Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Begemot posted:

I need to read Purple Haze Feedback.

It's really good, so yes, do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think people would be a lot Harsher on Soft & Wet of Gappy's moveset wasn't primary loving sweet CQC moves

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Soft & Wet is vague in a good way. It's power is simply defined but can be used to do just about anything. I loved the part early where it steals the friction from the floor.

It wouldn't really work as an enemy stand because it's too powerful, but because Gappy is always on the defensive it's fine. First he has to figure out what the hell is even happening before he can bubble his way to victory.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Begemot posted:

Soft & Wet is vague in a good way. It's power is simply defined but can be used to do just about anything. I loved the part early where it steals the friction from the floor.

Yeah I think this is the key difference. Gold Experience's power is like one of those comically large swiss army knives with a hundred different tools inside. It's not like you can't understand it, it's just kind of absurd how varied the Stand's toolset is. Compare it to Soft and Wet, where it can do one very specific thing, but it can be applied to just about everything. It kind of begs you to think about how you would use it to solve a problem.

To put things simply, whenever Giorno does something crazy I usually think, "Wait, he can do that?" whereas Gappy makes me think, "Holy poo poo, he did that!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, put me down for someone else who considers Soft & Wet akin to Golden Experience done "Right," where its basic utility is versatile enough to be absurdly strong yet vague enough to require some solid problem-solving skills to get the most out of it.

I've said this before, but in a genre where the good guy's victory is pretty much always assured from the get-go, it's important to imbue their victories with a certain sense of ownership. Our protagonist may be doomed to win, but a good writer can still wring some satisfaction from showing us how.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

I didn't find gold experience too complicated to understand, just way too vague in terms of powers. He could punch life into things so there ended up being like way too many things that tied back into this, and also something about reflecting damage sometimes which I dunno what it has to giving life to stuff but eh

From what I remember, he only uses those two powers very early on (like, I want to say he never uses either of them after he fights Buccelati). After that he's entirely about making objects into living things that return to their owners. The only time he "gained" a power was when he realized organs counted as living things, and could start healing people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite "What the gently caress is Gold Experience" moment is when Giorno conjurs up a snake that happens to be immune to Purple Haze's overkill virus.

Like, is there a snake in the world actually immune to insta-death clouds, or did Giorno just think it up and GE delivered?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite "What the gently caress is Gold Experience" moment is when Giorno conjurs up a snake that happens to be immune to Purple Haze's overkill virus.

Like, is there a snake in the world actually immune to insta-death clouds, or did Giorno just think it up and GE delivered?

Didn't he use a part of the poison or the shards from the vial to make the snake? That part never made me question GE.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, he made it from the shell of Purple Haze's... things. I remember people complained about that, but it makes enough sense to me.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
gold experience requiem made sense to me thematically as a classic folk-story style ironic punishment for Diavolo... it doesn't matter that it's overpowered because it's only used for that purpose

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The difference between Gold Experience and Soft & Wet is one is vague, the other is broad. S&W's power is really well defined, he can "steal" things and put them in bubbles. Now, it's defined in a very open way, where it can be used really unconventionally, but it's always fundamentally taking something and putting it in a bubble. I struggle to think of a sentence that really nails down GE's power, beyond something like "can create life", but that fails to really explain the early damage-reflection or perception fuckery. Maybe it's partly the bad translation, but I always felt GE wasn't very interesting since it was so unclear what precisely its power was, whereas all the other protag stands are really explicit in what they exactly do.

I'll be really excited for animated Part 5, where hopefully a professional translation and animation can make some of these things clearer, though I still suspect GE and KC are just at a point kinda loosely defined.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

no they will not posted:

gold experience requiem made sense to me thematically as a classic folk-story style ironic punishment for Diavolo... it doesn't matter that it's overpowered because it's only used for that purpose

Oh yeah totally, I mean ultimately I'm not really questioning it at all for the reason Seafood already mentioned: it's kind of a foregone conclusion that the baddie's gonna get hosed up and I enjoyed seeing Diavolo get owned that thoroughly, and if it really is just that the power is vague as hell at the end that's fine. I could just never quite tell if it was that I couldn't muddle through the translation well enough to get it. "It just is" or "It just works" are both perfectly acceptable answers for me, ultimately

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You might as well just forget the rebounding thing and the energy punches exist. If I was explaining Gold Experience I wouldn't even bother including that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Momomo posted:

You might as well just forget the rebounding thing and the energy punches exist. If I was explaining Gold Experience I wouldn't even bother including that.

The problem is that those are the very first things it does in part 5. If someone is about to start reading and you don't mention it they're just gonna be more confused.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for the Vento Aureo anime and the anime-only people being exactly as befuddled as we are about GE and King Crimson.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

no they will not posted:

While this post is technically correct, we are nerds on the Internet and must therefor argue as though we had in our hands the ultimate Jojo fighting game and are discussing whether or not Giorno should be banned from tournament play.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

:smuggo: My favorite JoJo can beat your Favorite JoJo

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's the Dio in him that makes Gio's Stand a dirty rotten cheater

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Could GER take ORT?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Could GER beat Capcom Petshop?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tusk Act 4 would destroy GER, please read my 500 chapter fanfic about a JoJo tournament arc

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Moltrey posted:

Tusk Act 4 would destroy GER, please read my 500 chapter fanfic about a JoJo tournament arc

But first we have to determine how much time Giorno has to prepare and if Johnny is allowed to ride his horse....

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Begemot posted:

But first we have to determine how much time Giorno has to prepare and if Johnny is allowed to ride his horse....

None and yes, as that's usually how it goes down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Could GER take ORT?

I think it would be a stalemate; ORT couldn't take any action against Giorno, but Giorno would have no way of harming ORT.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

What is ORT?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One of the eight heavenly bodies destined to wipe out all life on Earth in the Nasuverse.

It arrived several centuries too early, however, and is currently holed up somewhere deep in South America where it's slowly terraforming the planet, but otherwise minding its own business as it awaits the day of reckoning. It's also technically the fifth-ranked Dead Apostle since the previous slot-holder tried to capture it and was incinerated immediately, the Dead Apostiles being real hardliners when it comes to "You break it, you bought it."

As a foreign contaminant, it neither understands nor shares Earthly concepts of death, and thus can't be killed, wounded, or even mildly inconvenienced by conventional weaponry or most forms of magic. The only known way of killing it, effectively, would be using a weapon capable of rewriting the very laws of reality that define it - which exist, fortunately, but are exceedingly rare.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 2, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Nasuverse is kinda stupid.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the eight heavenly bodies destined to wipe out all life on Earth in the Nasuverse.

It arrived several centuries too early, however, and is currently holed up somewhere deep in South America where it's slowly terraforming the planet, but otherwise minding its own business as it awaits the day of reckoning. It's also technically the fifth-ranked Dead Apostle since the previous slot-holder tried to capture it and was incinerated immediately, the Dead Apostiles being real hardliners when it comes to "You break it, you bought it."

As a foreign contaminant, it neither understands nor shares Earthly concepts of death, and thus can't be killed, wounded, or even mildly inconvenienced by conventional weaponry or most forms of magic. The only known way of killing it, effectively, would be using a weapon capable of rewriting the very laws of reality that define it.

There's also something in some databook or something suggesting that it's not the real Ultimate One of Mercury, because nothing can ever be straightforward in the Nasuverse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Unless the Stands kiss, I'm not interested pal

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

As a foreign contaminant, it neither understands nor shares Earthly concepts of death, and thus can't be killed, wounded, or even mildly inconvenienced by conventional weaponry or most forms of magic. The only known way of killing it, effectively, would be using a weapon capable of rewriting the very laws of reality that define it - which exist, fortunately, but are exceedingly rare.

Ah, so like heaven DIO then. GER couldn't beat heaven DIO so GER couldn't beat this thing QED

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bad Seafood posted:

is it incarnated in the form of a 14 year old girl whos down to gently caress

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, its the nasuverse so it's kind of 50/50 of that or a brooding middle aged man who looks like alan rickman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mr. stefan posted:

is it incarnated in the form of a 14 year old girl whos down to gently caress

No, that's the ultimate lifeform of Venus (and also the ultimate lifeform of the moon if you count Arcueid as a Type). This is ORT.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That still looks dtf to me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

It is the only thing even remotely comparable to JoJo in being incredibly Japanese yet the most fun and loving insane

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, when I say it's stupid, I mean that with all the love in the world.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Unless the Stands kiss, I'm not interested pal
pm me if you're looking for that kind fanfiction

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
ORT is a jrpg hidden superboss harder than the final boss and I love it for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You can kind of see how giorno's powers develop from the start to what you end up with at the end.

bunch of fanwank incoming

At the start, iirc it only turns objects into animals/plants, and the creatures he creates are maybe immortal or something since they aren't really living creatures, so damaging them means that SOMETHING has to be hurt, and it's not them since they aren't "real" so it just takes whatever health away from the attacker.

Later, he reveals he can punch a living creature with life and it overpowers their senses.

From there, those powers end up evolving and shifting. The "turning objects into creatures" thing more or less stays the same, though there is never another point where the damage reflection comes back into it, and like you said, he later figures out he can just turn stuff into living body parts and plug them into a person lego-style. He defeats purple haze with the snake trick, he ends up defeating babyface by turning an object into a living thing and it sorta does the "reflects damage" thing but instead of directly reflecting damage, it just seeks out baby face and murders him. He can turn his creatures back into their original object forms too.

His "gives life" thing doesn't come back up until Bruno's death, where he has overloaded Bruno's soul but Bruno's body is still decaying so Bruno is already dead by this point but his soul has an excess of power thanks to gold experience. Then later, the requiem ability amplifies giorno's "punching life into someone" power to force diavolo into a state of existence where fate says he should be dead, so he has to be dead, but he had an infinite amount of life punched into him, and his soul is not allowed to die, so the universe just keeps teleporting him around hoping to kill off this unkillable thing that needs to be killed, similar to how damage would get reflected if you tried to kill one of giorno's creatures since they weren't real so by trying to destroy something that doesn't exist, the universe takes you in its place.

Pretty much giorno's powerset is weird and ties together oddly, and the biggest issue is that he doesn't get that many ways to flex his powers. For the most part he is just stuck turning poo poo into other poo poo instead of getting to mess around with reflecting damage and overloading souls. The poo poo with turning bullets into vines was cool though.