Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

i get calling it if they wreck on the backstretch but if you're that close to the finish line you have to just let them race it out. no one is slowing down at that point

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's funny, now that I'm an admin of a Facebook that's getting rather large, I see a finish like that and where I used to laugh, now I groan

I save my laughing for the bans

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Just tuned in right when Logano got nailed and saw Poole cross the line and thought that's pretty cool and turned off... Huh that's ummm interesting call there NASCAR.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

it's funny, now that I'm an admin of a Facebook that's getting rather large, I see a finish like that and where I used to laugh, now I groan

I save my laughing for the bans

with great power etc

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the thing is that yes under the rule that is in place that was the correct call and winner, but it means the rules leave something to be desired when determining the "correct" winner. at the same time, NASCAR constantly changing rules just leads to more and more problems and issues and it's all poo poo you hear me it's all poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That was the right call, but it still sucks for Poole.

I'd be much more pissed if it led to a Buschwacker win.

We're gonna get a reactive "all bets are off" rule next year where once a magic line is crossed on plate tracks, we stay green, aren't we?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

We're gonna get a reactive "all bets are off" rule next year where once a magic line is crossed on plate tracks, we stay green, aren't we?

I think that'd be a good rule tbh because once the cars are that close calling caution isn't slowing anyone down.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Take everyone's HANS device away and you'll eliminate most of the dumb race ending wrecks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think that'd be a good rule tbh because once the cars are that close calling caution isn't slowing anyone down.

The idea is good, but the thought that it's NASCAR in charge of implementing and enforcing the rule is discouraging.

The idea in my head involves placing a line somewhere around the entrance to the trioval, at which we're green to the line.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 30, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CactusWeasle posted:

Take everyone's HANS device away and you'll eliminate most of the dumb race ending wrecks

look at this :allears:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

They're going to have to start color coding all these loving lines.

What a silly "sport" and a silly decision. Fun race, fun finish, goofy rule fuckery kinda ruined the finish for me.

But hey, Kyle Busch didn't win!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I don't think it's so much of a rules situation as it is an inconsistency when NASCAR throws the caution.

You see a race like the 2007 Daytona 500, where the Big One happens off Turn 4 and they let the leaders cross the line before throwing the yellow. Then you see a race like today, where two cars wreck and they throw the caution a second later.

Through their inconsistency, NASCAR gives us the impression that each wreck is different, so throwing the caution at different times is to be expected. But they're not - the only common denominator is that they happen on the last lap, when the race will be over the moment the leader hits the stripe anyway.

Again, the simplest solution is best: when the white flag flies, whoever gets to the stripe first gets the win. Confusing drivers and angering fans at the most critical moment of any race is unnecessary and completely avoidable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So wait.. jolo won?
I watched Poole win then turned it off.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

tater_salad posted:

So wait.. jolo won?
I watched Poole win then turned it off.

Sadler won.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just so I understand this correctly,

If it's overtime, and the driver in front gets past the line, all he had to do is slam his car into the wall and he wins?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
It never fails that Talladega brings out the dumbest NASCAR inconsistency and bullshit calls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

daslog posted:

If it's overtime, and the driver in front gets past the line, all he had to do is slam his car into the wall and he wins?

No because there's no consistency on what gets a yellow and what doesn't.

(not that there really can be consistency)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

who is responsible for calling cautions?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

be nice wicka posted:

who is responsible for calling cautions?

The TV producer.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

daslog posted:

The way I think it's supposed to be: Once the leader crosses the Overtime Line, the next flag ends the race, and he who leads at that point, wins. So to beat up the car and win, he'd still have to be in the lead when the caution flew somehow.

Another example is the NXS race at California Kyle was so pissed about earlier this year, where he had a flat RF, but retook the lead when Suarez(?) ran out of gas, yet finished 2nd anyway because they kept it green and Dillon got past him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCAR's in hurry-up mode, green flag moved up to 1:02PM Eastern.

Bobby Knight was interviewed by FOX News about his endorsement of Donald Trump this morning, which makes me wonder if Brian France is sitting in LA/New York/Charlotte/Daytona in a silent rage as to why he didn't get the same treatment.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
So far Danica and the Biff have crashed on pit road but didn't draw a yellow

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lmao mikey

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That was just special. :downsbravo:

e- I guess if you really want to place blame there, it probably goes to Logano for pushing the 78 into Waltrip.

Meant to post earlier and forgot, there's a rumor of Bobby Labonte possibly getting a full-time Truck ride next year. The NASCAR.com story didn't specifically name Trucks, but there's talk of Labonte being the first driver to win all three series championships.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 1, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

That was the most mild multi car crash with a barrel roll.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

nice roof flaps

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

nice roof flaps

Roof flaps should detect when a car is upside down

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Logano is on a roll today. Wonder how many more yellows he can create.

CactusWeasle posted:

Roof flaps should detect when a car is upside down

Mercedes has a bar that comes up in their convertibles when the detect a roll over. Maybe Nascar should look into that.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
LOL Junior bad

e: wasnt his fault but I think that car is haunted

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Go home, Junior.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CactusWeasle posted:

LOL Junior bad

e: wasnt his fault but I think that car is haunted
It was going "woooo woooo wooo" as he got out. Classic haunting.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Stay safe restrictor plate ghost.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
DW continues to be befuddled by cars getting right reared and going over

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I'm getting deja vu

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I picked 88-17-3-55 in Fantasy today. That was a good looking lineup until they dropped the flag. :suicide:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I AM HYPED AS gently caress FOR EVERYONE TO RUN SINGLE FILE TO THE END

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I AM HYPED AS gently caress FOR EVERYONE TO RUN SINGLE FILE TO THE END

Well that wreck will guarantee that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001