Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

are there many non-US posters in this thread? I'm moving to Ireland later in the year and have no idea what to look out for in terms of local breweries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Dark Lord Day: complete and unmitigated disaster. Stolen allotments, hypothermia, and severe blackout meant I've got little to show for my time there. It was fun up until then though next year if I get in I'm going to be far better prepared.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Slore Tactician posted:

Dark Lord Day: complete and unmitigated disaster. Stolen allotments, hypothermia, and severe blackout meant I've got little to show for my time there. It was fun up until then though next year if I get in I'm going to be far better prepared.

How did you bumble dark lord day that badly?! Thats worse than the guys who drop their entire allotment on the ground moments after leaving the building.

Although, look at the bright side: you didn't die! Last year there were: 3x traumatic head injuries, 2x cervical spine fractures, and 1x very jaundiced dude who clearly gave zero fucks about his liver failure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

trauma llama posted:

Although, look at the bright side: you didn't die! Last year there were: 3x traumatic head injuries, 2x cervical spine fractures, and 1x very jaundiced dude who clearly gave zero fucks about his liver failure.

Is that actually true? Because jesus christ, how could you in good conscience keep putting on a beer fest where attendees get so loving wasted that people getting almost getting killed becomes a punch line? I guess I'm glad I never got a chance at buy tickets.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

What the hell, that doesn't sound fun at all.

Went to Pinthouse Pizza's early morning bottle share for their Jaguar Shark release. Steve from Talkbeer also recently moved to Austin and he brought up some great beer from Funky Buddha. Wide Awake It's Morning is right up there with Hardywood Christmas Morning for beers that smell and have mouthfeel/finish identical to a really good cup of coffee. Someone also broke out a batch 2 Fuzzy and it's one of the least acidic Side Project beers I've tried, but I wouldn't rank it with the best peach beers like Peche N Brett, Persica, La Tache with white peaches etc.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Sirotan posted:

Is that actually true? Because jesus christ, how could you in good conscience keep putting on a beer fest where attendees get so loving wasted that people getting almost getting killed becomes a punch line? I guess I'm glad I never got a chance at buy tickets.

Source was a firefighter from Lansing and one of the ED nurses from the hospital down the street from 3 floyds. The Yellow Man I witnessed myself.

It's usually a fun event but Jesus Christ does it become a poo poo show. As long as you are reasonable, prepare for the always lovely weather, and don't do anything completely stupid: it's a great day.

Besides, any place people are drinking heavily can and will result in injuries. Dark lord day is far less dangerous than the St. Louis Mardi Gras or St. Pat's day for example. Drunks just lack the protective mechanisms when they eat poo poo, and being drunk or a chronic drinker makes it way more likely for your brain to start bleeding when you do wipe out.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
DLD was pretty mixed. The weather was loving awful and everyone was huddled in the tents like last year. I managed to stay relatively sober.

The voucher system was a loving joke. $40 of your $200 ticket was split into 8 non-refundable $5 vouchers. Beers were 1, food was 1-4. I spent a grand total of 2, some random guy gave me his entire 8 tickets as soon as we got inside.

We left one of our guys back cause his wife was picking him up late (metal fan, wanted to see Skeleton Witch) and we left him with $145 in tickets.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
an acquaintance of mine posted this in a local facebook group:

"And the Good Samaritan award imo for Dark Lord Day goes to Sean Clancy and Philip Naglieri. They took care of a guy who was drunk out of his mind (really bad) spent nearly 2 hours with him in the rain, ensured he got his allocation and got both him and his girlfriend safely into an Uber. (She wasn't drunk but couldn't handle him). Kudos guys!"

he added this in the comments:

"I tried to help and supported the guy as I walked with Sean and Phil. The guy said "Don't touch me". Then 30 seconds later smiled and said "Oh I like Indians [poster is Indian]". I wasn't sure how to take that so I decided to go back to the tent to drink and dance instead."

another person posted this:

"We tried to help a fallen down lady who broke her Dark Lord (and it was all over her) find White Castle...but she couldn't stay up very well. She hobbled away..."

sounds fun!

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
De Garde party was a success. So many good beers on tap and it was great to hangout with everyone. We hardly put a dent in the bottles we brought on the Brewvana bus. The pours at the party were huge and I was gone after eight.

Oakshire Hellshire Especial was my favorite, Sometimes a Great Cow was notable for almost being a mimosa, and Unblended had an unsual briney character, almost olive-like.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
This beer is a nice hidden highlight of my Oregon trip. Also de garde party was definitely fun as usual.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Everyone should go to Bend for multiple days. What an unbelievably beautiful place with an abundance of delicious beer. And the best tour guide you could ever ask for. Thanks again SUPER HASSLER.

I drank entirely too much beer over the past 5 days.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

:five:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Everyone should go to Bend for multiple days. What an unbelievably beautiful place with an abundance of delicious beer. And the best tour guide you could ever ask for. Thanks again SUPER HASSLER.

i could do with an abundance of SUPER HASSLER (not that i'm sure it comes in any other size)

drinking some Hammerhead Speedway (shout-out to Zam for the pickup/fantastic box) and it's reeeeaaaal good, probably second after Vietnamese for me (i've had all the bottled joints bar Velvet)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

These cans of Briney Melon would be extremely my poo poo if it was just a touch less salty.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

everythingWasBees posted:

These cans of Briney Melon would be extremely my poo poo if it was just a touch less salty.

Send them my way. Briney Melon is so drat good.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dark Lord Day was a success but I'm fairly certain it's cursed - the terrible weather two years in a row made is a rough day. I came prepared enough, but even in a rain suit, it's not very fun to be standing in the rain all day long. There isn't really anything FFF can do, but it makes events like Hunahpu Day way more enticing (at least you know it will be 60+ degrees).

I did see one guy so drunk that he was dozing off against a car in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.

Apache
May 11, 2004

The Schwa posted:

are there many non-US posters in this thread? I'm moving to Ireland later in the year and have no idea what to look out for in terms of local breweries.

When I was there on vacation a few years ago in Dublin there wasn't much in the way of any local brews that showed up in the Pubs there. I seem to remember a couple of brew pubs in the city itself, but most places only had the standard Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's combination on draft.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

there are a few English posters ITT (Spuckuk and someone else) and a couple from the continent, but i don't recall ever seeing an Irish poster.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I visited Dublin and Galway two years ago and there were micro beers, but you had to look for them. It was certainly not as common as in the UK, but it's probably become more popular since then. I wasn't too into beer yet at that time so I don't remember any details and didn't look for brewpubs but I did randomly run into bars a few times where they turned out to have 15-20 beers on draft.
At least stouts are easily available everywhere!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
As my wife and I are in baby-is-due-any-minute mode, I've decided to drastically cut back my beer intake for the foreseeable future. It started this weekend, which was the first Friday to Sunday stretch of not having a sip of booze in at least 14 years.

It loving sucks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

As my wife and I are in baby-is-due-any-minute mode, I've decided to drastically cut back my beer intake for the foreseeable future. It started this weekend, which was the first Friday to Sunday stretch of not having a sip of booze in at least 14 years.

It loving sucks.

Just think, your wife had to do that for 9 months plus another 6-12+ to come while breast feeding! Suck it up bro.

But no really preemptive congrats on your new family member. :cheers:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Just think, your wife had to do that for 9 months plus another 6-12+ to come while breast feeding! Suck it up bro.

But no really preemptive congrats on your new family member. :cheers:

Oh, I know. She reminded me a lot...

I did offer multiple times to stop drinking in solidarity or just stop drinking at home (in front of her), but she said it wasn't an issue. She's a wine person, not beer, so I think that helped. If I were guzzling, like, zins in front of her, I'm sure she'd be pissed.

It was very strange this weekend. We had a few rousing games of Splendor and I was drinking "mixed drinks" from the SodaStream instead of a beer. I blame my soberness on her victories. ALSO: the NFL draft is way more loving boring when you're not fall down drunk at a bar with friends...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Good luck danbanana!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

trauma llama posted:

Source was a firefighter from Lansing and one of the ED nurses from the hospital down the street from 3 floyds. The Yellow Man I witnessed myself.

It's usually a fun event but Jesus Christ does it become a poo poo show. As long as you are reasonable, prepare for the always lovely weather, and don't do anything completely stupid: it's a great day.

Besides, any place people are drinking heavily can and will result in injuries. Dark lord day is far less dangerous than the St. Louis Mardi Gras or St. Pat's day for example. Drunks just lack the protective mechanisms when they eat poo poo, and being drunk or a chronic drinker makes it way more likely for your brain to start bleeding when you do wipe out.

Going on 5 years hitting up the Firestone Walker Invitational and the biggest trauma you usually see there is someone dropping and breaking their glass. This sounds like a loving trainwreck.

Any beer festival that people are comparing to Mardi Gras or St Patty's Day is my nightmare. That's exactly the drinking crowd I try to avoid by hanging out in craft beer circles.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

DLD was pretty mixed. The weather was loving awful and everyone was huddled in the tents like last year. I managed to stay relatively sober.

The voucher system was a loving joke. $40 of your $200 ticket was split into 8 non-refundable $5 vouchers. Beers were 1, food was 1-4. I spent a grand total of 2, some random guy gave me his entire 8 tickets as soon as we got inside.

We left one of our guys back cause his wife was picking him up late (metal fan, wanted to see Skeleton Witch) and we left him with $145 in tickets.

DLD was pretty weird this year. Every year it seems like they change a few things for the better, but then other things get worse (Cattle fencing to funnel in for allotment line was awesome, line for bag check was loving ridiculously long at the north gate.)

I had 28 unique check-ins on untappd. That's what I can remember drinking. The voucher system was interesting, but between my wife and I we left with 30 dollars in vouchers (The vouchers are actually pretty cool looking, but definitely not worth the 5 bucks each.) I think that vouchers should have been able to be used for merchandise. Its not a loss for them, as money is money, but whatever.

At one point, probably around 4pm in the band tent there was a guy so wasted he was on the ground. I ended up picking him up, and trying to hold him up for about 5 minutes, asked if he was good, he said yeah, and then fell over again. I picked him back up, and he then he fell forward. It was a mess.

It just kinda felt blah. The second straight year with terrible weather, the guest taps were terrible, and the whole feeling just felt like "New Money Chicago Beer Scene." Theft, people offering money for your variant then cussing you out when you declined their offer. Hey dude, I've been going for 5 years now and I've never won a variant, I'm going to enjoy my BVDL and I don't need your money. It just felt like a giant cash grab with entitled rich people.

Hey and Slore Technician, sorry I didn't find you, and sorry about the stolen allotment. PM me, I'll be happy to ship you out a bottle of DL.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Avenged posted:

Hey and Slore Technician, sorry I didn't find you, and sorry about the stolen allotment. PM me, I'll be happy to ship you out a bottle of DL.

I got your PM. Thank you so much. Check your messages, I'll send you a nice thank you box!

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Entropist posted:

I visited Dublin and Galway two years ago and there were micro beers, but you had to look for them. It was certainly not as common as in the UK, but it's probably become more popular since then. I wasn't too into beer yet at that time so I don't remember any details and didn't look for brewpubs but I did randomly run into bars a few times where they turned out to have 15-20 beers on draft.
At least stouts are easily available everywhere!

Thanks all. I'll see what I can find!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Belmont Station got some Prairie in so I'm slowly sipping my first Prairie Bomb on a 84 degree day.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

i could do with an abundance of SUPER HASSLER (not that i'm sure it comes in any other size)

drinking some Hammerhead Speedway (shout-out to Zam for the pickup/fantastic box) and it's reeeeaaaal good, probably second after Vietnamese for me (i've had all the bottled joints bar Velvet)

I guess I should revisit Hammerhead since I wasn't too crazy about it when fresh. Then again, I also bought Mexican Speedway, and well - we'll see how that goes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So a couple weeks ago I got in on a group order from Belgium in a Box. Got myself a Fantome Saison sur Lis and a Westy 12. Had to go to a dude's house in the West End that smelled like pee and maple syrup to pick 'em up but man, this Fantome poo poo was worth it. I've never had it before, it's seriously the best non-sour/wild/barrel-aged saison I've ever had. It has that familiar clove/coriander/banana Belgian yeast ester thing happening, but there's a deep, musky funk going on underneath it. It's also compellingly gulpable, especially for 8%. This would be a hazard to my health if it were regularly available in a smaller format.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Zam posted:

I guess I should revisit Hammerhead since I wasn't too crazy about it when fresh. Then again, I also bought Mexican Speedway, and well - we'll see how that goes.

it tasted like really thick coffee with chocolate syrup in it, which i can understand other people not loving, but that's about perfect for me

poop dood posted:

12. Had to go to a dude's house in the West End that smelled like pee and maple syrup to pick 'em up but man, this Fantome poo poo was worth it.

AA? gently caress that homophobic scrub

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Was able to finally get my hands on some Founder KBS. Picked up about 6 bottles. Meh, I should've probably tried one before I picked up so many bottles. While the beer is good, it's not up to the hype. I like their Breakfast Stout much better.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The Schwa posted:

Ireland is getting there, but the small breweries are REALLY small (as you'd expect in a country of only a few million)

The only one I'm really familiar with are Galway Bay brewery, which does a fair range but limited distribution.

http://www.beoir.org/ is the hub site for the craft brew scene over there, should get you on the right path.

If you're moving to Dublin, then the Porterhouse is a decent brewhouse that makes their own stouts and ales.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

poop dood posted:

So a couple weeks ago I got in on a group order from Belgium in a Box. Got myself a Fantome Saison sur Lis and a Westy 12. Had to go to a dude's house in the West End that smelled like pee and maple syrup to pick 'em up but man, this Fantome poo poo was worth it. I've never had it before, it's seriously the best non-sour/wild/barrel-aged saison I've ever had. It has that familiar clove/coriander/banana Belgian yeast ester thing happening, but there's a deep, musky funk going on underneath it. It's also compellingly gulpable, especially for 8%. This would be a hazard to my health if it were regularly available in a smaller format.

Always been curious about Fantome, thanks for the review. Will pick up a bottle this week :)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

obi_ant posted:

I like their Breakfast Stout much better.

Correct.

Spuckuk posted:

Always been curious about Fantome, thanks for the review. Will pick up a bottle this week :)

Though apparently it's mostly resolved, Fantome had serious infection issues for years (and not the good kind). It was a kind of roulette you'd play buying a bottle that stopped me from trying more than a couple before I felt my money was better spent elsewhere. But again, word is that that is fixed for the most part.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Though apparently it's mostly resolved, Fantome had serious infection issues for years (and not the good kind). It was a kind of roulette you'd play buying a bottle that stopped me from trying more than a couple before I felt my money was better spent elsewhere. But again, word is that that is fixed for the most part.

between infections and just the general weirdness of their beers, Fantome is always a crapshoot. if you have a proclivity towards herbal and/or funky saisons, check them out

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

between infections and just the general weirdness of their beers, Fantome is always a crapshoot. if you have a proclivity towards herbal and/or funky saisons, check them out

Yeah, thats definitely my jam, and the bottles aren't whalebucks in the EU, so worth rolling the dice.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

I love funky and herbal saisons... but I've never had one from Fantome that wasn't really off in one way or another. I long ago decided that de Blaugies was going to give me something similar or better without the chance of drain pouring. Highly recommend their L'Epeautre (spelt saison) and of course Le Vermontoise, which smells like the best loving weed you've ever had.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Every Fantome I've had has been terrible so I just can't bring myself to try anything from them any more. Of course I don't see it that often these days but there's still some Hiver on shelves a few places and who knows if they're pre-infection days or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What do you guys think of Saison Dupont? It's like the benchmark for saisons to me and inexpensive but still way too much since it feels like it should be about $6-$8 a bomber and not $10+