Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wait, the Marill line's attack is that low?

Geez, no wonder everyone always suggests using Huge Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's pretty much the only viable option for it. Thick Fat is a nice ability, but it's redundant with their typing. Sap Sipper is only half as effective and relies on Azumarill being able to switch in on a Grass attack. And Huge Power at least doesn't eat up a buff slot (though honestly buffing Azumarill is a waste of time in battles.)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Fun Fact: That Juggler Irwin was censored from Gold and Silver.
When defeated, he said "Oh no, I dropped my balls!"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm suspecting Ledian's design is more based on Super Sentai characters than boxers or wrestlers, given that its head is very reminiscent of Sentai character masks and the leader of a Sentai team is usually the one with the red outfit.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Do we get to pick names for the Nidoran, because if so I'd like to vote Tony and Maria. I'm a sucker for the anime.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Why is shiny Furret purple?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's pretty much the only viable option for it. Thick Fat is a nice ability, but it's redundant with their typing. Sap Sipper is only half as effective and relies on Azumarill being able to switch in on a Grass attack. And Huge Power at least doesn't eat up a buff slot (though honestly buffing Azumarill is a waste of time in battles.)

Huge Power shows how important Abilities are for a Pokemon. This one ability took Marrill's line from "useless joke" to "heavy hitter".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Huge Power shows how important Abilities are for a Pokemon. This one ability took Marrill's line from "useless joke" to "heavy hitter".

And then with Fairy typing and Play Rough it's a literal dragonslayer :black101:
I mean a Dragonite will still wipe it with Thunder, but it's still badass.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kikas posted:

And then with Fairy typing and Play Rough it's a literal dragonslayer :black101:
I mean a Dragonite will still wipe it with Thunder, but it's still badass.

Azumarill is the MVP of my water monotype in ORAS. Helps that I stuff even Protein I find down its throat though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Crosspeice posted:

: I found a useful item shopping, so I bought it with your money. Sorry!

"them."

Huh, we were that close to another item. Neat.

I think this comment is supposed to go one line earlier?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kikas posted:

Why is shiny Furret purple?

how the Gen 2 games determined shiny color is actually super weird, like it's based on some kind of color palette switching thing instead of gamefreak actually giving them a color, its hard to explain

its why so many of them have only slight color differences, the two palettes that were switched turned out to be similar

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ledian looks super cool for a Pokemon that's supposed to be bad.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I didn't know that, but it makes a lot of sense. Swapping palettes is pretty cheap, and it saves a ton of memory by letting them use only a single sprite for each pokemon.

Basically each sprite is a painting-by-numbers picture, and the palette just tells the computer which color goes with which number. Change the palette and hey presto it's a shiny pokemon!

Also shiny Furret is super cute in Gen VI, it's cream with pink stripes!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, you got Kenya, the Spearow. Most people will know this, but it's not at all required to deliver it to whoever wants it. You can keep it and it acts like a traded pokemon (increased exp) because you didn't catch it.

Does make me wonder what happens if you try to deliver it but have thrown the mail away.

Also, about that extra tall grass in the national park, you know how you can select cut from the menu while standing in front of normal grass and it'll be cut (removing all random encounters from that tile until you leave the area)? Doing that to the extra tall grass turns it into regular tall grass (which you can cut again if you like). I think that's a neat touch.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, about that extra tall grass in the national park, you know how you can select cut from the menu while standing in front of normal grass and it'll be cut (removing all random encounters from that tile until you leave the area)? Doing that to the extra tall grass turns it into regular tall grass (which you can cut again if you like). I think that's a neat touch.

They removed the grass cutting from Gen 4+. Probably to encourage people to battle instead of trying low level challenges.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

IAmTheRad posted:

They removed the grass cutting from Gen 4+. Probably to encourage people to battle instead of trying low level challenges.

Eh, more likely because it was a tedious pointless feature that nobody used and wasn't worth the time to code in. Not many people do low level runs and it's not useful in a normal run where just running from the fights you get or using a repel is the faster option if you don't want to deal with random encounters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, you got Kenya, the Spearow. Most people will know this, but it's not at all required to deliver it to whoever wants it. You can keep it and it acts like a traded pokemon (increased exp) because you didn't catch it.

Does make me wonder what happens if you try to deliver it but have thrown the mail away.
IIRC, it goes by whatever mon has the mail instead of taking Kenya back. So you could attach it to a Rattata or something and finish the quest.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

IIRC, it goes by whatever mon has the mail instead of taking Kenya back. So you could attach it to a Rattata or something and finish the quest.

Doesn't it lose the text if you try to return the mail to your inventory (instead of storing it on the PC)? Going from memory here, so I might be wrong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Will it still work if you make the Spearow evolve?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Will it still work if you make the Spearow evolve?

Yes. The letter is all that's important.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

but with Huge Power, Azumarill owns, hard. especially since it got the Fairy typing added, and has access to the only good physical Fairy move. To my surprise, in my first run of X, I ended up using Azumarill after trying out a couple of other Water and Fairy types. While they cycled out of the team, Azumarill proved its worth, and eventually it learned Play Rough and had a jolly good time wrecking Dragons.
looking it up, GODDAMMIT IT LEARNS PLAY ROUGH AT LEVEL 25 in ORAS. daaaamn, that makes it even more useful.
but yes, what a difference an ability makes now. A good ability turns a garbagemon into something viable, a bad ability sends it to the gutter. Like, nobody uses Regigigas, and Slaking is generally confined to doubles and triples because of awful abilities. Also, Archeops. ugh.

I'm excited about the National Park update. I felt like an idiot when I learned around the time HGSS came out how to reliably win the contest. I got obsessed with catching a Scyther or Pinsir when I was young, and was baffled as to why I kept placing second, third, or not placing at all. :saddowns:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Okay, after replaying X Version, I have my final thoughts on the game.
1. The level curve is all over the place. You can go from fighting level 20s to fighting level 37 Gym Leaders.
2. The game has FAR FAR too much backtracking. You go to Lumiose like 6 times for the story.
3. The Story is lackluster.
4. The postgame has no content.

Sadly, it seems that ORAS is the better of the two Gen VI games. If XY had more than the Battle Maison and ONE Postgame Legendary, there might have been something to it.
But nope.
Oddly, the harsh level curve applies well to Gen 2 as a comparison.
Often, Wild Encounters and trainers in this game will use pokemon 5-6 levels lower than Gym Leaders.
Grinding without the XP Share in XY is a chore in itself, due to the low levels of pokemon, and if you're not catching a lot of pokemon, no XP from that either,
so arguably, the level curve can be worse than Gen 2, due to that.

In all, if you're playing a Gen 6 game, go with ORAS, far more stuff to do after you beat the E4 and Champion.
Even Gen 2 has more postgame than X/Y.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Makes me wonder if the remakes of Pokemon GSC would have them link up to the GTS. They have code in there to link up to a cellphone it seems...so how much extra work would it cost to just link up to a special version of GTS and then go "yup, pay 15 bucks for this game now :D"

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm not sure what I should make of the fact that they're apparently skipping the third version of X/Y and heading straight into Gen 7.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

20th anniversary. Seems they thought XY is the complete Kalos experience, no improvements needed. Haha.

Spatula City posted:

I'm excited about the National Park update. I felt like an idiot when I learned around the time HGSS came out how to reliably win the contest. I got obsessed with catching a Scyther or Pinsir when I was young, and was baffled as to why I kept placing second, third, or not placing at all. :saddowns:

Hah, reliability in GSC... ooh boy.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think this comment is supposed to go one line earlier?

...uh, yep. Seems so. Not sure why it is like that. I'll fix it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

20th anniversary. Seems they thought XY is the complete Kalos experience, no improvements needed. Haha.

I feel like they actively had a Z planned but decided to go all in on gen 7 for, as you said, the 20th.
I mean even ignoring all the other clear loose-ends left in XY, just look at the mess that is Zygarde.

My one hope is they pull a GSC and have Kalos be a second region, even if it's trimmed a little

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

rannum posted:

I feel like they actively had a Z planned but decided to go all in on gen 7 for, as you said, the 20th.
I mean even ignoring all the other clear loose-ends left in XY, just look at the mess that is Zygarde.

My one hope is they pull a GSC and have Kalos be a second region, even if it's trimmed a little

If that's the case the new region would have to border Kalos. Germany? Belgium? Italy?

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

rannum posted:

Yeah, it's weird because they announced all these new forms and things for Zygarde for the anime, but nothing is coming of that for the games as far as we know. Unless Zygarde is going to be a thing on Sun & Moon

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I'm almost certain that all the advertising they did for Zygarde indicated that there was a Z version being designed at one point that got scrapped in the middle so they could pump out Gen VII for the anniversary.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Ever since 3rd Generation, there have been 2 'main' games per generation. With the exception of Gen 5, one of these 'main' games has been a remake from a previous generation.

Gen 3 has Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and fire red/leaf green.
Gen 4 has Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Heart and Gold/Soul Silver
Gen 5 has Black/White and Black/White 2. Gen 5 is the most unique, as there were no Pokemon in the first game that came from previous generations until you got the National Dex. Not to mention the best change in a Pokemon game ever, reusable TMs. It also did not have a 3rd version of the first game in the generation. Gen 6 followed suit.
Gen 6 has X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

The virtual console re-releases of Red/Blue/Yellow do not count as remakes. They did some changes but it's pretty much the same game as RBY.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

If that's the case the new region would have to border Kalos. Germany? Belgium? Italy?

could also be Spain, which I'd personally love since it's a cool cool place and also i'd love to run with the Tauroses in a videogame

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carbon dioxide posted:

PokEngland.

With the channel tunnel connecting the regions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MarquiseMindfang posted:

PokEngland.

With the channel tunnel connecting the regions.

That's actually not bad, it would be like the Railway emulated the Bullet Train between Johto and Kanto.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

That's actually not bad, it would be like the Railway emulated the Bullet Train between Johto and Kanto.

Given the map of kalos, where would the channel fit?
I'm thinking near the bottom of the map, what with all those rivers going nowhere.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 2, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Based on the actual England/France geography, I imagine it would come out on that little island in the upper left corner.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what anything in the region is.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Near as I can figure out, Calais should be right behind the pokeball factory.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Man, I played X twice and never liked it either time. Weirdly paced, and companions out the arse who I never seemed to enjoy.

The funniest it got for me was the girl going on a date and watching fireworks with you and then giving you the Protect TM.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Some Numbers posted:

Based on the actual England/France geography, I imagine it would come out on that little island in the upper left corner.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what anything in the region is.
Have a better map for your purposes.

Since the IRL tunnel comes out at Coquelles I'd guess it'll come out in Laverre?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 1, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I haven't seen all too much evidence that Sun and Moon will be a new region plus Kalos, mainly because I don't want Kalos to be an empty husk so the new region has some actual content.

I feel they are gonna do something real special for the 20th anniversary in Sun and Moon and it better be the Pokemon World Tournament, featuring practically every Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion, Rival and Protagonist in the past 20 years. Beautiful.

Also please timg those images, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

I haven't seen all too much evidence that Sun and Moon will be a new region plus Kalos, mainly because I don't want Kalos to be an empty husk so the new region has some actual content.

I feel they are gonna do something real special for the 20th anniversary in Sun and Moon and it better be the Pokemon World Tournament, featuring practically every Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion, Rival and Protagonist in the past 20 years. Beautiful.
A special Battle Frontier building where you fight all of the Pokemon professors, with all of them using the most broken non-legendary teams possible. Yes, even Professor Elm. :getin:

• Locked thread