maybe because) the missions themselves are fairly simplistic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

:D

Ok. What I mean is that they follow very simple templates, and that they do not break down at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason.

“Go kill dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> kill him, return to base -> "Good on you, have cash.”
“Go capture dude; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, dude is there -> blow him up and pick up the pod, return to base -> “Good on you, have cash.”
“Go blow up installation; here is a waypoint” -> go to waypoint, installation is clearly marked -> blow it up and RTB -> "Good on you, have cash.”

You fail them if you do something obviously wrong, like blow up pods and loot drops you are meant to tractor and return, not because of some hidden background flag that flips out of nowhere without explanation when you've got 2 hours left on the mission clock. The objectives are clear and the method for fulfilling them are spelled out; the objectives are marked, so you know what to actually do when you get there; the objectives actually appear in space as expected, rather than bug out half the time. If you pick a difficult mission, you get larger numbers and/or higher-levelled opponents; pick an easy one and you get fewer and lower levels.

The system is, in short, robust and logical, even if (or maybe because) the missions themselves are fairly simplistic.

Sorry, I just had a moment of irony when I remembered the vitriol surrounding that game, it's development, and everything associated with it when it came out. Now it's an example of a working product...

:barf:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It would have been super cool early on when I was putzing about in an adder if 'harmless' bounty missions did not pit you against loving anacondas and pythons 90% of the time. I remember considering myself lucky if I only got a master piloting a loving cobra.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
A 100% chance to find your assassination target when you warp into system would make me actually consider doing assassination missions.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
To be honest most of that stuff is what they specifically say they're fixing this update. Will have to see of course.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Alright i've come back apparently just in time for A: massive helpings of diamond frog action and B: big huge patches very soon?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DatonKallandor posted:

How many times have they claimed that so far? I can remember Missions getting "completely overhauled" after beta, then again with powerplay at the very least.
They did overhaul missions after beta, by disabling all the short timer/high payout ones.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One thing I think I've seen in the dev livestreams was a clock in your cockpit instead of needing to go to the galaxy map to find out what time it is.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing I think I've seen in the dev livestreams was a clock in your cockpit instead of needing to go to the galaxy map to find out what time it is.

I wear a watch, ya its an archaic form of time keeping but it works.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

1500 posted:

I wear a watch, ya its an archaic form of time keeping but it works.

Does it show the in-game time, like "meet me in system at 16:42" mission guys but of course they won't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

IAmTheRad posted:

Does it show the in-game time, like "meet me in system at 16:42" mission guys but of course they won't show up.

Math

• Locked thread