Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

wiegieman posted:

The Sentry was Bendised pretty hard. First he was a mentally broken wreck because of one of his villains hiring Mastermind, then he was actually a drug addicted abusive husband all along who mainlined some super serum.

That is what I thought from various bits i have caught over time. Haven't had a chance to read dark reign or siege stuff yet.

It sounds like a complete mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah the Sentry was cool and good until he actually entered the main MU. The early minis with him and various specials were interesting. Didn't Bendis muck the character up?

Bendis was all about using his Avengers books to raise the visibility of new characters for a while: Sentry, Marvel Boy, the Hood, etc. Except he's Bendis, and his skill runs more toward depicting emotional/social dynamics than in anything resembling consistent continuity. His portrayals were rarely consistent with the previous portrayals if the characters, and at times inconsistent with Bendis's own earlier portrayals.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked what Bendis did with Sentry for the most part. His interactions with Norman were pretty great. Bendis totally crapped the bed with Marvel boy. I thought it was funny that he had no clue he was on a team full of bad guys, and bounced the gently caress out after finding out, but everything else was the drizzling shits. He gets turned into generic space man, with the most god awful white soul patch. Luckily Gillen's Young Avengers brought sexy back.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I finally got around to reading this week's Avengers Standoff, and I'm totally ignorant of the SHIELD agents outside of the really major ones like Fury, Hill, Coulson, etc but is Kincaid a character we're supposed to know? Either way I don't really care about her becoming Quasar but I'm just curious if she is a character people know and like and I'm just unaware of her, or if she just kinda showed up out of nowhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrProsek posted:

I finally got around to reading this week's Avengers Standoff, and I'm totally ignorant of the SHIELD agents outside of the really major ones like Fury, Hill, Coulson, etc but is Kincaid a character we're supposed to know? Either way I don't really care about her becoming Quasar but I'm just curious if she is a character people know and like and I'm just unaware of her, or if she just kinda showed up out of nowhere.

New character

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Do we know who's writing Quasar? Editorial probably just shoved her intro in after the fact.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

New character

I assumed since Marvel had that promotional image teasing the new Quasar there might be some significance to who the new Quasar is, but all my googling for Kincaid and Marvel only turned up Mercury.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is Squadron Supreme any good?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Is Squadron Supreme any good?

I thought it had promise but was killed by a trip to Weirdworld which I have rapidly gone from loving to absolutely not giving one poo poo about. The latest issue has nothing to do with Weirdworld so it might pick up again but that remains to be seen.

Also, just read this week's Dr Strange; did Jason Aaron forget Magik is a mutant? There's two distinct occasions where her teleportation mutation would have been real helpful but nobody even addresses why she can't use it for some reason. Was there a line I missed where someone explained why it doesn't work?

Gymer
May 30, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Also, just read this week's Dr Strange; did Jason Aaron forget Magik is a mutant? There's two distinct occasions where her teleportation mutation would have been real helpful but nobody even addresses why she can't use it for some reason. Was there a line I missed where someone explained why it doesn't work?

Not that I recall off the top of my head, but Magik's teleport routes her through Limbo, a realm of nearly pure magic, so that might be interfering.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gymer posted:

Not that I recall off the top of my head, but Magik's teleport routes her through Limbo, a realm of nearly pure magic, so that might be interfering.

Ahh, right, Nightcrawler's works the same way iirc. That raises the question of what's going on with the EXM since they moved the school into Limbo so if travel between Limbo and Earth is messed up that should mean they're stuck in Limbo/on Earth, but EXM is doing time travel Apocalypse stuff right now anyway so that's a moot point.

You've earned your no prize :v:.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doc Strange #7 and Last Days of Magic were both pretty great. Doctor Strange is really hitting its stride now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DrProsek posted:

That raises the question of what's going on with the EXM since they moved the school into Limbo so if travel between Limbo and Earth is messed up that should mean they're stuck in Limbo/on Earth, but EXM is doing time travel Apocalypse stuff right now anyway so that's a moot point.

That seems like a really terrible idea. The place is swarming with demons and poo poo. What happened to the old school location?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

That seems like a really terrible idea. The place is swarming with demons and poo poo. What happened to the old school location?

Cyclops did something everyone hates them, there is the m-pox, and decided they needed a new place.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Cyclops did something everyone hates them

This could describe a lot of storylines

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but wonder if all of Wolverines team ups aren't leading to a moment where something happens and she's all "I need help" and calls is Strange, Squirrel Girl, Wasp and whoever she teams up with in the future.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DrProsek posted:

I thought it had promise but was killed by a trip to Weirdworld which I have rapidly gone from loving to absolutely not giving one poo poo about. The latest issue has nothing to do with Weirdworld so it might pick up again but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for the reply, what's Weirdworld like?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I really wanted to like Squadron Supreme but the first couple issues were just awful. First they killed Namor in a flashback panel, then had a cameo brawl with the worst Avengers team there is. Then they went to Weirdworld where they had a completely pointless and boring betrayal and now they've seemingly added Thundara to the team but didn't actually give her a real reason for staying with the Squadron.

That said there was a montage of panels of the "helping people regardless of them asking" and adding up a bunch of civilian casualites, so I guess that's their deal is that they just show up and get the job done Man of Steel style.

Then 616 Nighthawk showed up to brawl with Squadron-verse Nighthawk, literally over the rights to the name Nighthawk.

This loving comic., what a mess.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

bobkatt013 posted:

Cyclops did something everyone hates them, there is the m-pox, and decided they needed a new place.

The downfall of mutantkind being Cyclops' fault would be perfect and needs to be true.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair what he did was apparently against the Inhumans who had just Eugenics his people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cyclops tried to go up against a property Marvel has the movie rights to, so that ain't happening.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks for the reply, what's Weirdworld like?

PaybackJack posted:

Then they went to Weirdworld where they had a completely pointless and boring [adventure]

For the record, this is my feeling on every Weirdworld excursion post-Secret Wars; "and then the team takes a break from whatever momentum the story was building up to go instead have pointless adventures in Weirdworld that don't really use the setting for anything interesting". Or in the case of Black Knight and Weirdworld itself, just fail to use Weirdworld for anything interesting but all the time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Weirdworld was lightning in a bottle I don't think anybody will ever use it well again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm really enjoying it on its own. I know the story isnt great but it's one of my guilty pleasure comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, when did Fixer stop being black?

And the cover of the new Thunderbolts is more 90s than the most 90s thing ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

So, when did Fixer stop being black?

And the cover of the new Thunderbolts is more 90s than the most 90s thing ever.

When they got a lovely artist to work on Thunderbolts (and then used a much better Mark Bagley variant cover to hype the book when it was solicited).

I like Bucky and the T-Bolts a LOT, and have heard good things about Jim Zub, so I'm getting the book, but the writing needs to be top-notch to get past that art.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

When they got a lovely artist to work on Thunderbolts (and then used a much better Mark Bagley variant cover to hype the book when it was solicited).

I like Bucky and the T-Bolts a LOT, and have heard good things about Jim Zub, so I'm getting the book, but the writing needs to be top-notch to get past that art.

Yea, seriously. That cover looks like it belongs to an issue of W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S..

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
New A-Force is awesome, I loved Ben Caldwell's art, I like the fact that She Hulk is getting to go back to being the fun loving boisterous bruiser again and Singularity is absolutely adorable and I hope they find something for her to do in the future.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's strongly rumoured they're killing her off in the next dumb crossover thing so don't get your hopes up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This month's Howard was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Zdarsky's take on Spider-Man is so good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ben Caldwell is SO GOOD. Dude can draw a dragon smashing a forest and two near-identical-but-distinct women having a quiet conversation and make them both look dynamic, and the colouring fits it perfectly. I also really like Kelly Thompson's voice, and despite that we have 2 different Avengers-adjacent team books with a magical little girl on the team, Singularity comes off unique, with the odd but endearing cadence to her speech.

Thunderbolts.... oooh, boy. Writing is solid enough that I'm in for the first arc, but Zub really only cares about Bucky and the girls thus far. The other dudes are basically interchangeable. Fixer is there for exposition, and Erik and Abe are.... also in some panels. Kobik is cute but with an edge, and Moonstone feels maybe a little TOO Moonstone-y, given the 'stopping in the middle of a fight to psycho-analyse one of the mooks' beat. But yeeesh, that art. At best it's bland, and I'd almost call it a 'house style' if Marvel actually had one these days. At worst you get awful stuff like Karla posing in her pyjamas for no reason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Ben Caldwell is SO GOOD. Dude can draw a dragon smashing a forest and two near-identical-but-distinct women having a quiet conversation and make them both look dynamic, and the colouring fits it perfectly. I also really like Kelly Thompson's voice, and despite that we have 2 different Avengers-adjacent team books with a magical little girl on the team, Singularity comes off unique, with the odd but endearing cadence to her speech.

Thunderbolts.... oooh, boy. Writing is solid enough that I'm in for the first arc, but Zub really only cares about Bucky and the girls thus far. The other dudes are basically interchangeable. Fixer is there for exposition, and Erik and Abe are.... also in some panels. Kobik is cute but with an edge, and Moonstone feels maybe a little TOO Moonstone-y, given the 'stopping in the middle of a fight to psycho-analyse one of the mooks' beat. But yeeesh, that art. At best it's bland, and I'd almost call it a 'house style' if Marvel actually had one these days. At worst you get awful stuff like Karla posing in her pyjamas for no reason.

Was it as tasteful as her statue?

New Avengers is awesome and I loved every page of it.
The Plunderer + Terry + Squirrel Girl was so so great.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 4, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26135/patsy_walker_meets_natasha_allegri

:swoon:

I wish there were comments on the article. If people are already pissed at cute girl focused Marvel comics...

e: How was the new Punisher?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 5, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hnnnngh Hellcat was already killing me with the sweet art.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah that's adorable! And cute girl comics are generally my favorite comics right now.

Also Dazzler Thor and She-Hulk getting hammered was pretty awesome.

Though I had to laugh at seductive Wanda talking to Billy and Teddy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: How was the new Punisher?

It's a Punisher book. Bunch of mercs shipping a designer steroid that improve combat performance, are being watched by the DEA, but Frank murders them all before a bust happens, except one dude who he served with and gets the drop on him.

I actually think it being fairly by-the-numbers is important though. The Punisher is the book most likely to get assholes complaining about 'some woman' or 'SJWs' ruining their comic, so if Cloonan opens up by showing she can write a decent, straight Punisher story, it's less validation for them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair what he did was apparently against the Inhumans who had just Eugenics his people.

Isn't that something the Inhumans are doing unintentionally? Like its a side effect of something they can't control?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't know the terrigen was going to do that but it's not like releasing the mists was a good thing anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Isn't that something the Inhumans are doing unintentionally? Like its a side effect of something they can't control?

Nah they released the mists as a giant gently caress you, they didn't give a poo poo about what would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Black Bolt released the terrigen mists by himself and the rest of the Inhumans were pretty loving appalled by it.

• Locked thread