Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vandalism posted:

I heard that longswords are pretty baller but I wanna try some others, too. Are bastard swords as good? Also, I want the claymore :getin: Gotta go find all the sweet weapons.

the fume ultra great sword smashes everything to bits once you have the stats to use it for a couple of swings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vasler posted:

Call it what you will - they're using the tools the game gave them so what difference does it make?

They would waste far less of their time if they just sucked it up and fought the invader for 5 minutes instead of spending 20 minutes repeatedly summoning reinforcements because they are so afraid of dying. :shrug:

Like sure yeah you're totally showing that invader who's boss by wasting everyone's time including your own.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

GulagDolls posted:

i think its funny that the post you quoted literally says "I just wish there was a limit or something" and you interpret this as an attack on the host of the game

Well he did call him a giant baby.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They would waste far less of their time if they just sucked it up and fought the invader for 5 minutes instead of spending 20 minutes repeatedly summoning reinforcements because they are so afraid of dying. :shrug:

Like sure yeah you're totally showing that invader who's boss by wasting everyone's time including your own.

Sounds like he owned you because you're posting about it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they are giant babies, but that's not the problem.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's not about keeping your souls, or even dying. If someone invades me they have placed themselves in a state where they either win or lose and I'll be damned if I lose. That is the mindset you should have for invasions.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Vasler posted:

Call it what you will - they're using the tools the game gave them so what difference does it make?

Because it trivializes the blue covenant that exists for the sole purpose of fighting your battles for you? No one runs with the covenant on unless they are doing a gank squad because you can just run circles around the bonfire summoning every phantom under the sun.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hope we re-visit Burme Tower in a DLC, I want to fight dark Smelter Demon

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

I think the "Aldrich also ate X" theories are pretty dumb because you could say it about almost anything.

Really, there's only evidence for three, in order of strongest to weakest:

Gwyndolin (Duh)
Priscilla (Has her scythe and an euphemistic description of it)
Nito (...A musical motif I guess, yeah I don't think so either)

Anything else is overdoing it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
gently caress the Pontiff and his whole goddamned zone.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Buschmaki posted:

Sounds like he owned you because you're posting about it.

I lose 99% of my invasions because I'm godawful at PvP in this game but I still suck it up and fight people if they invade me. Does it really hurt that much to grow a spine and have a spat with the person that just invaded you?

Yeah, yeah everyone can play the game how they want, invaders are dicks who cares, blah blah blah. I just don't find 20 minutes of running around summoning backup very entertaining for anyone.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I lose 99% of my invasions because I'm godawful at PvP in this game but I still suck it up and fight people if they invade me. Does it really hurt that much to grow a spine and have a spat with the person that just invaded you?

Yeah, yeah everyone can play the game how they want, invaders are dicks who cares, blah blah blah. I just don't find 20 minutes of running around summoning backup very entertaining for anyone.

It's entertaining to make someone run around for 20 minutes until they give up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

His boss theme has violins in it. Guess which other boss has that? :smug: Check and mate, he ate everyone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think the "Aldrich also ate X" theories are pretty dumb because you could say it about almost anything. It's pretty clearly stated who he ate from the descriptions (also, he's called "God-eater" in Japanese so using "Devourer of Gods" as proof that he ate multiple Gods is dumb), and if he ate someone as important as Nito there would be something to back it up.

As for Priscilla, there's several pieces of flavor text surrounding her and the Painted World and none speak of her being eaten. It's all stuff about wretched beings and heretical storytellers telling each other about this supposed safe haven for forlorn souls.

I will admit the ties to Nito are tenuous, since you could easily explain his "body" as simply an accumulation of all the men (non-gods) he's eaten over time. But I can't swallow the "he didn't eat Priscilla" pill, there's just way too much evidence that he did indeed eat the two of them.

e: Who the hell is saying that Aldrich ate anyone other than Gwyndolin, Priscilla, and a shitload of Undead and his followers (and maaaaybe Nito)?

quote:

This, too. Nerds in general are the worst at this (see: "Pokémon is set in a post-war setting", "The main character was dead the entire time", "There are monsters in this fantasy world because it's actually a post-apocalyptic setting and those are all MUTANTS" etc.)

you're right, it's way too much for us crazy gamers to think a game called "dark souls" would be dark or grim in any way

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you want someone to stand and fight, get summoned into a fight club, jesus. If you're using a red eye orb you are making the conscious choice to get summoned into the scummiest, most unfair PVP in the game and shouldn't be surprised when you run into people who play scummy and unfairly.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tallgeese posted:

Really, there's only evidence for three, in order of strongest to weakest:

Gwyndolin (Duh)
Priscilla (Has her scythe and an euphemistic description of it)

He's literally got the Nito skirt, it's not that insane.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

If you want someone to stand and fight, get summoned into a fight club, jesus. If you're using a red eye orb you are making the conscious choice to get summoned into the scummiest, most unfair PVP in the game and shouldn't be surprised when you run into people who play scummy and unfairly.

*host has twice the estus, 25% more hp and two phantoms* "Boy this invader sure is scummy and unfair! *drinks four shots of estus and summons another three phantoms*

Invading has never been fair, but it has been a part of the game. In DS1 it was swayed too far in the invaders favor just as its swayed too far to the hosts in DS3.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Vasler posted:

And if they gave invaders double estus of the host and prevented them from summoning you'd be the one bitching about how unfair it is so cut the sanctimonious bullshit. Chain summoning is unfun (for both!) and should be fixed.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

BombiTheZombie posted:

*host has twice the estus, 25% more hp and two phantoms* "Boy this invader sure is scummy and unfair! *drinks four shots of estus and summons another three phantoms*

I can't believe this invader didn't hide behind enemies, wait until another invader showed up, waited until the group moved through a hallway or other narrow passage to gain a locational advantage, used a branch of the white tree to set up an ambush, or the myriad other options they could've used instead of coming in for an honor duel. Sounds like a real retard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think the "Aldrich also ate X" theories are pretty dumb because you could say it about almost anything. It's pretty clearly stated who he ate from the descriptions (also, he's called "God-eater" in Japanese so using "Devourer of Gods" as proof that he ate multiple Gods is dumb), and if he ate someone as important as Nito there would be something to back it up.

As for Priscilla, there's several pieces of flavor text surrounding her and the Painted World and none speak of her being eaten. It's all stuff about wretched beings and heretical storytellers telling each other about this supposed safe haven for forlorn souls.

This, too. Nerds in general are the worst at this (see: "Pokémon is set in a post-war setting", "The main character was dead the entire time", "There are monsters in this fantasy world because it's actually a post-apocalyptic setting and those are all MUTANTS" etc.)

The face value here is that he ate her. He ate Gwyndolin and got her abilities, so it's only natural to assume to he ate Priscilla since he has the Lifehunt Scythe. Either that or he has the completely unmentioned ability to get abilities from seeing people in dreams. Nito's a bit weirder but presumably he ate the returning Nito soul or whoever possessed it and that's what got him Nito's stuff.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Buschmaki posted:

It's not about keeping your souls, or even dying. If someone invades me they have placed themselves in a state where they either win or lose and I'll be damned if I lose. That is the mindset you should have for invasions.

This is a very aggressive stance on invading. What about us invaders who just want to goof off in the hosts world and do amusing things?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gologle posted:

This is a very aggressive stance on invading. What about us invaders who just want to goof off in the hosts world and do amusing things?

I can't tell you how many times I've gunned down someone breaking into my house only for them to say "dude wtf??? I was gonna put on a magic show for your kids and goof around!! rear end in a top hat!!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

People who have this attitude are boring as poo poo. If I invade and gesture, is it really too much to ask for you to respond with a gesture? Same question if you're an invader invading me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone have a link to a guide for the NPC questlines? I want to start a new character and literally found none of the NPC questlines last time around. I

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Gologle posted:

This is how I invade so I assume everyone's as big of an rear end in a top hat that I am. If I see red phantoms or hosts acting silly I immediately think it's some sort of trick.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

pretty sure that I murdered gwyndolin and priscilla with a lightning zweihander and they dissipated into nothingness. aldrich is a fraud

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of lore, is there... anything, anything to explain Andre's continued presence? I cannot find a single bit of information on the guy in the game except for his hammer which pretty much just says the same thing it said in DS1.
Undead will stay un-hollowed as long as they don't lose hope/determination/whatever.
Andre... really likes smithing? Enough that even after hundreds or thousands of years, he's still there doing his thing. He loves smithing so much that it prevents him from succumbing to despair and hollowing.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you're confused about andre but not patches?

I'm pretty sure creighton shows up as part of some npc's questline as well

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My favorite is hosts who get mad that you bc out after seeing their 3 phantoms and giant seed icon in the top left.

"If you invade you should deal with the consequences :qq:"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ran into another dickhead hacker picking on new players

soul level 20 range, fastrolling in black knight armor, 1hing the black knight greatsword (I think), the greataxe (definitely), rolling infinitely, and healing without estus.

I ended up helping the host and we were doing work, probably would have gotten him even with all that minus the health thing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Vargs posted:

pretty sure that I murdered gwyndolin and priscilla with a lightning zweihander and they dissipated into nothingness. aldrich is a fraud

unless the ds1 chosen undead

*record scratch*

is aldrich

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

The face value here is that he ate her. He ate Gwyndolin and got her abilities, so it's only natural to assume to he ate Priscilla since he has the Lifehunt Scythe. Either that or he has the completely unmentioned ability to get abilities from seeing people in dreams. Nito's a bit weirder but presumably he ate the returning Nito soul or whoever possessed it and that's what got him Nito's stuff.

The Lifehunt Scythe is a weapon though, the Lifehunt Scythe you make from his Soul is a Miracle. I don't think it's that weird to assume he learned of the idea of the Lifehunt Scythe when he saw Priscilla as he dreamt, and went on to fashion a Miracle in imitation. If he had her Dagger or something more corporeal then I would agree. The Nito connection is extremely weak (skeletons :geno:) and has literally 0 mention anywhere. Nito was a pretty big deal, not to mention having one of the Lord Souls which were used by the player in DS1 to link the fire. He was canonically slain in DS1 while Gwyndolin (and Priscilla of course) was optional.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

unless the ds1 chosen undead

*record scratch*

is aldrich

my mind has been expanded, where do I sign up for your patreon

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Babe Magnet posted:

ran into another dickhead hacker picking on new players

soul level 20 range, fastrolling in black knight armor, 1hing the black knight greatsword (I think), the greataxe (definitely), rolling infinitely, and healing without estus.

I ended up helping the host and we were doing work, probably would have gotten him even with all that minus the health thing

I do happen to be about to start the game... location?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Can we all just agree that invading is cool exactly because it doesn't enforce any specific code of conduct

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tetracube posted:

you're confused about andre but not patches?
Patches has too much fun loving people over to keel over and die himself. If he did that, some other thief would get his stuff, and that'd just be horrible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

I do happen to be about to start the game... location?

Undead Settlement. I can check my stream recording and get a name, so if you see it you can just crystal out.

e: You guys see a character named Callum wearing black knight armor, just crystal out

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 1, 2016

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

Can we all just agree that invading is cool specifically because it doesn't enforce any specific code of conduct

Agreed
Invading gank squads in crucifixion forest and luring them into the waiting claws of a giant crab will never not be funny.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I kind of appreciate the hp reduction for invaders in this game because it reminds us all to stop caring about e-honorable duels or whatever and just kill people however possible

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

The Lifehunt Scythe is a weapon though, the Lifehunt Scythe you make from his Soul is a Miracle. I don't think it's that weird to assume he learned of the idea of the Lifehunt Scythe when he saw Priscilla as he dreamt, and went on to fashion a Miracle in imitation. If he had her Dagger or something more corporeal then I would agree.

The problem is that lifedrain is a special power you can't just pull out of thin air.

Only two dudes have it or can give it out: Kaathe and Priscilla.

Plus, the reason it's not physical is presumably because a version of it already exists in the Great Corvian Scythe, no?

Also, fun fact.

Lifehunt Scythe seems to have multiple ranks or levels. So does Darkmoon Blade.

I wonder if the covenants silently powering up associated miracles is back?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Vargs posted:

No, no, you see, Aldritch is an illusion made by Gwyndolin. So is Pontiff Sulyvahn. All of Irithyll is an illusion made by Gwyndolin whose illusory might has only become more advanced as the eons continued on unabated. He fools the player into thinking that Anor Londo has become this defiled cold place, when actually it's JUST AN ILLUSION BRO. He's sitting in the real Anor Londo just next door chuckling to himself and maybe probably fantasizing about his big brother's dragon fetish.