Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Can you help me understand something though?

The Hybrids get their economy from regenerative braking right?

If I'm on the highway, is a hybrid really going to make a difference for me since I'm not going to brake that often?

That's where I get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheReverend posted:

Can you help me understand something though?

The Hybrids get their economy from regenerative braking right?

If I'm on the highway, is a hybrid really going to make a difference for me since I'm not going to brake that often?

That's where I get confused.

That's part of it, but the prius also has a whole lot of other things (like aero) designed to increase FE. You will get slightly better FE in urban driving, but you still will get 45mpg hwy.
More importantly for you, the Gen2 prius may be the most reliable car of the era and priuses retain value like crazy, which is pretty useful if you're selling it in 1 year.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Word.
I'll look for those then, thanks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
No, theres a lot more to it than that. Primarily, most good hybrids use an atkinson cycle engine, as opposed to the usual otto cycle, which grants a further improvement in efficiency at the expense of torque and power, which in turn the hybrids make up with the electric drivetrain. The ICE in a hybrid can generally also run at a much more efficient state due to the presence of the batteries. The details vary, for example on the volt and the current Honda hybrids the ICE doesnt come on at all until a certain speed is reached and then the engine is locked directly to the wheels at a fixed ratio, or the batteries need charging, and in both cases the engine is running at its most efficient rev range.

Basically the general concept behind a hybrid seems simple but the engineering needed to actually put the power to the road efficiently is fairly complex and involves a lot of intellectual property. lovely car companies like FiatChrysler and VW still haven't figured it out to this day.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 1, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tab8715 posted:

Alright folks,

I'm 30 and I've been able to remain steadily employed for the past decade with a successful IT Career. My college loans are nearly paid off and I've got more than my 6-months savings. I've given myself soft-budget of $35k/y and I've been eyeing the new Audi 3 2.0T Convertible or Audi TT Convertible. Granted, I want to wait until my loans are completely paid off but this is my tentative target.

I'm well aware this would super totally cool but tell me goons why this a bad idea.

Both of those cars are poo poo. If you ever want to deplete your 6 months savings, I highly recommending buying a VAG product and keeping it for 5 years. Something made out of plastic will break and it will cost you 5k to fix it because Hans thought that Step 1: Remove Engine is an acceptable thing to put into a repair manual.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 1, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo. If you ever want to deplete your 6 months savings, I highly recommending buying a VAG product and keeping it for 5 years. Something made out of plastic will break and it will cost you 5k to fix it because Hans though that Step 1: Remove Engine is an acceptable thing to put into a repair manual.

To be fair, I think that instruction was only found in the W8 passat manual. Maybe the W12 phaeton.
If you want to buy a sporty VAG product, buy a wagon or a porsche. (Or a Lamborghini or Ducati I guess)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phone posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo. If you ever want to deplete your 6 months savings, I highly recommending buying a VAG product and keeping it for 5 years. Something made out of plastic will break and it will cost you 5k to fix it because Hans though that Step 1: Remove Engine is an acceptable thing to put into a repair manual.

Well they did say they wanted to spend $35,000/year on the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Well they did say they wanted to spend $35,000/year on the car.

In that case, he should buy a Biturbo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

To be fair, I think that instruction was only found in the W8 passat manual. Maybe the W12 phaeton.

It's a popular phrase in Audi and Porsche manuals as well. For things as ridiculous as replacing O2 sensors (In the B6 S4).

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Phone posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo. If you ever want to deplete your 6 months savings, I highly recommending buying a VAG product and keeping it for 5 years. Something made out of plastic will break and it will cost you 5k to fix it because Hans thought that Step 1: Remove Engine is an acceptable thing to put into a repair manual.

poo poo, just reading "put car in service position" is enough to clench my rear end in a top hat. Yes, because removing all front bodywork, lights and bumper mounts is a perfectly normal thing to have to do when replacing an alternator.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Hey, I'm looking at this '08 Mazda 6. I test drove it and didn't notice anything unusual, but I'm still going to take it to my usual garage tomorrow to get checked out. I was looking for some general knowledge and advice with the model, as well as what to look forward to maintenance wise.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2016

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I'm having trouble finding 2nd gen priuses available. Is third gen ok?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheReverend posted:

So I'm having trouble finding 2nd gen priuses available. Is third gen ok?

Yeah, I recommended 2nd gen because they are cheaper, but 3rd is fine
Don't buy a 1st gen (the ones that don't look like priuses), they're not as good.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok found a gen2 with 70k under $10k.

Is there a limit on the miles. Anything I need to know like timing belts @70 or something.

is 70k too many miles for a prius? They should be good for at least 150 or so, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What year does the Gen 2 Prius start?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Wikipedia tells me 03-09

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

JnnyThndrs posted:

poo poo, just reading "put car in service position" is enough to clench my rear end in a top hat. Yes, because removing all front bodywork, lights and bumper mounts is a perfectly normal thing to have to do when replacing an alternator.

Do they at least make the bodywork and lights easy to remove?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

VideoTapir posted:

Do they at least make the bodywork and lights easy to remove?

They're not too bad if everything is unmolested, but half the time the bumper skin has been hit and poo poo's broken off/scummed together/ready to fall off and guess who's going to get blamed because he worked on it last?

Also cars that have been repainted poorly will never look right when you put them back together.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TheReverend posted:

Ok found a gen2 with 70k under $10k.

Is there a limit on the miles. Anything I need to know like timing belts @70 or something.

is 70k too many miles for a prius? They should be good for at least 150 or so, right?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...=p2045573.m1684

It's fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I originally wanted to go with a cheap commuter vehicle but looking at finances and my upcoming commuting situations / spouse preferences that's shaped a couple of things.

1. Spouse and I have driven a couple different varieties of Prius of several different model years up to 2014. Spouse cannot stand the rear visibility of the vehicle so probably looking for something else in the end due to that. I might overrule on that one but for not I want to consider some other vehicles.

2. We live in New England and routinely have to drive from RI through MA and into NH during all weather conditions. Having 4WD is fairly nice.

Given all that I have been considering a Subaru. I don't need a full size vehicle so any of the smaller varieties would work there. I also don't need to put >10,000 miles per year on the vehicle. If anything I estimate 5-8k miles per year at most.

What are the best years / types / options to consider for a Subaru? Is there an upper limit to mileage I want to avoid for them? I've heard talk about engine replacements etc on them so want to be sure I get something I can get 5 yrs out of at least with some halfway decent resale.

Otherwise any other suggestions for a 4WD fairly fuel-efficient and reliable vehicle? I'm open to something besides a Subaru if it makes sense. Our 2nd vehicle (which will see less use) is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheReverend posted:

Iirc all Prius models after the first gen have a timing chain, so as long as you don't slack on oil changes you should be fine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

That Works posted:

I originally wanted to go with a cheap commuter vehicle but looking at finances and my upcoming commuting situations / spouse preferences that's shaped a couple of things.

1. Spouse and I have driven a couple different varieties of Prius of several different model years up to 2014. Spouse cannot stand the rear visibility of the vehicle so probably looking for something else in the end due to that. I might overrule on that one but for not I want to consider some other vehicles.

Wow, I'm going to be sounding like an Apple zealot who is explaining to someone why Your Preferences Are Wrong, but maybe you could try teaching your spouse how to use the side mirrors. In my experience, a lot of people who complain about rear visibility don't know how to use their side mirrors. Priuses also come with backup cameras a lot too.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 2, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Wow, I'm going to be sounding like an Apple zealot who is explaining to someone why Your Preferences Are Wrong, but maybe you could try teaching your spouse how to use the side mirrors. In my experience, a lot of people who complain about rear visibility don't know how to use their side mirrors. Priuses also come with backup cameras a lot too.

Let's avoid that discussion for now please. We both have driven them. I am neutral on the car, neither good nor bad. She didn't enjoy driving them. There are a lot of makes and models of vehicles out there hence am looking at other options. Also, as I said, having 4WD would be a nice benefit as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Don't buy a turbo subaru if you care about not replacing engines.
The H6 is solid.
The non-turbo 2.5 had some headgasket issues. Everyone will debate when they ended.
The non turbo 2.0 is fine, I think.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nm posted:

Don't buy a turbo subaru if you care about not replacing engines.
The H6 is solid.
The non-turbo 2.5 had some headgasket issues. Everyone will debate when they ended.

Awesome, thanks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
AWD is a significant cost weight and economy penalty for very little gain. Snow tires are your friend.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The NA 2.0l ones had the oil burning lawsuit. The last years of the 2.5l (11-13) too, but that's just going by the class action lawsuit, there could be other years.

The rear visibility thing is basically a problem with the very fast coupe like roofline that a lot of carmakers are using these days. For the best rear visibility get something with a low beltline in the back and rear windows as upright as possible with either a traditional sedan profile or a hatch/wagon. Since no one makes the latter any more you might be forced into a small SUV.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The NA 2.0l ones had the oil burning lawsuit. The last years of the 2.5l (11-13) too, but that's just going by the class action lawsuit, there could be other years.

The rear visibility thing is basically a problem with the very fast coupe like roofline that a lot of carmakers are using these days. For the best rear visibility get something with a low beltline in the back and rear windows as upright as possible with either a traditional sedan profile or a hatch/wagon. Since no one makes the latter any more you might be forced into a small SUV.

Subarus burn oil? Why I never!
(OP, if you buy a subaru, check your oil regularly)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Golf/Jetta Sportwagen have really good rear visibility.

The Impreza does, too, in fairness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah was thinking about Impreza wagon but want to think that over especially given the potential for engine issues. I was fine driving a shitbox Civic all over the place up here. More my spouses concern but she grew up in back country in New Hampshire and probably feels like not having 4WD is a bigger deal than I do.

I think I can convince otherwise and just get another Honda but wanted to get some opinions on the Subaru lineup while I was thinkin about it.

Thanks everyone!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I test drove a Kia Rondo a few weeks ago. It's definitely got pretty good visibility being a traditional small wagon and you can get it with a stick. Downside: the MT is probably one of the worst I've ever driven, the clutch has about 60" of travel with no discernable bite point, the shifter is mushy and it's almost impossible to feel which gear its in. It's also not really that big or spacious.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nm posted:

And there's that one specific head gasket (IIRC, it was for an STI engine) that had to be used to fix it, which wasn't the stock part for most of them; so if you look at one that's been fixed it should be documented that it has that specific part, not just that the head gasket has been replaced.

quote:

Do you mean 2.2?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

And there's that one specific head gasket (IIRC, it was for an STI engine) that had to be used to fix it, which wasn't the stock part for most of them; so if you look at one that's been fixed it should be documented that it has that specific part, not just that the head gasket has been replaced.

Do you mean 2.2?

No, I meant the new one.
The 2.2 is a cockroach, but in NE I'd imagine all 2.2 cars are now 98% Iron Oxide.

At some point, subaru started using the MLS gasket (aka the turbo one like in the STI) in the NA 2.5, but I've never quite known when that change happened.
The newer NA 2.5 headgaskets fail much less badly (external weeping) and I think may not even need an engine pull. If that is true (I don't know), HGs really aren't that big a deal as the problem with the others was that it needed an engine pull.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Both of those cars are poo poo.

Phone posted:

It seems the general consensus is that general maintenance is expensive and if anything breaks - which it will - it's even more expensive to repair.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tab8715 posted:

It seems the general consensus is that general maintenance is expensive and if anything breaks - which it will - it's even more expensive to repair.

You've been posting about which new car to buy for almost a year. If you like the loving A3 so much just buy it. It's a new car, even Land Rovers or Maseratis aren't really that bad when they are *new*, what's the worst thing that could happen? So the car might have some problems, go to the dealer and they'll fix it for free, you might be out a few hours of your time.

If you are looking for a 5 year old car then yes you should probably stay away from the more unreliable brands.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

inkblottime posted:

Where they get you is with the dealer financing. Always go with a bank you trust over dealer financing. Negotiate price, then payment. If they ask, tell them you're weighing your options. Once the price is settled, then you tell them your bank is financing and don't believe them when they try to tell you they could save you money by going with them.

And don't get the extended warranty on a CR-V. We had one for 9 years and had exactly zero issues that weren't normal wear and tear maintenance. (Also, they usually charge double the invoice price they paid for the warranty)

But don't tell them this until you get them to land on a price.

This is from a page back, but I'd like to clarify because it's something I've been curious about. I've heard that dealer financing is a bad idea, and in the general conflict of interest sense I can see why. But, why exactly is it that they'll cost you more than a bank loan with a theoretically higher interest rate? Like, if you are approved for a 1.2% auto loan and the dealer has a 0.0% deal, how do they "getcha"? I assume some kind of punitive terms or fees?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Manufacturer financing is different from dealer financing, generally dealer financing terms are laid out easily, ie 720 credit score gets you the financing and it's usually a good deal.

Dealer financing is when they call a bunch of banks and find you a "great deal" where they tack on an extra percent and pocket the difference, and are not required to indicate that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Throatwarbler posted:

If you are looking for a 5 year old car then yes you should probably stay away from the more unreliable brands.

it seems like every car brand is unreliable these days :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^
Buy a Prius or a Mazda.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

This is from a page back, but I'd like to clarify because it's something I've been curious about. I've heard that dealer financing is a bad idea, and in the general conflict of interest sense I can see why. But, why exactly is it that they'll cost you more than a bank loan with a theoretically higher interest rate? Like, if you are approved for a 1.2% auto loan and the dealer has a 0.0% deal, how do they "getcha"? I assume some kind of punitive terms or fees?

They don't. Read the fine and check the rate. Manufacturer subsidized below-market rates are a good deal. 0% financing is awesome if you can get it, and it will only be gotten at a dealer.
Dealers are more loving over the ignorant or those with bad credit. Come in with your own rate and see if the dealer can beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What's the opinion on Carmax here? And, do they allow outside financing or do you have to go through their own financing?

If they allow outside, I use Bank of America, do they have a good auto finance program or should I find something else?

I just realized that I've really only ever bought old non-working cars for almost nothing and fixed them up or just bought used vehicles in cash so far for all of my life.