Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Danger posted:

Batman's whole thing is that he is Oedipus who never completed his complex.

He even gets turned on when Wonder Woman refers to him as a "boy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd be happy if the entire FF go over to Marvel but would settle for just Doom. He alone can be such an amazing villain for an event movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He even gets turned on when Wonder Woman refers to him as a "boy".

His pick up line is hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Those two are going to be sneak making out like prom night in the next movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phylodox posted:

So Fantastic Four just popped up on Netflix and I gave it a watch. After everything I'd heard, I had some pretty low expectations, and it still managed to disappoint. It really is just a mess of a movie. And not just the obviously tacked-on climax, either, although that did propel it to new heights of mediocrity. It all just fails to gel, and there were some astoundingly ugly scenes in there. Reed fighting the soldiers in the forest and then being confronted by Ben stood out in particular.

I was the opposite when I saw FF in the theater, I had heard so much about how it was the worst movie ever, and I didn't think it lived up to that. It's still a terrible movie but there are clear signs that Josh Trank did have an interesting movie at one point until the studio, for whatever reason, stepped in and caused the whole thing to go down the shitter. The fact that Trank of all people involved seems to get sole blame for that movie (and blame in really direct personal ways, like the repeated secondhand story about his dogs allegedly making GBS threads in a rental house or whatever) is still really puzzling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really liked the Doom from that movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Phylodox posted:

So Fantastic Four just popped up on Netflix and I gave it a watch. After everything I'd heard, I had some pretty low expectations, and it still managed to disappoint. It really is just a mess of a movie. And not just the obviously tacked-on climax, either, although that did propel it to new heights of mediocrity. It all just fails to gel, and there were some astoundingly ugly scenes in there. Reed fighting the soldiers in the forest and then being confronted by Ben stood out in particular.

I dunno I kinda dug it for about half its running time. I appreciate the body-horror aspect to it, and I think that stuff is well done, I just think its a questionable approach to something like the Fantastic Four.

Nathan Rabin did a pretty good run down of it for his World Of Flops series, including some stuff about how people saw Trank's alleged behaviour as some indicator of the quality of the film: http://www.avclub.com/article/its-broodin-time-case-file-59-fantastic-four-234223

quote:

In its current incarnation, Fantastic Four feels incomplete and unfinished. It was clearly designed as the first in a series of films but its historic box-office failure ensured that it is a one-off. Hell, even Story’s phenomenally lovely movie got a sequel. But Trank’s Fantastic Four is a surprisingly engaging, offbeat entry in an increasingly exhausted genre. I suspect that the future will be kinder to Fantastic Four than the present is, bringing overdue appreciation for this strange movie and its oddball charms, in part because it would be difficult for it to be much crueler.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 1, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gatts posted:

I'd be happy if the entire FF go over to Marvel but would settle for just Doom. He alone can be such an amazing villain for an event movie.

Doom, Kang, Galactus, Annihilus... the FF has so many great villains tied up with their rights. Any one of those four would be fantastic villains.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible to buy the rights to villains but not their heroes? What happens when a villain changes hands in who they oppose, like how the Kingpin started as a Spidey villain but he's now legally defined as a Daredevil villain?

edit: poo poo, rhetorical question

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 1, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be generous, Fantastic Four did have a couple of good character moments, and some of the body horror stuff could have been developed into something interesting, but nothing, good or bad, felt anywhere close to meshing into a coherent whole. Even the first half felt like three or four (lol) disparate movies jostling for room. And Doom was such a half-baked, nothing of a villain.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Here's my take. The greatest characterisation of Superman in recent years is the one where he's carrying a shield.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to buy the rights to villains but not their heroes? What happens when a villain changes hands in who they oppose, like how the Kingpin started as a Spidey villain but he's now legally defined as a Daredevil villain?

edit: poo poo, rhetorical question

Sometimes the character ownerships are vague, and some are shared.

But Marvel did try to make a deal for Galactus and the Silver Surfer. They were willing to allow Fox to hold on to Daredevil in exchange for those characters, and Fox said no. Marvel wanted to put Galactus and Surfer in GOTG as a cameo, but couldn't.

So it seems they've tried to make deals with Fox, but Fox wouldn't budge. That's partly why the Marvel line is no longer allowing the FF and mutants to be in other media like video games and not selling merch of them, because he's mad Fox won't deal.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Sometimes the character ownerships are vague, and some are shared.

But Marvel did try to make a deal for Galactus and the Silver Surfer. They were willing to allow Fox to hold on to Daredevil in exchange for those characters, and Fox said no. Marvel wanted to put Galactus and Surfer in GOTG as a cameo, but couldn't.

So it seems they've tried to make deals with Fox, but Fox wouldn't budge. That's partly why the Marvel line is no longer allowing the FF and mutants to be in other media like video games and not selling merch of them, because he's mad Fox won't deal.

Them's the rules, and Fox are totally in the right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really do not blame Fox any single bit. They know what FF is worth to Disney and they're drat sure not going to let them have it.

I worry for the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Thanos is FINALLY defeated because they will have nothing to top it unless they start making original villains.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not hard, it'll just be some fuckwad Dr. Claw with his own putty patrol.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I kind of like the idea that it's a family trait that if you come at a Wayne they're coming at you. Especially considering the Wayne family is so tied up in the very creation of Gotham city, the fact that they're aggressive sort of makes sense. Kind of more sense than the usual depiction of them being somewhat passive and the mugging just goes bad.

Then again I also really like the idea from Earth One that Martha is an Arkham.

Aren't Bruce and Batwoman cousins via his mom or something?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So, an article about a Snyder's Watchmen interview back in 06 is being passed around, and it puzzles me the type of reaction BvS been getting, more specifically Snyder; from Objectivist accusations, which seems a leap if anything, to having him accountable on Batman's manslaugther

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

I worry for the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Thanos is FINALLY defeated because they will have nothing to top it unless they start making original villains.

They could do Magus. The Sony deal helps too since they could pull from Spidey's villains if they wanted. And they could bring back the Red Skull, or do the Masters of Evil.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Those two are going to be sneak making out like prom night in the next movie.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SpottedGleefulAlbatross.webm

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Burkion posted:

I really do not blame Fox any single bit. They know what FF is worth to Disney and they're drat sure not going to let them have it.

Fox might have a better argument if they weren't just completely inept at doing anything with anything having to do with the FF. Also they could just make a Sony type deal and get paid, but instead they want to be really loving dumb and now they're getting fat percentages of merchandising that doesn't exist.

As for villains, there's always some Celestials or some poo poo they can dig up. Hell, there's got to be at least one Galactic Empire not tied to the Xmen or FF that they could use as a nemisis. Plus there's always a Planet/World War Hulk story line sitting there in case of emergency.

If Wonder Woman does well I wouldn't be surprised if Ares and Hercules don't show up for a pantheon battle for the souls of Earth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Fox might have a better argument if they weren't just completely inept at doing anything with anything having to do with the FF. Also they could just make a Sony type deal and get paid, but instead they want to be really loving dumb and now they're getting fat percentages of merchandising that doesn't exist.

As for villains, there's always some Celestials or some poo poo they can dig up. Hell, there's got to be at least one Galactic Empire not tied to the Xmen or FF that they could use as a nemisis. Plus there's always a Planet/World War Hulk story line sitting there in case of emergency.

If Wonder Woman does well I wouldn't be surprised if Ares and Hercules don't show up for a pantheon battle for the souls of Earth.

It's not the smartest business move, but I entirely understand why they're doing it- so Marvel can't have them.

And I'm not sure Marvel can do solo Hulk movies without being a joint production with Universal, who still has those rights.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Danger posted:

Batman's whole thing is that he is Oedipus who never completed his complex.

Superman's mom is probably really lonely.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The age gap between Affleck and Lane is smaller than the one between Cavill and Adams, so, y'know, go for it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

The age gap between Affleck and Lane is smaller than the one between Cavill and Adams, so, y'know, go for it

"Martha..."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Superman losing his cool because Batman hosed his mom is probably what the Flash went back to warn everyone about.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I like how we were discussing tony stark wanting to gently caress aunt may like, a week ago, and we've managed to come full circle to old-man-superhero loving young-man-superhero's mom

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ungulateman posted:

I like how we were discussing tony stark wanting to gently caress aunt may like, a week ago, and we've managed to come full circle to old-man-superhero loving young-man-superhero's mom

At least in Tony Stark's case it's Tony Stark and thus completely in character for him to sleep with any reasonably attractive woman who says yes. And Tony Stark is quite a step up from, say, Doc Ock if you have a thing for mad scientists. :v:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tom Holland is going to transform into that weird werespider from the 1990s cartoon after he finds out what May and Tony have been up to. Then Tony is going to have to bring out the Spider Slayer drones he has been working on since he knew about Spider-Man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

At least in Tony Stark's case it's Tony Stark and thus completely in character for him to sleep with any reasonably attractive woman who says yes. And Tony Stark is quite a step up from, say, Doc Ock if you have a thing for mad scientists. :v:

Sorry, Clark, the CEO of Queen industries were drinking at a bar and he bet me I couldn't bang her. I didn't have a choice, I have to keep up my spoiled playboy secret identity. What if he found out I was Batman?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

:golfclap:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/creepypuppet/status/726960529390997505

Looks like James Wan is still on Aquaman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
James Win.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank God. I'm stoked for Aquaman.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait but I thought the whole DC comics venture was in catastrophic freefall and everyone was fleeing the sinking ship made of the leftover pieces of BvS.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait but I thought the whole DC comics venture was in catastrophic freefall and everyone was fleeing the sinking ship made of the leftover pieces of BvS.

Apparently Devin Faraci is doing damage control on Twitter. He only said Wan had "trepidations" about doing Aquaman. You know, something that can't really be proven to mean anything. A worthy news story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool that all you need to have in order to succeed as an online journalist is a complete lack of journalistic integrity.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He's still claiming that SS did reshoots to lighten the tone...?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Apparently Devin Faraci is doing damage control on Twitter. He only said Wan had "trepidations" about doing Aquaman. You know, something that can't really be proven to mean anything. A worthy news story.

Can't wait for his expose on James Wan Not Really Feeling Today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can't wait for his expose on James Wan Not Really Feeling Today

Ten Times James Wan Couldn't Even

• Locked thread