Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Speaking of German cars, if drink driving was legal and we took one shot every time a German car is driven by a dipshit, my part of Sweden would be nothing but the dead and the dying. Why is this. Why are WV and Volvo the "wife wouldn't let me buy a beemer/audi/merc" brands. What about German engineering attracts these people. Not enough money/loan capability to buy a Lambo, a Ferrari or a Porsche?

Kudos to the people driving German that we do not notice. At least we don't have to dodge Mustangs peeling out of coffee shops.

Because why wait a couple of minutes (from Stockholm Sweden dashcammer user/thedll1/ )

e: oh I wish I shared the road with these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TankNutDave?videos

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Today coming home I'm following an Avalon (always a warning sign) cruising down the middle and they begin what appears to be an unsignaled right turn. I slow down, and they just stop. Middle of of the road, blocking everything. I honk. Nothing. Honk again. They begin to do a u turn, can't make it due to driving down the middle. Have to back up to complete.

I'm staring the whole time trying to figure out what's going on, but they steadfastly refuse to make eye contact.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

MrLonghair posted:

Kudos to the people driving German that we do not notice. At least we don't have to dodge Mustangs peeling out of coffee shops.

Because why wait a couple of minutes (from Stockholm Sweden dashcammer user/thedll1/ )

I don't get it. Did you post this because he's using a left-side pump with a right-side filler hatch? Besides the fact that it reaches and he's not inconveniencing anybody else, lots of gas stations specifically tell you that you can do that instead of worrying about getting in the "correct" line and wasting time. Who cares?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I drive a BMW but haven't received my membership card because I still use my turn signals.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was approaching a green light behind one other car today. Saturn Aura I think.

Driver was on their cell phone. Came to a full stop at the light. The green light. The light that was green. What light? Green light. In darkest day in darkest night, a full loving stop at a green loving light. I honked and he gave me THE loving ONE FINGER IN THE AIR HOLD ON HAND SIGN. Not flipped me off, a definitive "Hold on a second"

Then took a right turn without signalling it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrLonghair posted:

Actually Mustangs are Fords. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Actually Mustangs are Fords. :v:

Not only can you dodge Mustangs, you can also ford Challengers

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Raluek posted:

Not only can you dodge Mustangs, you can also ford Challengers

:golfclap:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
German car drivers are objectively bad drivers though. They are the brotruckers of Europe.

Edit: As in the people who buy them for their perceived status and cost. Not people who enjoy them as cars.

VVVVV: Now that you mention it, it's also the 316i models that show up on ad-sites and you instantly know that they have been driven hard by wannabe drift morons.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 1, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrOnBicycle posted:

German car drivers are objectively bad drivers though. They are the brotruckers of Europe.

Edit: As in the people who buy them for their perceived status and cost. Not people who enjoy them as cars.
The perfect storm of it is a base-model German car that looks (or can be easily made to look) like a higher model, now at the bottom of its depreciation curve but not yet a classic, just an older (but still relatively modern) car.

A debadged E46 316i parked in a ratty area has a ridiculous probability of being owned by an utter twunt.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

http://imgur.com/gallery/LbNliUq

:stonklol:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Poor bastard never had a chance.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Million to one shot, doc. Million to one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InitialDave posted:

*shrug* Yeah, been there, done that, and those occasions were no-one's fault but my own.

I certainly don't want excessive regulation of [loving idiotic thing I did] ruining stuff for everyone else. I don't want the world to be wrapped in cotton wool and covered in warning signs because some people don't understand poo poo like "railways have trains on them, and they will goosh you good and proper". There are some things where the correct reaction of society as a whole should be to shrug and say "Well, I'm not entirely sure what you thought was going to happen, frankly, but yeah. There you go."

I hear that but really want a "you do something idiotic and reckless, you have no ground to sue" type of situation. Drive around train barriers and get blasted by a train? Their fault, they deal with the expenses and neither the train company, conductor or anyone else can be held at fault. With cell phones, I wish there was some way (like a signal jammer) to prevent their use in cars entirely, but that won't happen considering manufacturers are already integrating hands-free cell poo poo into every car now. Maybe a kill switch attached to a charging cradle in the center console, so if your phone isn't cradled while driving, the engine won't start - treat it like we treat multiple DUI offenders who have to get those breathalyzer machines installed.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
What troubles me with cellphone laws is that they're extremely bipolar. Get caught driving while texting? $50. Cause a fatal accident while texting? Felony homicide (or whatever it is).

How is it that something considered so minor by the justice system is at the same time an enormously dangerous thing that can land you 20 years in jail. It really should face the same sort of day-to-day enforcement as drunk driving if they're going to treat the times when it leads to an accident so severely; so either we stop pretending we give a poo poo about it and forget the charges when there's an accident or we actually start giving a poo poo about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dave Inc. posted:

What troubles me with cellphone laws is that they're extremely bipolar. Get caught driving while texting? $50. Cause a fatal accident while texting? Felony homicide (or whatever it is).

How is it that something considered so minor by the justice system is at the same time an enormously dangerous thing that can land you 20 years in jail. It really should face the same sort of day-to-day enforcement as drunk driving if they're going to treat the times when it leads to an accident so severely; so either we stop pretending we give a poo poo about it and forget the charges when there's an accident or we actually start giving a poo poo about it.

If you're going to give a poo poo about that, shouldn't you also give a poo poo about people eating while driving, people carrying on conversations with passengers while driving, people having screaming children in the car while driving, people futzing about with the radio while driving, and so forth?

There are a shitload of potential distractions while driving and easily-targeted ones aren't necessarily any worse than ones that are harder to target. A bunch of states have laws requiring the use of hands-free devices for cell phones while driving, but there's data indicating that hands-free versus holding the phone make no difference, it's the act of carrying on the conversation that distracts the driver, not the means of carrying it on. Indiana even managed to ban using a GPS device while you drive, but having a bigass folding roadmap out while you're driving is okay. There's a huge amount of poo poo that can distract people and lead to accidents; banning all those things isn't practical or even desirable, so I have no problem with laws that generally ignore those things but consider them an aggravating factor in the event that something bad happens.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Texting is not a verbal conversation. It requires physically removing your eyes from the road. Not to mention how you can't touch type anymore. Texting has shown to be worse in most circumstances.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phanatic posted:

If you're going to give a poo poo about that, shouldn't you also give a poo poo about people eating while driving, people carrying on conversations with passengers while driving, people having screaming children in the car while driving, people futzing about with the radio while driving, and so forth?

There are a shitload of potential distractions while driving and easily-targeted ones aren't necessarily any worse than ones that are harder to target. A bunch of states have laws requiring the use of hands-free devices for cell phones while driving, but there's data indicating that hands-free versus holding the phone make no difference, it's the act of carrying on the conversation that distracts the driver, not the means of carrying it on. Indiana even managed to ban using a GPS device while you drive, but having a bigass folding roadmap out while you're driving is okay. There's a huge amount of poo poo that can distract people and lead to accidents; banning all those things isn't practical or even desirable, so I have no problem with laws that generally ignore those things but consider them an aggravating factor in the event that something bad happens.

I just don't like that texting or talking on a cellphone is a slap on the wrist if caught outside of an accident, but if caught texting or talking on a cellphone resulting in an accident results in very severe criminal penalties. If it's so dangerous to be considered an aggravating factor or flat-out cause of an accident, shouldn't we treat it much more severely on the day-to-day cases so people are more respectful of its hazards (similar to severe penalties for drunk driving even if it doesn't result in an accident)?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Inc. posted:

I just don't like that texting or talking on a cellphone is a slap on the wrist if caught outside of an accident, but if caught texting or talking on a cellphone resulting in an accident results in very severe criminal penalties. If it's so dangerous to be considered an aggravating factor or flat-out cause of an accident, shouldn't we treat it much more severely on the day-to-day cases so people are more respectful of its hazards (similar to severe penalties for drunk driving even if it doesn't result in an accident)?

Discharging a firearm in the city limits is a fine.

Discharging a firearm in the city limits into someone is a jail sentence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's reasonable that the punishment fits the crime. If you haven't hurt anyone yet there's no reason to cart you off to federal pound-you-in-the-rear end prison.

There's a valid argument that putting other humans at risk deserves more than a "slap on the wrist" but that line of thinking leads into some Minority Report pre-crime poo poo and even though the system we have now isn't perfect it's certainly better than going down that road.

I do support something more beefy than a $50 fine though. Make it a few hundred bucks and maybe a mandatory driving safety course or something. It should sting, but not be ruinous.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Swap around the penalties for speeding and cell phone use and I think things would be fairly well balanced. Using a cell phone is more dangerous than speeding most of the time anyway.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I live in Wisconsin. What are these "severe penalties for drunk driving" you speak of?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yellow plates?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Continued residence in Wisconsin

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dave Inc. posted:

I really don't think you want to go down the road of drunk driving enforcement. Checkpoints for texting?

Consider speeding: If it's caught outside of an accident, you get a fine. If you flat-out wreck someone because you were speeding, that's an aggravating factor and you can get charged with a real crime and go to prison. So that's exactly what you describe with cell phone use.

I think "No harm, no foul" is a perfectly valid approach to law enforcement. What baseline level of risk are you prepared to accept? If it's zero, stay home and don't drive because that's the riskiest thing you're going to do on a regular basis (other than cross the road as a pedestrian). Does using a cellphone or, worse, texting, increase that baseline level of risk? Yeah, probably, but again, so do other things. You take your eyes off the road to hit send, but you also take your eyes off the road whenever you check your blind spot to make a lane change. Rubbernecking is something increases your risk of being in an accident something like 9 times, it's far worse than texting. The riskiest thing sober people do in a car is reach for some moving object, like if your kid in his carseat drops his sippy cup and it starts rolling around dribbling chocolate milk on your seats. Should we be posting cops up by accident scenes so they can arrest rubberneckers?

Okay, maybe that's a bad argument on my part because yes they absolutely should.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I

Okay, maybe that's a bad argument on my part because yes they absolutely should.
I was going to say this, but you said it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

loving yay. The PA Turnpike has finally raised the speed limit to 70 across most of the state. Apparently they were given permission to do it but had to do a safety study first, and the results of the study in the areas they'd previously raised it to 70 were no increase in fatalities, and a decrease in crashes. I'm gonna guess because people are less inclined to putter along in the passing lane and so the speed differential between drivers and idiots is lower

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Until people acclimate to the new speed limit and are suddenly pushing 85 anyways.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Until people acclimate to the new speed limit and are suddenly pushing 85 anyways.

As if they weren't doing 85 where it was possible

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah there's always outliers, but they raised the limit around Chicago last year and instead of most everyone doing 65 in a 55 with the assholes doing 75, it's most people doing 75 in a 60 with the assholes doing 90.

State troopers love it though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I already do 100-110 when I have the space for it

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phanatic posted:

loving yay. The PA Turnpike has finally raised the speed limit to 70 across most of the state. Apparently they were given permission to do it but had to do a safety study first, and the results of the study in the areas they'd previously raised it to 70 were no increase in fatalities, and a decrease in crashes. I'm gonna guess because people are less inclined to putter along in the passing lane and so the speed differential between drivers and idiots is lower

Some sections of Rt. 80 in PA are up to 70 as well. It surprised me when I was driving west from my house and came into a 70mph zone. I didn't actually go any faster though, since now I'm an old.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Everyone speeds everywhere in the country.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Everyone speeds, but it's worse when the speed limit is way too low for a given road. People naturally want to go the speed the road's designed for, barring a few outliers(assholes who want to go fast, assholes/scared drivers who want to go slow). With unrealistically low limits, you get more variance in how fast everyone's going, which contributes to crashes.

The Illinois tollway speed limits are a good example of this; the only people going 55 before were the ones who always go exactly the limit. Everyone else tended to go the speed that congestion & highway layout permitted. (Typically 70-75, except for rush hour & the highways in Chicago itself)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What in the gently caress. Twice now in the last few weeks I have had someone try to pass me on the left, as I'm turning left into my driveway. I just had to make sure my signal wasn't broken. And no, a turn signal doesn't mean go ahead and pass me on that side.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Not quite sharing the road, but I took this photo on a trip to Rye on Sunday with my other half.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jamal posted:

What in the gently caress. Twice now in the last few weeks I have had someone try to pass me on the left, as I'm turning left into my driveway. I just had to make sure my signal wasn't broken. And no, a turn signal doesn't mean go ahead and pass me on that side.

People do that all the time at my apartment complex. I'll start turning into a parking spot, and the person behind me just zooms in front of me. Holy poo poo no, wait the 3 seconds it takes for me to pull in?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

People do that all the time at my apartment complex. I'll start turning into a parking spot, and the person behind me just zooms in front of me. Holy poo poo no, wait the 3 seconds it takes for me to pull in?

Never had anyone do that to me (yet), it's the constant stream of "hey you backing up? LEMME CHARGE RIGHT IN BEHIND YOU!" asshats. It's not even "can't see the vehicle", because I've had vehicles whip through between me and whatever is behind me with about a foot clearance on either side. :catstare: All I can figure is they're sucking around for that sweet sweet insurance-fraud money.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So both of my motorcycle wheels have now been curbed, with big chunks (probably little scratches, but I was really mad when I was looking at them) taken out. They're holding air a few miles later so it's likely all cosmetic.

I had just changed lanes from one ramp to another when the guy behind me in the lane I had just changed into decided to pass me on me left in my lane despite me having passed him quite quickly while getting to the spot I changed lanes at, I went with an "Okay gently caress it I'm moving over to the gravel" to avoid getting hit he was so close (I think he actually tapped my elbow with his mirror) and apparently there's a ~4" drop from blacktop to gravel that I clunked the rims on moving over.

On the plus side, I didn't crash or get hit by an rear end in a top hat. On the downside they're scratches on the left side I'm going to see forever/until I do something about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

So both of my motorcycle wheels have now been curbed, with big chunks (probably little scratches, but I was really mad when I was looking at them) taken out. They're holding air a few miles later so it's likely all cosmetic.

I had just changed lanes from one ramp to another when the guy behind me in the lane I had just changed into decided to pass me on me left in my lane despite me having passed him quite quickly while getting to the spot I changed lanes at, I went with an "Okay gently caress it I'm moving over to the gravel" to avoid getting hit he was so close (I think he actually tapped my elbow with his mirror) and apparently there's a ~4" drop from blacktop to gravel that I clunked the rims on moving over.

On the plus side, I didn't crash or get hit by an rear end in a top hat. On the downside they're scratches on the left side I'm going to see forever/until I do something about them.

drat. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.