Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Not directly, there's a dude who's definitely supposed to evoke him whose soul makes the White Dragon Breath spell and Moonlight Sword tho

More of an homage

Could be Seath's latest incarnation if you subscribe to the (correct) reading of DS2's spiderboss that Seath keeps on coming back in new host bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tracula posted:

Nah. So long as your icon is flashing in the upper left it means you can be summoned.

Note: does not mean you ever will be summoned.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah he seems perfect for a glass cannon gimmick, either a pure caster with tons of Int/Faith or a Dex build with one casting stat, with a ton of stamina and weight allotment so you can "fastroll" forever with both Carthus rings

That's kinda what I was thinking too. If I want to roll a glass cannon caster, how do I even start out though? I know I can just roll a Knight or w/e and respec once I get some powerful spells but that would kind of defeat the purpose of a gimmick run. Maybe start as an Assassin and rely on parries and backstabs until I can start shooting lasers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just chased every single enemy outside Cathedral of the Deep into the Cathedral of the Deep. Do enemies not ever lose aggro in DS3?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jose posted:

i think this game would be vastly improved with bloodborne's dodging and healing mechanics

It'd be vastly improved by the mechanics that are already present being improved, such as armor, miracles, sorcery, anything not a long sword, etc

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

He wasn't in any trailers.

You're probably right. Does look quite a bit like him at 1:15-ish here, though. Might be yet another enemy I missed :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjY99zF3_to

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bloodborne was a cool game but a lot of it works because it's less of an rpg than Dark Souls. And I'd be mad if they made this game without those rpg aspects cause they already made Bloodborne and could have made another one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

my new dog posted:

You're probably right. Does look quite a bit like him at 1:15-ish here, though. Might be yet another enemy I missed :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjY99zF3_to

Yeah, that does look very Seath-y. The full boss looks nothing like him though.

Bloodborne's healing mechanics in what way? The regain thing?

There should be a boss weapon or ring that does that

Nah, they just regen some health after a certain number of hits. They're awful.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jose posted:

i think this game would be vastly improved with bloodborne's dodging and healing mechanics

I'm glad they didn't put regain in, it separates BB from DS. It's already too easy to heal in this game as is, and aggression is already rewarded enough.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

BombiTheZombie posted:

Holy gently caress, just tried invading as a finger. Host zooms around summoning phantom upon phantom, doesnt stop to fight or anything. Couldnt catch him no matter what and as i kept killing phantoms he just kept tossing them at me. After seven phantoms killed i just black crystalled out of there.

I just wish there was a limit or something. Make the game just go "Jesus you giant baby, six phantoms and you want more?" and kill the host.

Earlier today I invaded a guy at the final stairs of Archives. He had two friends with him, both using Rapport repeatedly.

I can't even understand why this game would be fun played like that?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Nah, they just regen some health after a certain number of hits. They're awful.

Oh yeah I know I was saying there should be a weapon or ring in Dark Souls 3 that duplicates the regain system (maybe a weaker version or w/e especially for the ring)

I'm kind of amazed and disappointed that they didn't put the Saw Cleaver or Threaded Cane in as a weapon that switches to its trick form when you two-hand it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jose posted:

I actually disagree. My biggest problem is that some of the boss encounters seems lazy, and poorly designed. The biggest issue comes in combat though. The transforming weapons being so limited made each of them seem cool and unique, and there being so few made balancing them much easier. I tried so many times to switch to new weapon, but I basically went from club->broadsword->Dark Sword and never looked back because the damage/stamina could literally not be beat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what's the level spread for invasions again? +/- 10? I'm level 20 right now on my gimmick pvp character in Undead Settlement and I want to get as many hits as I can

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why does armour suck so much in this game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Why does armour suck so much in this game

See thread title :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Space Hamlet posted:

Could be Seath's latest incarnation if you subscribe to the (correct) reading of DS2's spiderboss that Seath keeps on coming back in new host bodies

It wasn't that Seath came back in hosts so much that in DS2, all the great lord souls continued to exert effects on the land and its inhabitants even after death. All 4 of the lord bosses in Dark Souls 2 had taken on characteristics associated with the previous owners of their souls. In Dark Souls 3, its a bit more murky since nothing lines up as clearly. Wild speculation;

-Oceiros obviously has had his soul warped by Seathe, literally turning himself into a crazy half-dragon man. Don't do crystals.
-The Abyss Watchers collectively consumed Sif's soul. Its weird to note that unlike Deacons, the other mob boss, the soul you get from them is clearly one soul rather than a bunch of smaller ones pooled together. It implies that once you joined the legion you literally became any identical clone of every other legion member due to influence of the soul.
-Some people say Aldritch ate Nito's soul, but I haven't seen anything to really indicate that. Apparently he has some attacks stolen from Nito that I missed.
-The old witch's soul might of just burnt out by now given it was twisted by the chaos flame, which is almost dead

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Your Computer posted:

See thread title :shepface:

Not just that, it doesn't protect for poo poo

Why'd they do this

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Grondoth posted:

Why'd they do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKc9ejlUYs

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Why'd they do this

Armor actually protects better than it ever has. Defense = flat subtraction, Absorption = percentage reduction after Defense calculation, with diminishing returns past ~20-25%.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If anybody in this game is channeling Nito, it's High Lord Wolnir; even his boss environment rips you out of the Catacombs and dumps you into a space that's like the Tomb of Giants

I think interpreting bosses literally via the Lord Souls is a mistake though, rather than taking those similarities as artistic callbacks; I feel like people got way too obsessed with those NG+ drops in Dark Souls 2 that were basically easter eggs and the connections between for example the Old Iron King and Gwyn were loving weak (the OIK looked and behaved exactly like a Dark Souls demon, which were linked to the Old Witch's soul)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Paul Zuvella posted:

I tried so many times to switch to new weapon, but I basically went from club->broadsword->Dark Sword and never looked back because the damage/stamina could literally not be beat.

The exact same thing happened with the saw cleaver/spear in BB

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Grondoth posted:

Why'd they do this
Learn to roll
(Also, if you aren't wearing something in all 4 armor slots, you take more damage percent-wise. Even wearing something terrible like the Master's gear is better than not wearing anything.)

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4f8yy8/how_defense_and_absorption_really_work/

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Internet Kraken posted:

It wasn't that Seath came back in hosts so much that in DS2, all the great lord souls continued to exert effects on the land and its inhabitants even after death. All 4 of the lord bosses in Dark Souls 2 had taken on characteristics associated with the previous owners of their souls. In Dark Souls 3, its a bit more murky since nothing lines up as clearly. Wild speculation;

-Oceiros obviously has had his soul warped by Seathe, literally turning himself into a crazy half-dragon man. Don't do crystals.
-The Abyss Watchers collectively consumed Sif's soul. Its weird to note that unlike Deacons, the other mob boss, the soul you get from them is clearly one soul rather than a bunch of smaller ones pooled together. It implies that once you joined the legion you literally became any identical clone of every other legion member due to influence of the soul.
-Some people say Aldritch ate Nito's soul, but I haven't seen anything to really indicate that. Apparently he has some attacks stolen from Nito that I missed.
-The old witch's soul might of just burnt out by now given it was twisted by the chaos flame, which is almost dead

DS2's treatment of the lord souls was pretty vague as Zombies' Downfall points out, but the game did seem to take extra care to underline Seath as an eternally returning entity - "our master never dies," and all. It fits his whole quest for immortality deal, too!

Not that I could tell you exactly what might be going on between Seath and Ocerios, just his appearance and behavior (trying to resurrect the dragons, possibly?) is pretty interesting if you view it in light of that implication

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 1, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alabaster White posted:

Armor actually protects better than it ever has. Defense = flat subtraction, Absorption = percentage reduction after Defense calculation, with diminishing returns past ~20-25%.

Yep, I tried doing a naked Flynn's build and would get demolished when hit by scrub enemies in the High Wall of Lothric. Clothes are mandatory, but heavy armor isn't worth the Vit investment.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Internet Kraken posted:

The evidence for Aldrich eating Nito lies in them having the same hairy skeleton skirt, and a roughly similar scythe melee attack. Also the fact that he's titled devourer of gods which does suggest he chowed down on more than just Gwyndolin. I could see it going either way, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flynn's Ring is 100% not even worth it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

If anybody in this game is channeling Nito, it's High Lord Wolnir; even his boss environment rips you out of the Catacombs and dumps you into a space that's like the Tomb of Giants

I think interpreting bosses literally via the Lord Souls is a mistake though, rather than taking those similarities as artistic callbacks; I feel like people got way too obsessed with those NG+ drops in Dark Souls 2 that were basically easter eggs and the connections between for example the Old Iron King and Gwyn were loving weak (the OIK looked and behaved exactly like a Dark Souls demon, which were linked to the Old Witch's soul)

The connections between the OIK and Gwyn aren't weak.

-Rose to power after stumbling upon an immense soul
-Built a totally awesome and extravagant city
-Had a loyal legion of knights that got reduced to mindless shells
-Died in a fire

When you fight him he doesn't share similarities with Gwyn because at that point he had been beaten down by another monster and warped into a demon. Doesn't mean he didn't have his soul at one point though. His entire story is that he had everything and then lost it all due to hubris, which is why he's a big angry demon when you fight him. Its similar to how Gwyn is just a burnt out husk. They share similar fates brought on by different sources. Gwyn died in an attempt to keep the flame going, while the Iron King got destroyed by what happens when the flame goes crazy.

Fuligin posted:

The evidence for Aldrich eating Nito lies in them having the same hairy skeleton skirt, and a roughly similar scythe melee attack. Also the fact that he's titled devourer of gods which does suggest he chowed down on more than just Gwyndolin. I could see it going either way, though.

The scythe comes from Priscilla, as is stated by the description of the miracle version you get of it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I've gotten used to the dumb DS1 style rolling but it pains me how bad the animations for Thrusting Swords are :( The Estoc felt so amazing in DS2, but in this game it just feels like your character is flailing. Is it the same animation as in Demon's Souls? I remember the animation being extremely jarring in that game too.

The Lost Sinner also literally had a chaos bug crawl into her mask didn't she? Not to mentioned the whole "sin" thing, what with the Witch attempting to recreate the First Flame.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am getting down on myself for losing like 30k souls so far. Just fell off the goddamn elevator by the giant tower and onion knight guy to lose 10k. Rip.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

The scythe comes from Priscilla, as is stated by the description of the miracle version you get of it.

Well, probably, perhaps. It could also mean Yorshka, in a 'you're next' type way.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's been explained in great detail how(thanks for the video and the post, that explains a lot about what I was seeing and hearing from my tuff buddy), but I don't know why. Making yourself super tough with ridiculous armour has always been a fun part about Demon's/DS1/DS2, where you could play this action game as a big armoured clad monstrosity that can't even roll properly. 1/2 let you block a lotta stuff that Demon's didn't, while in this game it tapers off quick and it's more important to be wearing 4 pieces of armour than what type of armour it is.

I don't like it. No Sir.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where's the best place to farm for warden twinblades? Just run up from the deacon's bonfire?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Why'd they do this
From just sucks at math.

VIT should really be just as good as VIG, so you can level VIG if you wanna wear light armor and VIT if you wanna do fashion. There's so many cool armors in the game but nope can't wear em too heavy

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

vandalism posted:

I am getting down on myself for losing like 30k souls so far. Just fell off the goddamn elevator by the giant tower and onion knight guy to lose 10k. Rip.

Enh. I mean at first it's like, 'oh no all those souls, that was levels/weapons/whatever' but pretty swiftly you learn to let go and the loss of even hundreds of thousands or millions of souls has you laughing at whatever stupidity you did to lose them instead of being frustrated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ability scores are stupid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have tried on four different playthroughs to get the patches event to happen at the cathedral and I cannot ever seem to figure out the magical pattern of events that makes it happen

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Grondoth posted:

It's been explained in great detail how(thanks for the video and the post, that explains a lot about what I was seeing and hearing from my tuff buddy), but I don't know why. Making yourself super tough with ridiculous armour has always been a fun part about Demon's/DS1/DS2, where you could play this action game as a big armoured clad monstrosity that can't even roll properly. 1/2 let you block a lotta stuff that Demon's didn't, while in this game it tapers off quick and it's more important to be wearing 4 pieces of armour than what type of armour it is.

I don't like it. No Sir.

Yeah It's dumb but at least you know how it works now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alt F4 if you get invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Where's the best place to farm for warden twinblades? Just run up from the deacon's bonfire?

Probably Rosaria's, actually. Very slightly faster and a bit safer. Or untended graves but that's late game. Hmmm. Or actually if you start at the Chapel bonfire at the cathedral, and take the first shortcut, but then go back outside there's two wardens there, but that's sort of a long run.