Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

And it ends the only way it could end: with a Ween song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I know Normal Lear is considered an innovator and a genius but...zzzzzzzzzz. The improv that came after was amazing, though.

And the Geordi White music continues to sound like background music on a DVD or video game menu...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, that episode was pretty boring.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Anybody offhand remember which episode has Kumail going down the rabbit hole of getting Schrabbed? I know it's on YouTube but wanted to download the whole episode again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bartlebee posted:

Anybody offhand remember which episode has Kumail going down the rabbit hole of getting Schrabbed? I know it's on YouTube but wanted to download the whole episode again.

According to Salon.com, it was episode 109, "Jaime Lannister's Hand".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's also the one where Spencer nails a Greg Proops impression when playing Tylenol with Codeine.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I know Normal Lear is considered an innovator and a genius but...zzzzzzzzzz. The improv that came after was amazing, though.

And the Geordi White music continues to sound like background music on a DVD or video game menu...

I enjoyed the interview, I think all three of them were star struck that Lear was there.

All I know is I'll never look at Jerry Lewis the same way :stare:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
5/11/16

Minute twenty. Dan has said "problematic" about thirty times. No end in sight. No one seems clear on exactly what his actual point is. Tell my family I love them.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
There is light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is Tony the baby. Hold fast friendo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Remember that time Dan spent an hour arguing pedophilia should be legal?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

There is light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is Tony the baby. Hold fast friendo

I need to reiterate this. Stick it out.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
What a perfect episode. Pseudo-intellectual ranting. Couch-psychology on a audience member. A hilarious improv with a classic character. Well done song. Everything I want. (And special guests that participate and not turn the show into a interview show).

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm biased since I love the Doughboys podcast, but they need to be on more. They got off to a bit of a nervous, slow start but really kicked into full gear for the improv.

Either that or more UCB improv people, I loving love that improv is the new Shadowrun, it's the best. Not that there's a lack of improv podcasts, but they have a really fun style with Dan and his writer-background setups and Jeff with short-form experience adding his quick bits.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm biased since I love the Doughboys podcast, but they need to be on more. They got off to a bit of a nervous, slow start but really kicked into full gear for the improv.

Either that or more UCB improv people, I loving love that improv is the new Shadowrun, it's the best. Not that there's a lack of improv podcasts, but they have a really fun style with Dan and his writer-background setups and Jeff with short-form experience adding his quick bits.

I haven't listened to their podcast before, mostly because I feel it would lead me down a fatter road, but this episode was great. Best improv they've done in a long time, though I felt bad for the audience member since she just didn't know what to do. Luckily the improvisers set it up perfectly so that she was never the main focus of a scene.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I haven't listened to their podcast before, mostly because I feel it would lead me down a fatter road, but this episode was great. .

They talked so highly about Wendy's in one episode I ate there almost immediately after listening to it. I also ordered way more than I would normally order.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I actually spent some time with crazy laugh guy, and yeah you guys are spot on. Just not a ton of self-awareness. Otherwise a totally nice dude. Same for Dave Klein.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Dave Klein lives in a van down by the river

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Living in Los Angeles, I feel it is my duty to remove Laugh Guy's larynx. For God's sake, the hosts even got tired of him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Real good improv, and even the bummer stuff wasn't too boring, so great episode. I forgot Spencer was there; they should sent him to some Groundlings classes or something so he can contribute.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
15 minutes in, and it's about pants making GBS threads, which account is his?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'd pay a few bux a month to get messages from Rob Schrab. :allears:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hi I'm Dave Klein and my life sucks, this is all I have!

YUP

YUP

YUP YUP YUP YUP YUP YUPYUPYUPYUP

Also I hate the improv almost always but then there's gems in there so I keep listening but it may not be worth it? People seem to think the improvs are consistently funny, but I sure don't agree!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Also I hate the improv almost always but then there's gems in there so I keep listening but it may not be worth it? People seem to think the improvs are consistently funny, but I sure don't agree!

I miss D&D/Shadowrun (especially when Dan would get pissed off and be DM for a one-off session), but the improv has some good stuff in it sometimes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Long form improv is great if you like your jokes spaced out. You know you aren't gonna get too many good jokes, and they're gonna be at least five minutes apart, so it won't agitate your heart too much

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I watch this show because its like being in the writers room. Ever get drunk with your friends and make each other laugh? Thats this.

IF you have no friends, because thats why you are a goon, then this might not resonate with you.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I love any episode with Rob Schrab because it is a near guarantee that at some point in the track there will just be three minutes of him screaming on and off with no explanation

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know when I hang out with my friends attention-seeking total bummer brokebrains who are incapable of reading the loving room hijack my convos and tell me incredibly boring incredibly similar stories about their failed attempts to make it as a writer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like Harmontown should make it a hard and fast rule to not have a bummer story if you're from the audience. There's a reason that mbmbam, an infinitely superior comedy podcast, has that rule, and it's especially worse when it's not just a super bummer story but THE EXACT SAME SUPER BUMMER STORY. Also when the story's how they're introverted, shy, socially awkward, and some variation of depressed guess what, they loving suck as interviews from being-shocker- introverted, shy, socially awkward, and some variation of depressing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Preach it. I made like the exact same post a few months ago but apparently some people like the bummers because it brings variety to the show? Seems like pissing in the punch bowl to me though. I was so glad the other week when they didn't have time to get to seizure guy who's off his meds and could die any second.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Am I the only one who skipped through all of that Sikh Donnely guy's appearances?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There was a time I defended him and his story as powerful but it's hit the point where you're just listening to a guy with a literally broken brain get his lethal attitude enabled by others. Like I do m honestly have to wonder if he'd have ever gone off his meds or left his doctors if dan didn't tacitly endorse the hunter s Thompson/Ernest Hemingway lifestyle. If anything the one thing I really dislike about dan Is that he subconsciously buys into the hazardous and objectively wrong mentality that to be a powerful or effective creative you have to have suffered trauma and that sort of razors edge suicidal tendency/self-destructive lifestyle is something that dan really ideates. It's really dangerous not only because dan very transparently wants to die under that sort of status (troubled moody creative with addictions and problems who's mourned as a genius who left the earth too soon) and, whether or not he says it, he very clearly believes that's the right way for any creative to live, because it validates his own worst tendencies. And due to harmontown it gives him a platform and influence and that's when it gets harmful, because stuff like Sikh turns into this guy enabling a mentally ill dude to quit treatment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is he mentally ill? I thought he just had seizures.

Everybody's gotta make those kinds of decisions for themselves, so I'm not gonna judge the guy's choice. But he's a real downer.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

You make it sound like people are derailing the show with sob stories when that's exactly what Dan is asking from them. I'm not a huge fan either, but it's not something I get surprised about when Dan literally asks "is there someone out there who doesn't have a good mom relationship" and we then get a sad story about a dysfunctional mom relationship.

I'm not saying it's the best, or even fun, part of the show but he's actively seeking out sad stories so he can practice his armchair psychology. The fun is later when it's taken to a sarcastic degree by Schrab or Jeff. Or the Doughboys "Waaaah. Anything is better then that pussy I just came out of! YouknowwhatI'msayin??"

As for Klein, I don't really notice the Yups unless Dan or Jeff remark on them. Much like the laughing people, I tune it out. At least he's not forcing himself on the stage, he only goes up when asked.

He did however really push his luck with me on this recent video episode. Doing some weird 'praying' arms thing at every Dan rant. It took some creative video editing to find camera angles he wasn't blocking.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zsinjeh posted:

You make it sound like people are derailing the show with sob stories when that's exactly what Dan is asking from them. I'm not a huge fan either, but it's not something I get surprised about when Dan literally asks "is there someone out there who doesn't have a good mom relationship" and we then get a sad story about a dysfunctional mom relationship.

I'm not saying it's the best, or even fun, part of the show but he's actively seeking out sad stories so he can practice his armchair psychology.

Yes, Dan is definitely the one to blame for this. Although, at this point, brokebrain bummers are elbowing each other out of the way to get onstage so they can tell dan how sad their particular story is, so there's enough people at fault that you can point a finger in any particular direction and land on someone who's ruining the show via their presence and actions.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
More regular people from the audience telling sad stories. Less feral audio and starburns industries cliques trying to keep a career going. Please.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sorry, man I did not know you read this forum.

cwinkle fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 8, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

spencer got really lucky. I would love to be in proximity to scrhrab and the rest as often as he is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh man, adam... chill out man. going too strong and too complicated of jokes at the start.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
lol at any hope of changing Adam's stupid face and life

Cool lovely hacky freud joke dipshit.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to old episodes, and Adam closes one of the episodes with a pretty funny rendition of "Dream the Impossible Dream," and I'm like "What the hell did he do to screw this up?" By the next episode he'd "coincidentally" run into them at their favorite bar the night before, and then he stormed the stage to talk about it.