Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The green gun munchers only give out poo poo guns most likely. Its only yellow onces that given decent results.

Items can only be sold to grate-man.

Edit: Bosses and Bullet hell aside the game becomes piss easy once you learn which enemies actually fire in which patterns/lead shots and which dont.

Gun Munchers turn guns into equal tier weapons, or averaged. If you feed it poo poo, you get poo poo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FrickenMoron posted:

The green gun munchers only give out poo poo guns most likely. Its only yellow onces that given decent results.

Edit: Bosses and Bullet hell aside the game becomes piss easy once you learn which enemies actually fire in which patterns/lead shots and which dont.

Green munchers can give out good stuff, iirc they average the chest tier of the guns you put in and rng it slightly up or down. Put in two crap guns and you're probably getting a crap gun though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ah well, with my playstyle its usually the crap guns that are out of ammo.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

enojy posted:

Who do you sell items to? I don't remember seeing the option at the moustached shopkeeper dude.

Sometimes the shop has a grating in the floor with a little green guy who pokes his head out when you stand near. Drop items on the grating and he'll throw brass out for payment.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Justin_Brett posted:

I think I'm done with the game. If they try to buff some of the guns (or even just excise ones that are overly gimmicky or weak) or fix the dumb HP scaling I'll give it another shot, but it seems like they went out of their way to make sure nothing stood out at all. Even guns you get out of the big chests aren't any fun.

uhh what?

the vulcan cannon, black hole gun, completed railgun etc. don't stand out?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
There are definitely some pretty lovely guns, but there are also a lot of super powerful ones with unique mechanics. At least two of them I've run across can wipe an entire room with a single shot. A lot of situational and moderately powerful guns with cool designs as well.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It is cool being surprised by how effective a seemingly meh gun can be. I was using the gun that shoots ricocheting ice cubes against the Beholster, and when those cubes hit an enemy they explode and wipe out any bullets in their radius. It's not a strong gun, but those explosions wiped out half of each wave of bullets the Beholster was firing at me and I think that's the first time I've gotten a no-hit kill on that boss.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
speaking of ridiculous guns: holy poo poo the super meat gun. Hello Metal Blade

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Just got to the final level for the first time, and beat the game, and successfully killed my past as the pilot, all in one amazing run. I got the sniper rifle in level one along with the stinger, used the stinger to murder the raven without taking damage and then went into the oubliette. Beat that boss for the first time and also flawlessed him and got the muscle relaxants, which buffs the sniper rifle insanely. I then rode that to the end of the game - it one shots any enemy except gun nuts and the giant skeletons that fling ball and chains and the totems which it one shots each level for. One shotting an iron maiden before it fired was awesome.

Since I was cruising so hard I bought the primer, then got the wings which let me easy mode the powder and bullet and I crushed everything. I beat the pilots past with one half heart left because I didn't figure out the lasers until almost too late.

loving awesome run.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

I did my first Sorceress run and it was a blast. Why does this cost Hegemoney? It should just be a fun way to play.

It's like this game wants you to cheat away all its inconveniences.

It was free in development, but when playing it a tester said "Wow! This mode is really f-" and the developer screamed "DON'T SAY THAT WORD" before kicking the tester to the ground, smashing the monitor and charging away to go code in a bunch of limitations

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Zorodius posted:

uhh what?

the vulcan cannon, black hole gun, completed railgun etc. don't stand out?

Never found any of those.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Just got to the final level for the first time, and beat the game, and successfully killed my past as the pilot, all in one amazing run. I got the sniper rifle in level one along with the stinger, used the stinger to murder the raven without taking damage and then went into the oubliette. Beat that boss for the first time and also flawlessed him and got the muscle relaxants, which buffs the sniper rifle insanely. I then rode that to the end of the game - it one shots any enemy except gun nuts and the giant skeletons that fling ball and chains and the totems which it one shots each level for. One shotting an iron maiden before it fired was awesome.

Since I was cruising so hard I bought the primer, then got the wings which let me easy mode the powder and bullet and I crushed everything. I beat the pilots past with one half heart left because I didn't figure out the lasers until almost too late.

loving awesome run.

You think that's awesome, wait until you get the Clone. Just ended Bullet Hell with >999 kills, 915 total money found, fully satisfied the red muncher with still at least 12 guns left, Elder Blank + Knife Shield, Table Tech Blanks+Rocket and Gold+Chaos Ammolet, Wings, the wolf, backwards firing thing, and I can't remember what else. And yet, I'm still pissed that I got hit on the very last dodge roll for the Dragun to get the Lead God unlock.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Umm for lead God you need 5 masteries total not 5 different ones.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FrickenMoron posted:

Which should be a bug, unfortunately.

In other news, I can get to bullet hell pretty consistently if I don't get wiped by the Floor 4 boss. Those fights can go terribly wrong even with the right equipment, especially if you get the Kill Pillars. They are the new Treadnaught.

As for Floor 5, Dragun is actually laughably easy once you come to the realization that his patterns all have simple ways to avoid them (stay in the corner and sometimes move to the other corner). It's only when he does his final attack and forces you to dodge sideways too many times that he can hit you.

Quick Draw is nuts with single-round weapons. I had this gun that fired a single big bullet that then split into several homing shots. I could fire two of them in quick succession at the cost of a single bullet.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yo, I just fought the Wallmonger and at some point in the fight, I dodge rolled, as ya do, and I dropped the television, and now I can't loving find it. There's an item icon on the map but this thing is just not here. I think it might be inside Wallmonger's corpse or something.

God drat it gently caress this.

edit: lmao and then I glitch out on the final walkway so I can't even continue the game. I can't move. Cool.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 2, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Starting in at least level 2 would be great, as the first level is getting boring, and I've probably been relying on the starter pistol more than anything else so far anyway.

Bad news, but taking the shortcut to Level 2 doesn't give you anything to compensate for the missed resources on level 1, which means you miss out on about 50-75 shells of currency with no extra guns or keys (or a mastery) to show for it. The shortcuts for level 3 and on at least give you some free guns to compensate.

I think taking the elevator also stops Hegemoney from dropping. It's mostly only good as a challenge, for boss practice, or for completing hunts. Even the Boss Rush you unlock for completing all the elevator shortcuts costs Hegemoney to play :wtc:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Justin_Brett posted:

Never found any of those.

They're all later Ox and Cadence unlocks I think, not sure about the completed railgun.

Power of Pecota posted:

Jesus the High Priest's darkness move is a crock of poo poo. I think every time I've beaten the guy it's just because I could DPS him down before he cycled into it.

As a follow-up to this, I'm thinking this is a mac version thing because that's usually the source of bugs that I get, but when he does this move:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYChFe7moU&t=1158s

the bullets aren't lit up. There are just really faint outlines if you squint hard enough. This also explains the floor 5 room that's pitch black without the lit-up eyes like the floor 4 one that I just have to blindly fire in until it's over.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Floodkiller posted:

Bad news, but taking the shortcut to Level 2 doesn't give you anything to compensate for the missed resources on level 1, which means you miss out on about 50-75 shells of currency with no extra guns or keys (or a mastery) to show for it. The shortcuts for level 3 and on at least give you some free guns to compensate.

I think taking the elevator also stops Hegemoney from dropping. It's mostly only good as a challenge, for boss practice, or for completing hunts. Even the Boss Rush you unlock for completing all the elevator shortcuts costs Hegemoney to play :wtc:

poo poo! Yeah, you're right; I just unlocked the second floor elevator, but going in fresh hurts more than stocking up for 10 minutes in the easy first level.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Even if you never use the shortcuts, unlocking them is still a good idea, since each shortcut also unlocks new items, including stuff like the AKEY-47 (a gun that unlocks chests and doors that you shoot it at).

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Shortcuts are dumb tho and I wish it had a more BoI Donation Machine mechanic where you can decide to give it X amount of keys/armour/coins that go towards Y amount needed to fix it.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
game hates me and ALWAYS gives me ammo when I lose just a little bit while playing Marine and still have the starter active in my inv

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
gently caress these dumb frifle quests. You get a reasonably sane one (40 green lizards from level 3) and then suddenly 30 shambling rounds.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Polaris + Metronome has to be the most powerful combo

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So the common consensus is to ignore brown chests, but honestly, I think that's wrong. "Common" drops seem to be really helpful a lot of the time. Sure, the •guns• aren't ever a massive upgrade, but the Passover and actives can be huge. Getting a bomb, or bullet time, or the ammo generator is totally worth a key. And on floor 1 (where it seems like Browns are usually found), even if you're stuck with a "common" gun a lot of them can carry floor 2 just fine. Any of the rapid-fire variants are decent boss killer options for the early bosses, too.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

FrickenMoron posted:

Duplicates are probably not the intended way of earning this, considering it popped for me when I was only holding 4 (gave one to elevator guy before killing Dragun).

edit: The trophy says "collect" not "hold" so I guess it's technically correct, just weird to have the "hardest" achievement in the game be cheesable by simply playing boss rush.

Taratang fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2016

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I wouldnt miss brown chests if they just took them out the game altogether or maybe unlocked them all.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If anyone ever wonders if the Microtransaction gun is worth the 100H it costs, no it isn't.

parthenocarpy posted:

Polaris + Metronome has to be the most powerful combo

also the most fragile combo...

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I feel like junk should be a 20% drop and should still be worth a random amount from 1 to 70

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
lacking of healing is gonna prevent me from ever beating bullet hell. I can go in with 5 full hearts but the enemies are just so brutal and every room has so many rounds that it just wears you the hell down.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, the achievement says "Collect five Master Rounds in one run", it doesn't say anything about five different ones

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

AlexJade posted:

lacking of healing is gonna prevent me from ever beating bullet hell. I can go in with 5 full hearts but the enemies are just so brutal and every room has so many rounds that it just wears you the hell down.

The trick with Bullet Hell is to stick and move. Plus, any guns with a lot of knockback are great for Bullet Hell, due to the amount of rooms with pits.

Jammed enemies die all the same to a pit. :)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I have never seen anything but green ones myself. I only toss poo poo thats out of ammo in them on principle since ammo still loving sucks.

YoungSexualNorton posted:

There are definitely some pretty lovely guns, but there are also a lot of super powerful ones with unique mechanics. At least two of them I've run across can wipe an entire room with a single shot. A lot of situational and moderately powerful guns with cool designs as well.

Considering how common bog standard guns are the few fun ones stand out, but there is just so many bog standards.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some of the low tier guns are surprisingly good if you give them a chance. The Sling is the obvious one, but the regular shotgun is pretty good as well, and can easily carry you to the end of the Forge. Just as an example.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Got the scarf for the first time today. It's neat especially being able to teleport anywhere on screen but gently caress I kinda really don't like it, felt like I got hit a shitload more trying to use that than I would have been just dodging. I don't even play this with controller I can't imagine how bad it is for the people who do holy poo poo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Shima Honnou posted:

Got the scarf for the first time today. It's neat but gently caress I kinda really don't like it, felt like I got hit a shitload more trying to use that than I would have been just dodging. I don't even play this with controller I can't imagine how bad it is for the people who do holy poo poo.

I don't bother picking it up and for some reason you can't sell it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
How do you actually cycle through the stop time gun menu on KB+M?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Mouse wheel. If you don't have one, no idea - maybe there's a keybind?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Gamerofthegame posted:

When I used kb+m I rebound it to left shift because I used it very often.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shima Honnou posted:

Got the scarf for the first time today. It's neat especially being able to teleport anywhere on screen but gently caress I kinda really don't like it, felt like I got hit a shitload more trying to use that than I would have been just dodging. I don't even play this with controller I can't imagine how bad it is for the people who do holy poo poo.

This is the problem with the grappling hook too. You can use it to stun guys, but if you ever miss you are basically guaranteed to take damage since it will yank you right into their bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
holy poo poo lmao, have you guys seen what happens when you bring the Blobulord leftover to one of the spinning Poop corn leftovers? not gonna spoil it but wow. You just make sure the Blobulord blob follows you all the way to a living corn