Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

IMO my biggest complaint about the barbatos is that in the show, the final form is drawn way beefier than the model, so you lose that cool FSS vibe the model and lineart had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, I meant Astaroth.

I like Astaroth's design much more than Barbatos, but I think it also looks more traditional than Barbatos.

Also his buster sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New form for the Astaroth already getting previewed:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like I'm being over critical when I say this but that is a plain rear end looking Gundam.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It really looks like someone lifted it from Build Fighters, where it was a IBO/G-Reco kitbash of some kind.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I love the massive smashy arm, and it makes me sad I know it'll be replaced with a more generic one like the right one. That and the black knee is cool.

It really does look like it'll end up being just a plain rear end normal Gundam, with maybe a backpack to differentiate itself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda like it, but at the same time it's very..I dunno, derivative? I dunno if that's the word I'm looking for, really but something along those lines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem with the concept of "go find the missing bits" for something with a model kit is you can probably do that by buying a second Astaroth kit to "fix" the left arm and right leg.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That seems like a pro from Bandai's viewpoint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TTBF posted:

That seems like a pro from Bandai's viewpoint.

Not if they have an Astaroth Complete variant planned down the line. Plus there's no mystery as to how it might wind up looking when restored to its original state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apparently, the head is the only intact part (other than the frame itself), so we've still got quite a long way to go before we see the complete original version. I mean, that 'normal'-looking right arm? I think most of that's from a Graze.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I haven't paid much attention to IBO talk but a few posts elsewhere have me curious. Is there any plan for it to be dubbed?

I'm curious, not only because it's new Gundam and thus I'd like to watch it, but also because the posts I was reading said it was very Wing-like.

quote:

There's a lot of parallels with Wing. A bunch of warped, exploited child soldiers are sent to Earth to oppose the aristocratic government on vague revolutionary grounds by a sinister space-based cabal. They find their own identity by rallying around a naive young aristocrat who slowly manages to rise above the many, many people trying to use her and becomes a major power in her own right. Meanwhile, a masked ace of their aristocratic enemies becomes half-friend, half-foe as he incorporates them into his own ambitions, becoming the true architect of the new era they're creating. The 'magic' of the setting is also purely technological, a device that turns people into extensions of the weapons they pilot and demands a high price in return.

There's also strong Zeta parallels, with Gjallarhorn as the Titans. Edmonton was basically their Dakar Day, and Ein was their Jerid. The Alaya-Vijnana System is also extremely close to Cyber-Newtype technology in theme, if not in specific function. Meanwhile, Mc Gillis was pretty much the purest 0079 Char in the entire history of Char clones - literally the only difference was that he lacked his inspiration's crippling fear of responsibility.

I dunno how true this all is, of course.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It is getting a dub yeah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish they tried to revitalize Gundam in the west a little earlier, I'm bummed that not only will G-Reco not get a dub, but also of the crappy treatment it got with its stream

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

I wish they tried to revitalize Gundam in the west a little earlier, I'm bummed that not only will G-Reco not get a dub, but also of the crappy treatment it got with its stream

That wasn't "the West", it was just the US. It got simulcast in Australia and, I think, the UK/Europe. Madman Entertainment's also released it on DVD in two two-disc sets.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Some scanlator group is finally picking up Hathaway's Flash.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious, not only because it's new Gundam and thus I'd like to watch it, but also because the posts I was reading said it was very Wing-like.

It's really not. Beyond the usual basic similarities to every Gundam plot ever, IBO is its own thing.

Also I know you're using Wing-like to mean "similar to Wing's plot" but I read that as "goofy as gently caress" and that is sadly not IBO.

EDIT: Also Doan's Island is getting added to The Origin in a new spin-off. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2016

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Holy poo poo, the fifth episode of the new Unicorn is the kind of Gundam show I didn't know I wanted.

Since the IBO episode where the two battleships were duking out, nothing has felt as "weighty" and I'd actually say the beams in this top that. Even the almost supernatural reflexes for dodging incoming fire were beautifully animated.

But what I didn't know I actually wanted was the political intrigue. Minerva/Audrey and Char felt like genuine, intriguing characters in this episode. The talk in the cell/room was also actually well executed, I loved the detail of the ensign's friend interrupting and mentioning something was taking place in the ship, it made the entire situation feel a lot more genuine.

What I'm saying that these kind of plot points usually make me groan hard but somehow Unicorn executes them well enough for it to be actually entertaining.

edit:The fight also was well choreographed. Too many Gundam fights feel like a mess where-as in this one it was fairly easy to actually have an idea where various objects were positioned relative to each other. The fight had "spatial coherence" which is missing way too often in Gundam fights.

I haven't actually watched the gundam shows with original Char, is he actually similar in character as the one in this show? Because I'm actually starting to like his antics in this one.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 1, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That wasn't "the West", it was just the US. It got simulcast in Australia and, I think, the UK/Europe. Madman Entertainment's also released it on DVD in two two-disc sets.

The UK's only option was to buy episodes individuality as it aired, which is a real bad move for simulcasting

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dessel posted:

I haven't actually watched the gundam shows with original Char, is he actually similar in character as the one in this show? Because I'm actually starting to like his antics in this one.

There's a reason why Char is the most wildly popular Gundam franchise character. He's a scheming rat bastard and a gigantic sociopathic pile of contradictions that is nevertheless extremely compelling.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dessel posted:

Full Frontal is a less insane, more mature version of Char. Original Char is completely hosed up in a way that isn't 100% apparent until you put together all of the shows where he appears and realised how much of a psychopath he is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Full Frontal is a less insane, more mature version of Char. Original Char is completely hosed up in a way that isn't 100% apparent until you put together all of the shows where he appears and realised how much of a psychopath he is.

Now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's just differently insane.

He is, after all, a man literally designed by committee.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's just differently insane.

He's less insane for 99% of the show. It's an actual plot point that his plans are too boring and realistic, whereas the real Char would have done something infinitely dumber and crazier. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess it depends on what you define as insane? He's a completely amoral jerkwad but he approaches all his goals in a relatively logical way. The real problem would be his nihilistic and despairing outlook on life and humanity which is the starting point for all of his other goals and actions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

I guess it depends on what you define as insane? He's a completely amoral jerkwad but he approaches all his goals in a relatively logical way. The real problem would be his nihilistic and despairing outlook on life and humanity which is the starting point for all of his other goals and actions.

Frontal's insanity is mostly his vessel nonsense, where he quite literally believes that he's a living vessel for the will of Char and Zeon and that the only way that anyone can guide humanity is by hollowing themselves out like he did. His actual goals and how he goes about achieving them are pretty mundane and logical realpolitik, especially compared to Original Flavor Char.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Frontal's insanity is mostly his vessel nonsense, where he quite literally believes that he's a living vessel for the will of Char and Zeon and that the only way that anyone can guide humanity is by hollowing themselves out like he did. His actual goals and how he goes about achieving them are pretty mundane and logical realpolitik, especially compared to Original Flavor Char.

The thing is that I'm not sure his goals are his own. They seem like the blandest, most committee-designed ones he can have, and the way he talks about them implies that they, too, were the product of his creators. He's literally reduced himself into a figurehead and mouthpiece of Neo Zeon, with no drive or ambition of his own. If his handlers wanted crazy, he'd happily give them crazy, because that's his duty as a vessel.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm 10 Episodes into Victory and I like Cronicle, that is my report

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Duker Iq is the real hero in Victory.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

the first chapter of the ibo sidestory manga's been translated http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kidou-senshi-gundam-tekketsu-no-orphans-gekkou-r18729

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

the first chapter of the ibo sidestory manga's been translated http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kidou-senshi-gundam-tekketsu-no-orphans-gekkou-r18729

So, how many seconds would it take Mikazuki to kill everything in this?

Fifteen?

Seriously, the kid looks like even more of a loving monster of a pilot when compared to these guys. Guess that there's going to be a lot more of a chump-to-ace-pilot arc with this than in the show, where Mika was a killing machine from the jump.

Also, it's hilarious that the first enemy mobile suit has, in addition to a switchblade, a loving giant pistol.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

So, Mafioso Mobile Suit also has a sidearm designed like...I want to say a Beretta as well. Interesting.

Also, "Take off your hat in front of people" is so gloriously cheesy as an action one-liner. :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Boy, that translation is bad. Also,

:laffo:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Boy, that translation is bad. Also,

:laffo:

the font is kinda bad but except for that it seemed fine?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So, Mafioso Mobile Suit also has a sidearm designed like...I want to say a Beretta as well. Interesting.

Also, "Take off your hat in front of people" is so gloriously cheesy as an action one-liner. :allears:

That's a regular Hyakuren rifle. You see that big curved magazine when Argie knocks it away.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

the font is kinda bad but except for that it seemed fine?

"Daddy" is not something that a grown man calls another grown man, Droyer.

Also generally, no, the dialogue is just super awkwardly worded.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

"Daddy" is not something that a grown man calls another grown man, Droyer.

Also generally, no, the dialogue is just super awkwardly worded.

his mob boss nickname is daddy. fair point on the other one though, english isn't my first language.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a regular Hyakuren rifle. You see that big curved magazine when Argie knocks it away.
Ah, missed that detail. The angle and perspective it was at when the mobile suit was pointing it at Argie and Ted made it look like a handgun instead of a rifle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

his mob boss nickname is daddy. fair point on the other one though, english isn't my first language.

If he's the leader, that really should've been translated to "Godfather".

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If he's the leader, that really should've been translated to "Godfather".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suddenly I'm getting flashbacks to Gungrave with its Big Daddy mob boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't know if it's just me but I'm having a really hard time following the action in that manga