Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can't wait for his expose on James Wan Not Really Feeling Today

Ben Affleck has "indigestion". BvS leave a bad taste in your mouth, Ben?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I am so amazed that one dude is so willing to blow up any and all connections and relationship he had with a studio and the filmmakers working with it - he actually had an in with Snyder once upon a time - because of which publisher's comics he read as a kid. And all the while, he's being Gossip Gertie about it and trying incredibly hard to scatter the breadcrumbs that so clearly lead back to him by avoiding outright declarative statements.

It is the most brilliant slow-motion giant manbaby trainwreck I think I have ever seen on the internet. It's also unsurprising for a guy who thought the best idea for him to do was get into a boxing ring with a filmmaker whose movies he had ravaged up to that point.

While still wearing contact lenses.

With no headgear.

After insulting him and his work to his face.

Devin Faraci is a loving gibbering idiot is what I'm saying.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

To be fair, those mumble core movies are mostly garbage

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

And yet, if you're going to be in a combat sports environment with one of those filmmakers, you better hope it's one of the Duplass Brothers, and not the one who is like a foot taller and in much better shape than you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

And yet, if you're going to be in a combat sports environment with one of those filmmakers, you better hope it's one of the Duplass Brothers, and not the one who is like a foot taller and in much better shape than you.

After Creep, I think it's believable that Mark at least could rip him up.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

True. I guess he could take on Aaron Katz and have it be a fair fight.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Devin Faraci is a loving moron who needs to stop spreading rumor like it's gospel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Has anyone got a link to when he got punched in the face in public?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Has anyone got a link to when he got punched in the face in public?

Unless there was another time I'm not familiar with

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"Devin Faraci, the Badass-In-Chief"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to like him. But then he got loving obnoxious and lovely. His site is great and some great articles pop up....but I think he surrounds himself with too many likeminded people.

As much as I fuckin loathe Beavis, not one person on that site liked the movie. Even the comment sections feel like the worst echo chamber in the world. And any time Faraci responds, it's always blunt and rude. Dude is kind of a bad person, despite what Kumill has said.

Also, he hates Aliens, so gently caress him.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Faraci literally said that he wanted someone to die and also to gently caress their wife because that person had an opinion he didn't like, he's "gently caress that guy" made flesh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I used to just think he was a proudly ignorant nerd, which is whatever, but he seems to really want you to know what a scumbag he is.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I had never heard of Devin Faraci until ten minutes ago but anyone who doesn't like Aliens is a dipshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I had never heard of Devin Faraci until ten minutes ago but anyone who doesn't like Aliens is a dipshit.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/26/alien-vs-aliens

Maybe hate is a strong word, but he really doesn't like it at all apperently.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This thread occasionally dips into "Marvel Vs. DC" territory (as in, they are two mutually exclusive things that we must stake our own egos on) but Faraci seems to have adopted it as a life philosophy. I was astonished to see how old he looks. He looks like he's in his 40s, and he's never left the playground. He's still insisting that Playstation rules and Nintendo drools.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Snowman_McK posted:

This thread occasionally dips into "Marvel Vs. DC" territory (as in, they are two mutually exclusive things that we must stake our own egos on)

I haven't seen much of that on this forum really, at least if you're talking about the IPs and comics in general and not just the movies.

Like, I don't read comic books and don't give a poo poo about them, despite my own (poo poo)posting being generally pro-DC movies and anti-Marvel movies. It's just that Marvel has employed a strict top-down approach to their film making which has resulted in a series of extremely safe, boring, and homogeneous products and I think that's where most posters here are coming from. DC's movies have, at least since Nolan, been very different than Marvel's and largely appeal to a different audience.

Then again maybe I'm wrong and missing a lot of subtle commentary on the comic books between jousting fanboys, I dunno.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I haven't seen much of that on this forum really, at least if you're talking about the IPs and comics in general and not just the movies.

Like, I don't read comic books and don't give a poo poo about them, despite my own (poo poo)posting being generally pro-DC movies and anti-Marvel movies. It's just that Marvel has employed a strict top-down approach to their film making which has resulted in a series of extremely safe, boring, and homogeneous products and I think that's where most posters here are coming from. DC's movies have, at least since Nolan, been very different than Marvel's and largely appeal to a different audience.

Then again maybe I'm wrong and missing a lot of subtle commentary on the comic books between jousting fanboys, I dunno.

No, it's that. There are legit criticisms of both approaches, and there are people who feel strongly one way or the other. As the converation gets heated, somebody might make a sweeping generalisation about the sort of folk who like the thing they don't like, but it's rare. Cruise on over the IMFDB boards, or any comments section, and there is a built in assumption that you are a fanboy for one or the other.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I have found entertainment in going to the news sites who've posted negative reviews of Civil War just to read the comments.

They are beautiful.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The comments sections of anything are always good for a laugh. Or cry.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I have found entertainment in going to the news sites who've posted negative reviews of Civil War just to read the comments.
Aside from like Armond White I'm frankly surprised anyone's got the sack to write a negative review of a Marvel movie that isn't just a "minor" or "side" thing like Ant-Man or GOTG or whatever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh we're back to ascribing bravery and cowardice to people who don't review movies the way one doesn't want them to.

AOU proves there's no conspiracy whatsoever to protect Marvel or that people or brainwashed or whatever fool thing reinforces your narrative.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh we're back to ascribing bravery and cowardice to people who don't review movies the way one doesn't want them to.
Actually I'm ascribing cowardice to online media who don't have the sack to say anything that might get them flooded by angry commenters and care more about easy clicks than actual positions, but continue to feel like some kind of persecuted minority you crazy man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are we taking Civil War discussion to its own thread? Just checking, I stayed away from this thread since Thursday and I'm not reading through 500 posts. :v:

My local theater managed to inflate the runtime by a whole hour with an wholly unnecessary, but at least well timed break and a trailer preroll that had every single nerd film of the next two years in it. (Independence Day starts with "it's been 20 years" and I was like, yeah, sure feels like it by now). This did give me the chance to see the Doctor Strange trailer in 3D and I gotta say, I think that's gonna be one that will actually lose something in 2D. Seeing it in theaters for sure now.

Also kind of a pity I'm following this thread because if that trailer, in 3D, had been the first I'd learned of a) a Doctor Strange movie with b) Benedict Cumberbatch and c) Tilda Swinton, I would have flipped my poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And again, that's ludicrous because a lot of people negatively reviewed a Marvel movie not a year ago without fear of repercussion.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

And again, that's ludicrous because a lot of people negatively reviewed a Marvel movie not a year ago without fear of repercussion.
Yeah I don't know how fanboys recovered from such scathing reviews as "entertaining fun, but not as good as Avengers 1".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Them's the rules, and Fox are totally in the right.

I would be 100% on Fox' side if all they did was sit on the rights to be assholes to Disney, because that's pretty funny. What is not funny is that they have to crank out lovely movies to keep the right. I realize those are some prime champagne problems, but I'd rather not have to actively decide to not watch a FF movie, the wasted potential makes my heart ache every time.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The quips were on point!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't think this is funny in the way the creator intended it t be:

It looks like a parody of editorial cartoons.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

AOU proves there's no conspiracy whatsoever to protect Marvel or that people or brainwashed or whatever fool thing reinforces your narrative.

The MSJ posted:

This is such a loving mess I don't even know what it's trying to say.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Nah, the metaphor almost holds through the whole thing, if it were a parody of editorial cartoons "abandoned" would be represented by a massive, swelling crowd having fun and Feige would be represented by Senator Kelly from Xmen 1 melting.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It'd still be a stretch to say it was universally praised.

Those smaller sites that gave it rotten reviewers weren't bombed back into the stone age by angry fans. I'm pretty sure they'll still around. Honestly, what do these sites have to gain by this imagined conspiracy to assail Warner Bros.' movies and sing the adulations of Disney? WB is no less an enormous company. If reviews were being "bought" they'd both participate in the effort.

I hate to break it to you but I think a good number of people legitimately enjoy these movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I am actually curious to see how the general audience will respond to Civil War. The movie can be seen as making Captain America or Iron Man look bad, depending on who you ask, and the ending does not really resolve it.

edit:
By the way, Jeremy Irons will be in the Justice League movie too.
http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/04/30/exclusive-jeremy-irons-will-bring-batmans-alfred-to-justice-league-of-america

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I am actually curious to see how the general audience will respond to Civil War. The movie can be seen as making Captain America or Iron Man look bad, depending on who you ask, and the ending does not really resolve it.

I will argue that it does neither, and that it is poorer for it. But that's the kind of placating that the people who are into these movies are looking for, so, they'll be happy with it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

Those smaller sites that gave it rotten reviewers weren't bombed back into the stone age by angry fans. I'm pretty sure they'll still around. Honestly, what do these sites have to gain by this imagined conspiracy to assail Warner Bros.' movies and sing the adulations of Disney? WB is no less an enormous company. If reviews were being "bought" they'd both participate in the effort.

I hate to break it to you but I think a good number of people legitimately enjoy these movies.

You're reading a whole lot into that post that wasn't there.

You are seriously emotionally invested in this poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman fans (not DC fans) are legit scary and yet Bevis got panned. I think if people hate a Marvel movie, they won't be afraid to speak up. For most, Age of Ultron didn't lose it's luster until the second viewing. Chalk it up to seeing the characters you love again or whatever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Batman fans (not DC fans) are legit scary and yet Bevis got panned. I think if people hate a Marvel movie, they won't be afraid to speak up. For most, Age of Ultron didn't lose it's luster until the second viewing. Chalk it up to seeing the characters you love again or whatever.

I struggled through one viewing. I got bored in the fight scenes. I think I'm old. :smith:

TFRazorsaw posted:

The arguments you're having with people you've imagined don't work for the rest of us if you don't say their parts too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I just think most critics are bad, personally.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

There were a poo poo ton of people just waiting to jump on the #NotMyBatman bandwagon but I can't imagine there were all that many #NotMyVision or #NotMyBlackPanther or #NotMyUltron people out there. Mostly due to Batfans really really identifying strongly with the character on a personal level (there is a ridiculous number of people out there with Batman tattoos) but I guess also partly due to Marvel going out of their way to create movies that catered to their fans' expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Batman fans (not DC fans) are legit scary and yet Bevis got panned.
Yeah but in that case a huge number of people online had already decided the movie was poo poo well ahead of the movie actually existing. The exact opposite is true for MCU films, except for the vanishingly small number of people who will always claim that [Next Big Marvel Movie] will be the Death of Marvel when that's transparently and consistently loving retarded.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 2, 2016

• Locked thread