Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Well, as a Vennen fan, I'm certainly enjoying the new set. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea, chant decks in limited are real fun. I'm done with this event and if it stays this bad when it goes back to 4-4-3 I probably won't play until set 5.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, chant decks in limited are real fun. I'm done with this event and if it stays this bad when it goes back to 4-4-3 I probably won't play until set 5.

To be fair, chant decks are really hard to build and easy to hate draft in draft and usually you don't get enough constants in sealed to make them work. They are basically the 4-4-x equivalent of a guy getting all the dementia daisies and charge gain in 2-2-1.

But when you do manage to build one they are glorious. The two times I attempted five shard chant in evo sealed I went 5-0 and 5-2.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

God of Evil Cows posted:

To be fair, chant decks are really hard to build and easy to hate draft in draft and usually you don't get enough constants in sealed to make them work. They are basically the 4-4-x equivalent of a guy getting all the dementia daisies and charge gain in 2-2-1.

But when you do manage to build one they are glorious. The two times I attempted five shard chant in evo sealed I went 5-0 and 5-2.

I understand the comparison to Daisies but there are 5 different chants and none of them are useless when combined with the other chants. There's only one "answer" to chants in set 4, the dino that eats one when entering play, which isn't going to counter the chant deck, and the only other answer in set 3 that isn't a rare is also in wild and not going to do much.

I get the feeling people who are disagreeing with me on this are only playing Evo or Sealed where yes it's much more unlikely to run into a chant deck. It's not realistic to hate 5 different chant cards and continue to make a good deck in limited.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I understand the comparison to Daisies but there are 5 different chants and none of them are useless when combined with the other chants. There's only one "answer" to chants in set 4, the dino that eats one when entering play, which isn't going to counter the chant deck, and the only other answer in set 3 that isn't a rare is also in wild and not going to do much.

I get the feeling people who are disagreeing with me on this are only playing Evo or Sealed where yes it's much more unlikely to run into a chant deck. It's not realistic to hate 5 different chant cards and continue to make a good deck in limited.

These are fair points but I've only ever seen chant decks in sealed and never seen one in a draft. The thing with a good chant deck is that they are usually not truly 5 shard, but rather are trishard D/W/x with Uzzu for generating the threshold you need from chants you get from lyrical chanter, so it's not just a matter of grabbing every chant you see, you still need troops and removal and fixing. They are far more difficult to draft than you seem to be suggesting, and are more susceptible to threshold screw than other decks.

I'm not arguing that the deck isn't strong (it is really strong), it's just you won't see them too often in draft because of how finicky and hard to build they are.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The chant deck I ran into in round 2 of my latest draft was full five shard and had a High Infinitrix. It happens!

(Whoops, misread. You were saying that's a disadvantage, not an advantage. But this deck had zero shard screw and kicked my rear end six ways from Sunday, so, eh.)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

God of Evil Cows posted:

Spiders in Hex was a horrible idea. Doubling down on spiders in set 4 was possibly the worst idea Hex ever made.

yeah i uninstalled. ill be back for set 5 tho

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im still adding people to slack tho if yall wanna chat about the game :)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, combo I found.

If you use Soul of Battle on a Flickering Gobbler, it'll still go back to your hand at the end of the turn provided the action condition is met.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

malkav11 posted:

The chant deck I ran into in round 2 of my latest draft was full five shard and had a High Infinitrix. It happens!

(Whoops, misread. You were saying that's a disadvantage, not an advantage. But this deck had zero shard screw and kicked my rear end six ways from Sunday, so, eh.)

With the shard fixing champ and the 1/3 fliers you can sac for a threshold it's pretty easy for the chant deck to get to 5 shards so I wouldn't consider it a disadvantage. I must be lucky, or unlucky, because I've ran into the chant deck 5 times in comp draft and only beat it once. The pic I posted earlier wasn't even the worst of it.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 2, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I played one draft and drafted monored aggro because I opened good red cards, had zero synergies, and ultimately lost in round 2 to a sick lifegain deck. I hadn't looked at any of the cards ahead of time but my takeaway is that this game still isn't as much fun in limited as it was in set 1.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

My account is on an EU server, but I'm stuck in the US for a few weeks. Is there any way for me to play in evolving gauntlet tournaments without staying up until silly times at night?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sigma-X posted:

I played one draft and drafted monored aggro because I opened good red cards, had zero synergies, and ultimately lost in round 2 to a sick lifegain deck. I hadn't looked at any of the cards ahead of time but my takeaway is that this game still isn't as much fun in limited as it was in set 1.

So far I like 4-4-3 a lot more than 3 3 3 but overall I liked the first block a lot more, yeah. Spiders are just so loving random there are a lot more "well, loving nothing I could have done about that" moments.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

pumpinglemma posted:

My account is on an EU server, but I'm stuck in the US for a few weeks. Is there any way for me to play in evolving gauntlet tournaments without staying up until silly times at night?

There's only one server for everybody (except for China), so no worries.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

What I'd really love to play is 112. Maybe next time when stuff is taking forever they'll mix in an "oldschool draft weekend" or something to mix it up. 444 was the least fun I've ever had drafting in this game. 443 seems like it'd be better, but I wish they'd focus a bit less on archetypes and more on interesting/flexible cards.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

With the shard fixing champ and the 1/3 fliers you can sac for a threshold it's pretty easy for the chant deck to get to 5 shards so I wouldn't consider it a disadvantage. I must be lucky, or unlucky, because I've ran into the chant deck 5 times in comp draft and only beat it once. The pic I posted earlier wasn't even the worst of it.

I think you just got unlucky. The slack channel is a continuous stream of people complaining about their current match (I'm by far the worst offender when it comes to this) and there are little to no complaints about chant decks.

You are making me want to try to draft a chant deck again though. I tried it a couple times but I had to abandon it each time just because the cards weren't there.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

BenRGamer posted:

So, combo I found.

If you use Soul of Battle on a Flickering Gobbler, it'll still go back to your hand at the end of the turn provided the action condition is met.

Huh, neat. I guess I'm making a Gobbler Counterburn deck.

Vilgan posted:

What I'd really love to play is 112. Maybe next time when stuff is taking forever they'll mix in an "oldschool draft weekend" or something to mix it up. 444 was the least fun I've ever had drafting in this game. 443 seems like it'd be better, but I wish they'd focus a bit less on archetypes and more on interesting/flexible cards.

They've done throwback 221/111 before. Not sure why you didn't like 444, though. I thought it was pretty good. Though I also found out that DS is real strong, real early.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I tried to force the Gobbler deck three or four times over the past week, and I finally got it this morning. It's a weird deck to play in that I was cutting quality 5-drops to make my Impulses better and it was totally worth it. My games usually started with me doing little to nothing for the first four to six turns, then winning three turns later with Gobbler and Combat Training/Seeing Red. It's super fun. I highly recommend it if you see the deck available.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why hello there

Don't mind if I do

I won the first round almost entirely on the back of the Infinitrix. Mulling to 5 is perfectly ok if one of the 5 is a massive bomb. Got a bye on the second so I'm posting here while I wait. I think that's the luckiest I've ever gotten cracking packs in a draft. I'm glad the game practically forced me into the "necrotic babes" archetype since I haven't researched set 4 at all and don't really know how it's shaping up.

e: Won the 3rd round 2-1, the third game was a real nailbiter. I got the infinitrix out on both games I won, but she got removed before having any impact each time. Never played the 8 cost one.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 2, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

edit: sold out!

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 4, 2016

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ugh, played Frost Arena, everything went perfect. 14 games without losing, final boss is X-something broodlord. Spiders. I get them down to about 4 health while I still have 20 something. Next turn I win, and have the entire arena perfect. But then extinction, everything dies and next thing I know I'm being overrun by spiders. Argh!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Thanks to everyone who picked up some boosters from me. I'm going to stop sales for now. I'll offer the same deal for set 5 and do it before the release weekend so keep that in mind!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks to everyone who picked up some boosters from me. I'm going to stop sales for now. I'll offer the same deal for set 5 and do it before the release weekend so keep that in mind!

Thanks for the awesome deal on packs! You had an insane number available. Were you pretty much listing every single card you own on the AH for Plat to then buy up packs? Interested in case i was to ever do the same as a way to cash out.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Hey Blinkman, if you are wondering about communication, how about you get them to put patch notes where the launcher actually points to them, so I don't have to go dig in your forums to find them. That would be super sweet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Protip posted:

Thanks for the awesome deal on packs! You had an insane number available. Were you pretty much listing every single card you own on the AH for Plat to then buy up packs? Interested in case i was to ever do the same as a way to cash out.

Yea, put my whole collection on the AH. I actually put a lot of thought into the $1 per pack price. It's about $2 cheaper per 10 than you can get on ebay, but I would net near the same amount money avoiding ebay fees and at set 4 launch it was the same amount I was getting from a third party site.

So yea, sell stuff on AH and buy packs to sell is the easiest way I came up with to cash out. The primal chance takes a little bit of the sting out of it, I averaged the 2%. If you cash out it's best to do it at the start of a new set when Primal packs are selling at 2k-2.4k plat to start which is why I'm doing a bit of a half measure now and saving some for set 5.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Why you cashing out?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Why you cashing out?

Multiple reasons, the biggest is at some point in time the game has become more frustrating than fun for me. I seem to be incapable of losing without getting upset. That's probably more of a personal issue, but there are things that bother me like spiders and chants which may or may not be a problem with 4-4-3 so I'm going to take a break until set 5. To maybe put the frustration stuff into perspective, I put in 10k plat for this release and started out with 30 set 4 boosters. I made that plat back over the weekend with cards I sold from the drafts I was playing, got 5 AA's and was only down 6 packs total and still came away extremely frustrated.

The other thing is, when I want to play in the future I think using my weekly draft ticket and bingeing 2-3 days on a new set release is probably enough to satisfy my TCG itch. I'm a GK backer so I will always have AA's to sell to have plat for a new set.

I'm also not entirely convinced Hex will be around forever, I hope it is because it's a great game and it will be a shame if it's not. So it's possible I could be making an "investment" mistake by selling my entire collection and maybe one day I'll look back and want to cry like when I sold several thousand dollars in MtG cards for $150, but if that happens I'll just have to live with it.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 4, 2016

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
:siren: SECOND AWFUL TOURNAMENT INCOMING :siren:

Set 4 is out, activity is up, it's time. Time for another asynchronous AWFUL TOURNAMENT. This time, the theme is going to be "the most awful combo." With some help, I've made a new list of horrible cards, but all of them have terrible synergies that will make your deck the worst. They'd never see competitive play: Until now.

Rules
Make a constructed deck with no cards on the ban list, and 8 cards on the AWFUL list. Note that is 8 cards total not 8 different kinds of cards. Then send the deck to me via email (afgad165 at gmail) or PM. Then schedule games with the people I arrange for you to play with.

This time I am feeling ambitious: It's going to be double elimination, not single elimination.

If during your match your opponent plays a card not on their decklist (which I will make public) take a screenshot and send it to me. Congrats on your victory!

Free entry! (Only Goons and Hex devs can enter)

PRIZES
As with the previous tournament, the prizes reflect that I want people to generate entertainment for everyone in Hexagoon. Although you will win packs by winning, the side-prize pool is even bigger.

WINNERS
1st place: 5 Set 1 packs + 1 Exiled Bard AA (Courtesy of Katkillad)
2nd place: 3 Set 1 packs + 1 Exiled Bard AA
3rd & 4th place: 2 Set 1 packs. +1 Exiled Bard AA

LIVE THE DREAM!
The theme of the tournament is awful combos. If in any of your games you get your combo to go off, screenshot that bad-boy, slap it in this thread and explain the combo and how you set it up. I want effort posts! Get excited and write about your terrible card combo. If you do this, you will get a Set 1 pack. Everyone is eligible, even losers. :justpost:

:siren: Goec will be awarding a choice of a Set 3 Primal Pack or Jovial Pippit Sleeves code to the player (other than Goec) who pulls off the coolest/most absurd/most original combo in the awful tournament.

SHOW UP
Play all your matches and you will get a Set 1 pack from me. No chances, just winners. Anyone who is a *Bye or fails to schedule their game gets nothing.

I encourage people to donate prizes with conditions on them. Examples include: If you have the most awful cards in your deck, get X. Or if you draw some artwork for the tournament, you get X. etc. I'll update this post as people toss prizes out there.

Important Dates
To join, tell me you're signing up by May 9th.
I will finalize the ban and awful lists sometime before then. Thus, I expect you to give me a decklist by May 16th. I will assign brackets on or before May 16th.
Once I assign your placement, don't take too long scheduling/playing your match. Everyone should play at least once a week until they are eliminated.

THE BAN LIST (final)
Angel of Dawn
Vampire King
Vampire Princess
Reese
Crocosaur
Periwinkle
Hierophant
Infinitrix
Xentoth's Malice
Voice of the Ashwood
Rowan
Rootfather
Soul marble
Windsinger
Azurefate Sorceress
Phenteo
Sunsoul Phoenix
Titania's Majesty
Fury Chant

THE AWFUL LIST (Final)

Sapphire:
Lamprax lurker
Startouched Watcher
Vision quest
Eldon’s distress signal
Tale of destiny
Cerulean high counselor
Slaughtergear’s innovation
Cosmic transmogrifier
Shrewd manipulation

Ruby:
Deadeye enforcer
Midnight fever
Chark
Tribal warfare
Zakiir’s whim
Plan C
Ashwood maestro
Born of the flame
Destructive marauder

Blood:
Vampegasus
Corrupted afterlife
Vilefang Theurge
Shadowtail rider
Mindrake
Plagueheart
Blood savant
Circle of ruination
Gift of yazukan

Diamond:
All in the Family
Trial of Faith
Stonetusk
Army of Myth
Citadel of adamanth
Circle of protection
Holy Ascension
Ambush guide
Angelic Ascension

Wild:
Lifeweaver shaman
Primal Dawn
Nature’s resolve
Song of the Sun
Pupil of creation
Parallel evolution
Jovial pippit
Tectonic Break
Trick of the light

Shardless:
Kismet’s coins
Tomb of Nulzann
Shrine of Xinlurgash
Exiled Bard
Daarmak
Scrap the endless
Twin eternities
Comet strike
Blam sack

FAQ
Can I play one game then move all the awful cards to the sideboard?
I can't stop you from doing this, but you'll have a much harder time living the dream. It's also kind of poor sportsmanship.

How do I play my match?
Make friends with that person and send them a challenge via the client, this should give you a "best of 3" situation. If you want, you can also use the Head to Head queue for added suspense.

How do I claim victory :orks101:
Post in this thread that you won/lost.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 16, 2016

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

By the way, if anyone feels I missed a card on the banlist, let me know and make your case here. For the Awful List, suggest which card you would remove from the list before adding an addition.

I very seriously considered banning Fury Chant. Does anyone else think that will be a problem?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Afgad posted:

Important Dates
To join, tell me you're signing up by May 9th.
I will finalize the ban and awful lists sometime before then. Thus, I expect you to give me a decklist by May 11th. I will assign brackets on or before May 11th.
Once I assign your placement, don't take too long scheduling/playing your match. Everyone should play at least once a week until they are eliminated.

Any leeway on these dates? Traveling the 8th through the 13th and it might be doable but more time between finalization of awful/ban lists and expected deck list due would be nice.

Sign me up either way and I'll try to make it happen.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

In.

Afgad posted:

By the way, if anyone feels I missed a card on the banlist, let me know and make your case here. For the Awful List, suggest which card you would remove from the list before adding an addition.

I very seriously considered banning Fury Chant. Does anyone else think that will be a problem?

Do it.

Also, make sure you specifically say Majesty is banned.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Any leeway on these dates? Traveling the 8th through the 13th and it might be doable but more time between finalization of awful/ban lists and expected deck list due would be nice.

Sign me up either way and I'll try to make it happen.

Yeah it's cool, just try to get it in asap. I'll also try to finalize the lists earlier for you.

Go RV! posted:

Do it.
Also, make sure you specifically say Majesty is banned.

Done.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
That competition looks cool. I'll see if I can find the time to throw together a deck. However, I live in Europe, GMT+1 timezone, so it might be hard to arrange a game?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

beedeebee posted:

That competition looks cool. I'll see if I can find the time to throw together a deck. However, I live in Europe, GMT+1 timezone, so it might be hard to arrange a game?

There are other people in that timezone. Besides, it should just be someone staying up late one weekend or waking up early. You have an entire week to find a common time.

It's free entry anyway. Just sign up and try your best. If it turns out that it's really impossible to find a time to play your opponent, nobody will hate you so long as you actually put effort into trying. The SHOW UP award is mainly to ensure people don't just forget or outright disappear.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Progressive gauntlet is really frustrating to play. You can easily start with an unplayable pool and rattle off 3 losses without getting the chance to improve your deck.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

mightygerm posted:

Progressive gauntlet is really frustrating to play. You can easily start with an unplayable pool and rattle off 3 losses without getting the chance to improve your deck.

Absolutely. If you start out with a horrible pool of cards you're doubly punished by never being able to improve it since you will struggle to win games. It's a rather huge flaw in an otherwise enjoyable format.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I should have a bunch or the terrible cards as extras if people need them for the tournament.
Hopefully I'll be able to join in but my days off from work are during the week.

Extra awful cards, free to a good home:

4x Lamprax Lurker
8x Runeweb Weaver
2x Deadeye Enforcer
4x Midnight Fever
8x Vilefang Theurge
7x Shadowtail Rider - This is a good, cool card BTW
5x Plagueheart
1x Lifeweaver Shaman

I have less of the awful list than expected.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2016

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Biske contended that the runeweb weaver is a boring dude but there is a dream to live with Startouched Watcher, a card that is definitely awful.

I think it's a reasonable swap, and Goec had previously regretted suggesting the runeweb, so I'm making the swap.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I'm in. I'm looking for 3 parallel evolutions and 4 primal dawn if anyone has them to trade/give away, worst case I pick them up off the AH.

Here is Stovetop fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can anyone give me some tips to create a good spider deck? I created a semi cool one in a tournament and I want to improve it, but I don't know where to start.

• Locked thread