Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My cousin is going to be building out his home theater soon, and he asked me if the Epson 5030UB was a good projector. Anyone have/used to have that particular model and could comment on it? Is there something better he could get around that price (roughly $2k), or is the 5030UB a solid option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Solid. Wish I had one.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

teagone posted:

My cousin is going to be building out his home theater soon, and he asked me if the Epson 5030UB was a good projector. Anyone have/used to have that particular model and could comment on it? Is there something better he could get around that price (roughly $2k), or is the 5030UB a solid option?

Have one and love it. Pull the trigger.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wolfbiker posted:

Solid. Wish I had one.

ShotgunWillie posted:

Have one and love it. Pull the trigger.

He's now considering a Sony VPLHW40ES. If you had a choice between the Epson and that Sony, would you still pick the Epson?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

teagone posted:

He's now considering a Sony VPLHW40ES. If you had a choice between the Epson and that Sony, would you still pick the Epson?

Hard choice. I think that the Sony is marginally better reviewed and might have slightly deeper blacks in a perfectly controlled room, but that the Epsons additional brightness makes it more appropriate for a room that is not a completely dedicated home theater. Plus it has rebates for a free lamp!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Has Sony fixed their contrast fade on their SXRD chips?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 5, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Coming in a few days late but I've owned a 5030UB for close to 3 years and love it. It is a solid PJ for the price.

That said if I were buying new today I'd buy the Sony. I have a friend with one and it's oh so slightly better (we both have dedicated HT rooms and did full spectrometer calibration on our PJs/screens) plus it has much lower input lag, making it the better choice for big screen gaming. The biggest difference though, to me, is the Sony is much quieter. Also it's black and blends in more, though that depends on your room color.

If you see them for the same price, get the Sony. If you find the Epson cheaper, get it. Honestly they are both really good and tops in their price range.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ixian posted:

Coming in a few days late but I've owned a 5030UB for close to 3 years and love it. It is a solid PJ for the price.

That said if I were buying new today I'd buy the Sony. I have a friend with one and it's oh so slightly better (we both have dedicated HT rooms and did full spectrometer calibration on our PJs/screens) plus it has much lower input lag, making it the better choice for big screen gaming. The biggest difference though, to me, is the Sony is much quieter. Also it's black and blends in more, though that depends on your room color.

If you see them for the same price, get the Sony. If you find the Epson cheaper, get it. Honestly they are both really good and tops in their price range.

Speak of the devil:

I am moving and just pulled the trigger on a JVC RS400 today after looking at them for a while. It is a league above the Sony and Epson and also a league above in price (more than double).

Not to turn this in to a sales post but this means I will be selling my 5030UB, which is still excellent, at a nice discount. Perfect shape, about 350 hours on current bulb (out of 2000h). If you or your brother are interested let me know. I'll throw in a couple RF 3d glasses with it.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ixian posted:

Speak of the devil:

I am moving and just pulled the trigger on a JVC RS400 today after looking at them for a while. It is a league above the Sony and Epson and also a league above in price (more than double).

Not to turn this in to a sales post but this means I will be selling my 5030UB, which is still excellent, at a nice discount. Perfect shape, about 350 hours on current bulb (out of 2000h). If you or your brother are interested let me know. I'll throw in a couple RF 3d glasses with it.

dammit why can't you be in canada :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Guitarchitect posted:

dammit why can't you be in canada :(

Snow? Cheap beer? Too much hockey? Rush on the radio? Tim Horton's on every corner?

(Sorry, I love Canada, but obviously don't get up there enough).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
JVC just about crushes and curb stomps everything, but yeah, pricey. I have an X700R, and boy, it's quite amazing. It retailed for around 7500 but I got a refurb for 5000, no known defects and has been going strong for 1500 hours. I'm going to wait a few years once the 4k standard is ironed out before getting one again, JVC has sold me on what they are doing, I never thought JVC would be good, but this is their toy since they do simulator projectors.

Right now I can run 4k discs through it, but I can't take advantage of the wider gamut or HDR.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 11, 2016

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just scooped one of these http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-X255.htm for $30. Did I do alright? I wasn't really planning on starting a home theater or anything, but what am I looking at for getting a screen/sound setup on the cheap to go with this?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sextro posted:

Just scooped one of these http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-X255.htm for $30. Did I do alright? I wasn't really planning on starting a home theater or anything, but what am I looking at for getting a screen/sound setup on the cheap to go with this?

Honestly on this sort of budget I'd get a can of the wall paint that replicates a screen and hook it up to a DVD / retro gaming library. Could be a fun little nook.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Not a terrible choice, no. It was a decent projector 10 years ago.

Mediaphage is right, project it on a wall, preferably white. Or paint it. If you want to get a screen that isn't terrible and you can upgrade PJs to use later (if you like it, you will probably upgrade at some point) try an Elite or Silver Ticket on Amazon. They cost more than that PJ you got for sure ($200 USD is a starting point) but they are basically the entry level for screens that don't suck.

Screens make a BIG difference with PJs. You don't have to spend thousands on a Stewart, etc. (unless you spent that or more on the PJ) but even a decent quality one will improve the image. With that PJ, or most budget ones, go for something with a higher gain, maybe 1.3-1.5.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Perfect, my space is nothing but giant blank white walls. Not kidding.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Got a Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p Projector for sale in SA-Mart if anyone is looking to buy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776925

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I'm actually looking at replacing my tv with one of the UST projectors. The LG PF1000u is looking really appealing (PF1500 is the other one--if its noticeably better than the ultra short throw), the super short throw means I won't have to get a component rack, and move the sofa, loveseat, chairs, and everything else. The room it would be going in doesn't have the highest ceilings, and there are ceiling fans that hang down low enough to cause an issues with mounting a projector. It's also not a super dark room during the day. I understand that there will be some issues with daytime viewing, and I'm ok with that, there isn't really much in my price range that will beat the Panasonic V10 that is slowly dying. The LG's are really appealing because of the LED aspect, being lower cost, and temperature to run. My house doesn't have central air.

Should I just get the BenQ and be done with it? I would need to completely reconfigure the room, and get a component rack for the rest of the equipment.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I would not buy a w1070 for television use if you have anything other than a HEPA filtration system in your house. When used for long hours the cooling clogs up and the picture quality goes to utter poo poo.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Well that is very good to know. My house gets super dusty (its an older house, and I have dogs--it gets super dusty no matter how many times a week I vacuum)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

alternate.eago posted:

Well that is very good to know. My house gets super dusty (its an older house, and I have dogs--it gets super dusty no matter how many times a week I vacuum)

All projectors can have problems with dust, it's not something particular to the 1070. I don't know what is going on in Revmoo's house but this isn't something most PJ owners have much trouble with, generally speaking.

That said if your house really is "super dusty" you need to consider that all PJs A) Have large lenses that can collect dust on the outside and B) heat the bulbs up quite a bit meaning they have fans that suck outside air in through filters to cool them.

Like I said, I don't think the 1070 does any better or worse job at this. Like most lower-end models it's a little loud at full fan and doesn't include an automatic lens cover (it does have a cap you can use) but that's about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Uh jesus you guys, you're breathing that poo poo. Maybe you should look into better air filtration before buying a projector?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Having a roomba helped too. I know they're pricey for most people, but it's paid itself in my book by removing a brick of dust from the house each day, which means I replace the furnace filter less frequently and can use a finer weave.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ixian posted:

Like I said, I don't think the 1070 does any better or worse job at this.

I got 13 months out of my w1070. Even in a dusty house I have a hard time believing that is par for the course.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

I got 13 months out of my w1070. Even in a dusty house I have a hard time believing that is par for the course.

Well, it isn't :) The 1070 was (is) one of the most popular budget PJs of the last 5 years due to price, solid picture, decent placement options (for a budget PJ) thanks to its throw and limited lens shift, and very low lag in gaming mode. Tons of people have one and in fact many still prefer to find one used (or buy new) than go with its successor, the 1080.

If yours lasted 13 months you either got a problem child or your environment is way dustier than you are thinking.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I live in a 70 year old home with my W1070 in a dusty basement and I've had no issues. Had it going on three years now.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So any thoughts on the LG PF1000u (the PF1500 is the other one, if its way better to go conventional throw distance). The LED bulbs are really appealing to me, for a TV replacement.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy (or watch for a sale on) the Sony VPL-HW40ES? I'm not sure if I care about authorized or un-authorized retailer, but I can't find any authorized retailers online, and I'm not sure how I would even find one where I live. I looked on Sony's website and there is like one reseller in the whole state of Kentucky.

I want to wait until the VPL-HW45ES comes out and see if there are any deals, or maybe just get the 45ES.

edit: Just got done reading some more, it looks like the MSRP for the VPL-HW45ES is $1999. I think I will go for one of those instead. Now I just need to decide if I should wait for some reviews or just buy it ASAP.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 7, 2016

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
I have a very specific application for a projector, and looking for recommendations. This is for my wedding, so really a one-use application. We assume that if we purchase anything for this space (which is pretty big), it won't work in our apartment (which is pretty small). So, we're more likely to rent something appropriate, or go through a DJ. See below:

What's your budget?

Hard to say. We're interested in renting. Some DJ's also have projectors and we'd like to know if what they have is sufficient. Some DJ's that don't have projectors have offered to buy one and either charge us a rental fee or charge us nothing extra (and they now have a projector they can add to their equipment roster). So I don't want to rule anything out necessarily, but I know it can't get too crazy. If I absolutely have to give a number, I can dig around.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?

Static images during much of the event, but during karaoke, have video from the karaoke projected. Person singing will have their own monitor, but this is so the rest of the crowd can participate.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer

We have about 25 feet x 25 feet of wall to project on. Projector distance from wall will be about 20 feet.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)

See wall dimensions and projector distance from wall above.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

Project will be place on a platform attached to the wall about 20 feet up.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

K posted:

I have a very specific application for a projector, and looking for recommendations. This is for my wedding, so really a one-use application. We assume that if we purchase anything for this space (which is pretty big), it won't work in our apartment (which is pretty small). So, we're more likely to rent something appropriate, or go through a DJ. See below:

What's your budget?

Hard to say. We're interested in renting. Some DJ's also have projectors and we'd like to know if what they have is sufficient. Some DJ's that don't have projectors have offered to buy one and either charge us a rental fee or charge us nothing extra (and they now have a projector they can add to their equipment roster). So I don't want to rule anything out necessarily, but I know it can't get too crazy. If I absolutely have to give a number, I can dig around.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?

Static images during much of the event, but during karaoke, have video from the karaoke projected. Person singing will have their own monitor, but this is so the rest of the crowd can participate.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer

We have about 25 feet x 25 feet of wall to project on. Projector distance from wall will be about 20 feet.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)

See wall dimensions and projector distance from wall above.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

Project will be place on a platform attached to the wall about 20 feet up.

For this use case, unless they are charging a rental fee of $500+ (which would be outrageous) you are better off renting from a DJ. You'll be paying not only for the equipment rental but also (and more importantly) for not having to deal with the hassle of setting up and running the thing before, during, and after your wedding. Presumably you're going to have enough poo poo on your mind. Don't pass it off to a random cousin or buddy either, unless you want even more stress.

If you absolutely want to go DYI, look in to PJs meant for churches - a bigger slice of the PJ market than most people think. ProjectorPeople.com has a whole section on "House of Worship" PJs. They are meant for exactly the kind of thing you are talking about - large static images (or at least not home theater-type video) in well lit rooms.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 26, 2016

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Ixian posted:

For this use case, unless they are charging a rental fee of $500+ (which would be outrageous) you are better off renting from a DJ. You'll be paying not only for the equipment rental but also (and more importantly) for not having to deal with the hassle of setting up and running the thing before, during, and after your wedding. Presumably you're going to have enough poo poo on your mind. Don't pass it off to a random cousin or buddy either, unless you want even more stress.

If you absolutely want to go DYI, look in to PJs meant for churches - a bigger slice of the PJ market than most people think. ProjectorPeople.com has a whole section on "House of Worship" PJs. They are meant for exactly the kind of thing you are talking about - large static images (or at least not home theater-type video) in well lit rooms.

Got it. Thanks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Any recommendations for manufacturers or models of retractable home projector screens? Looking for around a 100" screen and the only setup that makes sense in my new den is over the sliding glass door to the outside so need something retractable and I can't really finagle a permanant one in that space without doing some seriously screwy viewing angles.

Been using a silver ticket at our current place and we're using a benq from a few years back, so a decent midrange projector if that info helps.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Any recommendations for manufacturers or models of retractable home projector screens? Looking for around a 100" screen and the only setup that makes sense in my new den is over the sliding glass door to the outside so need something retractable and I can't really finagle a permanant one in that space without doing some seriously screwy viewing angles.

Been using a silver ticket at our current place and we're using a benq from a few years back, so a decent midrange projector if that info helps.

Silver Ticket is known for decent quality screens at low prices, and for that PJ (model?) you probably won't benefit from higher end screen material, so stick with ST.

Higher price screens will get you generally better screen material (that you probably won't notice) and may have better hardware i.e. smoother to pull down/put up, better tension bars to hold the screen perfectly flat when retracted, etc. I'd just check the Amazon reviews on the Silver ticket you want and if it doesn't look too bad go for it.

How are you blocking the light behind it from the sliding glass door? A simple curtain might not be enough and any light leakage at all there will be really distracting.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ixian posted:

Silver Ticket is known for decent quality screens at low prices, and for that PJ (model?) you probably won't benefit from higher end screen material, so stick with ST.

Higher price screens will get you generally better screen material (that you probably won't notice) and may have better hardware i.e. smoother to pull down/put up, better tension bars to hold the screen perfectly flat when retracted, etc. I'd just check the Amazon reviews on the Silver ticket you want and if it doesn't look too bad go for it.

How are you blocking the light behind it from the sliding glass door? A simple curtain might not be enough and any light leakage at all there will be really distracting.

I couldn't find a silver ticket retractable one, just fixed, or I'd stay with them as I really like my current one.

As far as behind, we were planning on a blackout curtain of some kind. My wife sews so it shouldn't be too hard to make something.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I couldn't find a silver ticket retractable one, just fixed, or I'd stay with them as I really like my current one.

As far as behind, we were planning on a blackout curtain of some kind. My wife sews so it shouldn't be too hard to make something.

Elite also makes decent low-cost screens and they have several retractable models. Monoprice does as well under their own house brand. I haven't seen either but reviews seem decent, check those two routes out.

For the curtains, your best bet is a darker cloth up front (black velvet is the obvious choice but depends if that will fly in your house day to day) backed by blackout cloth. You can get light-colored blackout cloth at most fabric stores, that way you have more flexibility in material type for the front and you won't have a black rectangle showing out the back when they are closed.

Other thing you need to think about is handling light leakage around the edges. That can be the most distracting thing of all and it's not easy to block with curtains that hang. Check AVSForum in the DYI section, they have lots of experience there.

I used to deal with curtains when my theater room had windows and it was a pain in the rear end to get right :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hmm - still trying to find the best projector for mobile VJ work.

Just got this advice:

quote:

one that has interchangeable lenses. Having the right throw distance is more important than anything else. New ones, with a normal, short and long throw lenses can cost 4
$4000-8000 dollars for the set. But frugal eBay shopping for a used one, you can keep that under a $1000

Can anyone tell me what model projector might be portable, have at least 3k lumens AND have 3 sets of lenses to swap out for normal, short and long throw? Ideally under 2k? Most of you guys are using projectors for home theater setups but I haven't heard much about professional use.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

sigma 6 posted:

Hmm - still trying to find the best projector for mobile VJ work.

Just got this advice:

Can anyone tell me what model projector might be portable, have at least 3k lumens AND have 3 sets of lenses to swap out for normal, short and long throw? Ideally under 2k? Most of you guys are using projectors for home theater setups but I haven't heard much about professional use.

That advice you got, he/she was talking about just the lenses - they are expensive. Hell, decent ones (not top end) that are new can cost more than a good PJ. You can find them cheap on EBay as mentioned from time to time but buyer beware. And PJs with swappable lens support are far more niche than HT/home PJs meaning be prepared to shell out even more, especially new. You may get lucky with all this and find a setup used - probably from another DJ. Also factor in bulb cost - super bright bulbs can cost $500 new, easily, and the half-life on them is generally 1000-1500 hours tops.

If you are going serious Pro and want to cover every use case you are probably going to spend well north of 2k even used. Or you could follow the advice I gave a little while ago above and check out PJs designed for church use, which have many of the same use cases. Those are generally very bright and most have pretty flexible single lens zoom/throw options.

You won't get the very best picture especially for video but consider your typical environment as a DJ - I imagine a lot of flashing lights, fog machine, and a crowd that (if you are DJ'ing correctly :) ) is more in to each other than raptly watching what you have on screen. As long as you aren't projecting a completely washed out image or something as pixellated as a 2005 YouTube video you'll probably be fine.

A good PJ oriented towards churches that costs between 1-2k new can handle that use case.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I've got two very old CRT projectors which I bought years ago back when I was a student and had the time and space to mess with them. Both of them have a little burn-in but are otherwise fully functional. I've hung onto them for a number of years because of a combination of me vaguely remember people still placing some value on the tubes and a hoarder's hatred of throwing something away that might one day be useful. However I'm about to move and I can't really justify keeping them anymore. Is there still a market for old CRT tubes or should I just throw them up on Freecycle for someone else to deal with?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Unless they're capable of HD resolutions I can't see anyone paying for them.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Check AVS Forum, which has a section dedicated to CRT projectors of all types. At the very least you'll quickly discover if there is a market for that brand/model of CRT. It's out there but very specialized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hey there, just moved into a new place. It's a railroad apt. with a big middle room that we are using as a livingroom space and my gf just stepped on the TV so now we are considering maybe grabbing a projector. We've got a maximum ~11.5' throw to a brick wall that is ~9' long and ~12' tall. Since it's the middle room in a railroad the room isn't super bright during the day (there are openings but its still a good 15' on either end of the walls to this room before you hit a window) and at night it is basically totally dark, so it seems like a decent environment for one.

If we wanted to get something decent for under a grand what should we be looking at (the lower the better, honestly)? Assume we will save up and buy a decent screen in a couple of months and live with lovely picture on a sheet or the brick or whatever for now. Already have audio covered.

What's your budget? - Sub 1k for the projector, lower the better.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do? - Probably just movies and tv from a Roku, possibly stuff from a computer at some point but don't sweat it for now.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer - Don't really care as long as it fits on the wall but just from sitting on the couch and looking at the wall it seems like maybe ~100" would be good.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?) - Eventually yes, but we don't have one now and would rather get minimum viable projecting going on our budget and save up for the screen for later purchase.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement? - None, we've got exposed rafters and can hang from there without issue.