Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I really, really don't think anyone on the pro-labeling side is going to make the argument "labels won't have an effect on sales". You're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Also
http://www.csus.edu/envs/Documents/Theses/Fall%202014/819.GMO%20labeling.pdf

While they are very clearly starting from a position of "labeling is good" they still find an effect on the price someone is willing to pay for GMO that's been labeled. Nearly all of the proposed laws are about front-of-package "clear and conspicuous" labeling, while the above paper focused on back-of-package labeling being missable as a ameliorating factor.

Also, just read Vermont's law. http://www.csus.edu/envs/Documents/Theses/Fall%202014/819.GMO%20labeling.pdf

It insinuates a bunch of health claims. It makes a bunch of unsupported claims about environmental impact. It is specifically designed to scare the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Coolwhoami posted:

I agree with that. The problem arises when you take A as given, because if you are indeed wrong for whatever reason, moving toward B as a substitute will be more challenging in practice. This is due to you having supported a case that was not actually true; while it is logically reasonable that the other position also should remain, people are dumb and will judge the merit of the argument on that failure rather than it's whole, particularly when the whole is not well expressed (because A was taken as given).
The problem here is that the people in favor of labeling laws think B is definitely not true. If someone wants A and A is bad, you just tell them A is bad so they shouldn't want it. Arguing the result of the effect they want is negative is much stronger than trying to prove it won't have any effect, especially considering we don't even know if that is true. If a pro-labeling law person comes back with "Well, it won't actually have any effect" then you agree with them and laugh.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolwhoami posted:

This may be, but again, people also indicated that they would change their buying behaviors as a result of the labeling changes, but then did not actually do so when given the opportunity a review of literature on front-of-package labelling. The takeaway from this was that despite a decent evidence base supporting people changing their behavior, when their behavior was actually examined those changes were not found. I admit, however, that in the case of GMO food that the information being provided is of a different sort: people are not easily able to determine what foods do and do not contain them, or are them (in the case of produce).

Say that I put "this product contains unsafe levels of lead" stickers on a bunch of food products. Your argument is that consumer buying behaviors would not change at all after I did that. Are you really sure that the "labeling definitely does nothing" hill is the one you want to die on?

Obvious analogies aside, you can see how a "healthiness" label doesn't actually change the consumer's perception of a product, right? The study that you linked even verified that; the vast majority of participants already knew which products were healthy and which weren't, so the labels did nothing for them. When those same participants promised to change their buying behaviors, they were basically just promising to eat healthier; the labels really weren't relevant at all there.

Changing consumer perception of products can have a profound impact on sales, and the whole point of GMO labeling is to change consumer perception of various products in a negative way.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Labeling is lovely, but I do love when things that don't even have gmos yet have GMO Free! On the label.

I'd rather see a "this product produced via sustainable farming methods" label. The only real argument about gmos is the chicken/egg of the methods it enables.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

AA is for Quitters posted:

Labeling is lovely, but I do love when things that don't even have gmos yet have GMO Free! On the label.

I'd rather see a "this product produced via sustainable farming methods" label. The only real argument about gmos is the chicken/egg of the methods it enables.

It'd be fun to watch foods with "organic" labels not qualify for sustainable farming labels.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

QuarkJets posted:

He started by asking why there are no serious in-depth studies into how labels effect buying patterns, ignoring that there almost definitely are but that no one in the thread is particularly equipped to provide them (or interested in providing them).

That led to him saying that the "labeling is harmful" argument is a bad argument, because no one in the thread has bothered to prove it, but "labeling is pointless / voluntary non-GMO labeling is better" is a good argument because you can prove it with a tiny bit of reasoning. His posts all hinge on the idea that labeling might not really be harmful after all, which I guess is possible but seems very unlikely to me. His posts also strongly imply that organic farming lobbyists are pumping billions of dollars into mandatory labeling campaigns and anti-GMO laws for reasons that are more driven by ideology than by profit, which seems really naive but I guess it could be true (it totally isn't though)

lol we've been here before

AA is for Quitters posted:

That'd already be covered under FTC, although if it's a third party cert mark there start being easier avenues for abuse.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So it looks like monarch population crashes are likely due to something other than milkweed, because the population crash happens due to increased losses during the migration to Mexico rather than insufficient reproduction before the migration

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Seems well-supported, and the Atkinson Center isn't setting off any warning bells, but it's an early online release and there's no discussion of methodological limitations, both of which signal caution to me. Let's see what response it gets.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Seems well-supported, and the Atkinson Center isn't setting off any warning bells, but it's an early online release and there's no discussion of methodological limitations, both of which signal caution to me. Let's see what response it gets.

Well, it does have sections on how they dealt with the limitations of citizen science data (some punted to the supplement), and the early release should be after peer review, just before page space becomes available in a print issue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blowfish posted:

Well, it does have sections on how they dealt with the limitations of citizen science data (some punted to the supplement), and the early release should be after peer review, just before page space becomes available in a print issue.

I know, but I wanna see how others in the field respond. I just don't know data methods in that area well enough to judge the quality of the work they did. I'm suspicious of early pub material because it's often done either as a headline grabber or as a target- to give respondents enough time to include takedowns in the print edition.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
At first I misread that as the paper being on Steam Early Access.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't steal my ideas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They've already diversified to movies, why not also grab the coveted academic market?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't steal my ideas.

No property rights apply to ideas, so I can't have stolen them. :capitalism:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They've already diversified to movies, why not also grab the coveted academic market?

Basically what arXiv already is- except that Greenlight has higher quality standards.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Basically what arXiv already is- except that Greenlight has higher quality standards.

I hope you know about viXra, the preprint archive for people who can't quite cut it for arXiv. :shepface:

Anyway, I apologize for this derail.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I know, but I wanna see how others in the field respond. I just don't know data methods in that area well enough to judge the quality of the work they did. I'm suspicious of early pub material because it's often done either as a headline grabber or as a target- to give respondents enough time to include takedowns in the print edition.

Even expert-made collections of species records consistently include blatant nonsense data, so from what I gather (though I should mention I haven't touched proper citizen science data myself yet), it's mainly a question of whether you can justify the assumption that your dataset's crappiness is consistent enough to deal with. For rare and particularly difficult species you should check every single point (lol have fun), but for something big and flashy recorded by many people you can probably justify using the available dataset. Regarding the online first thing, iirc many ecology journals make pretty much anything available online first so it's not really a statement about the quality or relevance of the paper.

It's you. You are holding the free energy revolution back. Down with the system, to arms, bring out the space quantum curvature particle powered torches and pitchforks.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hypha posted:

Alright, I'll play ball with a few.

1. It is organic or conventional, but not sustainable.

Conventional agriculture in conjunction with GMOs, gets a bad rap yes but there is incredible pressure to buy into a total system. You cannot buy untreated seed; crops like canola will always come with something like a neonicotinoid applied. As such, you do not have an option to reduce your residue load. Additionally , you have your hybrid seed usually packaged with a herbicide, such as glyphosate. Why buy a Round-up Ready seed if you aren't going to spray? The reps also help to feed into a sense of paranoia for pests and talk up chemicals like an insurance package. They aren't wrong, it will control the pests but will you even have pests to control when the time comes? Stuff like the bloody neonics don't even stay in the group in some fields, there can be significant ground water losses. We are still incredibly leaky sometimes with our applications but there is little incentive to push techniques further. Instead we are to wait on tech like the slow release nitrogen formulas to fix our agronomic mistakes for us. When most of your agronomists are sales driven and work on commission, you are going to get a bunch of dodgy applications. Doesn't help that a leaf looking funny is reason to reach for the sprayer.

Not like organic is some grand savior of the environment. Producers are usually in the dark as to what is coming in that year and they don't get to lean on their triggers like the sprayers. June is a hell of a time to look at a field and not be on a sprayer, takes nerves of steel to bet against an application. If you don't even have that trigger, need to have something. Colleagues joke about the "rapers", who just till and disk it all down over and over just to be sure they got nothing to start problems with. This is incredibly damaging to the environment and your nitrous oxide emissions are going to be through the roof. If there was an environmental benefit, it can be quickly lost. Intercropping is a wonderful tool but I've had a producer who got his intercrop fields downgraded substantially just cause they didn't want to deal with peas in the oats. Of course there is going to be dockage issues but organic is a premium product and the processor doesn't want to deal with it. What is the point of eliminating your mono culture practice if you can't sell it? Now I am not against organic producers but they don't have a complete toolset yet to lean on, at least one that tries to enhance biodiversity over just spraying something different than the other guys.The research just ain't there yet for strong field material or in an accessible way for the producer. There are some groups out there trying to do things differently, such as the Blue Dasher Farm guys http://bluedasher.farm/, but they still have a lot of work to go to get their programs off the ground in a meaningful way. I'll give the university and feds their due too but they are too few and distracted to change things. Organic has some high and mighty morals attached to it but in the end, it is still just the same old business.

2. Rural powerlessness

The average age of a farmer in the US is 58 years. Land prices are huge and incredibly prohibitive to get into for the younger generations. A farmer starting out might be lucky to get a few hundred acres, while people can be still struggling on a few hundred hectares. Many need to have extra income in the city just to make ends meet with what they are able to have. Your margins are slim as hell and if you mess up maybe just for a year, you lose everything and are bought out for a pittance. As of 2014 data, a farmer in the US is just under two times as likely as the general population to commit suicide. We may be losing knowledge faster than we are gaining and just using technology as a crutch. Lots of people lean on that corn subsidy pretty heavily too, hoping that if they just keep yield up, they could make another year. Course there are always those, whether by skill or luck, just turn out fine but there are a lot of ways things go pear-shaped. A rural town just ain't what it used to be and while a lot of that is due to the times, there is real suffering out there and people are blind to it. Whether you are organic or conventional, it doesn't really change things out there. You just might have a few more disposable farm hands and a different label on the truck. A stronger social and economic network needs to be out there to help people, else we are going to keep grabbing at stop gap solutions which burn environmental and social capital to keep things running smoothly.

3. Water management

I still kill myself whenever I go to a grocery store and see Californian vegetables for sale. Isn't that state on the absolute last of its aquifers? There are a lot of ways to enhance water use efficiency but I still see a lot of resistance to techniques like zero till. California, as I understand it, only has a 3% utilization of zero till though they stand to benefit the most from the technique. Water and soil losses are a major concern, only amplified by climate change ensuring we are probably going to lose a big chunk of our arable land in the near future. There is little that the agri-chemical guys nor the organic proponents have for solutions. Oh I see a lot about permaculture and how new organic techniques are sweepingly better but if that was true, somebody somewhere would be making a killing. While California still uses conventional tillage, 35% of America's farmland is claimed to be under a zero till system. If it works, someone will try it eventually, especially a technique that has been around since the 1970s. There is talk about drought resistant GMOs coming up but they are still seem so far away yet. Can't say I blame them cause drought resistance is quite a complex trait but they don't have a solution either as of now. Considering the state of California's water reserves, I would think a "minimal water" label would be nicer than a "non-GMO" label. You can be an organic or conventional farmer and still could protect the land and the water better than what we are doing currently. The oxygen in the room though is being taken up cause the yuppies want to scream at the gene jocks over activated GMO walnuts.

This post got lost in the usual filler found in this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for your post. I assume that you, unlike everybody else in this thread, actually work in agriculture? Your post was way more interesting than the usual whining about misguided environmentalists. Somehow, even after 135 pages of the same posts, day in and day out, the regulars in this thread still do not get tired of it.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 2, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

silence_kit posted:

This post got lost in the usual filler found in this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for you post. I assume that you, unlike everybody else in this thread, actually work in agriculture? Your post was way more interesting than the usual whining about misguided environmentalists. Somehow, even after 135 pages of the same posts, day in and day out, the regulars in this thread still do not get tired of it.

Because it's not what the thread's about, jackass.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it's not what the thread's about, jackass.

This thread basically functions as an outlet for Internet Science Fanboys to whine about misguided environmentalists. There was one poster in this thread who I quoted who actually seemed to know stuff about agriculture who actually wanted to talk about issues confronting agriculture and his posts got ignored in favor of more complaining about hippies' views on GMOs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

silence_kit posted:

This thread basically functions as an outlet for Internet Science Fanboys to whine about misguided environmentalists. There was one poster in this thread who I quoted who actually seemed to know stuff about agriculture who actually wanted to talk about issues confronting agriculture and his posts got ignored in favor of more complaining about hippies' views on GMOs.

That's because the name of the thread is:

The Devil Monsanto, or Combating Scientific Ignorance

Not:

Modern Issues in Agriculture

Modern Issues in Agriculture sounds like a fine thread. Why not go start it if you're sick of us Internet Science Fanboys?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Mods, please change the name of this thread to:

Shut The gently caress Up Discendo Vox

Thanks!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

That's because the name of the thread is:

The Devil Monsanto, or Combating Scientific Ignorance

Not:

Modern Issues in Agriculture

Modern Issues in Agriculture sounds like a fine thread. Why not go start it if you're sick of us Internet Science Fanboys?

LOL, your previous post was vague. I thought you were trying to say that whining about hippies was NOT what the thread is about. Instead you are saying the opposite and you actually meant that actually trying to discuss and understand agriculture is NOT what this thread is really about. Ok, well, don't let me interrupt your circle-jerk about how dumb those hippies really are!

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Slanderer posted:

Mods, please change the name of this thread to:

Shut The gently caress Up Discendo Vox

Thanks!

Am I wrong? Your OP says the thread is about finding ways to combat scientific ignorance, especially in discourse with people caught up in the fringes of internet discourse. That's what the thread is about. Hypha's post was mildly interesting, but no one picked up on it because it wasn't really salient to the purpose of the thread.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Am I wrong? Your OP says the thread is about finding ways to combat scientific ignorance, especially in discourse with people caught up in the fringes of internet discourse. That's what the thread is about. Hypha's post was mildly interesting, but no one picked up on it because it wasn't really salient to the purpose of the thread.

this dumb thread went off the rails after page 3 because it turns out that there just isnt that much to say about anti-scientism, but boy howdy do people want to argue about Monsanto, for years and years.

as for what the thread is actually about, ill just quote myself from forever ago

Slanderer posted:

As the OP, this thread is actually just a honeypot for the ignorant.

Hope that helps.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Slanderer posted:

this dumb thread went off the rails after page 3 because it turns out that there just isnt that much to say about anti-scientism, but boy howdy do people want to argue about Monsanto, for years and years.

Isn't that statement internally contradictory?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

LOL, your previous post was vague. I thought you were trying to say that whining about hippies was NOT what the thread is about. Instead you are saying the opposite and you actually meant that actually trying to discuss and understand agriculture is NOT what this thread is really about. Ok, well, don't let me interrupt your circle-jerk about how dumb those hippies really are!

I like the idea where you create a Problems In Agriculture thread instead of complaining that this thread doesn't talk enough about problems in agriculture

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

I like the idea where you create a Problems In Agriculture thread instead of complaining that this thread doesn't talk enough about problems in agriculture

Gee golly, that sure would be swell! :unsmith:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I think this thread would work better as an overall discussion about the rise and growth of anti-scientific beliefs in the world(or just USA). But I am too lazy to make a thread so whatever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mrit posted:

I think this thread would work better as an overall discussion about the rise and growth of anti-scientific beliefs in the world(or just USA). But I am too lazy to make a thread so whatever.

You could also effort post about it since it's a lot more germane to the topic than "I know about farming."

Anti-science is a weird thing. I recently came across a NOT A CREATIONIST who was raging about NDT on facebook because NAC believes that there are 'serious flaws' in macro-evolution and the big bang theory. 'Serious flaws' being 'not observed by an eyewitness alive right now.'

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mrit posted:

The thread is fine. It's mostly dormant but occasionally someone posts about their hobby farm or pesticides and is promptly told to gently caress off. It's fine as a lesson in logical fallacies and how people perceive GMO vs what it actually is.

The theme throughout this thread is that people desperately want to talk about agriculture in general and for whatever reason see GE as a shorthand for the problems associated with industrial agriculture. It's plainly wrong and it's useful and good to point that out. An agriculture thread would be interesting but the only reason this thread has gone on so long is that people keep conflating issues and that's a valuable - albeit frustrating - discussion in its own right.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Anos posted:

The thread is fine. It's mostly dormant but occasionally someone posts about their hobby farm or pesticides and is promptly told to gently caress off. It's fine as a lesson in logical fallacies and how people perceive GMO vs what it actually is.

The theme throughout this thread is that people desperately want to talk about agriculture in general and for whatever reason see GE as a shorthand for the problems associated with industrial agriculture. It's plainly wrong and it's useful and good to point that out. An agriculture thread would be interesting but the only reason this thread has gone on so long is that people keep conflating issues and that's a valuable - albeit frustrating - discussion in its own right.

It started off as a general discussion of anti-science fringe views, using Monsanto as an example. The unfortunate effect of the draw of Monsanto as a subject, coupled with the thread title's ordering effect, is that people keep perceiving it to be one-note.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Quaker Oats Accused of Being ‘Deceptive and Misleading’ After Glyphosate Detected in Oatmeal

quote:

PepsiCo Inc.’s Quaker Oats has been accused of false advertising by a group of consumers in New York, California and Illinois, who have filed a class action lawsuit challenging the company’s claim of being “100 Percent Natural” despite having traces of the weedkiller glyphosate found in its famous oatmeal.

So are they saying that Quaker Oats are supernatural? :yum:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How much do you want to bet that the same group of people clamoring over trace amounts of glyphosate on oats doesn't raise a stink when Organic products make the same claim but have a similar problem... or maybe don't realize how common it is to find trace amounts of literally anything anywhere? Test any organic product on the shelves and I'm certain you'll find not only glyphosate but also a host of other "unnatural" chemicals in trace amounts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Reminds me a bit of the Taco Bell lawsuit over the fact their tacos weren't 100% American Beef like they misunderstood the ads to be saying and had stuff like spices and grease in them.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

duz posted:

Reminds me a bit of the Taco Bell lawsuit over the fact their tacos weren't 100% American Beef like they misunderstood the ads to be saying and had stuff like spices and grease in them.

If I remember correctly, that lawsuit was alleging that the percentage of beef in the meat mix wasn't high enough for it to be legally called "beef".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

How much do you want to bet that the same group of people clamoring over trace amounts of glyphosate on oats doesn't raise a stink when Organic products make the same claim but have a similar problem... or maybe don't realize how common it is to find trace amounts of literally anything anywhere? Test any organic product on the shelves and I'm certain you'll find not only glyphosate but also a host of other "unnatural" chemicals in trace amounts.

Last year there was a "study" that claimed to show GMO corn is nutritionally deficient compared to organic corn... on the basis of samples of the dirt the crops were grown in, which was measured for calories, vitamins, etc. Again, not the actual plants, but the dirt, was measured. Having trouble finding the link but it came up on a podcast.

That's the kinda rigor people like this are operating under.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plastic isn't natural and anything contained in a plastic container is going to contain trace amounts of plastic. *eyes ten million Organic products in plastic containers*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

Last year there was a "study" that claimed to show GMO corn is nutritionally deficient compared to organic corn... on the basis of samples of the dirt the crops were grown in, which was measured for calories, vitamins, etc. Again, not the actual plants, but the dirt, was measured. Having trouble finding the link but it came up on a podcast.

That's the kinda rigor people like this are operating under.

lol I had never heard of that one. How do these people even come up with this stuff?

"We've proven that GMO Corn is less healthy than Organic Form using a scientific method where we fed people samples of one corn or the other and then asked them to rate a Jimmy Buffet song"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Isn't that just going to run smack dab into the purity levels and fail?

The FDA uses thresholds for purity of foodstuffs, since it's impossible to get anything 100% pure, especially at scale. The levels the plaintiffs are asserting in the product in question (assuming the test was valid, which I'm skeptical about) is almost certainly de minimis.

• Locked thread