Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

the iPhone SE (Steve edition) has a headphone jack and is perfect so idk why this discussion is even a thing

just buy that one and be happy

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

triple sulk posted:

if they can the 3.5 jack and make the bump even more stupid my next phone is gonna be an iphone se

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the se is tits and a great phone but the se being good is not a ringing endorsement of apple's current product line by any means.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the se is so good

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

triple sulk posted:

if they can the 3.5 jack and make the bump even more stupid my next phone is gonna be a nexus or windows phone

i'll probably get a used 6S and keep it until the heat death of the universe, at which time either apple will unfuck itself and have a good product again, or android will be usable

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'll probably get a used 6S and keep it until the heat death of the universe, at which time either apple will unfuck itself and have a good product again, or android will be usable

imessage is the only thing i really give a total poo poo about on ios these days. there's not a lot that i'm particularly tied to otherwise. touch id is great too of course so i guess there's that but it's a different kind of need compared to the almighty blue bubble. i don't use an assload of different apps so either of the other platforms would pretty much do the job and i'd mostly just be missing out on a few select games.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zen death robot posted:

hell if the renders are at all accurate the camera bump is gonna stick out even further so what the hell is the point? just make the whole phone that thick and use the space for battery

was gonna post exactly this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be honest if my iPhone was any thinner it would be even more uncomfortable to hold in one hand. It's already a slippery piece of poo poo being mostly stainless steel and glass where every other manufacturer except Samsung's Not-iPhone line has rubberized plastic on the back specifically to make it easier to hold

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Durr buy a $80 case. No gently caress that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

triple sulk posted:

imessage is the only thing i really give a total poo poo about on ios these days. there's not a lot that i'm particularly tied to otherwise. touch id is great too of course so i guess there's that but it's a different kind of need compared to the almighty blue bubble. i don't use an assload of different apps so either of the other platforms would pretty much do the job and i'd mostly just be missing out on a few select games.

same but notification count badges. I can't stand that I can't see how many Facebook notifications I have on the home screen. its so god drat simple

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i don't really care if they remove the headphone jack or if there's a camera bump

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uncurable mlady posted:

i don't really care if they remove the headphone jack or if there's a camera bump

You're the target audience of fool with money.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the politicians lower taxes, fight enormous wars, give enormous bailouts to wall street, then make cuts to education to make up for it. then tell schools to modernize. so some principal somewhere is desperate to meet their budget and calls up apple and harasses them on the phone until they refund all the apps they've ever bought.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I keep my iPhone in one of apples leather cases

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the solution is to put grip tape on it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wild EEPROM posted:

the solution is to put grip tape on it

that's your solution to everything

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I'm about to buy $300 westone earphones and ill be goddamned if timb is going to make me buy a $50 dongle just so i can use it and end up with a cable thats too long and a phone thats too thin

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I'm about to buy $300 westone earphones and ill be goddamned if timb is going to make me buy a $50 dongle just so i can use it and end up with a cable thats too long and a phone thats too thin

have this 80$ lightning to 3.5mm adaptor

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

The reason I care about the headphone jack is because my car stereo doesn't support bluetooth and I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money either upgrading it or buying overpriced dongles because Lord Tim is desperate for cash and can't actually come up with a real product so he needs to license adapters for basic poo poo like 3.5mm or even things like 'have your phone plugged in and connected to a stereo at the same time
get something like this even if you have a headphone port on your device and aux input on the car because
the quality is better
it connects really drat fast, like you can click the play button on the bluetooth receiver and have your music playing before you put your car in gear
and that you can just leave your device in your pocket and dont need to plug/unplug anything every time you get in or out of your car

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pissflaps posted:

I keep my iPhone in one of apples leather cases

mate idk about that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

there is still the chance that time is cyclical, in which case steve will return and fix all this poo poo eventually

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

evilcat
May 16, 2009

poty posted:

the android badphones will keep it for like 2 years and make some populist marketing about it and then drop it too

Not that all android phones are equal, but one Chinese maker of android phones (LeEco) has already dropped the 3.5mm jack for USB only (for their Le 2, Le 2Pro, and LeMax2), and they're doing earbuds/headphones specifically for it instead of a dongle.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple would be wise to follow in the footsteps of the market defining company leeco

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Encrypted posted:

get something like this even if you have a headphone port on your device and aux input on the car because
the quality is better
it connects really drat fast, like you can click the play button on the bluetooth receiver and have your music playing before you put your car in gear
and that you can just leave your device in your pocket and dont need to plug/unplug anything every time you get in or out of your car

Bluetooth consumes more power so then I have to plug it in anyway, to the charger

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

The reason I care about the headphone jack is because my car stereo doesn't support bluetooth and I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money either upgrading it or buying overpriced dongles because Lord Tim is desperate for cash and can't actually come up with a real product so he needs to license adapters for basic poo poo like 3.5mm or even things like 'have your phone plugged in and connected to a stereo at the same time

dongles? upgrade?

no you need an  Car to use your iPhone in the car! hahaha!

but seriously how many years does Apple have to support non-USB, non-BT car stereos for? how long should it have supported floppy for, or CD?

same loving complaints every time they release any product or upgrade.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they should support the standard for analog audio output since everyone else does and there is no reason not to when every other audio device does. Especially since a lot of people use their smartphones as a thing to play streaming music through stereos since there aren't many non horrible smart stereos

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress wires bluetooth supremacy

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Larry Parrish posted:

I think they should support the standard for analog audio output since everyone else does and there is no reason not to when every other audio device does. Especially since a lot of people use their smartphones as a thing to play streaming music through stereos since there aren't many non horrible smart stereos

3.5mm headphone jack is bad, it shorts itself when plugging in and out and it's also huge and long for the tiny amounts of power going through it, there is no reason the standard shouldn't change but I don't think lightning is the right port change

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

like god drat the port doesn't even support a microphone and any form of input by default, instead it requires some spec breaking hacks. A bad port

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

maybe they can go to 2.5mm lol the dongles would be cheap at least

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my moms dumbphone broke so im giving her my old 5s and switched her to a data plan on Virgin mobile. it's gonna rock her socks :getin:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

THC posted:

data plan on Virgin mobile

isnt that just mvno of sprint? you may as well go for cricket or even tmo's 30 dollar plan instead

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we're in Canada so it's on the Bell network, she had Virgin prepaid before (my old account from when I was in high school), didn't feel like moving to a new carrier

35 Canadian pesos for 100 megabytes lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zen death robot posted:

are all of the us carriers unlimited LTE data now?

Verizon still doesn't which sucks because no other carrier in California has good coverage outside of the Bay Area, Capitol, and the big cities down south

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

while verizon is unusably slow in popular area of the city

pick your poison really

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

zen death robot posted:

are all of the us carriers unlimited LTE data now?

if you pay for it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

like god drat the port doesn't even support a microphone and any form of input by default, instead it requires some spec breaking hacks. A bad port

if only there was some way for a phone to natively receive audio input

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if you pay for it

no, only sprint and t-mobile have it available for everyone. Verizon doesn't have it at all (their biggest plan is 18 gb), and at&t will let you have it for $100 (plus $40 per line) if you also happen to be a dish or u-verse customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any device that needs audio input is either big enough to have more than 2 ports or supports Bluetooth. Anyway if you recall they do in fact make two-way 3.5mm jacks... the standard iPhone headphones has a microphone with a few buttons on it. Yet another reason why it's retarded to have no audio port

• Locked thread