Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

online friend posted:

because if you get called out on being wrong about a thing you shouldn't double down on being wrong

Thats not a good reason to be angry. Soon you'll only be left arguing with yourself about how good you are at masturbating about security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Paul MaudDib posted:

One rule will never catch 99.9% of anything. You're an idiot who's trying to score points by making an impossible request.

:lol:

OK, I'll keep that in mind if I piss off the NSA (but seriously - if they're giving you 1-on-1 attention you're hosed, they're getting in one way or another).

Do you not drive with seatbelts because someone might t-bone you at 80 miles per hour and in that case you'd die anyway? Antivirus picks most of the low-hanging fruit - yeah the NSA is getting in regardless, but you don't have to make it easy for the first script-kiddie who gets a chance at you.

You're an idiot if you think the NSA has anything to do with average consumer security. No wonder you're "formerly employed" by an antivirus company.

Guessing 4 posts before he makes a "kill yourself" post.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mustache Ride posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ, why is everyone so loving angry in these threads?

Yeah I don't get it either, I have to wade through 10 posts of bile but I usually learn a thing or get a suspicion confirmed.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Thats not a good reason to be angry. Soon you'll only be left arguing with yourself about how good you are at masturbating about security.

you had me at "masturbating"

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're an idiot

You're an idiot

i was laughing at your naivete earlier but you really shouldn't be throwing around insults when you're running around believing things like "95% of the time, it works every time"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Way to beg the question. In the real world,

• Users don't use antivirus (hello members of this thread)
  • Users don't keep antivirus up to date
  • Users disable antivirus when the virus asks them to
  • Users add viruses to ignore list when their AV trips on it because they really want to run it
  • Users use pirated Windows or AV installations that cannot be scanned by AV

and that's the AV-related causes of why viruses spread.
[...]
Ransomware isn't really any different than a standard virus, which also spread quite prodigously.

Hmmm yes ransomware wouldn't spread if people stopped doing the things you listed please tell me more.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Rufus Ping posted:

Which part of the Data Protection Act mandates AV?

The part where the compliance auditor tells you need to have it on all of your workstations. Whether or not its actually a legal requirement means very little if the auditor won't pass you without it. I have seen this happen many times. Its a strange mixture of encouraging, puzzling, and stupid.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 1, 2016

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

The HIPAA Security Rule has malicious software protection as Addressable rather than Required, and certainly doesn't mandate lovely consumer AV. There are definitely HIPAA compliant shops that don't install AV on end user PCs.

Consumer AV (or even ESET) doesn't meet the PCI DSS requirement, nor is it a necessary component of meeting the requirement -- if you somehow magically have a system that meets the requirement, and you remove AV, it will still meet the (ridiculous, impossible) requirement.

I've been a US Gov't contractor for DOE labs working on clusters for nuclear simulation, without AV, and had no issue.

And HIPAA auditors look for some way that you have addressed the risk posed by malicious software. Most of them take this to mean that you need AV. You can meet the requirement in other ways. But those tend to be a pain in the rear end. (But so is AV, so meh.) Not talking about consumer grade AV here btw. I have seen hundreds of clients forced to install AV because a PCI auditor told them he wouldn't pass them unless they did. But some auditors overlook it totally every now and then. Its really odd.

I will admit that my experience with government contracting is pretty thin. The one client I had that was in that field swore up and down that AV was an absolute requirement. He also had a bunch of other wacky requirements, like only US citizens could work on his stuff, and only after they had been though a background check, so I don't know.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 1, 2016

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Mustache Ride posted:

Infosec Internet Discussions:
75% "How hack girlfrindz facebook????"
10% "12 year old copy-pasting old 'zine articles about wardialing and acting smug and/or charlatans"
10% "Adults with jobs comparing internet dicks"
2.5% "We made a logo and a name for some real stupid non-exploitable bug to make our resume's look cooler p.s. please hire us"
2.5% "Actual good information and discussion"

invision fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 1, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

invision posted:

Infosec Internet Discussions:
75% "How hack girlfrindz facebook????"
10% "12 year old copy-pasting old 'zine articles about wardialing and acting smug"
10% "Adults with jobs comparing internet dicks"
2.5% "We made a logo and a name for some real stupid non-exploitable bug to make our resume's look cooler p.s. please hire us"
2.5% "Actual good information and discussion"

You forgot to add charlatans somewhere in that list.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

You forgot to add charlatans somewhere in that list.

fixed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Good Dumplings posted:

Guessing 4 posts before he makes a "kill yourself" post.

Why? It's just YOSPOS having some drunken weekend anal leakage. You've got OSI Bean Dip, the Internet Antivirus Expert who once interned at Symantec or something, who just keeps asking someone to explain antivirus to him and who thinks the NSA is going after grandma's cat pictures (the explanation he gave in the thread he linked for why antivirus sucked, after I got past all the "under construction" paragraphs), and a bunch of white noise posters.

It would almost be funny if they weren't giving such bad advice. Sure, anyone who posts in this forum can probably avoid clicking any obvious malware links or opening a suspicious attachment. But that's not good advice for a business or for your aunt who loves those FWD: FWD: FWD: emails.

Mustache Ride posted:

So angry. One of these idiots actually started stalking my posts to yell at me in other forums. Saturday night on Something Awful Dot Com, y'all :lol:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

and a bunch of white noise posters.

don't whitewash my noise

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Adix posted:

don't whitewash my noise

sorry, brown noise

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Anyways, back on track:

If ya'll haven't done OSCP, you're missing out on a stupidly fun time.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why? It's just YOSPOS having some drunken weekend anal leakage. You've got OSI Bean Dip, the Internet Antivirus Expert who once interned at Symantec or something, who just keeps asking someone to explain antivirus to him and who thinks the NSA is going after grandma's cat pictures (the explanation he gave in the thread he linked for why antivirus sucked, after I got past all the "under construction" paragraphs), and a bunch of white noise posters.

It would almost be funny if they weren't giving such bad advice. Sure, anyone who posts in this forum can probably avoid clicking any obvious malware links or opening a suspicious attachment. But that's not good advice for a business or for your aunt who loves those FWD: FWD: FWD: emails.

So angry. One of these idiots actually started stalking my posts to yell at me in other forums. Saturday night on Something Awful Dot Com, y'all :lol:

So why can't you answer the questions I threw at you instead of devolving to throwing insults as if somehow I have maligned you?

Surely you know must know more than me so step up here or show yourself out.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

The YOSPOS crowd here has you far out paced when it comes to security credentials, have you done any work in security?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

invision posted:

Anyways, back on track:

If ya'll haven't done OSCP, you're missing out on a stupidly fun time.

This is truth. A serious blast that is also very challenging in a good way.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Antillie posted:

I will admit that my experience with government contracting is pretty thin. The one client I had that was in that field swore up and down that AV was an absolute requirement. He also had a bunch of other wacky requirements, like only US citizens could work on his stuff, and only after they had been though a background check, so I don't know.

I can believe the latter half of this. My brother works for a government contractor providing technical support for the Forest Service, and he had to pass a background check for that. (Apparently the Forest Service has people who are technically federal law enforcement, so I suspect that plays a role.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I wrote software that handled all the data on some classified clusters as a foreign national without a background check. The parameters of gov't contracting are broad and varied.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I wrote software that handled all the data on some classified clusters as a foreign national without a background check. The parameters of gov't contracting are broad and varied.

Were you like sub-sub-sub-sub-contracted?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Paul MaudDib posted:

your ability to understand basic english is as good as your understanding of security

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's been alleged (but not proven) that NSA put backdoors in Dual_EC_DRBG. For latest news check out the Juniper stuff from last year.

(It's almost definitely the NSA)

Baxta fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 2, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paul MaudDib posted:

You talk poo poo about other posters a whole goddamn lot, but you're not really bringing credentials or knowledge to the table here.

But let's talk about mine. I'm familiar with infosec, but it's not where my primary experience is at. It's computer janitoring. Cleaning up after home users.

And you haven't actually made a case where antivirus helps. Let's take your 95% figure, a number you pulled out of your arse. Aunt Stupid, opening attachments infinitely, will not be helped by antivirus. They're going to get hit by something sooner rather than later unless someone manages to hammer "don't open unknown poo poo you fuckhead" into their head, or somehow prevents them from being able to run malware, be it by disabling poo poo from running at all, handing them an iPad or installing Gentoo. Antivirus would have to be loving perfect to help Aunt Stupid - but you can't fix stupid. I'm sorry.

Antivirus can't catch everything, and what it's missing - given the infinite flood of poo poo that is the internet, that's a lot these days - is plenty to ruin your day when cryptolocker hits and the last backups are from 2012. Antivirus relying on signatures is an absurd idea given just how many variations of malware get in. Antivirus relying on heuristics expects the anti-malware company to have a perfectly secure sandbox that's undetectable from the inside - which is quite the tall order given that malware writers can just buy - or more likely pirate - the antivirus and test it until it passes. This is without even starting on the subject security flaws in antivirus products. Everything in this paragraph has been said better by people more experienced than me and you didn't listen then, I don't know why I wrote it.

Antivirus is like a communal condom that's a bit leaky and keeps getting reused. You may think it protects you. But anyone with even basic understanding of this poo poo actually works is going to be some mixture of horrified and amused.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

endlessmonotony posted:

You talk poo poo about other posters a whole goddamn lot, but you're not really bringing credentials or knowledge to the table here.

But let's talk about mine. I'm familiar with infosec, but it's not where my primary experience is at. It's computer janitoring. Cleaning up after home users.

And you haven't actually made a case where antivirus helps. Let's take your 95% figure, a number you pulled out of your arse. Aunt Stupid, opening attachments infinitely, will not be helped by antivirus. They're going to get hit by something sooner rather than later unless someone manages to hammer "don't open unknown poo poo you fuckhead" into their head, or somehow prevents them from being able to run malware, be it by disabling poo poo from running at all, handing them an iPad or installing Gentoo. Antivirus would have to be loving perfect to help Aunt Stupid - but you can't fix stupid. I'm sorry.

Antivirus can't catch everything, and what it's missing - given the infinite flood of poo poo that is the internet, that's a lot these days - is plenty to ruin your day when cryptolocker hits and the last backups are from 2012. Antivirus relying on signatures is an absurd idea given just how many variations of malware get in. Antivirus relying on heuristics expects the anti-malware company to have a perfectly secure sandbox that's undetectable from the inside - which is quite the tall order given that malware writers can just buy - or more likely pirate - the antivirus and test it until it passes. This is without even starting on the subject security flaws in antivirus products. Everything in this paragraph has been said better by people more experienced than me and you didn't listen then, I don't know why I wrote it.

Antivirus is like a communal condom that's a bit leaky and keeps getting reused. You may think it protects you. But anyone with even basic understanding of this poo poo actually works is going to be some mixture of horrified and amused.

We have ESET on everything in the office. I like it because if a laptop goes missing I can track it and the boss asked for anti virus.

Other than that it doesn't do anything because our firewall is good.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

thread.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

/server irc.synirc.org
/join #infosec

invision fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 2, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I'm having an annoying argument with our central IT infosec team at the moment over whether Windows client machine AV is even worth the hassle/expense. We (big public sector org) keep getting hit by web and email based malware that the AV does nothing for, yet they insist it's critical for endpoint protection.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Unless your person in charge of IT at the executive level is hip enough to not be susceptible to all the fearmongering clickbait and chain emails, you're probably going to be running AV on everything because WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF and no logic or intelligent discussion will sway them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You know, most organizations I see constantly have prompts to update Acrobat Reader and Java and whatever. You can argue about antivirus all you want, but regardless, it's not the most important step in security.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mr Chips posted:

I'm having an annoying argument with our central IT infosec team at the moment over whether Windows client machine AV is even worth the hassle/expense. We (big public sector org) keep getting hit by web and email based malware that the AV does nothing for, yet they insist it's critical for endpoint protection.
People don't get fired for buying AV so until it becomes a recognized attack vector in the real world, AV's not going anywhere in most companies.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: double

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

dpbjinc posted:

You know, most organizations I see constantly have prompts to update Acrobat Reader and Java and whatever. You can argue about antivirus all you want, but regardless, it's not the most important step in security.

At least my section is all over this - patches are up to date, Applocker/SRPs have stoped a bunch of drive-bys, Flash is the one you get in Chrome or nothing at all, that one enterprise Java 6 app is published via RDS, etc etc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

invision posted:

Were you like sub-sub-sub-sub-contracted?

No, our invoices were sent to the labs, and I worked directly with their systems staff.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

apseudonym posted:

The YOSPOS crowd here has you far out paced when it comes to security credentials, have you done any work in security?

If they have professional experience, why don't they do more than ask me how antivirus works? I explained it to them, and they said "nah" and asked again. I read the thread they told me to read and their explanation was that the NSA was gonna blast right through consumer antivirus and I guess their edge filtering was gonna stop the NSA in their tracks or something.

lol OK

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

If they have professional experience, why don't they do more than ask me how antivirus works? I explained it to them, and they said "nah" and asked again. I read the thread they told me to read and their explanation was that the NSA was gonna blast right through consumer antivirus and I guess their edge filtering was gonna stop the NSA in their tracks or something.

lol OK
You might want to stop doubling down sometime soon, you showed your hand a while ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

endlessmonotony posted:

Mmm, yes, Aunt Stupid installing gentoo. I'm sure she's gonna be A-OK with compiling kernels and portage and poo poo.

Do you actually have any family members? Or at least someone you would describe as close to you?

e: Furthermore, security by infinitesimal user-base is not a viable defense mechanism. Seriously, this thread - "forget antivirus, just install gentoo on grandma's computer" :lol:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2016

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

If they have professional experience, why don't they do more than ask me how antivirus works?

because you obviously don't know how it actually works, and what actual detection rates in the real world for AV suites are

you were given a perfectly reasonable and accurate explanation by a person who, for all intents and purposes is way smarter than you as to why AV is not the same line of defense it was 15 years ago but you just kept doubling down on being wrong, and then got all pissy because he posts in YOSPOS

protip: it doesn't matter where the person who is calling you out on being wrong posts, because at the end of the day you're still loving wrong

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mmm, yes, Aunt Stupid installing gentoo. I'm sure she's gonna be A-OK with compiling kernels and portage and poo poo.

have you ever heard the word "hyperbole" or are you purposely being this stupid

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: Furthermore, security by infinitesimal user-base is not a viable defense mechanism. Seriously, this thread - "forget antivirus, just install gentoo on grandma's computer" :lol:
Do you have selective hearing, or are just wilfully dense at this point?

Subjunctive posted:

My company has > 10K end-user machines and we don't run AV.

But I'm curious: what would you do that would replace AV but be really expensive?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

online friend posted:

because you obviously don't know how it actually works, and what actual detection rates in the real world for AV suites are

you were given a perfectly reasonable and accurate explanation by a person who, for all intents and purposes is way smarter than you as to why AV is not the same line of defense it was 15 years ago but you just kept doubling down on being wrong, and then got all pissy because he posts in YOSPOS

protip: it doesn't matter where the person who is calling you out on being wrong posts, because at the end of the day you're still loving wrong

I actually don't have plat and can't look up where he posts. Unlike the guy from this thread who stalked my posts so he could argue with me in another forum. I just could tell because he's a shitposter.

Where's the explanation? Link it for me. He told me to read a thread where his explanation was that the NSA was gonna get Grandma's cat pics. There was nothing but "under construction" on the first page of the thread and that was the first explanation he gave in the thread. I'm not joking.

online friend posted:

have you ever heard the word "hyperbole" or are you purposely being this stupid

Yeah, I'm dead serious. Have you ever known someone who wasn't a techie or is this rhetorical? My aunt is afraid to upgrade from her XP machine because Win7 is all different and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually don't have plat and can't look up where he posts. Unlike the guy from this thread who stalked my posts so he could argue with me in another forum. I just could tell because he's a shitposter.

Where's the explanation? Link it for me. He told me to read a thread where his explanation was that the NSA was gonna get Grandma's cat pics. There was nothing but "under construction" on the first page of the thread and that was the first explanation he gave in the thread. I'm not joking.

Yeah, I'm dead serious. Have you ever known someone who wasn't a techie or is this rhetorical? My aunt is afraid to upgrade from her XP machine because Win7 is all different and poo poo

Afraid to upgrade XP you say? Better give them AV software too, that way when they don't update the AV it can be another threat vector too!