Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, and another point I'd like to talk about that I forgot.

The topic of playing a character also reminded me of the Love Live Final Live in some ways, not because of the theme or anything but because my experiences there changed the way I looked at people playing the role of 2D idols. I remember some people - I think it was panda and Polsy - talking about how they weren't really fans of lives because the singers weren't the characters themselves but something more akin to real life idols cosplaying anime idols. And it made sense when watching the Final Live cause I realized that a lot of the audience members were there more for the VAs than for the characters. Which isn't to say they weren't fans of Love Live - they obviously were and some people even cried when it ended - bu I got the feeling that they were more about the singers and their relation to the LL series than the characters and their relation to the LL series. The VAs themselves didn't really talk like their characters either. I kept expecting Touki Sora to say Nico Nico Ni or Iida Riho to use Rin's characteristic nyas during the talking segments but that wasn't the case.

Which makes sense, in a way. I went to the Final Live twice because it was the end of Love Live, but would I have gone to see any of the other lives if possible? I'm not too sure about that.

I feel like there may be 4 types of fans.

There's the casual, who just watches the anime or plays the game and maybe buys BRs and a few pieces of merchandise but no more than that.
There's the medium fan, who listens to the drama CDs, reads the manga and light novels, and buys figurines in addition to what the casual fan does. In other words, they're fond of Love Live the series and every medium it's available in.
There's the idol fan, who likes LL and follows the VAs, including their solo careers.
And then there's the ultimate fan who likes everything.

I feel like the last two types are the ones going to lives, the ones who order like 100 copies of the BRs for a chance to get seats to the lives. The first two might go, if they happen on the opportunity, but it's not like LL is about the VAs for them.

I guess I'm probably somewhere in between the casual and medium fan.

See, Love Live for me was strange since I didn't know it was "a thing" until I got into cosplay photography, I mean I am a FripSide fan so I knew that Nanjo sung songs so I bought those albums. I was honestly a bigger Idolmaster fan only because of playing Ace Combat for years.
(I still like Love Live better than mainline Idolmaster, and CG more than mainline Idolmaster just because the CG girls have actual well, character arcs and feel like people instead of pure IDOLS FROM THE WAIFU WORLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

I certainly didn't care for Miku my first time through the show, but after watching the entire show again, I've come around on her quite a bit. It certainly helps her VA is really good, but in a larger sense, I can't think of any idols I actively dislike. The ones I care for the least are the ones that kind of blend together for me, but who has time to actively dislike idols when there's so many ones to love?

Yeah, pretty much. There's just idols who I never really saw the appeal of, like Miho who basically comes off to me as a boring Uzuki-like (in the sense of plain Cute-categorized girl who ganbattes her best). But I can't say I dislike her in that there is nothing that I detest, just that there's not really anything that endears her to me.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I started hording gems after i hit my idol cap in ss and now that i got over 1200 of them i feel like i should start murdering normies

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Or maybe i should see how many i will have by the time they do another fes

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I guess this new system of throwing extra stamina bottles at people through missions and the free daily bottle is making people go crazy. I'm not sure I'll ever make it into the point rankings again.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
JESUS CHRISTO that's brutal. Yeah same.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i was just gonna come in here and request a graph of the current event cuz of the ridiculousness of whats goin on lol.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm proud to finally join the Legion of Idol Avatars.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sylphid posted:

I certainly didn't care for Miku my first time through the show, but after watching the entire show again, I've come around on her quite a bit. It certainly helps her VA is really good, but in a larger sense, I can't think of any idols I actively dislike. The ones I care for the least are the ones that kind of blend together for me, but who has time to actively dislike idols when there's so many ones to love?

That's basically how it is for me. If you asked me at various points while watching stuff, I'd absolutely have at least one person who annoyed me enough to say I disliked them (hi Takane, Miki, Miku, Mio, &c.) but that's probably because they were either impressively one-note or just annoying.

Ah, except Riina, because she's precious and how can you dislike a character who deflates the second you so much as take a second look at them? Oh, and maybe Chieri, because she's quiet and stays out of the way.

Rika wants to be like her big sister, but the flaw of that approach is that she'll always only be a copy. At best, she's equal to her sister, but unless she finds a different goal that lies further on, she'll most likely only be Mika, but not as good.

I mean, she's blonde, so she's got that going for her.

Surprise isn't the only way to evoke a natural reaction, Mio.

Have you tried tossing them a ball.

This was funnier than the ame bit, btw.

Oh, and another point I'd like to talk about that I forgot.

The topic of playing a character also reminded me of the Love Live Final Live in some ways, not because of the theme or anything but because my experiences there changed the way I looked at people playing the role of 2D idols. I remember some people - I think it was panda and Polsy - talking about how they weren't really fans of lives because the singers weren't the characters themselves but something more akin to real life idols cosplaying anime idols. And it made sense when watching the Final Live cause I realized that a lot of the audience members were there more for the VAs than for the characters. Which isn't to say they weren't fans of Love Live - they obviously were and some people even cried when it ended - bu I got the feeling that they were more about the singers and their relation to the LL series than the characters and their relation to the LL series. The VAs themselves didn't really talk like their characters either. I kept expecting Touki Sora to say Nico Nico Ni or Iida Riho to use Rin's characteristic nyas during the talking segments but that wasn't the case.

Which makes sense, in a way. I went to the Final Live twice because it was the end of Love Live, but would I have gone to see any of the other lives if possible? I'm not too sure about that.

I feel like there may be 4 types of fans.

There's the casual, who just watches the anime or plays the game and maybe buys BRs and a few pieces of merchandise but no more than that.
There's the medium fan, who listens to the drama CDs, reads the manga and light novels, and buys figurines in addition to what the casual fan does. In other words, they're fond of Love Live the series and every medium it's available in.
There's the idol fan, who likes LL and follows the VAs, including their solo careers.
And then there's the ultimate fan who likes everything.

I feel like the last two types are the ones going to lives, the ones who order like 100 copies of the BRs for a chance to get seats to the lives. The first two might go, if they happen on the opportunity, but it's not like LL is about the VAs for them.

I guess I'm probably somewhere in between the casual and medium fan.

I feel like I mentioned it last time this came up, but there are absolutely fans of the VAs, or maybe the VAs voice-acting the characters, in a way that's distinct from the actual character. I think that's pretty weird, but whatever. Then again, my knowledge of this comes from :siren:youtube comments:siren: so y'know, grain of salt. God knows, the people who find it worth their while to argue over who was the better Yukiho are going to be maniacs anyway. But looking it up, I'm not sure if that's really even a distinction worth making, since most of them only seem to have bit parts or stuff from years ago listed as their non imas work (because I'm too lazy to look into it properly or look at LL or anything else) and sometimes a videogame or two.

What's the distinction between the third and fourth type, though? Or is the third the type who doesn't care about the anime/manga stuff, just the music? I guess I'd be more around the medium level, since caring about (or really knowing) VAs isn't really something I'm willing to invest the time into doing.

Sidenote: Chihaya's VA also voiced Chihaya's younger brother lol

Polsy posted:

I guess this new system of throwing extra stamina bottles at people through missions and the free daily bottle is making people go crazy. I'm not sure I'll ever make it into the point rankings again.

Yeah, that's probably a good explanation, combined with :siren:THE WEEKEND:siren: and also golden week and also :siren:MINAMI IN UNIFORM:siren: poo poo's gone nuts.
I don't even know who the other card is lol

in exchange for all those words, please accept this tweet
https://twitter.com/shineka_/status/726619040244883456/photo/1

Hey, both ctrl+b and cmd+b work. Neat!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'd serve in Minami's division.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Skwee posted:

wait all those posts and you only watched 3 episodes?
:aaa:

i posted like 60 posts for ep 26

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Polsy posted:

Ah, it's Anzu's (no, the forums poster) favourite episode

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mio's Producer impersonation. Heh.

She even copied his eyes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Zenostein posted:

I don't even know who the other card is lol
[/sub]

Aiko. They just added her image song. I saw a video of a dude spendin a boatload of money trying to get her SSR. I don't think she's unpopular. She's got a voice and songs she's in. Like there's voiced characters that don't have songs... Like Aki Yamato.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

My dad came out of nowhere and handed me a miniature bowl of mashed potatoes.

who's his favorite idol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rika wants to be like her big sister, but the flaw of that approach is that she'll always only be a copy. At best, she's equal to her sister, but unless she finds a different goal that lies further on, she'll most likely only be Mika, but not as good.

she's also like 12 and tryna act like 17

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Christ Kirari is tall.

にょわっ!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's an ame (雨, rain) of ame (飴, candy)!

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I already made that joke, reeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

GET IT?

CAUSE RAIN AND CANDY SOUND THE SAME IN JAPANESE.

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

they actually dont, different stressed syllables
PUNKT

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Skwee posted:

Aiko. They just added her image song. I saw a video of a dude spendin a boatload of money trying to get her SSR. I don't think she's unpopular. She's got a voice and songs she's in. Like there's voiced characters that don't have songs... Like Aki Yamato.

Oh, is it?

I know who Aiko is, I meant I didn't know who got to be not all over goddamn twitter uniform minami

with special guests uniform nao and uniform karen.

lotta good uniforms

Futaba Anzu posted:

she's also like 12 and tryna act like 17

The kids are alright.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I talked a bit about Miku and her statement of choosing a character to play, and we get to explore the concept a bit more. In this episode, you find out that there are actually more than just two faces to being an idol - Miku actually shows three. There's cheery catgirl persona she adopts as an idol for the PR video, the grumpy and moody and competitive and attention-seeking catgirl that she becomes when she thinks the camera isn't rolling, and then the actual non-diol Miku, who doesn't speak in nyas at all. In other words, the catgirl is a character she adopts on the job (in other words, enters the building), but even the catgirl idol shows a different face to her coworkers and her clients (the fans). Makes sense, when you think about it. It's like that in real life with jobs or social life in general. People have different faces that they take with friends, families, lovers, coworkers, clients, and so on. You might badmouth a lovely client to your coworkers, but when you're actually dealing with that client you have to present yourself as someone who'll treat them with respect and a sense of duty if you want to maintain relations. Even among coworkers, there are different positions, so you obviously have to act differently towards those with the same position than you do with your superiors.

she's also clark kent

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

The kids are alright.

yeah I like when rika just acts like a bratty kid because that's funny. I guess her wanting to emulate her sister is also along those same lines, but I just can't Condone This Behavior in regards to just what exactly she wants to copy. Though I guess the funny little kid moments wouldn't be as funny if they weren't in comparison to her other habits.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Futaba Anzu posted:

yeah I like when rika just acts like a bratty kid because that's funny. I guess her wanting to emulate her sister is also along those same lines, but I just can't Condone This Behavior in regards to just what exactly she wants to copy. Though I guess the funny little kid moments wouldn't be as funny if they weren't in comparison to her other habits.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of her initially but it's great how she's not trying to repress her childish side. She wants to be a sexy gyaru idol like Mika but catching beetles is also super cool.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

graybook posted:

When I was first watching, Miku really was near the bottom of my personal reasons for how drat headstrong she was. Super about that idol experience.

this is the entire reason why both me and my friend's opinions went from annoying cat to one of best cats, without her even really changing anything up. it's just so authentically cat-like to act like that, going so far as to include all her uncat-like mannerisms.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:/ the problem with both of them is that all the neat stuff isn't in episode four because nobody is particularly interesting in episode four.

Unless you got your shipping goggles on tight because i'm pretty sure uzuki dazzled the gently caress out of rin in like episode two.

Ah, also Rika and Miria make a pretty good pair, which is especially funny with certain fanarts

Like this one!

So thirsty~

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Argas posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of her initially but it's great how she's not trying to repress her childish side. She wants to be a sexy gyaru idol like Mika but catching beetles is also super cool.

I can't even really fault her for the former because I think she wants to be a "sexy gyaru" only because she sees it as a sense of maturity imparted by her sister moreso than any desire to actually be a sexy gyaru.

Mika personality wise would be a really good role model for the two kids, it's just that Rika being a dumb kid sees more glamour in her appearance wise, and Miria being an even dumber kid just gets dragged along by Rika.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

Ah, also Rika and Miria make a pretty good pair, which is especially funny with certain fanarts

Like this one!

So thirsty~

lol yeah, but that doesn't really start until their episodes in s2

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Polsy posted:

Yeah, I probably contributed to this and am part of the problem

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

lol yeah, but that doesn't really start until their episodes in s2

Yeah~ most of the neat stuff does~

ZEO watch faster so I can talk about how much I loved Riina's enka performance and the stage with all the knives

Allarion posted:

Yeah, I probably contributed to this and am part of the problem

Constantly wobbling between 48k and like 90k. Its nuts and I am also not helping, but probably nowhere near as much not helping as some of you are not helping.

hlep
https://twitter.com/enjiGEN/status/726826842955505664/photo/1

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sylphid posted:

I'm proud to finally join the Legion of Idol Avatars.

Excellent.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zenostein posted:

Constantly wobbling between 48k and like 90k. Its nuts and I am also not helping, but probably nowhere near as much not helping as some of you are not helping.

I uh... revolve around 16k and 20k at the moment. I kinda went min-max crazy on that first day with stamina potions, and I think I leveled up too.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Starlight Stage SSR signature collection (via http://imas-cg.net/2016/05/01/48499331.html)

Never noticed the signatures were colour-coded before, not that I've seen too many of them. Also signing in Roman letters is surprisingly popular.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Polsy posted:

Starlight Stage SSR signature collection (via http://imas-cg.net/2016/05/01/48499331.html)

Never noticed the signatures were colour-coded before, not that I've seen too many of them. Also signing in Roman letters is surprisingly popular.

Mio has the best signature. Took me a while to notice the 'H'.

Also, with some of the new Starlight Stage cards coming out, I'm not sure of the tone change to militarized iDOLM@STER. Seems like it probably won't be popular among the Japanese fanbase to have the idols going to war.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Sylphid posted:

Mio has the best signature. Took me a while to notice the 'H'.

Ranko's signature though

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

since I just remembered that it was a thing, the Rockman Idol April Fools image

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That's pretty dang cute.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKfpvkOPjvo

I found this thing. It's like some sorta weird lp/novelmaster combo. Probably the most confusing amv I've ever seen.

Also Rin's signature is fancier than I expected. For some reason I thought it'd just be the kanji for her name.

Oh hey, Anyas is in cyrillic! Cute~

vvvv. Powerful

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Managed to do a slide so hard that my phone thought i was changing orientation and somehow finished the song upside down

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Three Cookies posted:

Managed to do a slide so hard that my phone thought i was changing orientation and somehow finished the song upside down

just say you did it on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey guys, who's supposed to be the new Nico Nico Nii for the LL sunshine series?