Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Each of the Professors studies different branches of Pokemon, right? Like Elm doing evolution?

So I could see him using trade evolution Pokemon or ones that evolve in weird ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

beru04 posted:

Man, I played X twice and never liked it either time. Weirdly paced, and companions out the arse who I never seemed to enjoy.

The funniest it got for me was the girl going on a date and watching fireworks with you and then giving you the Protect TM.

Things XY do well: New pokemon, pokemon distribution, the gyms, the routes/world in general.

Things XY don't do well: NPCs, plot and villains, post-game content, the level curve.

XY are fantastic if all you want to do is travel the land with your favorite Pokemon buddies. A lot of the routes are well laid-out and very pretty. You generally don't need HMs to progress anywhere, just to find cool things like TMs. The gyms generally have interesting layouts and puzzles.

On the other hand, the NPCs are boring and forgettable (I have played it 3 times now and I cannot remember most of the gym leaders or the E4) with your companions and "rival" being the most notable examples. (Someone on these forums put it that *you* are the Gary Oak of this game: constantly showing up the other trainer, always one step ahead, and always victorious when you fight. Honestly, it fits really well.)

Also the game really, really loves to throw powerful and rare Pokemon at you. Snorlax and Aerodactyl can both be obtained before the second gym, you get a Gen 1 starter in the first hour or so, and you get a Lucario and a Lapras within 5 minutes of each other. All for free!

Crosspeice posted:

I haven't seen all too much evidence that Sun and Moon will be a new region plus Kalos, mainly because I don't want Kalos to be an empty husk so the new region has some actual content.

I feel they are gonna do something real special for the 20th anniversary in Sun and Moon and it better be the Pokemon World Tournament, featuring practically every Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion, Rival and Protagonist in the past 20 years. Beautiful.

Also please timg those images, thanks.

Agreed, I seriously doubt they're going to do a multi-region thing. I think that was just a gimmick for the Gen 2 games designed to draw fans of Gen 1 back. Considering how much they crammed into just Kalos, a second region would be overwhelming... or boring, if done poorly.

I love the idea of an expanded PWT or Battle Frontier building though.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Each of the Professors studies different branches of Pokemon, right? Like Elm doing evolution?

So I could see him using trade evolution Pokemon or ones that evolve in weird ways.

Rowan was evolution, Elm was all about Pokemon eggs

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, right. Well, Elm could use Pokemon that have baby forms then.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Elm is eggs, Rowan is Evolution, Juniper is real world evolution (Pokemon origins), and Sycamore is Mega Evolution.

I think Birch is habitats and Oak is everything? I can't remember.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Elm is eggs, Rowan is Evolution, Juniper is real world evolution (Pokemon origins), and Sycamore is Mega Evolution.

I don't even remember what Birch is supposed to specialize in. Like, all I remember about Birch is that Dan Green was his dub voice actor.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All I knows is that Sun/Moon drat well better have your lead Pokémon follow you around again. Only doing it in 3 games is not enough. There's absolutly no reason for that not to be a thing now. :colbert:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, using emulators means I have to use a lovely mouse for the Pokeathlon and also try and also do a load of annoying steps to trade between Yellow and Crystal... but I can use cheats and save states and move sav files around no problem.

Well least I can clone a load of Rattata to trade loads of Yellow pokes over. Genders here we come!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, right. Well, Elm could use Pokemon that have baby forms then.

Level 100 Pichu, Tyrogue, Togepi, Magby, Wynaut, and Bonsly :getin:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

This is more or less correct.

Elm is the first professor with any real 'specialization', but even then it's mostly from the fact that he ends up doing research on the egg Mr. Pokemon gives him. Birch kinda starts in with habitats (Hoenn is the first region with real habitat diversity). Rowan is indeed Evolution. I am not sure about Juniper, she never really did terribly much, as I recall. It was mostly Cynthia that did the Pokemon Origins type stuff. Sycamore was definitely Mega Evolution (which is silly in hindsight when ORAS has mega evolutions and takes place prior to X/Y chronologically).

More or less, each professor deals with that generation's New Thing. Juniper just didn't have much to go on since the 'new thing' was the Dream Network/Global Link, and that was handled by a different character.

Also, on the XY thing: I really enjoyed those games, and felt they had the right amount of 'fun' to them for me. Granted, I adored a lot of the minor things like playing dress up (I bought every piece of clothing), and the like. The NPCs, for the most part I liked. Team Flare was kinda bleh, but I enjoyed the Kids you went with. I think they needed more screen time though, to make it really feel like you were traveling with your buddies.

Though they've been going in that direction ever since RSE. In RBY your rival's just a jerk. In GSC your rival is a certified rear end in a top hat but at least he gets better. In RSE your rival's just a dude, really. Though in ORAS it becomes Wally who you get to watch more or less grow up. DPP you get Barry who's... frankly annoying, but I guess is a decent guy. Then in BW you get Cheren and Bianca. Cheren I didn't like, he was pretty much a jerk, but he gets better. Bianca I found very interesting and loved her little story arc. I was happy to see her return as she did in B2W2. Though in that game you get Hugh, who can go take a long walk off a short pier. I get he's supposed to have a dramatic backstory, but he annoyed me more than anything.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Though in that game you get Hugh, who can go take a long walk off a short pier. I get he's supposed to have a dramatic backstory, but he annoyed me more than anything.

"YOU'RE ABOUT TO FEEL MY RAGE"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hugh was literally Vegeta in a Pokémon game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:getin:

Everyone but Vegeta and Wukong are female.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Roro posted:

"YOU'RE ABOUT TO FEEL MY RAGE"

Fun Fact: My Avatar is because of this.
Someone posted the anime clip of Sean Schemmel playing Hugh, saying "Heads up, I'm about to unleash my Rage" and then we got on the topic of Super Saiyan Batman somehow,
and someone posted my current avatar. Then some mysterious benefactor bought a new avatar for me.
It was Chorocojo's Pokemon Black 2 LP that died where this happened.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

:getin:

Everyone but Vegeta and Wukong are female.

ms skeltal...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Aquamemnon is a quality nickname. Possibly better than Skulkraken, but I'm not 100% on that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Silegna posted:

Fun Fact: My Avatar is because of this.
Someone posted the anime clip of Sean Schemmel playing Hugh, saying "Heads up, I'm about to unleash my Rage" and then we got on the topic of Super Saiyan Batman somehow,
and someone posted my current avatar. Then some mysterious benefactor bought a new avatar for me.
It was Chorocojo's Pokemon Black 2 LP that died where this happened.

So it's YOUR fault it died!

Nah. But I do keep hoping to see it come back... I mean, The Dark Id came back for FFX, so stranger things have happened...

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hugh was literally Vegeta in a Pokémon game.

This feels somewhat accurate. Hugh was just a ball of impotent, short-sighted rage. He angrily flips out at anyone and everything at the drop of a hat. IIRC, he doesn't really calm down until the very end of the game when it's revealed his entire freaking quest is for naught. But by then, I was so done with Hugh and the rest of B2/W2, I didn't care anymore. I honestly dislike B2/W2's plot more than, say XY's, even if Team Flare was kind of meh. There's a lot of cool stuff in it like the Union Hall or whatever, and the Movie Studio, but the plot was just... uhg. Just Hugh, or just the Revived Plasma thing would've been more bearable without the other, but together by the end I was just, 'Shut up all of you and let me kick your asses.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

All I knows is that Sun/Moon drat well better have your lead Pokémon follow you around again. Only doing it in 3 games is not enough. There's absolutly no reason for that not to be a thing now. :colbert:

Short of them making another home console Pokemon game, that feature will never come back. 700+ sprites for every Pokemon following behind you with them facing differently? Yeah, rip.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Short of them making another home console Pokemon game, that feature will never come back. 700+ sprites for every Pokemon following behind you with them facing differently? Yeah, rip.

Well they're models now. Which they already made, and put way too many polygons on. (X and Y are seriously unoptimized. A few Pokemon will cause battles to chug, especially if you decide to turn on the 3D.) So they could theoretically scale a few Pokemon down for the overworld.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If you think about it, Hugh is a kid, similar to how Barry empathizes the gung-ho kid who REALLY wants a Pokemon very badly, and is a bundle of energy all the time. So with Hugh, he's probably a kid growing up on action shows (His pose in battle is totally something a toku hero would use), and even his lines are very, VERY cheesy, what with him patting his back for wanting to show his rage to the blatantly evil Team Plasma.

The thing is, he's... A kid. He's immature. He's off on his quest to rescue his sister's cat, and wants to be a real hero, 'cause... Some trainers MIGHT be out for some sort of acclaim. In the games, the player character is often a hero of some sort, so why not have a rival who's goal is tied to wanting to be stronger, to feel good about himself? His sister's Purrloin probably bolstered his desire of being a hero. Sadly, his journey does have a turn, again, similar to Barry - The Purrloin he's been chasing after? Team Plasma couldn't care less. It's a dumb cat. They made it evolve, and it doesn't even recognize Hugh, leaving him heartbroken that his journey was just a silly fantasy.

I might be biased, as I personally enjoy BW1 and 2 a lot (Even though admittedly they DO have some goofy moments, but then, what Pokemon game doesn't?), but I feel Hugh fits well with Cheren and Bianca in terms of "These people have grown in such sort time, all people of those there murderbeasts. They are cool people."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hugh is an angry kid who yells a lot and has dumb hair, so he's pretty cool imo. He's just not that great a rival. He barely ever fights you and when he does his team is never all that memorable or interesting. I think he has just 3 pokemon for the majority of his fights which is pretty lame.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

LightningKimba posted:

If you think about it, Hugh is a kid, similar to how Barry empathizes the gung-ho kid who REALLY wants a Pokemon very badly, and is a bundle of energy all the time. So with Hugh, he's probably a kid growing up on action shows (His pose in battle is totally something a toku hero would use), and even his lines are very, VERY cheesy, what with him patting his back for wanting to show his rage to the blatantly evil Team Plasma.

The thing is, he's... A kid. He's immature. He's off on his quest to rescue his sister's cat, and wants to be a real hero, 'cause... Some trainers MIGHT be out for some sort of acclaim. In the games, the player character is often a hero of some sort, so why not have a rival who's goal is tied to wanting to be stronger, to feel good about himself? His sister's Purrloin probably bolstered his desire of being a hero. Sadly, his journey does have a turn, again, similar to Barry - The Purrloin he's been chasing after? Team Plasma couldn't care less. It's a dumb cat. They made it evolve, and it doesn't even recognize Hugh, leaving him heartbroken that his journey was just a silly fantasy.

I might be biased, as I personally enjoy BW1 and 2 a lot (Even though admittedly they DO have some goofy moments, but then, what Pokemon game doesn't?), but I feel Hugh fits well with Cheren and Bianca in terms of "These people have grown in such sort time, all people of those there murderbeasts. They are cool people."

That's true. I dunno, personally the character just rubbed me the wrong way. Though with the hero aspect, I wonder what the japanese translation was like. If him using those poses was indicative of a more 'hero' type personality. Hugh is a bit more... anti-hero with how angry and nasty he could be to people. I think what might've gone a long way with him, is more scenes with him calmer. Pretty much the only time you ever see him starting at Floccsy Ranch is him perpetually angry. And even before then you see him be sort of hyper-aggressive.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hugh is an angry kid who yells a lot and has dumb hair, so he's pretty cool imo. He's just not that great a rival. He barely ever fights you and when he does his team is never all that memorable or interesting. I think he has just 3 pokemon for the majority of his fights which is pretty lame.

Hugh uses a Flygon, which is really baller. The one Pokemon, out of everything in Unova, that I sort of wish weren't on the rivals' teams were the monkeys, mostly because I liked how older rivals used a random mon to cover up a type.

The monkeys aren't super interesting design-wise in my eyes, so seeing as they're just slapped on to cover typings left a bad taste in my mouth.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

That's true. I dunno, personally the character just rubbed me the wrong way. Though with the hero aspect, I wonder what the japanese translation was like. If him using those poses was indicative of a more 'hero' type personality. Hugh is a bit more... anti-hero with how angry and nasty he could be to people. I think what might've gone a long way with him, is more scenes with him calmer. Pretty much the only time you ever see him starting at Floccsy Ranch is him perpetually angry. And even before then you see him be sort of hyper-aggressive.

It's been a while since I've played BW2, and honestly, a part of me wishes I still had my copy of Black 2... Since I remember him being mostly aggressive around Team Plasma specifically, but I could be forgetting things.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Yeah. He's only really angry when you encounter Team Plasma. He only ever really fights you to test how far you've come, and joins you as a team member more often than that.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I didn't like him because his storyline was dumb, went nowhere, and was obviously going to go nowhere from the very beginning.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I liked it when the Team Plasma grunts were all 'A Purrloin? You expect us to remember snatching a specific Purrloin? Pull the other one.'

Then of course it was inexplicably in the hands of their ninja squad so, um... ???

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pureauthor posted:

I liked it when the Team Plasma grunts were all 'A Purrloin? You expect us to remember snatching a specific Purrloin? Pull the other one.'

Then of course it was inexplicably in the hands of their ninja squad so, um... ???

Said ninja squad immediately gave the thing back, completely defusing Hugh's self-aggrandizing rage because the couldn't be bothered to care about it or him.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Geostomp posted:

Said ninja squad immediately gave the thing back, completely defusing Hugh's self-aggrandizing rage because the couldn't be bothered to care about it or him.

Said Ninja Squad was awesome. They were more helpful than actually antagonizing half the time though

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I loved how he finally got the (now evolved) purrloin back and just didn't know what to do at that point
so he just sits in the room staring at it for the rest of the climax

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hugh was an inevitability as the writers tried to give the pokemon games more compelling plots - He's the other hero, who has a greater claim on the plot than you do for a while.

And that's perfectly fine. It's a good thing when the NPCs are proactive and accomplishing their goals without being entirely reliant on you. And when he does pull you in, it's because he respects you and your power.

Speaking of which, that's another thing I like about BW2. It's aware of how you can fight through entire armies of goons, and lets you do it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hugh had problems, but I still like him more than any of the companion trainers in X&Y. They had twice his screentime and didn't develop at all. Despite interrupting you constantly. Hell, the rival in this game develops more than any of...whatever their names were.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Hugh had problems, but I still like him more than any of the companion trainers in X&Y. They had twice his screentime and didn't develop at all. Despite interrupting you constantly. Hell, the rival in this game develops more than any of...whatever their names were.

Shauna, Caleb/Serena, uh... dancer and nerd?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Calem/Serena, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shitter, Terrible and Trash.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Calem/Serena, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor. :colbert:

Two out of five was pretty good, right?
Calem is such a stupid name though, just call him Caleb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's supposed to be Calm and Serene, I don't really get what the theme was supposed to be but hey

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

It's supposed to be Calm and Serene, I don't really get what the theme was supposed to be but hey

"Hey guys, chill the gently caress out about Pokemon"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Roro posted:

"Hey guys, chill the gently caress out about Pokemon"

Which is ironic considering the games' Team Boss literally wanted to use a forgotten superweapon to kill all humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Which is ironic considering the games' Team Boss literally wanted to use a forgotten superweapon to kill all humans.

I genuinely like Lysandre because there's a scene where he starts crying about Pokemon and I feel like that encapsulates my childhood very well.

• Locked thread