Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's sometimes in Jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lol if you think they're gonna kill anyone of the psychos that've been around for more than three decades just because they're doing some serious terrorist-level crime.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Does Gotham ever get officially given a state? It might not have the death penalty.
Then again, if someone detonated a WMD in a major city even states opposed to it might make an exception.

Since this is basically terrorism it'd go to the federal level, and the feds have the ability to give out the death penalty (which they would do in this case, given the circumstances).

Obama comes out to give a speech about how he's killed the Joker, crowd goes wild

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Martian Manhunter listed as a GCPD cop at the station in this game? I'm pretty sure he's listed on a board with Bullock and Montoya.

If so, where is he during all of this? Hiding from Firefly?

Edit: Found it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

RareAcumen posted:

Lol if you think they're gonna kill anyone of the psychos that've been around for more than three decades just because they're doing some serious terrorist-level crime.

The writers and IP owners can't shoot any of their meal tickets. I mean, look at what happened to the joker; after killing him they turned around and made an entire game that revolves around the guy...

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It's the last of a trilogy, though. They could kill off literally everyone and then just reboot it for the next series. It's not like various comics haven't rebooted their universes umpteen times already.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If they make an Arkham Beyond game, it would be nice if Old Gotham earned it's happy ending and is a nice place to live. Like it's in decline/twilight and New Gotham-Powers stole all the jobs, but it also stole all the crime.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Felinoid posted:

It's the last of a trilogy, though. They could kill off literally everyone and then just reboot it for the next series. It's not like various comics haven't rebooted their universes umpteen times already.

But HOW, WHAT IF THE FANS WANT MORE JOKER

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The writers and IP owners can't shoot any of their meal tickets. I mean, look at what happened to the joker; after killing him they turned around and made an entire game that revolves around the guy...

That's basically what I'm getting at. Joker's special though because he's the nemesis. You won't see them going through that much work to bring back Firefly or Man Bat if they were to bite the dust.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like he could just super inhale the gas or something.

I am so glad you gave me an excuse to post this picture.

(That's Superman wearing a fake mustache inhaling a poison gas bomb that Joker set off in the UN (Joker is at this point in time the Iranian ambassador to the UN because I guess someone saw Lethal Weapon 2 and thought "diplomatic immunity" would be a villain hook goddamn do i love comics)

But seriously the reason the Justice League doesn't intervene is because SHUT UP DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Suspension of disbelief is pretty much the backbone of any superhero-related media because if you think too hard about any of it, it all falls apart (like why, for example, don't any of the other Avengers help Tony Stark in Iron Man 3 or [insert your own interesting contradiction here]?). Batman must face this challenge alone because this is a Batman game, you can play the fun at-home game of making up excuses for every other superhero not being there. I think the Green Lanterns are all out of town on a company picnic in space.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 2, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't believe there was an arc in which Joker becomes the ambassador of Iran and tries to gas the UN only for Superman to inhale all of the gas while wearing a fake mustache, and the thing that people remember about that arc the most is that Robin died for a while.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure the only people they can 100% pin this chemical terrorist attack on is Scarecrow, who supplied the weapon, the Knight, who supplied the men/vehicles, and Stagg, who supplied the release mechanism. Of those Stagg probably gets out of it for actually trying to stop the attack and tried to keep the release mechanism away from Scarecrow as I understand it, Scarecrow and the Knight are hosed though. The other criminals can reasonably claim they didn't know what Scarecrow's plan was and just decided that with him causing a panic now was the time to do their own lesser crimes.

Also it's always possible that Flash and Superman haven't started doing the hero thing yet, and the other members have less of a reason to care about a single city on earth. Heck the Green Lantern for the sector might still be an alien. There's no suggestion the Justice League exists, just that the people involved are probably around. Heck if they really wanted to make a superman/flash game they could have this travesty be the reason they finally decide to start doing the hero thing.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 2, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe there was an arc in which Joker becomes the ambassador of Iran and tries to gas the UN only for Superman to inhale all of the gas while wearing a fake mustache, and the thing that people remember about that arc the most is that Robin died for a while.

Also Joker sort of knows who Batman is in that story or at least heavily implies it by taking a good long look at Bruce when he bribed his way into being an unofficial observer in the general assembly and laughs at him. Its again the most direct post Reagan era of stories because Joker is somehow made a political figure. And Batman feeds mind control drugs to a villain, and in theory Joker should have started a war between the US and Iran because he gassed the UN. He should be an international enemy of almost every state but comics.

When I mentioned meta humans, however, I didn't specifically mean just heroes. Like I'm pretty sure Lex Luthor isn't pleased that the Gotham freaks have shat on the property value of his current holdings within the city and his intentions to own Wayne Industry as is. Sure, maybe post clean up he could buy Gotham land for a steal, but this may not be something he exactly wanted. And if Clark could tell you anything, its that Luthor does not treat those who disappoint or slight him very well. And this isn't even going to go into all the people that may want their hands on Cloudburst tech.

It's also sort of weird that outside of the police station, almost all of the civilian population in Gotham has evacuated. So if the US government wanted to, they could have probably dropped their own drone strikes into the city well before the cloud burst, even if they're likely just watching the recordings right now. Because remember, THIS IS BEING BROADCAST AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE SCARECROW WANTS PEOPLE TO KNOW THIS IS HIS "VICTORY". This isn't just terrorism, this is Malheur terrorism. There are people showing direct involvement or likely being recorded doing certain poo poo in the city in the attempt to intimidate potential interlopers and batman as this is going on. There is probably a lot of people that have royally hosed themselves by getting involved in this and there could probably be some great comedy in imagining the potential lawyers that would be called up to defend even the low to mid tier goons/captains/super villains. And we also can't forget what Jim Gordan said at the start of this game.

Batman is becoming more Joker by the second.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also it's always possible that Flash and Superman haven't started doing the hero thing yet

The Arkham Knight Militia have made comments suggesting that they have. Something to the effect of "I'd rather stay in Gotham than Keystone. At least you can see Batman coming."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crabtree posted:

It's also sort of weird that outside of the police station, almost all of the civilian population in Gotham has evacuated. So if the US government wanted to, they could have probably dropped their own drone strikes into the city well before the cloud burst, even if they're likely just watching the recordings right now. Because remember, THIS IS BEING BROADCAST AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE SCARECROW WANTS PEOPLE TO KNOW THIS IS HIS "VICTORY". This isn't just terrorism, this is Malheur terrorism. There are people showing direct involvement or likely being recorded doing certain poo poo in the city in the attempt to intimidate potential interlopers and batman as this is going on. There is probably a lot of people that have royally hosed themselves by getting involved in this and there could probably be some great comedy in imagining the potential lawyers that would be called up to defend even the low to mid tier goons/captains/super villains. And we also can't forget what Jim Gordan said at the start of this game.

I think the idea is that Scarecrow got to them, they know that Batman kills now, so they're going out with a bang. If the plan works out, Batman's demoralized and they get to rule their own little corner of the world. If it doesn't they're dead anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that Scarcrow used fear toxin conditioning on all of the big bads, which would be a hell of a mitigating factor in their trial.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"I'd rather stay in Gotham than Keystone. At least you can see Batman coming."

Can they, though? Can they really? :smug:

EDIT: vv Nah, it's totally clean comic book fusion science or something. Totally safe. Hell, you could lick it and it'd be no worse than a 9-volt battery.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2016

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Honestly, what I was worried about more than anything in this episode was the part where Batman pulled out an experimental glowy power core and started waving it around in front of his uncovered face. While I'm sure that radiation poisoning is the least of his problems right now, it seemed just a little bit reckless.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
"Can't... breath" Says the guy wearing a purely cosmetic gas-mask, I guess.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
They've stated several times that gas masks are useless against this strain of fear gas.

Superman isn't immune to things that affect his brain. He's ok with stuff like poison gas and stuff that affects his body, but mental stuff still affects him. He's been mind controlled by Ivy's powers before, for example.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Well, that's just because he's a male. Fear gas designed to drive humans to murderous fear-induced insanity might not affect Kryptonian physiology.

...Depending on who's doing the writing, anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Blastinus posted:

Honestly, what I was worried about more than anything in this episode was the part where Batman pulled out an experimental glowy power core and started waving it around in front of his uncovered face. While I'm sure that radiation poisoning is the least of his problems right now, it seemed just a little bit reckless.

The cloud cells Stagg developed are previously stated to be harmless and environmentally safe, unless they get shot/hacked, in which case they emit a (fairly small) explosion. I like to imagine they're literally just containers of compressed air.

The core Batman pulled out of his car is totally radioactive, though. There's gonna be a postgame sidequest to don a lead-lined suit and retreive it from some criminal, after tracking them down by following the trail of rads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Klaus88 posted:

"Can't... breath" Says the guy wearing a purely cosmetic gas-mask, I guess.

they say ealier that gas masks don't do poo poo against fear gas.

OldMemes posted:

They've stated several times that gas masks are useless against this strain of fear gas.

Superman isn't immune to things that affect his brain. He's ok with stuff like poison gas and stuff that affects his body, but mental stuff still affects him. He's been mind controlled by Ivy's powers before, for example.

^ what he said.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

OldMemes posted:

I'm talking about the guys that Scuffy smoke pelleted early on. :v: Something something, whatever filters they're using aren't effective against smoke or some poo poo, somthing.

Also, I'm very glad that pile driving a guy headfirst into a searchlight is non-lethal, crowd control must be ridiculously easy in the DC verse.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Klaus88 posted:

Also, I'm very glad that pile driving a guy headfirst into a searchlight is non-lethal, crowd control must be ridiculously easy in the DC verse.
Gothamites are made of stern stuff. They kinda have to be if you consider all the poo poo they've put up with over the years.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I have to say the most frustrating part of the comic book physics is the gas-mask thing. Absurd combat vehicle, insane bat-grapple (that totally wouldn't pull batman's arm off), nevermind the absolutely unbelievable grace in flowing combat, sure I can take. Really though, any molecule that has this specific sort of mental effect on human neurochemistry would be relatively large, and easy enough for modern filter systems, nevermind completely closed hermetically sealed systems.
Because batman totally doesn't have a sealed hostile environment combat suit.

Course, that would just completely invalidate scarecrow as a direct threat to batman, so plot convenience it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Coincidentially given recent discussion, Azrael is in tonight's Gotham. Man this show got more fun when they found the grimcamp balance point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why are the cage doors in the blimp set on a timer? Why would you have a time for your test monkeys to roam free and wild in your labs? Just...what?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bruceski posted:

Coincidentially given recent discussion, Azrael is in tonight's Gotham. Man this show got more fun when they found the grimcamp balance point.

I gave up on it partway through season one. Has it really gotten that much better?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Like I said before, Scarecrow needs to change his game from just using toxins. That was Original Joker's thing back in the 40s, you know! He diversified since then!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lotish posted:

Why are the cage doors in the blimp set on a timer? Why would you have a time for your test monkeys to roam free and wild in your labs? Just...what?

How else are you going to get your precious Combat Data?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He could have made a complaint that made total sense, like "You can't leave me here! What if they come back!?" But the cage comment is just baffling!

Otherwise a pretty cool episode. I agree that the city looks better and more interesting drowned in fear clouds, though that may change once I see a full episode of being stuck in the clouds instead of over them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Waffleman_ posted:

I gave up on it partway through season one. Has it really gotten that much better?

Yes (whether it's good depends on your tastes, but there's no denying it's better). Season 2 has gone whole hog on the villains, and it's basically a scenery-chewing competition, like a grim prequel to camp 60s Batman. Really BD Wong has been KILLING it as Strange and everyone else is trying to keep up.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Bruceski posted:

Yes (whether it's good depends on your tastes, but there's no denying it's better). Season 2 has gone whole hog on the villains, and it's basically a scenery-chewing competition, like a grim prequel to camp 60s Batman. Really BD Wong has been KILLING it as Strange and everyone else is trying to keep up.

Really they could call the show GothHAM and it would be completely accurate.

It is truly delightful..

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lotish posted:

He could have made a complaint that made total sense, like "You can't leave me here! What if they come back!?" But the cage comment is just baffling!

Otherwise a pretty cool episode. I agree that the city looks better and more interesting drowned in fear clouds, though that may change once I see a full episode of being stuck in the clouds instead of over them.

I think the actual idea is that the door between Stagg's cage and the monkey's cage is on a timer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
FWIW I think the reason the reason that Gas Masks are ineffective against the New Fear Gas is that it can be absorbed by the skin. I have no idea why a full body HAZMAT suit of some kind wouldn't work other than Plot Reasons.

And for real Scarecrow (and Arkham Knight) have pretty much openly admitted to some hardcore terrorism, and they'd get hung by the federal government at best, and more likely be killed resisting capture, possibly even by the Knight's forces in exchange for a reduced sentence or immunity or whatever. I mean really though the first time Joker poisoned or tried poisoning the water supply he should've been brought up on terrorism charges and poo poo and sent off to gitmo at best or just shot in the back of the head and dumped out at sea or something.

Also I'm glad to hear that Gotham S2 is 'fun' if nothing else. S1 was pretty great when ever little brucie wasn't on screen and it was about cops and gangsters with Penguin being a gangster with a slight gimmick, Nygma being an unappreciated genius, and Jim Gordon being One Good Cop and Donal Logue leaving teeth marks all over the place. John Doman and Jada Pinkett-Smith were also amazing in every scene and they even got a great guy to play Zsasz as someone less kill-crazy and more sociopathic mob enforcer who can become kill-crazy later on in life.

Also while I feel that John Noble is loving killing it as Scarecrow, he needs to do some poo poo besides monologue'ing. He doesn't even feel like he's doing anything, because so far this is the only part of his plan that has succeeded, and it seems massively ineffective and only went off so they could have more crazy fear poo poo. Because the Batmobile doesn't detect the Cloudburst UNTIL ITS FIVE SECONDS FROM GOING OFF.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Viashino_wizard posted:

Really they could call the show GothHAM and it would be completely accurate.

They'll probably change the title to that when Professor Pyg is introduced. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the least Scarecrow could do is maybe pull off some more Barbra like poo poo. For all we know he's been sitting in the same chair for loving hours thinking up ways to try and give the same taunt to batman over and over. I thought your thing was fear, Crane. Not dull monotony.

Scarecrow: "Can he see me on the toilet?"

AK: "No, I've cropped it only show your face."

Scarecrow: "Good. Ahem. You're on your last legs Batman. Everyone you have ever failed weighs upon you like flakes of snow. Burying you little -- by little."

Scarecrow: "How was that, Knight?"

AK:"Eh..."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 3, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure I said this earlier in the thread, but the thing about Scarecrow in this game is that he's spending so much time trying to sound scary that's he's really not being scary.

I mean, Scarecrow has had a few victories up to this point, such as gaining access to Ace Chemicals and the Cloudburst, but I'd say his two major victories up to this point have been:

A. Kidnapping Barbara and making her kill herself in front of Batman, which everyone has already guessed is a fear gas hallucination.

B. Getting the Cloudburst to go off. In a city that's really only full of his own forces at this point. I mean, sure, he's got a mobile tank that can spread the stuff around, but at the moment he's hindering his own side more than Batman's, short of getting the (ineffective) GCPD off of the streets for a while.

The terror?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Given what we see on the street, I'm assuming there's a sizable amount of people that didn't really have anywhere to evacuate to and stayed in Gotham. Most of them are just locked up in their homes hoping the whole thing is going to blow over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I thought Crane's entire failing is that he was almost never scary. He's a dork that relies on chemical agents to induce fear but that's all he is, a brain toxin guy that got bullied in school until he pulled out a gun at prom, got his high school bully paralyzed and the cheerleader that rejected him killed in the same car crash. This makes him almost fetishistically obsessed with fear and leads him down the path of psychology just to observe and gently caress around with phobias. When he gets fired from a college professor job after playing with fire arms again, he turns to super villainy because he's a vindictive little poo poo. loving Killer Croc has done more to make the nerd actually be frightening by mangling his face than he's ever done, depending on if Linda Friitawa or Fright exists in Arkhamverse.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 3, 2016

• Locked thread