Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Songbearer posted:

In regards to Ocelotte, it's clear that the reason Oceiros is so confused about him is that his son wound up getting stuck in a classic Dark Souls history anomaly and accidentally emerged as the player character in Skyrim, explaining the sudden appearance of the Dragonborn. Poor guy.

I assumed that Oiceros is actually blind (since Seathe is) and some dick put a Spook spell of a baby crying in the room where he is so he just spends all his time looking for his kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Should I use an Uchigatana, dark sword, or claymore? Dark sword dropped off that dark wraith guy in the Lothric high wall. Own age.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HellCopter posted:

What do you figure the fastest weapon in the game is? The 40 luck I have should make bleeding actually viable. Of course, my STR and DEX are at 13 so actual damage is irrelevant.

Is it better to infuse a weapon with Blood or just throw Carthus Rouge on it? Opinions seem to be split on whether Carthus Rouge scales with Luck.

Bleed infusion doesn't seem to do much for bleed buildup or damage, so go with hollow so you can deal actual damage along with your blood, and of course Carthys Rouge.

Vargs posted:

I forgot how rad these NPC invaders in the DS2 DLC were. They really took a step back with the DS3 ones which are incredibly uninspired.

Their baseline AI is definitely leagues better (e.g. Creighton using a divine blessing, everything Hodrick does) but you're right in that there are no standouts like Maldron, which is disappointing.

vandalism posted:

Should I use an Uchigatana, dark sword, or claymore? Dark sword dropped off that dark wraith guy in the Lothric high wall. Own age.

Depends. Dark Sword infused with Heavy and with high strength is pretty much the strongest straight sword, and will easily carry you through the game. Claymore is basically a slightly less good straight sword in general, but better against larger enemies since it can stun them in one hit where a straight sword would take more. Uchi is a ton of good, good varied moveset, and the bleed is fantastic for larger enemies and bosses.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the game pretty much says he never found priscilla.

Well, it just says he dreamt of Priscilla, which could be the game's way of informing the player that he learned of her existence and where she was hiding after consuming Gwyndolin's mind. In my opinion, if a boss known for devouring other bosses is using spells or weapons associated with other bosses, the implication is that he ate them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Babe Magnet posted:

I think I'm going to upload this video of my fighting two summons and a host and winning with this gimmick character and then retire Farmlord Wheato

OK, that's a pretty good gimmick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I don't think The Dark literally kills everybody. It's just...kind of boring. Stagnant. People existed before the age of fire, after all. But those tiny flames in that the Firekeeper sees are the hope that people will rise up again, just like the did from the original age of grey nothingness.

The firekeeper wants you to kill her and remove the eyes - not because it's spooky or w/e, but because she's "enticed" by the darkness. She can tell that smothering the flame is the right thing to do.
How does this differ from (ds1) Kaathe's ending? He has you enter an age of dark and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Or do we just assume that the ds1 protagonist didn't do that?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

they don't do it to drop aggro

most speedruns base it off the in-game time clock instead of a real timer, quitting the game during certain animations like the door opening animation causes the door to remain open when they load back in and saves them a few seconds of in-game time

of course doing this shaves off like 10 seconds max from a run but they're speedrunners, doing what they have to do to get that PB

they do it for both really. the speedruns for the series have really always abused s&q.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to use a weapon with a limited moveset is rough in PvP. Its way to easy to parry someone if they aren't able to mix up their moves.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

How does this differ from (ds1) Kaathe's ending? He has you enter an age of dark and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Or do we just assume that the ds1 protagonist didn't do that?

Kaathe's ending just has you not do anything to the fire, the dark ending in this game actually involves you ending the flame for good (maybe)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

they don't do it to drop aggro

most speedruns base it off the in-game time clock instead of a real timer, quitting the game during certain animations like the door opening animation causes the door to remain open when they load back in and saves them a few seconds of in-game time

of course doing this shaves off like 10 seconds max from a run but they're speedrunners, doing what they have to do to get that PB

It's still kinda ... I dunno, clunky. It's not all that impressive to pull off and it really breaks the flow of the experience. Speedruns are supposed to be an entertaining display of skill, or at least to me they are, otherwise what's the point of watching them?

Particularly since it's still early days for DS3 and these are the sorts of nano-optimizations you'd expect to see in a speedrunning scene that's been utterly beaten to death for years now like the headline Nintendo ones you'd see at AGDQ. Someone could easily discover an OOB glitch or even a plain old route optimization that cuts two minutes off the current WR.

So I take it all of the runners do this poo poo at the moment? Disappointing if so.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

dromer posted:

I assumed that Oiceros is actually blind (since Seathe is) and some dick put a Spook spell of a baby crying in the room where he is so he just spends all his time looking for his kid.

Or the kid is invisible and we murder it half way through the fight

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

hard counter posted:

There's definitely "good" fire and bad fire, good dark and bad dark in this series yeah.

Yeah, a few people have theorized that the abyss is dark out of control, while chaos is fire out of control. At least in the game's metaphor if not in the actual plot. The story seems concerned with the balance of dark and fire, which I figure also means allowing for alternating ages of fire and ages of dark.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I took it that the world got to it's state because no one's ever let the fire finally die before, so the first flame has just been stretched thinner and thinner.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Even a lot of DS1 speedruns involve jumping off a long drop, quitting the game before you hit the floor, then loading only to be safe and sound at the bottom. Speed, man.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jimson posted:

So I wanted to start doing quick write-ups on undervalued weapons. You guys can feel free to completely ignore it or discuss it, it's up to you. I just wanted to have my opinions out in the open.

Dagger:

Recently the dagger is a weapon I have been having a lot and I mean A LOT of fun with, and not just as an offhand interrupt weapon so you can then pull off a huge combo with your 2-h sword, but as a main right-hand weapon/2-handed weapon.

The main appeal for this weapon is it's "amazing" weapon art Quickstep. Which lets you dip in and away/towards an opponent with a flick of the L2 (LT) button. You will quick step towards the direction the control stick is pushed, or directly forward if you are not holding the stick in a direction. During the entire quickstep, you have Iframes (kind of like with a roll). The important thing to note is that unlike a roll there is very little noticeable downtime after your quickstep and you can put yourself on the offensive immediately afterward. One of my favorite things is to roll towards a player to make them think I am going to go for the usual rolling attack, but the moment I have movement I will quick step towards their left or right side depending on what side they seemed to be favoring this match. This will usually throw them off, and let you get off a free hit, either because they were expecting you to attack and parried, or because they rolled away and your quickstep just put them right back in your range again. (Think of it this way, if you can predict when and where they are going to be rolling you can quick step right into their vicinity, and still get a free attack, instead of having to chase after them and risk not getting a clean attack.)

This, of course, is not a real and true expert level play weapon, because I have noticed that there are weapons that are part of the standard meta that completely obliterate this weapon. For one the Farron Greatsword with it's wonky attack patterns, and it's easy ability to combo off of ANY of the hits you can get make it a formidable foe, because during the majority of it's special 2-handed attack you are pretty much unable to get a clean hit due to it's Mega-Armor, and that is really the major downfall to the dagger. The Dagger relies on stumbling your opponent and getting off a clean 3 or 4 hit combo by mashing that R1 (RB) button. Weapons with Mega-Armor just prevent you from getting a clean combo, and trade SO MUCH better than the dagger. Of course, if you master positioning you will be stunned just how close you can get to the opponent and still deliver a good hit, and still have time to dip out of the way with a quickstep. (One of my favorite things to do is take advantage of the wind up for the BlackKnight Halberds spin, dip in and get a hit, then quickstep backward out of their range and just kite them back into your hit zone again for their next attempt)

The dagger demands mobility and light weight, so the current set up I am running is:
Full Shadow Garb
Dagger(+6 currently need to get more chunks)Sharp Modifier
Chloranthy ring
Pontiffs Right Eye (Increased damage with successive attacks, it's only a +15% at max, but it's really noticeable if the fight drags out longer than it should)
Flynn's Ring (increased damage when you have low equipment weight, It's not a gigantic amount with the full set, but it's enough that i've noticed a difference.)
Knight Slayer's Ring (Nothing is funnier than running into turtle noobs who take a few hits, and just decided to take pokes at you behind their shield. Not only does the combo you get off of them trying to tank you increase the multiplier on Right Eye, but it also drains their stamina real quick. I've gotten like 4 ripostes on people with heavy shields with 100% Melee reduction just because they decided to turtle longer than they should have)

I am currently not Meta SL, but my stats of note are 40 Dexterity, 32 endurance, and like 27 Vitality. I am planning a 40/40/40 build.

Thrall axe hits considerably harder than any other weapon with quickstep, so you may wish to consider trying that. Course, I never had any luck with quickstep. Maybe if you're psychic and manage to consistently predict where an opponent will roll, but you'll never be able to quickstep through an attack and then hit them before they're out of range unless they're a moron or you actually qucikstepped to where they'll be coming out of the roll. And honestly, at that point, you probably could've done a running attack.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brannock posted:

Isn't Demon's Souls and Bloodborne on a contract with Sony? If that's the case then it never will come to PC.

So is SF5.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Wow hidden body + slumbering dragon ring + the aldrich eye that gives FP back on critical attacks lets you totally clown on humanoid enemies, a single backstab is enough FP to get you another cast of hidden body and enemies don't react to being backstabbed. Make the Irithyll Dungeon jailers a total breeze and only requires 15 int

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Ravenfood posted:

The big thing that has been a huge like, driving force between all the games, and the reason DS2 ended without much of a choice in the vanilla game, is that no matter what you do, if you light it, or let it go out there is nothing at all that will stop someone bigger and stronger from just coming along, beating your face in and reigniting the flame. Which is the reason in DS3, the firekeeper straight up steals the flame, or you straight up steal the flame for yourself. The only way to really prevent the flame from reigniting or being left for some other fateful undead to stumble upon the flame and ignite it, is if the flame isn't even there in the first place

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kild posted:

So is SF5.

Not the same, Demon's/BB were actually co-developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan.

Sony didn't just contract an exclusivity deal, they literally own the IP. Like hypothetically they could do a BB2 without From (however unlikely).

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 2, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

argondamn posted:

Kaathe's ending just has you not do anything to the fire, the dark ending in this game actually involves you ending the flame for good (maybe)

DS1's Dark Lord ending is very similar to this one's Lord of Hollows ending, which seems to involve the player character "usurping" the fire and claiming whatever power it has left as their own. Maybe it's what Vendrick did in DS2? I think DS3 means to imply that a dark lord chosen undead would lord over the fading fire rather than extinguish it entirely. Maybe that's a retcon, but it fits well enough.

But it does confuse the symbol language a bit, huh? If dark is a product of the disparity brought along by fire, then it makes sense that for an age of dark there must still be some fire burning - but DS3's firekeeper still says that the truly post-fire world is a dark one. Maybe just an inconsistency?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to use a weapon with a limited moveset is rough in PvP. Its way to easy to parry someone if they aren't able to mix up their moves.

At least there's always charging an R2 to mess with parrying (assuming you don't have an R2 with an obnoxious windup).

I still heartily recommend offhanding a polearm with a fast weapon in your main hand. It's super hard to predict because you have so many options.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Obligatum VII posted:

Thrall axe hits considerably harder than any other weapon with quickstep, so you may wish to consider trying that. Course, I never had any luck with quickstep. Maybe if you're psychic and manage to consistently predict where an opponent will roll, but you'll never be able to quickstep through an attack and then hit them before they're out of range unless they're a moron or you actually qucikstepped to where they'll be coming out of the roll. And honestly, at that point, you probably could've done a running attack.

I tried with Thrall axe, and the attack speed is a lot slower than the dagger. I've noticed I can slip in a dagger stagger with a lot of attacks but with the thrall axe I am almost always trading instead of hitting first, which is something I am not keen on considering my armor is so weak.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is it reasonable to fight that guy with the katana in firelink shrine early on?

Want that sword but the first couple times I went for him I got my rear end kicked...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If we're doing "overlooked/lesser used weapon" tryhard posting I might update that big post I did about caestus earlier in the thread, now that I've got a lot more time with them in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Space Hamlet posted:

DS1's Dark Lord ending is very similar to this one's Lord of Hollows ending, which seems to involve the player character "usurping" the fire and claiming whatever power it has left as their own. Maybe it's what Vendrick did in DS2? I think DS3 means to imply that a dark lord chosen undead would lord over the fading fire rather than extinguish it entirely. Maybe that's a retcon, but it fits well enough.

But it does confuse the symbol language a bit, huh? If dark is a product of the disparity brought along by fire, then it makes sense that for an age of dark there must still be some fire burning - but DS3's firekeeper still says that the truly post-fire world is a dark one. Maybe just an inconsistency?

I think that implication would be just that the balance has shifted in dark's favor. Instead of a sun burning above and flames everywhere, she just sees little embers in the darkness The other endings seem to involve harnessing the fire in its condensed form for whatever end you want.

My personal assumption is that the thing Aldritch is trying to prepare for is for whatever happens after both the light and dark disappear with the final end of the first flame which will presumably kill not only the old gods but also men, hence his devouring of everything to gain their strengths. Look for Sunken Souls in 2019

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Is it reasonable to fight that guy with the katana in firelink shrine early on?

Want that sword but the first couple times I went for him I got my rear end kicked...

You can quite easily knock him off the cliff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How are people liking Ricards Rapier in this one?

On that note, what's a good weapon for a quality build to max out? I already used a slab on Dark Sword and Ityhll Staright sword. I'd like something that isn't a straight sword but holds up well in PVP and PVE. Preferably something I can refine infuse.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what does it do now that the regular rapier stole its gimmick

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Oceiros is called the consumed king because he is consumed with thoughts about his lost kid. the crying is more for ambience than a baby actually being there. I don't get why goons keep thinking that "consumed" means he ate his kid or you kill an invisible baby in the fight (notice how the crying is still there in the second phase when he stops cradling the air) when it's obvious dragon dad has completely lost it just like with how big hat logan eventually loses it in DS1. Crystal magic is some serious poo poo :350:

Also, his theme is really great without all the baby wailing. It's up there with the Abyss Walkers for me in my top favorites in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHpOHQum5o

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
DS1 Dark ending is just shanking Gwyn and stopping him for kindling it any further. You don't precisely end the First Flame you just bugger off and let it die on its own because who the hell else is gonna link it? (Solaire?)

DS3 Usurpation of Fire is apparently maybe finally reconnecting the First Flame and the Dark Soul and getting things back to how they should be instead of all the competing bullshit going on. Maybe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Desperate Character posted:

Oceiros is called the consumed king because he is consumed with thoughts about his lost kid. the crying is more for ambience than a baby actually being there. I don't get why goons keep thinking that "consumed" means he ate his kid or you kill an invisible baby in the fight (notice how the crying is still there in the second phase when he stops cradling the air) when it's obvious dragon dad has completely lost it just like with how big hat logan eventually loses it in DS1. Crystal magic is some serious poo poo :350:

Also, his theme is really great without all the baby wailing. It's up there with the Abyss Walkers for me in my top favorites in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHpOHQum5o

Well, as per the previous discussion over Priscilla there are apparently people who believe that since the series is called Dark Souls that the most grimdark :emo: answer is always the correct one, and what's more grimdark than you murdering a baby mid fight??

But yeah it's pretty obvious that the dude has gone completely cuckoo.

e: in unrelated news, I'm some 30 episodes into the BlueLizardJello LP linked earlier and now the dude is wearing the Fallen Knight helmet, Abyss Watchers armor and using the Dark Sword. It's so cliché you'd think it was on purpose :allears:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 2, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

what does it do now that the regular rapier stole its gimmick

You never got it? It basically takes its old gimmick and ratchets it up to 11. It's still better than a standard rapier in every way. You do a huge forward lunge into your stabbing flurry, it's basically a gap closer.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
tell me, are fist weapons just complete trash in this game or am i a bad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Afraid of Audio posted:

both

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

Isn't crystal magic basically trying to replicate the scales of the immortal dragons? No wonder it messes up an mortal being something fierce when they try to toy with it.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

thank

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

browse my post history for videos of me punching dumb nerds in their idiot faces and balls with blistering combos, I think I will end up rewriting the Caestus guide

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Afraid of Audio posted:

Better than DS1, worse than DS2

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Do your effort post again, convert me to the way of the blazing fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The loss of poise is really the number one thing that makes caestus as awful as they are. Even with poise they probably wouldn't be great, though

Still lots of fun

Obligatum VII posted:

You never got it? It basically takes its old gimmick and ratchets it up to 11. It's still better than a standard rapier in every way. You do a huge forward lunge into your stabbing flurry, it's basically a gap closer.

I've never been past the dancer, I'm enjoying dumb pvp gimmicks too much

sounds like it owns though