Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Oh neat. Yeah; last I had seen, it was just "coming sometime later in the year".

Probably gonna see Ohranger next; I doubt they think they have a market for pre-Zyu season.

honestly i think at this point the market for ohranger and beyond is the same as the market for the pre-zyu stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Because Shout Factory ships early if you pre-order from them, I got my Kakuranger DVDs today.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mateo360 posted:

Because Shout Factory ships early if you pre-order from them, I got my Kakuranger DVDs today.

holy poo poo gently caress you i want them give me yours

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

Shiiiiit, I was only looking at the Amazon store page! I wish I had known this....

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/tv-action-adventure/ninja-sentai-kakuranger-the-complete-series

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I think I prefer Amazon's price point...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

I think I prefer Amazon's price point...
When I used amazon for Dairanger, it came a month late.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
deep specter looks better than i thought, still not wild about it's horns

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Burkion posted:

Best of luck, those things get stupidly expensive online

It really is best to jump on these legacy toys as soon as it's fiscally responsible to do so. I waited on the legacy thunder megazord and thought I was screwed, but then they released a retooled version that fixes its balance issues and TRU dropped a 20% coupon at the same time so I immediately jumped on it. Still bitterly disappointed at the mega tigerzord but the TM is so show accurate and pretty.

Now I'm just gambling on the falconzord hitting one more price drop.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I think I'll wait until Comic-Con to buy Kakuranger, maybe it'll come with some swag

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/MrJames079/status/726535061168857092/

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Found this twitter account from DnD https://twitter.com/GIGABEETLE

https://twitter.com/GIGABEETLE/status/726790708431036420

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would likely unironically do that if I could

My favorite way to pose my SIC Tackle is with her full Kamen Rider helmet and wearing Stronger's scarf. Just something satisfying about her getting to be a full Rider. Her assuming Stronger's identity is also great.

Man I wish Stronger didn't get cancelled early.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

After spending several months watching Kamen Rider OOO, I guess I'm a toku fan now. Started W, which is pretty fun so far. Gay detectives a pretty loving fabulous premise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

I would likely unironically do that if I could

My favorite way to pose my SIC Tackle is with her full Kamen Rider helmet and wearing Stronger's scarf. Just something satisfying about her getting to be a full Rider. Her assuming Stronger's identity is also great.

Man I wish Stronger didn't get cancelled early.

I thought Amazon was the one that got canned early

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gigabeetle's good

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nerdman42 posted:

After spending several months watching Kamen Rider OOO, I guess I'm a toku fan now. Started W, which is pretty fun so far. Gay detectives a pretty loving fabulous premise

W is a lot better than OOO.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The villains immediately seem a lot more interesting at least. The only thing I remember liking about the Greed was Weird Puppet Guy and the Green Jacket rear end in a top hat becoming the most devious and interesting one.

I'm not super fond of the plucky girl sidekick so far, but Shotaro and Phillip are great and need to kiss already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She gets better later on and fortunately never gets in the way of Shotaro and Philip kissing. I mean solving crimes.

I mean kissing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

I thought Amazon was the one that got canned early

Nah

They were switching TV channels, which meant a lot more than it does nowadays back then, but still had time left to air a show.

So instead of starting a show and then switching channels while it was 20+ episodes in, which would have been a ratings disaster and a horrible idea, they just made a show that was always meant to be really short by comparison. Its, if I had to guess, why Amazon got to be so wildly different than pretty much all other Kamen Rider series and experiment with drat near everything.

The violence largely did get toned down due to complaints, and it did lead to toku getting less violent from then on, at least as far as dismemberment and the like go, but Amazon rode out his series exactly as intended.

Kamen Rider Stronger on the flip side was meant to go for a full 51 episode series, with the final third of the series planned to bring back Tackle as a full on Kamen Rider, but Stronger was simply out preformed by another series that started up at the same time and aired at the same time on the channel Rider had left.

Goranger.

So yeah Super Sentai cockblocked Stronger down to 39 episodes. It's a shame they never revisited bringing Tackle back as a true Kamen Rider, and I really want to know what the full plan would have been considering the insanity we did get for Stronger's finale, but nothing much to do about it now.

The real tragedy is that Toei completely missed the boat on doing anything further with the original characters, as both Tackle and Stronger's actors have sadly passed on. It's one reason why I'm very happy they're going out of their way to do more with Hongo and I hope the other surviving actors get their due as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If anything, Akiko starts out alright-good and gets way, way worse in the post-series stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She is the worst wife in the world.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

She's fine in everything up to and including the end of the show, so I'm comfortable blaming that on the writers of Core and Accel. Especially Core.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider Stronger on the flip side was meant to go for a full 51 episode series, with the final third of the series planned to bring back Tackle as a full on Kamen Rider, but Stronger was simply out preformed by another series that started up at the same time and aired at the same time on the channel Rider had left.

I would've been happier not knowing this.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

The villains immediately seem a lot more interesting at least. The only thing I remember liking about the Greed was Weird Puppet Guy and the Green Jacket rear end in a top hat becoming the most devious and interesting one.

I'm not super fond of the plucky girl sidekick so far, but Shotaro and Phillip are great and need to kiss already.

Weird puppet guy is in Amazons and is the Hot Dad analogue in Ultraman X

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

I would've been happier not knowing this.

I wish it happened

I really do

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I still enjoy OOO more than W. Logic be damned

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Motto posted:

She's fine in everything up to and including the end of the show, so I'm comfortable blaming that on the writers of Core and Accel. Especially Core.

On the other hand, Accel is so good that it manages to survive Akiko being The Worst (tm).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
akiko rules

gently caress the haters

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

On the other hand, Accel is so good that it manages to survive Akiko being The Worst (tm).

that just makes the subplot stand out even more as opposed to Core just doing its thing

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

John McClane posted:

Weird puppet guy is in Amazons and is the Hot Dad analogue in Ultraman X

Wait, do you mean the actor or does Maki actually come back in Amazons

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nerdman42 posted:

Wait, do you mean the actor or does Maki actually come back in Amazons

Same actor, don't remember who he was in Amazons though.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Cool, glad to know they get repeat work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nerdman42 posted:

Cool, glad to know they get repeat work.

Wouldn't even be the first time, he also made a cameo in the first episode of Akibaranger Season 2 (complete with a doll on his arm).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 2, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

I wish it happened

I really do

Are there any images of what this idea would have ended up looking like? Concept art, manga version, what if figure?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Larryb posted:

Same actor, don't remember who he was in Amazons though.

He's the director of international sales or whatever, Tachibana.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Akiko rules, and so does the dream sequence period-drama episode where feudal Japanese W's Gaiamemories are made of wood.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

After smashing that chair into a monster and keeping that little development in later episodes, Akiko has definitely won me over. That was rad as poo poo.

Wakana seems like someone who's gonna turn good later? That entire arc where everyone blames her for having a stalker was great. I thought it was interesting how even her family, who sell the Dopants in the first and have sold it to multiple Wakana stalkers, act like it was her fault she was being harassed. That's exactly the kind of evil bullshit I like in a villain. That whole family is hosed up and I can't wait to see how evil they can get.

I like Red-Splotch Husband villain too, he's cool. He's already gotten some interesting development and I assume he'll get a lot more. Probably no full redemption or anything, unless he or Wakana get killed off trying to escape the family. I'd put good money on Saeko killing him off black widow style. Either way, these characters have got so many interesting things going on with lots of different ways they could go.

I'm putting even more money on Phillip being the little brother Wakana mentioned. They aren't even really hiding it, but it has a lot of fascinating implications for the family. The Sonozaki family seems hosed up enough that they would experiment on the littlest kid.

I'm basically strapped into W now. Its loving great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Kirihiko is a great character.

Please keep posting reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I will definitely do that right now actually because those last few episodes are AMAZING and give me a lot to talk about.

I like that as soon as I assume Phillip is a Sonozaki, Saeko basically confirms it Which also means Wakana is being seriously kept out of the loop, which is about what I’d expect. She’s 100% on the redemption path.

Until Saeko said something about “being the family chosen by the Earth” I didn’t really attach any symbolism to the name “Gaia-memories” until then. I just took it for granted as its name. So they’re using the “history of the Earth” to make this poo poo? How the gently caress does that work. I mean, other than evil science. I doubt that they’re actually on orders from the earth, but this is the same franchise with sentient coins so maybe my doubt is arbitrary.

I also didn’t put together than the Gaia Memories are clearly an allegory to drugs until one guy was rambling about tasting its forbidden fruit and how hard it is to give up. And then, you know, the whole “don’t sell it to kids” and “sharing the drugs is bad” and “withdrawl” and its really obvious in hindsight. Rich drug lord villains trying to change the city into their idea of “Good” is the noirest villain and I approve.

Speaking of, Mr. Sonozaki constantly guilt-tripping his daughters is the exactly the kind of dick move I expected. “Wakana, this thing that turns you into a monster that shatters painfully is our bond as a family” “Saeko, you need to live up to these unreasonable expectations and if your husband doesn’t do well I blame you too”

Akiko’s hands BLEEDING AS SHE TRIES TO STOP SHOTARO FROM FALLING TO HIS DEATH is the most loving brutal thing ever I love it. Also GOOGLE WAS ON FIRE.

Kirihiko and Shotaro bonding over how much they love Fuuto is the funniest and later saddest thing in the world and I almost wish that scene lasted longer. I guessed Saeko would pull a black widow on Kirihiko and that didn’t any less sad. I’ll miss that loser.

This show is the loving coolest and I wanna talk about it forever. OOO usually left me worn out every couple episodes or so but I just want to absorb W into my soul.

• Locked thread