Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Mantis42 posted:

I saw a post where they debate the source of "Spain is not the Emperor".

While my mandarin is not very good. I love how some people got it immediately while some others went into a long spiel into detailed explanations, such as the guy who wrote about how while Spain conquered the Inca empire it wasn't really one itself. My favorite one was the one that detailed how Empires were described in classical antiquity from Rome to West/East Rome to ottomans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Koramei posted:

e: surprising lack of nationalistic ranting though, i have to say

I do like that Asia Universalis has a Reclaim Taiwan decision though...

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 1, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trundel posted:

On statehood and territories does the double coring end up being around the same admin amount as before?

I haven't played at all since before estates got added so I'm doing a lot of catch up. Every time I need to add an estate I forget that you do it from the buildings sidebar, and wonder why you can't do it from the estate interaction screen.

Yes, if you're creating a state core then overall you're spending exactly same amount as you would have paid under the old system.

The first coring cost (territory core) is what it would have cost to core a "distant overseas" province under the old system. This means 75% autonomy floor, but no state maintenance and no overextension, and you're only paying 50% of the normal coring cost. Territory cores disappear if you lose control of the province for any reason.

The second coring cost (state core) is the remainder of what it would have cost to core a normal province under the old system. At this point you've spent exactly the same amount of admin as you would have paid under the old system, and you're getting the same benefits (0% autonomy floor, core continues existing even if you lose the province, etc)

There are a few ways in which you can wind up paying more admin than before. Territory cores are lost if you lose the province to someone else; you have to pay those admin points again if you retake the province. And if you revert states back into territories, all of those state cores become territory cores and you don't get refunded any admin points.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Spergs are always spergs. But how do you get to coring distance on the Mamluks that fast from Ming?

quote:

24 Zhu Qizhen has 1 point in Military, shouldn't it be 0? (Editor's note: Zhu Qizhen is the ruler of Ming in the starting date, he is famous for being an idiot and got captured by Oriat)
:allears:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IDK, maybe abuse map sharing and no CB wars.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, if you're creating a state core then overall you're spending exactly same amount as you would have paid under the old system.

The first coring cost (territory core) is what it would have cost to core a "distant overseas" province under the old system. This means 75% autonomy floor, but no state maintenance and no overextension, and you're only paying 50% of the normal coring cost. Territory cores disappear if you lose control of the province for any reason.

The second coring cost (state core) is the remainder of what it would have cost to core a normal province under the old system. At this point you've spent exactly the same amount of admin as you would have paid under the old system, and you're getting the same benefits (0% autonomy floor, core continues existing even if you lose the province, etc)

There are a few ways in which you can wind up paying more admin than before. Territory cores are lost if you lose the province to someone else; you have to pay those admin points again if you retake the province. And if you revert states back into territories, all of those state cores become territory cores and you don't get refunded any admin points.

How do these stepped cores interact with claims? Does the game remember that you had a 10% reduction in price for the territory core when making the state core, or does it become a 20% reduction just for the territory core?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Territories have a 75% autonomy floor, but the autonomy is reduced to 50% when you turn them into states with territory cores, and the autonomy floor is lifted completely when you turn them into state cores (the autonomy actually falls quite quickly once you do this). An autonomy decrease translates into a trade power and production efficiency increase, which means a trade income boost if you're collecting upstream of a new state.

Production efficiency doesn't affect trade income at all. Autonomy does decrease trade power, but only by up to half. The amount of goods produced is totally unaffected by autonomy, so turning a territory into a state has a very marginal effect on trade income.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Then there's really no purpose in making them states?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are plenty of reasons, but trade income is not one of them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

There are plenty of reasons, but trade income is not one of them.

Trade power does get affected by it though? Even though it's not as big of a deal since autonomy only reduces trade power by 50%, and there's also trade companies.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

TTBF posted:

If two subjects ally and one declares a war for independence, the other will be dragged into it. This is like that, but it's to see who becomes Japan. if you don't want to get your armies killed, just defend your own territory and try to white peace out as soon as possible. That makes it a pretty good recreation of what actual daimyo did.

Update: So I decided to give it another shot, while being savescummy, and I broke the alliance with the rebellious daimyo. A few months later, a different ally daimyo declares another suicidal war for emperor. (Sure enough, he's Miltech 4, the shogun is 3) So I fought them off for a while and was hoping I could get a white peace, only to find out that peace is greyed out because "you cannot negotiate separate peace with someone who is a former overlord of the defender." :cripes: Never mind that he's the former overlord of an attacker, not a defender, so the text isn't even accurate.

I guess I'll just wait till they fix that miltech bug to do my Japan game. Or maybe I'll just say gently caress it and start as Shogun.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shogun is a pretty consistent start to a Japan game, you just need to spam improve relations with everyone and start integrating them asap. It's probably possible to form Japan faster as a daimyo though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Production efficiency doesn't affect trade income at all. Autonomy does decrease trade power, but only by up to half. The amount of goods produced is totally unaffected by autonomy, so turning a territory into a state has a very marginal effect on trade income.

Production efficiency doesn't increase the amount of goods produced? Then what the hell does it effect?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Enjoy posted:

How do these stepped cores interact with claims? Does the game remember that you had a 10% reduction in price for the territory core when making the state core, or does it become a 20% reduction just for the territory core?

I haven't paid enough attention to it to say for sure, but the game likely just remembers that you get a reduction in coring price for the claim when you go from territory to state, just like any other coring discount. If you hover over the coring cost it will tell you what discounts/penalties you have.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Production efficiency is a bonus to production income.

Production income = (100% + PE) * (100 - autonomy) * trade value

Trade value = price of good * goods produced

Increasing goods produced and lowering autonomy increases your income, which can then be multiplied by your production efficiency bonus.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 1, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

QuarkJets posted:

Production efficiency doesn't increase the amount of goods produced? Then what the hell does it effect?

It increases how much revenue the government extracts from the goods that are produced. It's stuff like internal tariff taxes and the like.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, so the autonomy reduction is still good in provinces with high-value goods because the production income is going to be large. Any trade income just benefits from the increase in trade power, which is possibly only a marginal boost

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elman posted:

Trade power does get affected by it though? Even though it's not as big of a deal since autonomy only reduces trade power by 50%, and there's also trade companies.

It does, but max autonomy only reduces trade power by half. Since trade power only affects the share of the trade value that you control and not the total trade value, it's not a very big deal in nodes where you already dominate, and it can be compensated for with trade fleets.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The AI's enthusiasm for turning everything into full cores does make it quite a lot easier to westernize, since you don't have to deal with "oh, these provinces don't count, they're in trade companies!" Probably not an intended result, but convenient for now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really though the actual important reason to core territory is to get more manpower out of them so you can throw more lives into the grinder as you blob across the continent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I managed to get a 13k peasant revolt on an island in Indonesia as Russia. The island was still a colony when they revolted, so my colonist is apparently trapped there forever and can't be recalled. And I'm Russia, so I'm not keen on building an entire transport fleet in the Far East just to move an army big enough to kill 13k rebels in an amphibious landing for one island colony that I mostly made just so I could get the extra merchant from the East India Company decision. Cool! :thumbsup:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I managed to get a 13k peasant revolt on an island in Indonesia as Russia. The island was still a colony when they revolted, so my colonist is apparently trapped there forever and can't be recalled. And I'm Russia, so I'm not keen on building an entire transport fleet in the Far East just to move an army big enough to kill 13k rebels in an amphibious landing for one island colony that I mostly made just so I could get the extra merchant from the East India Company decision. Cool! :thumbsup:

Yeah same but with Ethiopia, why wont my colonist return home when rebels occupy the province?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Zombiepop posted:

Yeah same but with Ethiopia, why wont my colonist return home when rebels occupy the province?

Have you ever seen Apocalypse Now? Read Heart of Darkness?

Was his name Kurtz?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 2, 2016

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So, if I'm not a co-belligerent and I got dragged into an offensive war, am I probably fine if a peace is made by the AI and I have some territory in enemy hands?

I'm France and Austria dragged me into a war against the Ottomans, Castille, Aragon, Naples, and all the baby Ottoman vassals. I was trying to relax and let my manpower build up, but didn't want to drop the alliance due to Austria being so helpful in taking Italy.

I really don't want Castille to get an upper hand, but I need the war to end soon so I can get manpower back and get back to taking Italy and finishing off England. I'm at zero manpower, my fleet is shelved due to their naval blockade, 17k troops are trapped in England, and my two major stacks aren't full yet.

I don't trust the AI to not gently caress me over. It was admirable that Austria was already trying to get the Ottomans out of Serbia in 1509.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Do you have any Spanish cores? If not I'd say you're probably fine, though that depends on how badly you lose.

It seems like alliances with heathens got easier lately, didn't they? I'm surprised the Ottomans are allied with Spain by 1500.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
After failing my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! game I decided to do something easier. Picked 5 Colonies using Castile. It's now 1719, I got 5 colonies fairly long ago, just took the rest of the Caribbean from England/Holland for No Pirates in My Caribbean. Took Japan and Mexico/Cuba for their achievements. Anything else anyone can recommend to grab before riding out the rest of the time?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Elman posted:

Do you have any Spanish cores? If not I'd say you're probably fine, though that depends on how badly you lose.

It seems like alliances with heathens got easier lately, didn't they? I'm surprised the Ottomans are allied with Spain by 1500.
Austria just forced Hungary to give up one province to the Ottomans.

Castille looks like it'll never get Aragon, but I can't quite take them. Think I'll keep worming my way into Italy and eventually backstab Scotland to keep expanding.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst about thing about the states/territories change is that they replaced the +10% goods produced finisher for administrative ideas with +3 states. Just a flat +3 states. In other words, a bonus that gets worse as the game progresses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

The worst about thing about the states/territories change is that they replaced the +10% goods produced finisher for administrative ideas with +3 states. Just a flat +3 states. In other words, a bonus that gets worse as the game progresses.

Yeah, it's a laughably weak bonus considering how many states you get from tech.

I almost think the +3 was from when States were region-sized rather than area-sized and nobody remember to change it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, it's a laughably weak bonus considering how many states you get from tech.

I almost think the +3 was from when States were region-sized rather than area-sized and nobody remember to change it.
That or the number of states you get from tech is not working correctly.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Redchaostry posted:

After failing my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! game I decided to do something easier. Picked 5 Colonies using Castile. It's now 1719, I got 5 colonies fairly long ago, just took the rest of the Caribbean from England/Holland for No Pirates in My Caribbean. Took Japan and Mexico/Cuba for their achievements. Anything else anyone can recommend to grab before riding out the rest of the time?

Been doing a Spain achievement run myself.

I also got these:
4 trade companies with bonus merchants, 10 provinces with gold, Aden+Hormuz+Malacca, At every continent, Spain is the emperor (super easy: 17 out of 20 remaining princes, including Austria were protestant, yet external support from Russia, Ottomans, France, Pope ensured a Catholic empire; 2 alliances was all it took).
Master of India I already took in another run, and 100 years is a bit tight for it.
Maybe try to get the 500 heavy ship Armada?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that has less to do with states and more to do with rebalancing the best idea group in the game

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Aww, as Morocco I've started pushing into Tunis pretty hard since Iberia is a no-go for the moment and allied with a decently strong Ottomans. Tunis is allied to the Mamluks, who both I and the Ottomans have rivaled. I'm really disappointed that when I include the Mamluks as co-belligerants in the war that the game doesn't recognize their land as targets for my allies. Now there's no great way to get my new bros into the war other than waiting around and accumulating favors. Or am I missing something?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

One thing I don't really understand about states is how sometimes it seems I don't need to make permanent cores when I turn territories into states and sometimes I do. If you have a permanent claim on the area does it just automatically upgrade the core type? I'm not sure what's happening.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fister Roboto posted:

QuarkJets posted:

I think that has less to do with states and more to do with rebalancing the best idea group in the game

yeah, and in fact: it's still the best idea group in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just wish they had put it somewhere else. I love stacking GP bonuses.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another annoyance: going to war, having a fleet on auto explore get attacked, retreat back to port, then repeatedly try to go back on its mission, only to get run into the enemy stationed right outside. Over and over again. I can't cancel the mission, right clicking to move to the province doesn't work, even firing the explorer didn't stop it. I just had to accept the loss of that fleet.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mantis42 posted:

So I thought this was neat: someone on Reddit posted about the Chinese EU4 community, translating a bunch of posts from one of their forums: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/4h6euj/front_page_of_chinese_eu4_subreddit/

I really want to try their Asia rebalance mod, even though my Mandarin is pretty amateur level. It looks like they added a bunch of new provinces, events and tags (including a bunch of aborigine states in Australia Aozhou).

This is fantastic.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Trundel posted:

Aww, as Morocco I've started pushing into Tunis pretty hard since Iberia is a no-go for the moment and allied with a decently strong Ottomans. Tunis is allied to the Mamluks, who both I and the Ottomans have rivaled. I'm really disappointed that when I include the Mamluks as co-belligerants in the war that the game doesn't recognize their land as targets for my allies. Now there's no great way to get my new bros into the war other than waiting around and accumulating favors. Or am I missing something?

Try to declare war with them as belligerents and you'll be able to call the ottomans in. This has worked for me as a way around distant war penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Are your allies in multiplayer not allowed to use your transports? I had my fleet tagged for use by allies, yet he couldn't enter them. They were in the right province, he had "attach to allied armies" on (even though that probably does nothing in this case), yet he couldn't actually board my ships.

Maybe it was because there wasn't enough transports for his entire army? Your own army can detach enough people to fill the fleet, but maybe it works differently with allies?

• Locked thread