Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If anyone needs an alt art Poe, I have an entire stack, I can peel one out to mail you. I imagine the list of people who play, post here and don't have one already is slim.

I'm a newbie and would love one if you have one. Don't have plat, but email is username at gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Can I get some goon opinions on which sets to buy if I'm super casual and just starting out? Picked up the TFA core set on sale and only three ships seems super limiting. Not going to be playing anyone but folks I have over to play, so I don't need to be competitive. Just want some fun abilities in a couple different styles.

I was thinking like a rebel aces pack and the tie interceptor with soontir fel? I read this article and he seems like a cool guy. I feel like buying the original core set wouldn't really shake it up much but I don't know enough about what's out there even.

The falcon has a ton of useful upgrades, and both the aces upgrades are solid. A Slave 1 and yt-2400 are good buys too, I think. Or buy what looks cool!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If anyone needs an alt art Poe, I have an entire stack, I can peel one out to mail you. I imagine the list of people who play, post here and don't have one already is slim.

Sent a PM!

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 1, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Otisburg posted:

Nope. Only in the Punisher so far.

That really sucks, TIE mk II is really cool and should be more available.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I went 3-1 and placed 4th behind two other 3-1 finishers who I beat in my 2nd and 3rd matches. MOV Magic I guess.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tequila Ranger posted:

I went 3-1 and placed 4th behind two other 3-1 finishers who I beat in my 2nd and 3rd matches. MOV Magic I guess.

On a similar note, I finished the Escalation tourney 2-2 and somehow got fourth place despite getting stomped my first two games because I nearly tabled my 150 point opponent. Nabbed two alt art VI cards and some acrylic ion tokens. First place got a challenge coin with an X-Wing on it though, which I need like I need air.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Current requests:

Some Numbers
Eimi
ro5s
Gerdalti
Aragaith
EnjoyThePureTrip
Sushi in Yiddish
overdesigned
siggy2021

I have addresses for Some Numbers, Gerdalti, and overdesigned. Sent emails/PMs to the rest of you. If the envelope is ticking that is normal. That is how Poe shows his love.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Trip report! Went to a local tournament today with the following:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Round 1 was a match against 3 Blue Squadron B-Wings with HLC. Two Fire control, one Advanced Sensors. One FCS with a Gunner riding shotgun. Lost Juno after a couple exchanges to a bad call in planning, but by that point Redline had crippled two B-Wings and between him and Vader the match was over. 1 Agility B-Wings and some crits dropping a pair of them to zero just left them unable to do much about Redline's ordinance barrages or Vader's auto-crit.

Round 2 ran me into a TIE Fighter swarm flown by the guy who came fourth overall. Howlrunner, Scourge, Mithel, and three Black Squadron all with Crack Shot. This one kicked my teeth in, but I managed to down three of the fighters for 49 points total before I went down. This was mostly my fault, I over committed before any of the obstacles could interfere with the swarm formation and ate poo poo as a result.

Round 3 was vs. an Imperial trip ace list, in this case Soontir, Vader, and Echo. Despite some crafty maneuvering by my opponent, 2/3rds of my list shot first and as soon as he left Echo exposed to try for a range 1 shot at Redline it was over. Took the match 100 to 0.

Round 4 went up against 4 TLT/Unhinged Thugs. This one had me anxious on my maneuvering and even playing stupid for a couple rounds (including one instance of misjudging and flying Juno into a rock to try and get into the range 1 donut hole. It didn't get me into range 1, either), but by the halfway point of the round I'd traded Redline for two dead Y-Wings and at that point both Advanced were able to stay out of the TLT range bands and finish off the last two for the win.

Final standing came out at 3-1 and second place overall.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

My wood X-wing trays arrived! I got these from someone on the Facebook custom x-wing group.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Trip reporrrrrrrrrt

Round One:

60 points, I was using Wedge + Luke and my opponent was flying two Scum Z's, N'dru with Adaptability and Ka'ato with Deadeye Chipped Concussion Missiles, and a TLT Spice Runner with Greedo.

I got whomped because during the initial exchange I banked Wedge instead of heading straight and wound up with Ka'ato just outside of Wedges arc and just a hair outside of range 1. It was the worst of both worlds, if I could have unloaded with both X-Wings at Ka'ato I probably would have vaporized him, instead Wedge got killed having accomplished not much. After that Luke hung on for a while and while I did a fair bit of damage it was all spread around. By the end of the game I had both Z's at 1 and 2 hull and killed the Spice Runner, but Luke got the death of a thousand cuts. Loss 23-60.

Round Two:

90 points, adding Dutch + TLT to my list. My opponent was flying a Palpshuttle, Howlrunner, Vader with title/ATC, and an Academy Pilot.

This one started strong but flagged in the middle. He expected me to go for Vader but instead I booked it the other direction and started beating up the shuttle. Unfortunately I had two lousy moments, one of which was being unable to finish the shuttle off when I'd hoped I could...Dutch rolled six blanks on two TLT shots back to back. I did eventually kill the shuttle but Wedge got worn down until I got popped by a range 1 Vader. All I needed to do was roll one evade or focus and I could have used Integrated Astromech but I blanked on that. Dutch took a pounding but hung on, and I killed the Academy Pilot and Howlrunner bit by bit...but the match went to time and he had Vader and I had Luke, and at the end he'd killed 3 more points of my stuff. This is the same guy I lost at the charity tournament to by going to time with Soontir and Wedge in an almost identical situation. Loss 59-62

Round Three:

120 points, adding Airen Cracken w/VI, Tracers, and Chips. My opponent was using mixed Rebels, an HLC/Advanced Sensors Keyan Farlander, Jan Ors w/Dorsal Turret, a Red Squad Veteran, and a Z blocker.

I won this one but felt bad, the guy I was playing had nearly gotten hit by a car on the way to the event and he was clearly rattled. Like me he'd lost his first two games and I could tell he was in a jittery, frustrated mood...I had to remind him that some of his guys moved before Dutch, for instance. Anyway, long story short he laid down an unfortunate barrel roll on Keyan and parked on a rock, the second time he'd done that today. The Z blocker died early but I flew Cracken like poo poo, just bumping all the time because I'm bad at close formation flying. After that I basically maneuvered my guys around and picked his ships off one by one, Jan first, then the Red Squad Vet. Keyan was the last to go, eating his final three damage and rolling a blank on the evade. He killed Dutch but I think that was it. Win 119-29.

Round Four:

150 points, adding stressbot Wes. My opponent was using mixed Scum, Torkil Mux w/TLT and Glitterstim, Guri w/FCS and Autothrusters and VI, Zuckuss w/Cloaking Device, FCS, Stygium Particle Accelerator, and PtL, Laetin Ashera with the title and an HLC, and Ka'ato (the second one, making this the second time I've ever seen someone use Ka'ato) with...I don't remember.

This one nearly went to the two hour time limit. I never want to manage ten ships' worth of target locks ever again. We started on opposite corners with a big ring of rocks in the middle, rocks which unfortunately he parked his Z and his Syck on as soon as we went for the opening exchange. I battered Ka'ato down but Torkil really hosed with me and Cracken died having never accomplished much of anything all game. What ensued was a big ol' furball as ships split off, joined back up, shot at one another...but he wasn't laying much damage on me and I was wearing him down bit by bit. Ka'ato died first, then Torkil (thank god), and by this point I still had Luke and Wes and Dutch at full health while Wedge was just missing his shields. I popped Laetin (damaged from his asteroid encounter) with a three-hit shot from Wedge that he blanked on defending, and while it took a bunch more maneuvering and bumping and swearing, Wes had laid enough stress on Guri to set her up for a killshot and Zuckuss was the last to die. Win 150-22.

Got fourth place (out of 10) as I said which I can't complain about considering how badly I did the first two rounds. MOV to the rescue. The overall winner was the Scum player who beat me in the first round, he added 4-LOM as a pseudo-stresshog and Manaroo and something else I can't remember. He even beat my buddy Josh's Palpshuttle OLeader Inquisitor+ list, though it came down to the wire.

In retrospect, I don't think I like Luke that much. Like, he's okay and he's durable, but for an Escalation tournament like this I think I'd rather forgo Predator on Wedge to start with and pair him with Wes instead of Luke. I feel like that would have been a stronger early outing and made up for the lack of Predator. Dutch did what he always does, but I admit I missed my bombs. Airen was just sorta there and didn't accomplish much, I think next time I'd give him Deadeye, Chips, and Missiles to see if I could squeeze a nice juicy hit out of him before he dies. Then I'd probably add Luke back in last, either with VI and an R2 unit (I rarely utilized R2-D2's regen tbh) or maybe Lone Wolf, I dunno. Actually no, I do know, I'd use VI because I don't want these games to need a closer, if that happens it's probably going to time and I'm probably losing.

I did make a point of trying to fly less predictably today and it seems to have worked, I took several opportunistic K-turns over rocks that worked out in my favor and I'll definitely be looking for ways to continue to keep things unpredictable going forward.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm horrible at figuring out international rates. I think around $5? Just an envelope with a bit of cardboard to protect it, unless you wanted to pay more for something sturdier.

I will try to connect addresses and whatever later tonight for the rest of you lot. If you have platinum, send me a PM with your info and stuff.

You said you've got/had a stack - although how many do you have left now? Since I'd be interested in PayPal'ing you money to be able to send one to Australia like Endman, although obviously if you start to run low, don't worry about me - although I use Poe a fair bit, I still prefer Wedge! :D
I'll send a PM to you with my details, in any case. Thanks for being a cool goon!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Current requests:

Some Numbers
Eimi
ro5s
Gerdalti
Aragaith
EnjoyThePureTrip
Sushi in Yiddish
overdesigned
siggy2021

I have addresses for Some Numbers, Gerdalti, and overdesigned. Sent emails/PMs to the rest of you. If the envelope is ticking that is normal. That is how Poe shows his love.

I'm another Australian who would love a Poe!l

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 2, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I love it when someone on Facebook complains that X-Wing's releases are too fast paced to keep up with. Let me introduce you to a little game called Star Trek Attack Wing, my friend.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

thespaceinvader posted:

Arg poo poo gently caress what do I bring to regionals tomorrow?
I'd really like to run my purple G1a and my painted N'Dru but I can't come up with a build that doesn't have a massively limp closing if the initial alpha fails.

I've been working on a very similar list in my head. Unfortunately I haven't put it on the table yet.

N'Dru Suhlak
Lone Wolf, Cluster Missiles, Glitterstim, Guidance Chips

Ruthless Freelancer
Boba Fett, Fire-Control System

IG-88B
Veteran Instincts, Fire-Control System, Heavy Laser Cannon, Autothrusters

Total 99 points

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've actually been kicking around some Scum ideas in my head since playing against a lot of Wave 8 stuff myself. I've played against a fair few G1A's but I've never really seen them make much of an impact, but after talking shop with my opponent earlier today something we hammered out is that Zuckuss with Cloaking Device, Stygium Particle Accelerator, and Juke has some hilarious potential. Decloak, snag an evade which triggers Juke, use Zuckuss' ability for an extra die on top of that.

He was using FCS but I think instead a better choice would be Dengar crew, aka Scum Predator. Like Predator it works anytime regardless of circumstances which is super useful on a ship with as much red in its dial as the Starfighter. The problem though is I'm worried about succumbing to B-Wing Syndrome where you wind up packing too much stuff onto a 1 Agi 8 HP platform and watch it all evaporate.

Zuckuss (37 points)
-Juke
-Dengar
-Cloaking Device
-Stygium Particle Accelerator

The cloak actually seemed pretty helpful the couple times he used it, and it can give the otherwise sluggish G1A a nice bit of pep. Decloak, boost two forward, then whip around with a 4 K-turn, you have an evade and Juke and Dengar rerolls. For a point more you can take the title/tractor beam if you want. The issue I run into here is what else should I build around this? I'm not a fan of Headhunter swarms, only own one Jumpmaster, Starvipers are too expensive. N'Dru with a Deadeye + Chips loadout is one possibility, I'd actually go Homing Missiles over Cluster Missiles for a potential 5 red shot at an evade-happy ace, and then? I'm leaning towards Kavil with an R4 + Blaster Turret and a compliment of seismic charges. This leaves me with some points left over, and so against my better judgement I'm leaning towards adding a Sensor Jammer to Zuckuss even though this puts him (with the title) at a 42 point premium.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

I've actually been kicking around some Scum ideas in my head since playing against a lot of Wave 8 stuff myself. I've played against a fair few G1A's but I've never really seen them make much of an impact, but after talking shop with my opponent earlier today something we hammered out is that Zuckuss with Cloaking Device, Stygium Particle Accelerator, and Juke has some hilarious potential. Decloak, snag an evade which triggers Juke, use Zuckuss' ability for an extra die on top of that.

He was using FCS but I think instead a better choice would be Dengar crew, aka Scum Predator. Like Predator it works anytime regardless of circumstances which is super useful on a ship with as much red in its dial as the Starfighter. The problem though is I'm worried about succumbing to B-Wing Syndrome where you wind up packing too much stuff onto a 1 Agi 8 HP platform and watch it all evaporate.

Zuckuss (37 points)
-Juke
-Dengar
-Cloaking Device
-Stygium Particle Accelerator

The cloak actually seemed pretty helpful the couple times he used it, and it can give the otherwise sluggish G1A a nice bit of pep. Decloak, boost two forward, then whip around with a 4 K-turn, you have an evade and Juke and Dengar rerolls. For a point more you can take the title/tractor beam if you want. The issue I run into here is what else should I build around this? I'm not a fan of Headhunter swarms, only own one Jumpmaster, Starvipers are too expensive. N'Dru with a Deadeye + Chips loadout is one possibility, I'd actually go Homing Missiles over Cluster Missiles for a potential 5 red shot at an evade-happy ace, and then? I'm leaning towards Kavil with an R4 + Blaster Turret and a compliment of seismic charges. This leaves me with some points left over, and so against my better judgement I'm leaning towards adding a Sensor Jammer to Zuckuss even though this puts him (with the title) at a 42 point premium.

Put Advanced Sensors on Zuckuss for that sweet sweet focus + k-turn, then fly three Y-wings with Autoblaster turrets. gently caress aces forever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The sad thing is I actually have three Y-Wings.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

The sad thing is I actually have three Y-Wings.

I have five :negative:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The TO who runs things at Dice Age wants to bring a six Ghost + Biggs list to some big 300 point event down at FFG's actual store, which is a level of lunacy I can hardly fathom.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kai Tave posted:

The TO who runs things at Dice Age wants to bring a six Ghost + Biggs list to some big 300 point event down at FFG's actual store, which is a level of lunacy I can hardly fathom.

I hope each Ghost had tactical jammers :getin:

That kanan + Biggs list was hilarious

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

I hope each Ghost had tactical jammers :getin:

That kanan + Biggs list was hilarious

Yeah, the idea is that he'd stick Biggs in the middle of a ring of Ghosts then simply trundle around like a flying killdozer formation, front Ghosts bumping and blocking while the ones further back vomit red dice everywhere and Biggs is Biggs. It's appropriate that this is for a 300 point tournament since that's also how many dollars it'll cost to make that list a reality.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Heads up to TTS league folks, I'm going to get the final league roster put together tomorrow or Monday, along with the week-by-week schedule. It's a busy weekend, or it'd already be done.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I got a couple games of TTS in tonight with some random guy just by searching for open games. It was pretty fun and not nearly as cumbersome as I found trying to learn VASSAL, although it definitely still has a rough edge or two.

Anyway, put me down for the league if there are still spots open, or if that bumps you into a weird odd numbered bracket, I can just be like an alternate to play against if someone drops out or can't make it. I'm in the group on steam already.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also if my memory is correct the guy who took first place ran a 102 pt list fml

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THE NEW OATH THREAD IS LIVE AND WAITING! :siren:

The Oath Thread, Season 7: Always Be Painting (Your Gaming/Figure Models)

Get your stuff painted! Be motivated! Win prizes!

The Oath Thread is a year-long thread (Today, the 1st of May to the last day of April 2017) that lets you collect points for painting your models each month. At the end of the year the points are totalled up and the top scorers get their pick of fantastic sponsor prizes from companies like KR Multicase, Wargames Tournaments and more!

You can paint one model at a time, or entire squads, teams or groups. You can drop in and drop out at any time if all you want to do is get your stuff painted, and the rules are easy to read and we're quite an inclusive bunch.

Drop in and say hi, and get your stuff painted!

(X-Wangs and repaints welcome!)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I also don't have one, if there's enough to go around. Located in the US.

I sent you a PM; I need your address.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Look what I found at the dollar store!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Endman posted:

I have five :negative:

...seven. I LIKE Y-WINGS, OKAY?

:shepspends:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of Y-wings, what are some good non-turret Y-wing lists? Ordnance/bombs, or title with Dorsals and whatever? I've realized I rarely use them because 4 TLT bores me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of Y-wings, what are some good non-turret Y-wing lists? Ordnance/bombs, or title with Dorsals and whatever? I've realized I rarely use them because 4 TLT bores me.

I don't know about lists but the classic non-turret Y-Wing build is the stresshog, but that relies on a unique astromech. Beyond that you can try using the title and something like an R2 Astromech or Unhinged Astromech to turn them into a chunky dogfighter.

Something I saw suggested elsewhere which seems kind of amusing is to give Horton Salm the title, R7-T1, and an Autoblaster Turret. He gets free rerolls on blanks at ranges 2-3, and at range one he gets to make two attacks, one at 3-red and the other at 2 with unblockable hits, and the mech lets him pick up target locks and also boost in response to his opponents' maneuvers.

I mean the real issue with trying to make a turretless Y-Wing list is you have B-Wings sitting right there.

edit; I should also say, as one of the thread's biggest proponents of using Bomb Loadout on Y-Wings, that I absolutely love it but I wouldn't necessarily make a list based around it. Then again who knows, it could be fun to experiment with.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Doubleposting for Y-Wings

What the gently caress is this list, I have no idea

Horton Salm
-BTL-A4 Y-Wing
-R2-D6
-Deadeye
-Proton Torpedoes
-Extra Munitions
-Autoblaster Turret
-Guidance Chips

Dutch Vander
-BTL-A4 Y-Wing
-R7-T1 (better synergy for target locking here)
-Ion Cannon Turret
-Bomb Loadout
-Seismic Charges
-Extra Munitions

Grey Squadron Pilot
-BTL-A4 Y-Wing
-R2 Astromech
-Ion Cannon Turret
-Bomb Loadout
-Seismic Charges
-Extra Munitions

100 points on the nose. Alternately swap out R7-T1 for a simple R2 Astromech and you can, if you happen to have two of them, upgrade the Seismic Charges to Thermal Detonators.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Fffuck I just tabled Dash/Lothal so hard with wedgefist that his Ghost didn't do a single point of damage. The first proton torpedo (after light TLT seasoning) gave Dash a damaged sensor array and a weapons failure :gonk:

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Trip report? Just finished up at Stele. Anyone else here before I head out? Wouldn't want to miss it because I forgot to ask before the event.

Brunas fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 1, 2016

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Is there a tabletop simulator how-to we can get added to the OP? I'm new to it and I'm sure a few others would like to see it posted there

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Langolas posted:

Is there a tabletop simulator how-to we can get added to the OP? I'm new to it and I'm sure a few others would like to see it posted there

In the meantime, this is a helpful video from the SAX Wing Steam Group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSTDqeao5dk

It was originally posted on reddit and gives a rundown of some of the features of the mod. The sound quality it complete and utter poo poo though but it's the best atm.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Look what I found at the dollar store!

want that poe case

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Undefeated with Wedgefist, took second on MOV. Beat Jumpmasters, OL/Whisper/Inq, ghost/dash. Protowned torpedoes

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 1, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Undefeated with Wedgefist, took second on MOV. Beat Jumpmasters, OL/Whisper/Inq, ghost/dash. Prownton torpedoes

What is your list? I don't know what Wedgefist is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jan with TLT, Adaptability, Nien Nunb, Moldy Crow
Wedge with BB8, Predator, Proton Torpedoes, IA
Biggs with R4D6, IA

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That is harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

Jan with TLT, Adaptability, Nien Nunb, Moldy Crow
Wedge with BB8, Predator, Proton Torpedoes, IA
Biggs with R4D6, IA

I'm assuming you have Biggs bodyguarding the HWK to keep it from getting annihilated right off the bat. That's always been my big issue with HWKs more than the dial, is their fragility.

• Locked thread